• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm actually playing through the first game now (played a bunch this weekend) and am really digging it a lot. Can't wait for the sequel.

NZNova

Surprised it's Isaac again but - fuck yes! Sign me up for this, absolutely loved the first game. Will shove people out of the way to buy it on launch day.

KingJ2002

Nice... I'm expecting nothing less than greatness. I only rented the first game because i didnt play it again after the first play through but if there's promised elements to make the game worth keeping like a multiplayer option or episodic content... i'm all in.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Sort out the PC control issues from the first one, that's my only wish. I disabled V Sync or something that pretty much fixed it for me but i couldn't get a setting i really liked as it'd always be really bloody slow when you zoomed it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
6nv42e.jpg

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Whoot! So glad that "Dead Space" survived to make it to Game 2.

I liked Issac, but I'm a little wary of the concept of re-using him for a 2nd game. DS Extraction reiterated the fact that the DS universe is a large one, with many individuals that it would be fun to play as. While I don't want DS2 to go the multi-character route as DSE did, it would have been fun to play as someone else in that universe. A crewman in an infected ship, a marine, even a Unification Church member.

Since they're reusing Issac, I wonder if they're still going to keep him a silent protagonist. While his silence in the first game was plausible in most aspects (since nearly everyone else was dead), I'm not sure continuing to keep him a mute character is going to work for the sequel. He's going to have to interact with other people if he wants to contain the Necromorphs.

Also, EA/Visceral - please make the CE affordable! I will buy it if you sell more than 1000 copies!

stupei said:
Also pretty funny to compare and contrast GAF's reactions to Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2.
I view Dead Space as standalone, but it did blatantly set-up a sequel. There is some serious unfinished business
like that evil corporation has the real Marker, for example
. Bioshock wrapped everything up, though.

Dascu

Neuromancer said:
Suit looks a little different this time around, neat. Kind of more badass somehow.
Not sure if Isaac being more "badass" is a good thing.

Unless the big plot twist turns out to be that Isaac's actually in a mental hospital back on earth, and he's just imagining being a hero taking out necromorphs.

a Master Ninja said:
I view Dead Space as standalone, but it did blatantly set-up a sequel. There is some serious unfinished business
like that evil corporation has the real Marker, for example
. Bioshock wrapped everything up, though.

Pretty much this. I'm hoping that Bioshock 2 will be good but I can't forsee a reason for the game to exist at all. :(

And this is coming from a huge fan of the original.

Red

Dascu said:
Not sure if Isaac being more "badass" is a good thing.

Unless the big plot twist turns out to be that Isaac's actually in a mental hospital back on earth, and he's just imagining being a hero taking out necromorphs.
I'm seeing DS2 like the second half of the movie The Descent. Main character goes through so much shit, she hasn't suddenly become badass but she's gotten so desperate she's practically insane.

Calling it now, the mining mega corp back on earth recovers issac and decides to take him along as an adviser to another site they lost, ala Ripley in Aliens.

Either that or somehow Issac ends up on one of those Unitologist Tomb Ships containing millions of corpses of their followers as mentioned in the unitology reports you find near the end of the first game.

wayward archer said:
Calling it now, the mining mega corp back on earth recovers issac and decides to take him along as an adviser to another site they lost, ala Ripley in Aliens.

Either that or somehow Issac ends up on one of those Unitologist Tomb Ships containing millions of corpses of their followers as mentioned in the unitology reports you find near the end of the first game.

Im going to go for you being sent to an outpost world were they have found another artifact.

Dascu

Or,

The Unitologist movement has taken over. Isaac has gathered a band of rogues (maybe even some Extraction folks?) to fight against Unitologists and the Necromorphs.

Wrath2X said:
I really have to beat the first one now.

Fuck that asteroid mini-game, FUCK.IT.UP.THE.ASS!!!!!

Aww jeez why did you have to bring up the ADS cannon bits? (NIGHTMARES TONIGHT COS OF YOU!)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kyo_daikun said:
Female lead character confirmed? That is definetly not Isaac and im pretty sure the chest is jutting out a bit, also the legs look feminine.
I'm almost 100% positive that's Isaac in a new suit of armor.

Really do think its a woman, the acrobatic leap, the armor looks thinner and smaller and I swear the boots look like they have heels on the a bit.

wayward archer said:

Yes

Tomb ship! Tomb ship!

kyo_daikun said:
Female lead character confirmed? That is definetly not Isaac and im pretty sure the chest is jutting out a bit, also the legs look feminine.
Yeah I don't know... I think maybe you're projecting your Isaac man-crush onto this image. :lol

kyo_daikun said:
Really do think its a woman, the acrobatic leap, the armor looks thinner and smaller and I swear the boots look like they have heels on the a bit.

Only in video games
and Michael Bay movies
do female characters who need to be mobile and wear functional clothing also wear high-heels.

todahawk

I'm hoping DS2 is comparable to the jump from Alien to Aliens (as in the movies).

edit: I consider Alien > Aliens but I'd love to see that kind of evolution in the DS series.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Doubting Renegade Team? Didn't we go through this whole song and dance with Dead Space 1 already?

RETROEX

Nirolak said:
I'm almost 100% positive that's Isaac in a new suit of armor.

Looks like a Mech armor... also his leg looks like a propulsion turbine or something....or maybe is just tearing apart

Pctx

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Wanted it or not, I'm almost 100% sure it will have coop. a) In Episode 2 of the EA Podcast, Glen Schofield said that earlier in development, Coop was one of the major elements in the game. Of course it was scratched off later. What this means is that VG already have an idea of how to pull off coop in it. b) EA are looking for a Senior Online Level Designer for the Dead Space Franchise. So yeah. c) RE5 sold like crazy. It would make sense for them to try to put Coop just like RE5.

RE5 selling because of Co-op inclusion sounds like an afterthought given the fact that the series of RE has always sold because its.... Resident Evil.

I don't doubt that Visceral would want something included that was half-assed though of which is what happened with the first DS with it getting scratched off the list.

Anyways---
In a world driven by co-op, online, DLC and everything else... the core of what made Dead Space a quality game was three things:

1) Design
2) Story
3) Sound

If they try and do too much with this next installment and get away from those core values, then I have my doubts of it being as successful in the sequel.

Story wise... I'm guessing that they will develop the artifact side of it with multiple markers being found and in the vein of "doing a better job with them this time around..." they'll put them together and the nightmare will get even worse.... (meaning the baddies get even more ugly and puke more crap on our poor hero.)

Doing co-op right would make the experience terrifying but again it would have to be done right.

For example. The game requires you to wear your headset. Say towards the begining the online computer tells the main host a life sign/person has been discovered in the ship and that the ship is going to patch you into their headset. You then have to them to talk to and rely on them for certain moments. During key moments the players team up and help each other out.

What if a scenario happened where the host was behind a glass wall with computer controls and the guest was stuck behind a glass containement door. You would relay to them that the door is locked and you can hack the system to unclock it... when suddenly a necro scream comes and down the long hallway behind the guest player, you see a onslaught of necros, increasing in numbers as they blast them away and the host fratically has to solve a puzzle to get the door open as fast as possible. Adding a additional communication aspect, perhaps the computer your at has a movement tracking system and the host can tell the player what hole or hallways the necros will come from next. So that there is constant team work going on while the player solving the puzzle and keeping them updated with where the next wave is coming from. Meanwhile the guest has to run, shoot, and perhaps use environmental options to keep the necros at bay before the doors open. And of course have all this to a insane intense soundtrack like from the first.

cbox

Man I REALLY need to replay the original with a 5.1 setup. I originally played using my lcd speakers, and they're pretty good but fuck... the sound in DS was the best i've heard from any game.. ever.

^ slasher, that would be AWESOME.

DigiMish

Pctx said:
RE5 selling because of Co-op inclusion sounds like an afterthought given the fact that the series of RE has always sold because its.... Resident Evil.

I don't doubt that Visceral would want something included that was half-assed though of which is what happened with the first DS with it getting scratched off the list.

Anyways---
In a world driven by co-op, online, DLC and everything else... the core of what made Dead Space a quality game was three things:

1) Design
2) Story
3) Sound

If they try and do too much with this next installment and get away from those core values, then I have my doubts of it being as successful in the sequel.

Story wise... I'm guessing that they will develop the artifact side of it with multiple markers being found and in the vein of "doing a better job with them this time around..." they'll put them together and the nightmare will get even worse.... (meaning the baddies get even more ugly and puke more crap on our poor hero.)

Doing more and trying new things does not mean that the 3 things you listed will suffer. In fact, the game will suffer if they DON'T try to do something new... that's how game development works in a market full of sequels.

eternal prize said:
Man I REALLY need to replay the original with a 5.1 setup. I originally played using my lcd speakers, and they're pretty good but fuck... the sound in DS was the best i've heard from any game.. ever.

I've got one word (maybe two) for you: headphones. The only way to play this game, I'd take good headphones over surround sound any day on a game like this.

eternal prize said:

^ slasher, that would be AWESOME.
The sound of the work bench was always painfully awful to hear, other than that everything was fine.

New suit looks badass.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I don't know... I think maybe you're projecting your Isaac man-crush onto this image. :lol

Haha, yeah gotta admit his groan as he stamps on necromorphs always did something for me :lol

Prezhulio

yay.

of course there is room for improvement from the first, but i don't want coop as other people reiterated earlier.

it would take away the sense of isolation & fear for me, and that's not what i want from my dead space sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom