• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Wii official site opens

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Shaheed79 said:
It's a PR shot and it's photoshopped. I played the game almost every day and Frank does not "shine" like that. For someone who claims to be such an expert in spotting graphical details you sure do miss out on the obvious sometimes.

It takes a lot of light and the right camera angle, but his jacket most certainly DOES look like that at times. (just double-checked this)
An easily reproducible example: Near the beginning of the game, go in Jill's Sandwiches. (near the door that takes you from Paradise Plaza to Leisure Park) Stand on the table of the window seats closest to the door with Frank facing the windows. Turn the camera behind Frank. Shine galore, and if your TV isn't a complete POS, lots of shader detail.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
To everyone saying it looks ugly: you do realize it is being done on the Wii, right?

For a Wii game, I think it looks pretty damn impressive. Of course it looks like crap when compared to the Xbox 360 version, but I am personally surprised they got the game looking as good as it does. The inevitable lack of motion blur is going to hurt, though...

Oh well, I am still looking forward to the game. I love me some Dead Rising and a new control scheme will be pretty refreshing.

Zefah said:
To everyone saying it looks ugly: you do realize it is being done on the Wii, right?

For a Wii game, I think it looks pretty damn impressive. Of course it looks like crap when compared to the Xbox 360 version, but I am personally surprised they got the game looking as good as it does. The inevitable lack of motion blur is going to hurt, though...

Oh well, I am still looking forward to the game. I love me some Dead Rising and a new control scheme will be pretty refreshing.

It looks ugly for a Wii game. I mean, Wii isn't a graphical beast, but it still can't make great looking games. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, even this Conduit game all look great. Dead Rising on the Wii looks ugly even for Wii standards.

agrajag

Banned
Stitch said:
like i already said, they really need to add lightning. right now it reminds me off RE4 on PS2

Yeah, hopefully these shots are from the alpha stage of the game, and they'll add effects sequentially like High Voltage has been doing with The Conduit builds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
So because a game is on wii people can't say it looks ugly?

No go for it. I just have a feeling that most of the people are simply calling it ugly because it looks bad in comparison to the 360 version. Other than the lack of lighting, I think the game looks pretty nice for a Wii game.

lordmrw

All they have to do is add the lighting and it'll look so much better. And do something about the texture on frank's jacket. For some reason the look of it right now bothers the shit out of me.

lordmrw said:
All they have to do is add the lighting and it'll look so much better. And do something about the texture on frank's jacket. For some reason the look of it right now bothers the shit out of me.
It's the texture on Leon's leather jacket in RE4.

basik said:
Dead Rising: Superior Controls Edition

day 1. now give us RE5.

Not really. Did you ever play Dead Rising? Guns were rarely used and unless you consider waving your arm...I'm not going to even try ot make some kind of stupid argument here. There is nothing Superior controls about it. It actually takes away from the controls since they are giving it tank controls because of the new camera system. It takes away the free controls it had in the 360 game.

Diablos

VistraNorrez said:
If the changes to the Wii version happen to be in future installments on the 360, I doubt it will be a result of the Wii version. It seems more like that's a direction Capcom wants to move the series and the Wii version is a result of that. The Wii version seems like a test in that regard.
It's a platinum hits game. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Linkzg said:
Not really. Did you ever play Dead Rising? Guns were rarely used and unless you consider waving your arm...I'm not going to even try ot make some kind of stupid argument here. There is nothing Superior controls about it. It actually takes away from the controls since they are giving it tank controls because of the new camera system. It takes away the free controls it had in the 360 game.
Exactly.

But hey, 1:1 waggle!

-_-

Tron 2.0

Linkzg said:
I don't see how the Wii version will have tank controls. It plays like RE4, not RE1.

I'm not huge on waggle = combat. Didn't work for me in Twilight Princess either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Diablos said:
It's a platinum hits game. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've made this point before, but you have to look at the Japanese sales first and foremost, which were disappointing. That's why a sequel hasn't been made and that's why they're trying this on the Wii.

Tron 2.0 said:
I don't see how the Wii version will have tank controls. It plays like RE4, not RE1.

I'm not huge on waggle = combat. Didn't work for me in Twilight Princess either.
RE4 uses classic tank controls like RE1. The difference is the fixed camera behind Leon. It's amazing that a change in camera perspective changes so much about the controls. :D

EDIT: Just saw your other post. By tank controls, I mean pressing up to go forward, down to go back, and left and right to turn.

Mr_Moogle

I wish the "28 Days/Weeks Later" franchise was given to a good developer and made into a game. Zombies that run are so much more scary.

What I liked about those movies is that they werent actually zombies but 'infected'. It was a nice take on an old idea.

Tron 2.0

sonicspear64 said:
RE4 uses classic tank controls like RE1. The difference is the fixed camera behind Leon. It's amazing that a change in camera perspective changes so much about the controls. :D

EDIT: Just saw your other post. By tank controls, I mean pressing up to go forward, down to go back, and left and right to turn.
Well fuck me.

Apologies to Linkzg.

Diablos

schuelma said:
I've made this point before, but you have to look at the Japanese sales first and foremost, which were disappointing. That's why a sequel hasn't been made and that's why they're trying this on the Wii.
That's dumb. It was a success even without Japan. Capcom should be giving themselves a pat on the back, being able to make a game that was a hit with the west, selling a lot of copies, without having to do much of anything in Japan.

I think they would have done this regardless, either for money or that and the fact that they do not like the way the 360 game plays for some reason, even though it has sold over a million copies and was the fastest selling 360 game when it came out.

schuelma

Diablos said:
That's dumb. It was a success even without Japan. Capcom should be giving themselves a pat on the back, being able to make a game that was a hit with the west, selling a lot of copies, without having to do much of anything in Japan.

Well, yes, but its still a Japanese company and they will still always look at the Japanese market first, ya know?

Diablos

When it comes to console games, unless it is Wii, they should be relying just as much if not more on the west. PS3 sales are pretty bad and 360 sales are absolutely dismal.

Dead Rising confirms that a Japanese developer can still make a game matter without Japan.

schuelma

Himuro said:
The game was targeted at western audiences. Not the japanese.

I'm sure it was, but I'm pretty sure they would have liked to see it succeed in Japan as well. Reading the 1up translation, it seems to be that reading between the lines you can see they want it to reach a larger Japanese audience.

schuelma

Himuro said:
No. They don't.

The game was targeted at western audiences, as said before. Not the Japanese.

Ashcraft: So Dead Rising 2 won't be announced next year?
Inafune: Yeah. The original team has been split up and is working on different projects.
Ashcraft: And you are probably busy with your executive role at Capcom?
Inafune: I do really want to do Dead Rising 2. It's just still hard to get games for the Western market approved.
Ashcraft: But Dead Rising was a big hit abroad.
Inafune: It wasn't a big hit here in Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192680&highlight=dead+rising+inafune

Read between the lines..

Diablos

Terrible business decision if they simply aren't giving DR2 the green light just because it won't sell at home. You still made a buttload of money thanks to us westerners, Capcom. Thanks for showing us how much you care with a watered down wagglefest just so you can appease Japan. I'd understand if the game didn't sell that well and they saw potential for a Wii release in Japan, but it DID sell well -- and again, it was the fastest-selling 360 game at the time that it came out. That's quite an accomplishment on a western console with a lot of western games.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but whatever happened to Dead Island?

1352_0004.jpg

I haven't heard from this game in a while and E3 didn't seem to bring any news about it?

Is it still in production? Anybody know?

edit:
theviolenthero said:
The ONLY thing that matters is the price.

If it's over $30 then i won't even consider it at all!!

I'm sure with the great price they gave RE4Wii they'll treat DR Wii the same way... hopefully...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Too many people are butt hurt over this project even when it's an entirely different team. Most of the cast are Wii trolls anyway so it's not surprising.

II VerTigo II said:
It looks nice, and by the amount of zombies on screen i'm guessing beginning of the game....
I don't think you'll see more than 30~ish zombies at a time, accounting for the hardware. Still, pretty impressive how intact it is.

yurinka

laserbeam said:
There wont be a PS3 port. Its not profitable enough. PS3 is worthless in japan userbase wise and the US Markets had the game for multiple years now on 360. Wii is the only market that is untapped
This game is not Japan focused, it's focused to western markets. It sold 80K in Japan and 1,4 million worldwide. PS3 is worthless in Japan userbase? So what happens with 360 there?

BTW YTD PS3 is outselling 360 both in USA and Euro. In the case of Euro, also LTD. And obviously also in Japan. So it would be logic to port it to PS3 since it has the same user target than the 360, unlike the Wii. But the Wii user base is higher in the western markets, and as I said this is where they are aiming.

They aready have 2 games using Framework Engine (DMC4 and LP) running in PS3, and RE5 in the works. It will be their first Wii game using the Framework Engine, so they are going to spend some bucks cropping the game and the engine to fit the Wii specs. It would be easier and cheaper to port it to PS3.

The only reason of why to port the game to Wii instead of to PS3 is because Wii hardcore users buy old ports (RE4 or other PS2/GC rehashed good game ports) because they don't have better games of this genre for their console. In the case of PS3 or 360, a 2+ years old game looks bad compared to the other current games of the genre in their console, and they don't like this so they wouldn't buy it.

That's why DMC4 in PS3 sold a lot more than the Lost Planet PS3 port, and why Resident Evil 4 sold a lot more than Zak and Wiki. It's not a problem of sales, remember DMC4 sales in PS3 vs 360 versions worldwide.

koam

This is the PS2 port of RE4 all over again.

Trolls then:
MORE LIKE RESIDENT EVIL: 4 ZOMBIES!!!! LOLOLLOL

Trolls now:
MORE LIKE DEAD RISING: ZOMBIE COUNT SACRIFICE LOLOLOL

yurinka said:
why Resident Evil 4 port sold a lot more than Zak and Wiki.

I fixed this.

It still makes me sad. What's wrong with gamers today? RE4 was awesome (and made even more awesome with wii controls) but Zack and Wiki deserved so much more than it got. A great new IP that everyone ignored.

This is why everything has a 4 or a 5 after it this gen >: [

TunaLover

Maybe Capcom is building a DR fanbase for DR2 Wii, zombies are quite popular in the Nintendo console =D, considering too it would be more profitable in Wii, production cost wise.

Threi said:
actually hollywood isnt that powerful...:/
It's powerful enough to support shaders...anyway, seeing as how they don't even have a release date for this it's probably still a long ways off and these are early screens

Threi said:
actually hollywood isnt that powerful...:/

It's definitely capable of shader support though, just not through the conventional means that developers found on something like the Xbox, which had similar power (but significantly different architecture). Some Gamecube games had shaders, let alone Wii games.

rakka

_Alkaline_ said:
It's definitely capable of shader support though, just not through the conventional means that developers found on something like the Xbox, which had similar power (but significantly different architecture).
perhaps, but how can you blame them here, with a game thats built on there being huge numbers of enemies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
yurinka said:
They aready have 2 games using Framework Engine (DMC4 and LP) running in PS3, and RE5 in the works. It will be their first Wii game using the Framework Engine, so they are going to spend some bucks cropping the game and the engine to fit the Wii specs. It would be easier and cheaper to port it to PS3.

you are aware that by this same logic the ps3 would never have got mt framework ports to begin with, right?

koam said:
This is the PS2 port of RE4 all over again.

Trolls then:
MORE LIKE RESIDENT EVIL: 4 ZOMBIES!!!! LOLOLLOL

Trolls now:
MORE LIKE DEAD RISING: ZOMBIE COUNT SACRIFICE LOLOLOL

It's not, but it's fine if you want to dumb it down like that.

rakka said:
perhaps, but how can you blame them here, with a game thats built on there being huge numbers of enemies.

Because it's possible and Capcom is a competent dev that should be able to do it

rakka said:
This is Dead Rising in name only. The design of the game itself seems to be vastly different.

All this bitching for a game that doesn't even exist. It's not Dead Rising, it'd be impossible for the Wii to replicate Dead Rising as is.

The game is being given an entirely different focus. Different controls, different HUD, different save system. So get off of it. This isn't Dead Rising 2, it's Dead Rising Wii.

If you didn't expect a metric fuckton of changes with it being brought to the Wii, then you're an idiot. Simple.

Bitch if Dead Rising 2 comes to the Wii exclusively, or if the Dead Rising 2 for the 360 takes cues from Dead Rising Wii, and leaves all of your favorite features in DR1.

As of right now it's bitching about a game coming to a platform that could never replicate the same experience. So they've changed said experience.

For the most part just stop bitching.

jay

Thunder Monkey said:
This is Dead Rising in name only. The design of the game itself seems to be vastly different.

All this bitching for a game that doesn't even exist. It's not Dead Rising, it'd be impossible for the Wii to replicate Dead Rising as is.

The game is being given an entirely different focus. Different controls, different HUD, different save system. So get off of it. This isn't Dead Rising 2, it's Dead Rising Wii.

If you didn't expect a metric fuckton of changes with it being brought to the Wii, then you're an idiot. Simple.

Bitch if Dead Rising 2 comes to the Wii exclusively, or if the Dead Rising 2 for the 360 takes cues from Dead Rising Wii, and leaves all of your favorite features in DR1.

As of right now it's bitching about a game coming to a platform that could never replicate the same experience. So they've changed said experience.

For the most part just stop bitching.

But there are fewer zombies.

Top Bottom