• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Wii official site opens

dark10x said:
Well, I tend to become positive when I have a positive experience with something. When I walk out of a movie that blew me away, for instance, I'm going to naturally become inerested in the director and other things surrounding the film. Same deal with a game. When a machine and its software delivers experiences that completely blow me away, I'm going to be very positive about the future.

The Wii really hasn't done anything for me. In the few cases where I DID really enjoy a game on the Wii, I couldn't shake the feeling that it would have been better in HD or something. :p That's pretty much it. If the Wii had left a positive impression on me, I wouldn't be so skeptical about it all the time. I don't hate it, but I don't really get it either.

Trauma Centre couldn't be done on current HD systems. LOSE!

Heh, I actually hate that game. I know it's totally over the top and fake, but I'm also a hypochondriac of sorts. I can't STAND the whole genre of "medical entertainment" (TV shows, games, etc) that has become popular lately for just that reason. I don't even want to think about it. :D

Oh for god's sake it's a goddamn puzzle/action game with a pseudo-medical backdrop. The gameplay (you know the important part) is stellar, completely new for consoles and completely addictive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ha ha, I'm not slamming Trauma Centre. It seems like a great game, but again, I hate medical games/shows/whatever.

Who cares anyways? There's games on the Wii you can't do on another platform and there are games on the other platforms you can't do on the Wii. The fact that both exist is a good thing then.

Of course, the PC can do ALL of that and more! :D

dark10x said:
Ha ha, I'm not slamming Trauma Centre. It seems like a great game, but again, I hate medical games/shows/whatever.

Who cares anyways? There's games on the Wii you can't do on another platform and there are games on the other platforms you can't do on the Wii. The fact that both exist is a good thing then.

Except for the fact you're always whinging about 'good' games going to Wii, when it could be "done better" on an HD system. :p

It just gets a wee bit tiring. :p

dark10x

Dragona Akehi said:
Except for the fact you're always whinging about 'good' games going to Wii, when it could be "done better" on an HD system. :p

It just gets a wee bit tiring. :p
Utter Nintendo dominance is getting tiresome as well, however. :)

I haven't really had any need to whine about good games going to the Wii, however, as I've been lucky thus far and most of the games being announced for Wii don't even appeal to me. The industry IS shifting towards Nintendo, yet somehow, the games I care about are still being made on the platforms I prefer.

I just like to argue about this kind of stuff, that's all. Don't take it personal.

Back to Dead Rising. At least DR Wii looks better than a generic, low budget PS2 game. :D

ss7.jpg

state-of-emergency-2-20050107102012.jpg

Shogmaster said:
No. IIRC there was a news item in late 2006 that said 1 million DR shipped in US. This has got to be sell through numbers.
sionyboy said:
I think these are from Capcom's end of year financial report, so I'm pretty sure they would be sold through.
Why would that necessarily be? For Capcom sold to retailers (shipped) is the interesting number.

Looking at that LP number it can't really be sold to customers, 90k should be a bit too much for that. Famitsu has it at 60k I think and since Capcom can't track retail sales to customers they will have to rely on services like Enterbrain offers.

kinggroin said:
As a straight port, it wouldn't be worth my time. However, the changes that seem to be made to the system ALSO, don't make it worth my time.

I'd have double dipped had this simply included new missions, weapons and locales. Really.
If it included new missions, weapons and locales, it wouldn't really be a port anymore.

Anyways I think you know where I was aiming at with my question.

dark10x said:
It might rule. I'm still not convinced that swinging your arms around at stuff is all that fun. It's actually similar to moving an analog stick around to attack stuff, really (though certainly better than that). Without any feedback, it really doesn't work.
Godfather's combat was simply awesome. It made me play through the otherwise rather boring game.

i know you're joking Dark, but it DOES look better than State of Emergency. enemies about equal, but the Dead Rising environment looks much better.

and you can bet your ass that the port is being done for a lot less money by a much smaller team than Rockstar had on State.

agrajag

Banned
dark10x said:
I actually think 1:1 beam saber combat would have resulted in an inferior game.

WHAT? You basically just said "I don't like fun. Please give me games which offer as little fun as possible, because fun is overrated."

nightside

jrricky said:
Thats the thing ive been wondering. Nintendo has announced the release date of motionplus for the US but what about Japan and Europe. I expect japan to get it first so japanese developers should probably have it already...

exactly...we can assume that japan will see motion+ first...so...

laserbeam

Banned
Game looks promising enough for the Wii.

To All the hwiners I have something very simple to say.

Shut up and ignore it if you wont play it but be glad its coming. This Wii version very well could help ensure a Dead Rising 2. Obviously Capcom is wanting to see if a larger fanbase can possibly exist. Wii version success could potentially help a Dead Rising 2.

For all the rumors of Western developer gonna work on a Second one the official line is Dead Rising 2 does not exist and we dont plan to make it exist.

dark10x

Wii version success could potentially help a Dead Rising 2.
...but if it end up on Wii it will be for naught! :D

I know, I know. You're right, though, it may indeed allow a sequel to come about and that would be a good thing.

laserbeam

Banned
nightside said:
exactly...we can assume that japan will see motion+ first...so...

There was an anouncement yesterday from the Company that collaborated on the Wii Motion+ with Nintendo . They announced the new software to work with Motion+ was available to developers. So they can start working with it right away and even games in mid development could be tweaked to work with it even if they are out before the release.

Simply have a detector that when Motion+ is plugged in those features are activated

laserbeam

Banned
dark10x said:
...but if it end up on Wii it will be for naught! :D

I know, I know. You're right, though, it may indeed allow a sequel to come about and that would be a good thing.

If it does Spur a Sequel it would Probably be a 360 and Wii versions. I could see the PS3 being left out all over again as it would get its sales as desired if the wii does well well enough.

Japans failure sales wise and the Wii showing it has a fanbase for these types of games Spurred the game more then anything. If Re4 had bombed it would have never happened but it showed them that indeed a hardcore gamer base does exist.

To an extent I think the casualizing of the game is more of a slap at the Gamers then trying to appeal to the New Gen people. Alot of people bitched and moaned about Dead Rising and some of its systems. They should have simply said they were addressing bitching and moaning then making the game more casual.

Arde5643 said:
What the whole porting Dead Rising to Wii means is that porting Dead Rising to PS3 is not as easy and profitable enough for them to consider.

Oh for sure. In japan Dead Rising sold 80,000 Copies. The PS3 installbase isnt worth much to Capcom in japan but the Wii userbase is huge and they have shown they like their Zombie killers.

In the US DR sold well on the 360 but its been out 2 years so the PS3 chance at selling well is gretly diminished but the Wii market showed they like Zombie Killers as well and they have a huge userbase

Arde5643

laserbeam said:
If it does Spur a Sequel it would Probably be a 360 and Wii versions. I could see the PS3 being left out all over again as it would get its sales as desired if the wii does well well enough
Nah - if they do make the next sequel, I think they'll make sure it's portable from the start to all 3 systems.

You're talking about Cap-port - if they can make something portable from the start to as many different systems as possible, they'll do so, especially with how this gen has gone so far.

What the whole porting Dead Rising to Wii means is that porting Dead Rising to PS3 is not as easy and profitable enough for them to consider.

Scrubking

laserbeam said:
There was an anouncement yesterday from the Company that collaborated on the Wii Motion+ with Nintendo . They announced the new software to work with Motion+ was available to developers. So they can start working with it right away and even games in mid development could be tweaked to work with it even if they are out before the release.

Simply have a detector that when Motion+ is plugged in those features are activated

Did they say if games that use M+ can only use M+, or can a game be made where I just unhook the M+ and continue playing or even go to an option screen to turn it off and keep playing?

laserbeam

Banned
Scrubking said:
Did they say if games that use M+ can only use M+, or can a game be made where I just unhook the M+ and continue playing or even go to an option screen to turn it off and keep playing?

Nothing said on that but heres the imporitant stuff in the press release

The LiveMove 2 Motion Control AI Software delivers superior motion recognition performance for Wii MotionPlus data. LiveMove 2 provides continuous motion control by integrating motion recognition with several major new capabilities including: more advanced motion tracking, coordinated two-handed moves, and snap-to-fit technology for personalized in-game animations. This revolutionary new functionality makes LiveMove 2 even easier to use and prototype with than its predecessor, LiveMove Pro.

LiveMove 2 recognizes the full 3D position and orientation of the Wii MotionPlus accessory to give an unparalleled experience of natural immersion in the game world. From realistic sword fighting to accurate golf swings, LiveMove 2 seamlessly maps a player’s motion to in-game animations.

Xisiqomelir

So people, tell me the preferred course of action for someone who has no 360 but still has mild interest (say 5.5/10) for the title. Buy the Wii port, or wait for a PS3 port?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I think Capcom have done a good job of capturing the look of the 360 version. It's disappointing there is no photo mode but they might make up for that in other ways.

laserbeam

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
So people, tell me the preferred course of action for someone who has no 360 but still has mild interest (say 5.5/10) for the title. Buy the Wii port, or wait for a PS3 port?

There wont be a PS3 port. Its not profitable enough. PS3 is worthless in japan userbase wise and the US Markets had the game for multiple years now on 360. Wii is the only market that is untapped

markatisu

Linkzg said:
This port is quite ugly. I am still considering picking it up, but yeah, quite ugly looking game.

I will reserve judgement till we get a closer to final build and we see it in motion, I have learned to never judge a Wii game based on screenshots

Tron 2.0

Can we really consider it a port? It seems to defy the technical definition.

The environments, from what we've seen, don't look all that interesting, but I am definitely looking forward to hearing more about this game.

Loved the 360 version and I'm more than willing to double dip. Seems like a whole new experience from the 360 version. Different camera, different combat, etc.

Formless

dark10x said:

Flawed logic. Try it, damn it.

markatisu said:
I will reserve judgement till we get a closer to final build and we see it in motion, I have learned to never judge a Wii game based on screenshots

eh, I don't know. Motion won't help it much. I mean, in the rare change that it has the awesome blurring effects that DR had on the 360, maybe then it would make me think it looks slightly better graphically. Right now all I am thinking is "I can just hope it is so ugly so the frame rate won't be horrible".

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tron 2.0 said:
Can we really consider it a port? It seems to defy the technical definition.

The environments, from what we've seen, don't look all that interesting, but I am definitely looking forward to hearing more about this game.

Loved the 360 version and I'm more than willing to double dip. Seems like a whole new experience from the 360 version. Different camera, different combat, etc.

Yeah. It kind of doesn't seem to fit any exact term. It's not an original game, and not really a spin off, but I don't think "port" does the changes justice.

markatisu

Linkzg said:
eh, I don't know. Motion won't help it much. I mean, in the rare change that it has the awesome blurring effects that DR had on the 360, maybe then it would make me think it looks slightly better graphically. Right now all I am thinking is "I can just hope it is so ugly so the frame rate won't be horrible".

at the same time if those were final screenshots and indicative of the game as a whole it would be shipping shortly and the best indication from the recent news is Winter 2008 (so November/December), I would think that porting down from the 360 would produce some pretty decent graphics if polished. Much better than porting up from the PS2 or PSP I hope

I mean yes it could still be ugly as sin and a pale shell of the 360 version but I cannot imagine Capcom can make something horrible.

I also want to see it in motion to see how the lowered number of zombies works, with the smaller camera view due to the change in controls I would hope the zombies have at least some AI and are not just retarded creatures like the enemies in EA's MOHH2

Could be wrong and it could be dogshit, but I would give it the benefit of the doubt over some screens that appeared only a few days ago

bryehn

At least the warehouse looks like its populated well...

But I'm really gonna miss PP points and the running zombie count.

It looks better than I expected it to, I'll give it that.

It's going to take some pretty major changes to get me to buy it again though.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

Dark, I understand it's your opinion and, in your defense, you've been pretty damn consistent with it so far, but why is it that every time I stumble upon a post of yours in any Wii related thread, 99% of the time I can guess what the theme of your message is even before reading the first line? We get it, brother, every Wii game you're even remotely interested in can be done better on the HD systems....all right.

PS: This isn't an attack, just an observation.

big_z

it's not bad other than smaller zombie size and dull colors. they should us some LOD for the zombies so that past the main crowd their polys drop to 1/3, then triple thier numbers.

Tron 2.0

agrajag said:
So much for "if you port DOWN from 360 to Wii the ports won't look like PS2 games"
They're not porting down.

It's basically rebuilding the game from scratch, seemingly using the RE4 engine.

I... don't really know what we would call it. A "reimagining" of the game for the Wii? I don't know. But it's not a port.

Vinci

Danish
Tron 2.0 said:
They're not porting down.

It's basically rebuilding the game from scratch, seemingly using the RE4 engine.

I... don't really know what we would call it. A "reimagining" of the game for the Wii? I don't know. But it's not a port.

Call it a 'Wiimake.' It'll make me smile.

agrajag

Banned
Well then, change my post to:

so much for "if you build Wii games from ground up it won't look like PS2 game!"

This looks significantly worse than RE 4.

All these people saying it looks shitty. Please, this game isn't even out yet and has was to go. i'm sure Capcom will make it look the best it can on the Wii.

No6

slasher_thrasher21 said:
All these people saying it looks shitty. Please, this game isn't even out yet and has was to go. i'm sure Capcom will make it look the best it can on the Wii.
If it's coming out before xmas then it has less than 5 months to completion, including bug testing, etc.
Well then, change my post to:

so much for "if you build Wii games from ground up it won't look like PS2 game!"

This looks significantly worse than RE 4.
RE4 was a multi-million dollar game developed over years by some of the industry's best talent. Why would you expect the same from the RE4Wii port team? Although I could see expecting a sub-$50 price tag.

tenchir

I couldn't get into the xbox version because of the save system and time event, looks like this version is perfect for me. I just don't like to be rushed to do some things.

Mar

supercake said:
I'm not one of those gamers who couldn't beat the game BTW. I didn't do everything, but I got the Genocide achievement. :)

Well, you could actually finish the game by just standing in the starting room for the entire time then walk out to the helicopter. Like the back of the box of the game says, you could play it any way you like, even just hide in a closet. It's one of the charms of the game and I fear that has been taken away in the Wii version. Sounds like you now go through a linear set of missions.

Zoramon089 said:
If these changes were announced for DR2 for the 360 no one would be complaining

Uh. If these changes were announced for DR 2 360, there'd be meltdowns on an atomic level. I'm still interested in picking up the Wii version, but if they took out photo mode in DR 2 I'd be absolutely furious.

Top Bottom