• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Coming to Wii - Famitsu

Jocchan said:
Fixed.

Saying it's an "inferior version" is too much simplistic, because it implies everything else remains the same (and if this were the case I'd agree with you) but this is not (or it doesn't seem to be) the case.
A radically different number of on-screen enemies already implies a radical change in gameplay, and the fact they seem to be making it more similar to RE4 confirms the difference is noticeable enough for them to have to change the core gameplay itself to counter-balance it.
So, basically, because of the Wii hardware limitations they're making a different game (how much different remains to be seen).
This about sums it up(as far as the info we have). Id honestly rather have a more enclosed space with less zombies, but most were as vicious as the crimsons from REmake. That would be better imo, because most of the zombies didnt do much anyway but take up space. I guess that was the point, but still.

Dascu

Zero_Phoenix said:
The weirdest things about the screen is there are some dense zombie groups, but only really close to the player. There's no shot that shows more than about 20 zombies on the screen.

It doesn't make sense because what happens if you get away from those 20 zombies? Do you have a big empty hall all around you?
Look harder. I see two screenshots with at least over two dozen zombies.

domlolz

Banned
Interesting decision

A game which you fight hordes of zombies,hundreds at a time is being ported to the Wii-it's not going to be the same game but this is Capcom soooo.....

kbear

Blacktin0 said:
That is the way you read my post i never said this version would or could be superior i stated that it is the ideal choice for me to purchase.
That's the way everyone read your post, not just me. Judging by your complete lack of punctuation, I'd say you're in the wrong here.

Nolan.

domlolz said:
Interesting decision

A game which you fight hordes of zombies,hundreds at a time is being ported to the Wii-it's not going to be the same game but this is Capcom soooo.....

It could be good, could be like red steel with zombies.

Chinner

Banned
Someone said on another forum that they may be using the RE4 camera system to artifically make you feel more enclosed to make up for the lack of zombies. Makes sense.

I MAY JUST REPLAY DEAD RISING EVEN THOUGH I DID SO A FEW WEEKS AGO

Romaji

Yes, it seems like they'll be scaling back the number of enemies on screen. My Japanese is a bit rusty, but here's a translation of one of the interview questions.

Famitsu: Being surrounded by tons of zombies was one of a main appeals in the original. Do you feel you'll have to lower the count in the Wii version?

Nakai: In the 360 version, you know there are a lot of zombies because the area is filled with them on into the background. This time we're working on a system in which the number of zombies nearby the player will instill a sense of "they'll be there" as they head through.

They're skewing it towards a casual crowd so difficulty is dropped. New stages, bosses, items. Picture taking is cut.

Won

Romaji said:
Yes, it seems like they'll be scaling back the number of enemies on screen. My Japanese is a bit rusty, but here's a translation of one of the interview questions.

They're skewing it towards a casual crowd so difficulty is dropped. New stages, bosses, items. Picture taking is cut.

What? Nooooooo!

Jocchan said:
Saying it's an "inferior version" is too much simplistic, because it implies everything else remains the same (and if this were the case I'd agree with you) but this is not (or it doesn't seem to be) the case.
A radically different number of on-screen enemies already implies a radical change in gameplay, and the fact they seem to be making it more similar to RE4 confirms the difference is noticeable enough for them to have to change the core gameplay itself to counter-balance it.
So, basically, because of the Wii hardware limitations they're making a different game (how much different remains to be seen). Not better and not worse (we don't know yet), just different.

Ultimately a huge part of Dead Rising was the number of zombies on screen. If perfectly captured the sheer insanity of the situation, and toning down their numbers is going to give a completely different, and in my opinion inferior, experience.

From whats being described, and this is all speculation on my part, they are going to make the game easier. Dead Rising was a very hard game that stressed the consequence of choice and made the final reward all the sweeter. If the Wii really can't put that many zombies on screen then all it does is confirm that this generation has opened up new possibilities for gameplay beyond graphics, something Nintendo fans feircely contest.

Dascu said:

The 360 version had hundreds, and not just in the tunnels.

Blacktin0

Banned
kbear said:
That's the way everyone read your post, not just me. Judging by your complete lack of punctuation, I'd say you're in the wrong here.

Who the heck are you Walrus my teacher? it is not my fault you choose to jump to a different conclusion.

TheHeretic said:
The 360 version had hundreds, and not just in the tunnels.

Yep, I don't see how anyone could make out more than 20 zombies in these shots anyways. Most of the shots have 0-6 zombies on the screen... It's not just about the visuals in the number of zombies. The massive zombie count in the 360 version really did radically change the gameplay. There's still no other game quite like it.

Hero

Compared to what they could've announced, this is cool. Will await more details. As long as this paves the way for DR2, I'm happy.

kbear

Blacktin0 said:
Who the heck are you Walrus my teacher? it is not my fault you choose to jump to a different conclusion.
Then word your posts better. Nobody "jumped to a conclusion"... we read it for what it said. We can't read your mind. I'm just saying...

Vagabundo

Hero said:
Compared to what they could've announced, this is cool. Will await more details. As long as this paves the way for DR2, I'm happy.

True, we could have had Imagine ZombieZ or somesuch...

I'm happy to go were Capcom leads, I've liked their stuff on the Wii so far. If they can create an atmospheric game with decent controls I'm in, GAF game purist be damned.

Vagabundo said:
True, we could have had Imagine ZombieZ or somesuch...

I'm happy to go were Capcom leads, I've liked their stuff on the Wii so far. If they can create an atmospheric game with decent controls I'm in, GAF game purist be damned.

:lol

VAIL

Cool, I suppose...DR with re4 control should be a good time.

I still want some goddamn original content though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zero_Phoenix said:
The weirdest things about the screen is there are some dense zombie groups, but only really close to the player. There's no shot that shows more than about 20 zombies on the screen.

Dascu said:
So uh...24 zombies then. :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TheHeretic said:
Ultimately a huge part of Dead Rising was the number of zombies on screen. If perfectly captured the sheer insanity of the situation, and toning down their numbers is going to give a completely different, and in my opinion inferior, experience.

From whats being described, and this is all speculation on my part, they are going to make the game easier. Dead Rising was a very hard game that stressed the consequence of choice and made the final reward all the sweeter. If the Wii really can't put that many zombies on screen then all it does is confirm that this generation has opened up new possibilities for gameplay beyond graphics, something Nintendo fans feircely contest
I said I'd agree with you if everything else were to remain the same, and this is why I believe your analysis lacks depth. Do you complain about RE5 not having as many on-screen enemies as Dead Rising? I guess not, and neither do I, because it's a totally different game.
Gameplay is defined by balancing features, and every big change in features ultimately leads to big changes in gameplay because of designers having to find a new balance point.
Lastly, I think it's obvious the Wii can't put that many enemies on screen simultaneously, and it's even more obvious added horsepower opens new possibilities in game design, so what's the point of pointing it out? Baiting those blind fans into stupid system wars?

Jocchan said:
I said I'd agree with you if everything else were to remain the same, and this is why I believe your analysis lacks depth. Do you complain about RE5 not having as many on-screen enemies as Dead Rising? I guess not, and neither do I, because it's a totally different game.
Gameplay is defined by balancing features, and every big change in features ultimately leads to big changes in gameplay because of designers having to find a new balance point.
Lastly, I think it's obvious the Wii can't put that many enemies on screen simultaneously, and it's even more obvious added horsepower opens new possibilities in game design, so what's the point of pointing it out?

What are they going to do to offset the lack of enemies on screen? That was half the fun of the game. Theres nothing they can change to make up for that, and this isn't RE5, that has a completely different tone.

besada

Banned
Good for Wii owners. It's not going to be the same experience, but it's such a great game that I'm glad the Wii only guys are going to get to play it.

TheHeretic said:
What are they going to do to offset the lack of enemies on screen? That was half the fun of the game. Theres nothing they can change to make up for that, and this isn't RE5, that has a completely different tone.

I agree with this questioning simply because the shots show the same big open areas, but now with very few zombies in them. A Resident Evil 5 Wii port makes a lot of sense, as you say the limited number of enemies in the RE games works because it's a completely different kind of game.

I don't see how they can make up for this, but we will see whatever Capcom is intending to do soon enough.

botticus

I'm not going to bother judging until the game's out, but seriously, the success of a previous port means you're going to port another game? Brilliant!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TheHeretic said:
RE5 was an example, and I willingly chose a game we (probably) are both eagerly waiting for, to back up with evidence my claim that having less enemies doesn't necessarily equal to a worse experience when we're talking about games with different gameplay, IF the gameplay is different enough.
I'm neither celebrating this game nor bashing it, I'm just pointing out that gameplay is a chemistry you obtain by balancing everything carefully. That's it.

Jocchan said:
RE5 was an example, and I willingly chose a game we (probably) are both eagerly waiting for, to back up with evidence my claim that having less enemies doesn't necessarily equal to a worse experience when we're talking about games with different gameplay, IF the gameplay is different enough.
I'm neither celebrating this game nor bashing it, I'm just pointing out that gameplay is a chemistry you obtain by balancing everything carefully. That's it.

I agree, but the comparisons to the 360 version are inevitable. The game is still going to be a giant mall, if the population of zombies isn't there the areas are going to feel empty and lifeless.

RE5 would work much better as a port, hell, RE4 was great on the Wii. Dead Rising was the first game that made me say "thats something we couldn't have seen last generation", if they can't recapture that on the Wii they probably should have gone with a PS3 port instead.

zoukka

Woah DR is probably my main reason for wanting a 360 so this is good news I guess.

Then again it's going to be a different experience... no way they're going to achieve the same amount of zombies on screen with Wii :/

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TheHeretic said:
I agree, but the comparisons to the 360 version are inevitable. The game is still going to be a giant mall, if the population of zombies isn't there the areas are going to feel empty and lifeless.

RE5 would work much better as a port, hell, RE4 was great on the Wii. Dead Rising was the first game that made me say "thats something we couldn't have seen last generation", if they can't recapture that on the Wii they probably should have gone with a PS3 port instead.
I agree, and I agree mostly with the bolded part.

Pachael

Will they still have the silly save scheme? Anyway, more great 3rd party games for the Wii cannot be a bad thing - Lost Planet next!

Sadist

Resident Evil 5 Wii Edition June 2010 BELIEVE!

But seriously, if Capcom keeps 'em coming, I will have more Capcom games on my Wii then Nintendo games :lol

Mantorok

botticus said:
I'm not going to bother judging until the game's out, but seriously, the success of a previous port means you're going to port another game? Brilliant!

Well at least it's a port of a next-gen title as opposed to last-gen, and it's probably a game that most Wii owners haven't played.

It's better than sweet FA.

Hero

Wasn't there even a blip from Sven or some other Capcom USA rep last week that said no Dead Rising on Wii?

Goes to show how much Capcom Japan keeps Capcom USA informed.

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom