• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 Announced (XB1/PC, Holiday 2016) Gameplay Trailer

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
port begging: the thread.

anyway, I'm glad online co-op is confirmed. That's the main thing I was looking for.

The Call of Duty crowd comment is just so dumb sorry. It's a way to tear the "gamers you don't like" with the same brush. That said this looks disappointing and like a DR3 reskin, which I never finished because it was so boring after 20 hours and the map was reallly restrictive and shitty.
... No. The Call of Duty comment is what those from the dev team themselves have openly stated upon 3's reveal and said mentality is the very cause of what a misguided turn this franchise took, making drastic concessions in a comical attempt to lure in a demographic that never has and never will show more than a brief fleeting interest (if that) in Dead Rising. All the while at the expense of what made Dead Rising replayable and stand out from all other zombie-oriented games with its unique premise.

Thanks for the incorrect assumption though.

Wait.... people actually liked the timed missions? Always hated them for forcing me to skim through all the areas and miss out on the cool weapons.
If only Dead Rising originally encouraged replays and exploration in a variety of ways combined with a compact environment.

Wouldn't a solution simply be giving s-rank for best times without any actual failing game over (unless a "C" counts a failing).
No, the solution would be putting some actual thought into the game's design again for a change.

I don't know that I'd worry yet

They said no timer last time, too
That's a demo timer since it immediately cuts to a "end of the ride buddy" prompt once it expires; otherwise the developers themselves wouldn't repeatedly be stating there won't a timer. That's ignoring 3's being far too lenient as well.

Dead Rising 3 was a weird situation, because I thought that it felt great to play if you did your first playthrough on Nightmare, since you weren't leveled up into trivializing everything and the time pressure was a real thing to worry about. If you did it regularly then revisited the game on Nightmare, it was much easier to blow through.
Even on a fresh save Nightmare was piss easy. The game was very eager to quickly power up the player to the point of threat being non-existent.

Rembrandt

Banned
The timer wasn't even an issue in two, imo. DR1 was the one restricted by it. The removal doesn't bother me but I'll probably play with it on if given the option

Chinner

Banned
In an alternative universe, Dead Rising could have been a highly respected game franchise that has the same game philosophy of Dark Souls. However, instead of having a Lovecraft story, it would a satire of culture.

Nah, instead Dead Rising is to turn into what it's mocked. Replacing Frank's voice actor just further cements it. it's the Dynasty Warriors of Zombies. Just forgettable.

derFeef

... No. The Call of Duty comment is what those from the dev team themselves have openly stated upon 3's reveal and said mentality is the very cause of what a misguided turn this franchise took, making drastic concessions in a comical attempt to lure in a demographic that never has and never will show more than a brief fleeting interest (if that) in Dead Rising. All the while at the expense of what made Dead Rising replayable and stand out from all other zombie-oriented games with its unique premise.

Thanks for the incorrect assumption though.

Fair enough, I never read that. It's being used across other games as well though, even if it's becoming less relevant.

Rembrandt

Banned
In an alternative universe, Dead Rising could have been a highly respected game franchise that has the same game philosophy of Dark Souls. However, instead of having a Lovecraft story, it would a satire of culture.

Nah, instead Dead Rising is to turn into what it's mocked. Replacing Frank's voice actor just further cements it. it's the Dynasty Warriors of Zombies. Just forgettable.

nobody wants the same game philosophy of dark souls in this series but you. keep that shit out of here.

seems like people are forgetting the general idea of DR. Now its the Dynasty Warriors of Zombies but it wasn't when they had an achievement to kill 53,594 zombies in the first game?

Chinner

Banned
nobody wants the same game philosophy of dark souls in this series but you. keep that shit out of here.

seems like people are forgetting the general idea of DR. Now its the Dynasty Warriors of Zombies but it wasn't when they had an achievement to kill 53,594 zombies in the first game?
It was already in the original, design wise. The sequels were dumbed down, and critically and commercially they've not benefited from the changes.

Seems like people have forgotten that the original game was brilliantly designed in terms of game mechanics, and brought a fresh look to replayability. Shamefully. The franchise is a husk of what it used to be, and just caters to the lowest common denominator. There are already 100s of zombies games where you mindless kill zombies, Dead Rising doesn't need to be just that - this is why Dead Rising 3 is known throughout the community as a turd.

I'm a little worried about removing the timer completely, but the bottom line is I feel like the series is in good hands and I'm willing to give Capcom Vancouver the benefit of the doubt. I don't think they've gotten nearly enough credit for their work on Dead Rising. DR2 and OTR were fantastic and I thought DR3 was the best game in the series.

I adore DR1 but I've also loved the direction they've taken the franchise. This is easily my most wanted game for 2016.

Justinh

Huh? This takes place way after 1. There were people in the middle of a zombie outbreak putting up decorations?

I'm just assuming that the outbreak happened during the Christmas season and all the decorations were already up.
You know, how like after Thanksgiving all the stores need to hammer it into your head that Christmas is coming and look Christmas carols over and over again, reminding you that you can't escape...

I'm a little worried about removing the timer completely, but the bottom line is I feel like the series is in good hands and I'm willing to give Capcom Vancouver the benefit of the doubt. I don't think they've gotten nearly enough credit for their work on Dead Rising. DR2 and OTR were fantastic and I thought DR3 was the best game in the series.

You know... I wouldn't disagree with someone that Dead Rising 1 was the best in the series (it's still my favorite, but that might be nostalgia talking), but if I want to play a Dead Rising game nowadays, I always go back to 3 despite having all of them (save for Off the Record
, and Chop til You Drop, lol
) available

FordGTGuy

Banned
From B-roll:
VtDrlyA.jpg

SzJZEsX.jpg

Game looks great, but what the hell did they do to Frank? They ruined the iconic look of the franchise character.

No receding hair, no buy.

Edit: just saw the pics above. Fuck me, he looks so generic. I know it'll be a fun game, but ugh.

Game looks great, but what the hell did they do to Frank? They ruined the iconic look of the franchise character.

No receding hair, no buy.

Edit: just saw the pics above. Fuck me, he looks so generic. I know it'll be a fun game, but ugh.

they made a point of saying he's 54 years old but he looks and sounds younger than he ever did

it's pretty dumb

derFeef

If you implement a selfie feature, maybe make the face/head model actually a bit better? It looks really outdated. Hopefully they are still working on that.

MisterHero

YES YES YES YES

Is this Frank going back to Willamette or is it a remake?

it has the improvised weapon junk from the later games. I always felt the more mundane the items were in DR1, that made the situations even more outrageous.

Game looks great in motion! Still bummed it's going with DR3's drab color pallete. Even the Christmas decorations look dull because of it.

It looked like the objective name at the bottom had a bar ticking down but I thought it was confirmed there's no timer.

How do you make a Dead Rising game at Christmas and not have there be a timer and the ultimte objective being getting a present for your kid under the Christmas tree before 6am on the 25th?

jond76

Banned
YES YES YES YES

Is this Frank going back to Willamette or is it a remake?

it has the improvised weapon junk from the later games. I always felt the more mundane the items were in DR1, that made the situations even more outrageous.

The devs were on IGNs stream earlier and said its a sequel that has Frank going back to Willamette. They didn't say why. Secret for now.

DOWN

Banned
So at least a timed exclusive. Microsoft published Ryse or DR3 or something right? And those lost exclusive status but still weren't on PS4.

Did they co publish Rise of the Tomb Raider?

The demo is so damn fun. The weapons are crazy. That powersuit is soooo awesome! My fav of the show.

Some things I learned talking to a Capcom Vancouver rep:

1. They will not be talking exact resolution nor framerate at E3, but frame rate is already improved from DR3.

2. Game is already running more zombies on screen than DR3.

3. There will be more variety of zombies than DR3.

4. DR4 uses improved version of DR3 engine. Development started 8 months after finishing DR3.

5. Capcom Vancouver is developing, MS is pubilishing. 1 year exclusive with MS. Slightly different deal than DR3.

TrojanAg

Fuck the timer. I'm glad it's gone. Probably the one aspect of this franchise that I haven't liked since the first game. I understand why it's there, but I just was never a fan

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The demo is so damn fun. The weapons are crazy. That powersuit is soooo awesome! My fav of the show.

Some things I learned talking to a Capcom Vancouver rep:

1. They will not be talking exact resolution nor framerate at E3, but frame rate is already improved from DR3.

2. Game is already running more zombies on screen than DR3.

3. There will be more variety of zombies than DR3.

4. DR4 uses improved version of DR3 engine. Development started 8 months after finishing DR3.

5. Capcom Vancouver is developing, MS is pubilishing. 1 year exclusive with MS. Slightly different deal than DR3.

(borrowing)
raw

Late is better than never. Enjoy the game Xbox dudes.

Top Bottom