• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising being remastered for PS4/XBO/PC, DR2 and OTR to PS4/XBO

Apt101

No. The game doesnt work without the timer. You cant just rip it out, the entire campaign and every single quest revolves around things changing around you based on time of day. if you want to play a game to mow down zombies play the hundreds of other zombie games out there.

It's like saying you'll play majoras mask without the day system. It's completely moronic.

They could have a 24 hour cycle that repeats without a hard timer for the game. Plenty of games do that.

They could have a 24 hour cycle that repeats without a hard timer for the game. Plenty of games do that.
No, they really couldn't. The characters in the story still make multiple references to a helicopter that's coming in three days, which is also directly related to a number of endings that would be impossible to get without the timer.

There's a lot of other little things, like
the military in Overtime mode. If you're "killed" by one, they knock you out, throwing you into a helicopter, where you wake up several hours later. You only have 24 hours so getting captured means losing time and potentially failing Overtime altogether.
The cultists in 72 hour mode work similarly.

gelf

This bitching about the timer does a lot to explain the homogeneity of modern AAA game design.
It does seem like you can't make a game where things are missable on a first playthrough and/or your choices have consequences without a lot of complaints. Even if the game is short and meant to be replayed. No we still have to follow the open world route we've had since GTA3 where the whole world is unaffected by your actions(or lack of) until you start a mission.

Justinh

Remaster should have text you can only read with a 4K TV.

Hey! I already made that joke!
Seriously though, I didn't have an HDTV back when I first tried to play this game and it was so infuriating not being able to read what Otis so desperately wanted to tell you. I think that's why I shelved it and didn't actually play it until many, many years later.

Well, that and the gun aiming with a left stick always put me off. Took me a while to accept that, too.

Back on timertalk®. I think if they were to add a mode or something without a timer (which... whatever #teamtimer), I think they'd need to call it "Easy" mode instead of "Normal." I wonder if Dead Rising 3 would've been more fondly remembered by series fans if "Nightmare" mode was the normal mode. I think it would've been.

pa22word

Hey! I already made that joke!
Seriously though, I didn't have an HDTV back when I first tried to play this game and it was so infuriating not being able to read what Otis so desperately wanted to tell you. I think that's why I shelved it and didn't actually play it until many, many years later.

Well, that and the gun aiming with a left stick always put me off. Took me a while to accept that, too.

Back on timertalk®. I think if they were to add a mode or something without a timer (which... whatever #teamtimer), I think they'd need to call it "Easy" mode instead of "Normal." I wonder if Dead Rising 3 would've been more fondly remembered by series fans if "Nightmare" mode was the normal mode. I think it would've been.

Na, nightmare mode is complete garbage. The game's gameplay just isn't set up to facilitate rapid movement, the level design isn't either, and the way the main quest and sidequesrs are set up in dr3 makes it impossible to replicate the design of the other dead Rising games just by making the game end half as soon as it would otherwise.

This isn't even getting into the qol things established since dr1 that are missing from nightmare mode, something as simple as marking save spots on the map is absent because the game was set up with auto saves in mind. Or the fact that the main quest features no timers at all, so even if you do go into the game and hack the timer to run at an appropriate speed you'd have no way of measuring your progress unless you've beaten the game before because the game is set up under the assumption that you'd never have that issue.

As I posted before: nightmare mode is something they put together in 15 mins after the e3 thrashing the game got. It's a pathetic token thrown in so anytime fans or the press asked about it they could hand wave concerns away.

At the end of the day no matter what little modes they tack on to convince lazy reviewers that the game really is dead Rising and they can tell people in reviews it is because a mode they didn't touch is right there for them, dead Rising 3 is zombie warriors.

Justinh

As I posted before: nightmare mode is something they put together in 15 mins after the e3 thrashing the game got. It's a pathetic token thrown in so anytime fans or the press asked about it they could hand wave concerns away.

Interesting... I think I've only played normal mode once for a costume, and whenever I play the game, it's in nightmare mode. I find it more fun, and I like to see how many people I can gather in a run.

BCole19

Banned
Why do you even need one?

That was my final score card on my first run on the PC version. I slayed zombies for hours until I just got tired of the game and finished it, and I had a full damned day left. The full timer is like 30 hours long in Dead Rising 3, and Overtime has no timer at all. If you're "rushed" being asked to beat a 10 hour game in 30 hours then I really don't know what to tell you. The game even has a chapter by chapter reload so if you somehow (I say somehow because I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible unless you leave the game running for 20 hours accidentally) get stuck you can reset the timer per chapter, or start at chapter 1 and just go rampage for 30 hours. Sandbox mode in DR2OTR has like 5 hours of content, so really what is the difference here other than the name?

You're bitching because I want a sandbox mode? Who the hell cares. Dead Rising 2 had one and I would love for DR4 to have one. Just a mode with no quests or anything just for me to mess around in.

If the anti-timer people want a sandbox mode, I completely agree. DR2:OTR did it right IMO and was good. That can't hurt as an option. One you don't constantly need to eat.

But theres no need for a lack of the timer in the main mode with the story. It's an integral part of the game. And frankly, I agree with the people saying it explains modern games homogenization. I don't think Dead Rising needs to be just another sandbox zombie game. The timer is what makes it so good and unique. The comparison to groundhog day absolutely nailed it.

Daffy Duck

Reading Reddit it seems the 10th Anniversary is August 8th, I wonder if we will get a stealth release of this game digitally on that day.

Would be amazing to get it and hopefulyl running at 1080p 60fps would be amazing.

pa22word

You're bitching because I want a sandbox mode? Who the hell cares. Dead Rising 2 had one and I would love for DR4 to have one. Just a mode with no quests or anything just for me to mess around in.

I saying it's silly to "bitch" about it not being there because the entire game is already a sandbox. All you have to do is hit left on the dpad and everything related to the story and sidequests are gone. There, sandbox mode. It's like saying gta should have a sandbox mode that rips out all the story mission prompts because you can't tolerate looking at them on the pause menu. I just don't get it. The game is already an open world fuck off game by design. What would a specific sandbox mode add?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I saying it's silly to "bitch" about it not being there because the entire game is already a sandbox. All you have to do is hit left on the dpad and everything related to the story and sidequests are gone. There, sandbox mode. It's like saying gta should have a sandbox mode that rips out all the story mission prompts because you can't tolerate looking at them on the pause menu. I just don't get it. The game is already an open world fuck off game by design. What would a specific sandbox mode add?

Sand and boxes. It's pretty self explanatory.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Have you even played dr3? The game is a sandbox.

Nah, I got the gist of it from your description. And the Dead Rising 4 footage I saw (which, as I understand it, is going further in this no-timer sandbox direction) made the game look so aimless.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a Windows 10 and Store exclusive.

I can't see that happening solely because it's on PS4. What's the point?

after all, DR4 is just a temporary exclusive, so why would a remaster of DR1 be W10 exclusive when the console version isn't Xbone exclusive?

Omikaru

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a Windows 10 and Store exclusive.

I doubt it. If it's coming to PS4, Microsoft hasn't snapped it up as an exclusive (any sort of deal would keep it off PS4 and Steam, presumably). In that case, Capcom will want to maximise sales by putting it on Steam. Assuming it's getting a PC version, of course.

It'd be pretty cool if Capcom released all the Dead Rising games on modern platforms, maybe as some sort of collection? I'd totally buy a retail copy of those, even if I had to import from Asia. Dead Rising was one of my favourite new IPs last gen, and while Dead Rising 3 was disappointing, I still love the first two (and Off The Record).

I hope it opens things up to Case 0 getting a port as well

I still think it's the second best game after DR1. Being able to play it without the awful framerate of the 360 version would be excellent.

Caderfix

Jesus Christ, the amount of salt caused by a simple "Get rid of the timer and Im there day1" is ridiculous. You might disagree and Capcom may or may not give us the option to choose, there's no reason to be an ass about the situation.

I love Dark Souls and I don't act like a baby when someone asks for an easy mode or a map, even though I think it'd be bad for the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jesus Christ, the amount of salt caused by a simple "Get rid of the timer and Im there day1" is ridiculous. You might disagree and Capcom may or may not give us the option to choose, there's no reason to be an ass about the situation.

I love Dark Souls and I don't act like a baby when someone asks for an easy mode or a map, even though I think it'd be bad for the game.

But its the main thing that makes dead rising dead rising.

Its like me saying about Splinter Cell, if they take out the stealth im there day 1??!

Ganado

An easy mode would be a mode with a slower timescale. Games story is about Frank being there for 3 days and events happening depending on time of the day, removing it would make none of that work.

Maybe people are salty because babies like you have dozens of generic open world zombie games and you're so selfish that you feel that every single game on the planet has to cater specifically to you and everyone that's enjoyed this 10 year old franchise can fuck off because it's not what YOU want as someone that has no history with the series.

Why can't you go and play something else?

We don't have that option because people like you keep killing the only franchise that gives us the type of gameplay/story/environment that the Dead Rising series used to give before babies started complaining and forcing the devs to dumb the series down.

It's been explained in this thread several times now that the timer is what makes the Dead Rising series and casual players have no business dictating the direction the series should go when they have dozens of other generic games that they can play since nothing else like Dead Rising exists.

Maybe people are salty because babies like you have dozens of generic open world zombie games and you're so selfish that you feel that every single game on the planet has to cater specifically to you and everyone that's enjoyed this 10 year old franchise can fuck off because it's not what YOU want as someone that has no history with the series.

We don't have that option because people like you keep killing the only franchise that gives us the type of gameplay/story/environment that the Dead Rising series used to give before babies started complaining and forcing the devs to dumb the series down.

It's been explained in this thread several times now that the timer is what makes the Dead Rising series and casual players have no business dictating the direction the series should go when they have dozens of other generic games that they can play since nothing else like Dead Rising exists.

done and dusted

The timer debate's been going on since DR1 frankly. Didn't the Wii version change or do away with it?

there was no timer in that version iirc. Time passed with story missions, although I imagine that was due to hardware limitations rather than design.

Caderfix

An easy mode would be a mode with a slower timescale. Games story is about Frank being there for 3 days and events happening depending on time of the day, removing it would make none of that work.

I completely get that and I agree with you too. That's why I used the Dark Souls example, as an easy mode and a map would ruin it, imo. What I'm talking about is people acting as if they were offended by what others want.

Where did I ask for the timer to be removed? Where did I even say I like open world games?

It doesn't matter how old the franchise is or how much you love it, it doesn't justify acting like an asshole to someone that wants something different like YOU just did to someone that doesn't even want something different in the first place. So thank you for being a perfect example of what I was talking about.

People will voice what they want and the devs, many times will cater to that. Acting like a child won't make things stay the same.

If someone's wants get you worked up so easily, grow up.

I will pay $60 for this I don't care. On any current gen platform

The timer debate will never die. It started when 4 was announced to not have one and it shall continue forever.

I didn't see that Dead Rising 4 doesn't have a timer.

I lost a lot of faith with them with Dead Rising 3. Dead Rising 4 had a bit of hope from me since it was "going back to it's roots" as people say. They just lost ALL of that confidence again.

ZeroCDR

This is pretty cool, especially if the remake turns out to be meh. I love the original Dead Rising.

Timer didn't really bother me and that sort of stuff usually makes me panic. The game is made for figuring it out and leveling up over multiple playthroughs.

Shin-Ra

The evolution of Frank West, in the first game only.

DR4.jpg

Not exactly an evolution here as they released the same time but Frank's more detailed (hair especially) in the closer shot
DR1.jpg

DR2.jpg

DR5.jpg

Gameplay / Cutscene
DR3.jpg

Dominator

I am so down to play this game again. First thing I did was always run to the supermarket and jump onto the rafters for the katana. Slice and dice some fools.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-18-looks-like-the-original-dead-rising-is-headed-to-ps4

UPDATE 9.50pm: Dead Rising will launch on PlayStation 4, Capcom has just confirmed to Eurogamer. But that's not all - it will also be released on Xbox One and PC.

Oh, and Dead Rising 2? That's headed to new consoles as well.

"Capcom will be bringing Dead Rising to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. In addition, Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record will make their way onto Xbox One and PS4. We will have more news to share soon."

Off the Record was the version of DR2 which brought back Dead Rising 1's protagonist Frank West, which makes sense as he's the star of the show in DR1 and the upcoming DR4 on Xbox One and PC, also due this year.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Since the cat's now out of the bag, yes, DR1 is coming to XB1, PS4, and PC (Steamworks).

In addition, DR2 and DR2:OTR is coming to XB1 and PS4. (PC already has them)

We'll have more info later :)

Since the cat's now out of the bag, yes, DR1 is coming to XB1, PS4, and PC (Steamworks).

Awesome. Will pick up 1 and OTR when they are out, hopefully soon :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I know "later" is not now, but I'll try anyway:
- The XBLA stuff (Case Zero and Case West) -- are they a part of this?
- ETA 2016 or 2017?

Top Bottom