• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 cost $60 million to make, sold 4 million copies, underperformed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So as part of Visceral's closure, one of Visceral's ex-staff members revealed some interesting facts about Dead Space 2.

This was back in 2011, so you can imagine how harsh and expensive the market is now.

Keep in mind that it probably didn't sell all 4 million copies at full price.

Make sure to read the second, smaller tweet too. He talks about how this wasn't the marketing budget and how retailer and console licensing fees eat into profits a lot.

Edit:

He has since clarified it was an underperformance.

I don't know if it turned a profit. But it underperformed, and meeting expectations are as important

Original:

deadspace224msxj.png

deadspace263os9.png
Source: https://twitter.com/covernode

black070

Dead Space 2 is honestly up there with Resident Evil 4 as two of the greatest survival horror games - a real shame it wasn't a bigger success.

And this is why we see like a fraction of the AAA games that we used to see released.

The market's refusal to go above the $60 price tag killed games like this.

Well that sucks and also explains why EA tried shoehorning their shit into the third one, them trying to get every possible penny available.

nynt9

That budget isn’t actually too high. Shame that they couldn’t make money from it. Making a comparable game today would probably cost at least 100.

Are we sure "wasn't enough" means not profitable? Maybe they felt it wasn't worth the return on investment? And this is why I'm not against cosmetic loot boxes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How in the fuck did it cost that much to make?

Two years of hundreds of people at San Francisco Bay Area salaries and benefits plus all the outsourcing needed to support it.

Not many AAA studios left in the Bay Area these days you'll notice. Crystal Dynamics outsources half their game development to Montreal as one of the few remaining ones.

Akronis

Dead Space 2 is honestly up there with Resident Evil 4 as two of the greatest survival horror games - a real shame it wasn't a bigger success.

For real. What was the budget for RE4 actually? 60 million seems astronomically high for this kind of game.

Two years of hundreds of people at San Francisco Bay Area salaries plus all the outsourcing needed to support it.

That'll do it.

Sami+

I would pay more for games that are worth it. Heck I already do with collector's editions sometimes. I really hope by the next generation publishers learn to cool it but probably not. 🙁

pr0cs

Cannot Qft enough.
Replayed it on pc recently with everything maxxed out and that game holds up to a lot of current gen games in graphics, style and gameplay

This pains me to find out they still didn't make enough money on the title.

Hurts even more when I know story driven games are going the way of the dodo

It's definitely up there. So damn polished and well-paced. Not quite RE4 level for me (RE4 is my GOAT), but it's probably the closest anyone has come to matching it.

gogosox82

$60 million. I'm guessing a large portion of that was on marketing? I wonder if there will ever be a way to see a breakdown of costs.

Edit: Come to think of it, doesn't $60 million sound like a lot for a survival horror game?

Nyoro SF

Looks like it's not just making the game that's causing the issues. It's marketing it.

It's like some sort of weird closed data curve. "We need to market it to sell more. But we need it to sell more to make up for the marketing. So we need to market it to sell more."

Rough estimate but...

4 years x 150k/year expenses per person x 100 people = $60M

EDIT: Just saw that it was 2.5 years of development, so maybe something more like...

2.5 years x 150k/year expenses per person x 160 people = $60M

...or maybe $150k/year expenses are me being conservative on dev costs. California real estate is expensive and artists/programmers have a lot of options there, so maybe salaries and overhead are more competitive and push it closer to $200k/year per person average costs.

The short answer is, $60M doesn't go very far when you're running a large operation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we sure "wasn't enough" means not profitable? Maybe they felt it wasn't worth the return on investment? And this is why I'm not against cosmetic loot boxes.

I feel the second tweet about the marketing budget and retailer/console vendor margins implies that very heavily.

It's crazy that such a basic game cost $60 million to make. Strikes me as something that would cost half that. It wasn't a very ambitious game in any aspect and the graphics weren't cutting edge for the time either.

Some Nobody

$60m to make, another $60m to market? You get...what, $45 from each copy sold? 4m copies sold...$180m? And that's pushing what they might've gotten from each copy. If they got say, $30m, well. They broke even, which means that game wasn't worth making in EA's eyes.

Yikes. Jason's right.

Two years of hundreds of people at San Francisco Bay Area salaries and benefits plus all the outsourcing needed to support it.

Not many AAA studios left in the Bay Area these days you'll notice. Crystal Dynamics outsources half their game development to Montreal as one of the few remaining ones.

Aaaaah, San Francisco. Yeah let's set up shop in the most expensive part of the country outside of Manhattan.

meerak

It's crazy that such a basic game cost $60 million to make. Strikes me as something that would cost half that. It wasn't a very ambitious game in any aspect and the graphics weren't cutting edge for the time either.

what?

Please write up what the average budget for "such a basic game" should be like, broken down into any sort of departmental make-up you want.

Or they could just spend less money on their games without resorting to loot boxes in single player titles.

Imagine how awful loot boxes would've been in a survival horror game.

mcrommert

Banned

Basic game? Very high end graphics game which means lots of animations and assets that require hundreds and hundreds of hours to make. This is why these kinds of games have disappeared... They no longer make financial sense

N7.Angel

And this is why we see like a fraction of the AAA games that we used to see released.

Can we stop with the 60$ bullshit, no complete games cost 60$ now, 4m for a multiplats game is just disappointing, that’s it.

Instro

Am I misreading the OP? He says it wasn't enough, not that it wasn't profitable.

I mean this would literally mean they made less than an average of $15 per copy.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
Would be interesting to see where the budget went into Dead Space 2. Didn't it have a multiplayer mode that nobody asked or cared for? Can't imagine that being a cheap addition to the game.

Many people would be fine with a great game on a more modest budget.

For example, almost no one asked for multiplayer in Dead Space 2.

$60 is absolutely feasible for a video game, but budgets will need to be reigned in, big time.

BotW was likely created with a fraction of the budget of many AAA titles and it's going to end up selling 10 million copies and likely stay the highest rated game of the generation.

That being said, companies like EA, Activision, Warner Bros., etc. aren't going to change their business model anytime soon. In most cases, it works for them.

Wildo09

Yeah compared to the first game it wasn't groundbreaking. And I bet the first game cost less to make.

Speely

Banned
Games are expensive and hard as hell to make. I am honestly surprised we have as much talent still swinging for the fences as we do.

/salute

Duxxy3

4 million wasn't profitable? Dear god... how much did EA really think the game would sell?

Goes back to one of my earlier posts. I don't think horror games have nearly the market that publishers thing they do.

So they made less than $15 per copy sold? Even allowing for a lot of copies being sold at a discount I thought it would be higher than that. Nevertheless, if this is a justification for trying to fleece consumers rather than address the industry's own bad practices it's a pretty weak one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Probably cost of keeping the studio open from project inception to publication; people outside the business have no idea how extreme the burn-rate is for a large developer.

Top Bottom