• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems we have three reviews so far, though the embargo isn't supposed to be up until tomorrow morning.

Only one of them is in English though so I'm going to use Metacritic's excerpts for the others.

Reviews:
Game Informer 9.75
Multiplayer.it - 9.0
AusGamers - 9.0
3djuegos - 8.8
Gamepro.de - 84%

ding, 9:00AM.

I wrote 2300 words and scored Dead Space 3 8/10 for Digital Chumps.

http://digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/10092-dead-space-3.html

Edge [7]

For comparison's sake Dead Space 2 got a [9] and Dead Space an [8]
Polygon 9.5
PA Report No Score
Kotaku NO (Solo) YES (Co-Op)

Excerpts:

Multiplayer.it said:
Despite many premises that could be frightful for the classic fan, Dead Space 3 turns out to be another chapter true to the spirit of the series. Co-op play isn't intrusive and the traditional survival horror structure is safe.
AusGamers said:
An incredibly deep and expanding story and much of the Dead Space feel returning, albeit turned down a little, as well as all the new systems and elements will definitely divide fans, but may be more accessible to newcomers, which is always welcomed with such a rich franchise. Even with the familiarity this delivers a monstrous amount of satisfaction.
3Djuegos said:
Dead Space 3 offers a huge variety of situations and epic moments, and becomes an amazing roller-coaster ride. Is it less scary? Maybe, but the game has tons of sequences that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Lime

Based on the predictability of gaming media and the usual correlation between review scores and development budgets, I expect this to end up with an 86-89 Metacritic score.

Muffdraul

DS3 is a review-proof day 1 purchase for me, DS1 and 2 bought a lot of faith from me. It might be my favorite new IP this gen, tied with Bioshock. Always nice to see your favorites get good reviews.

Grakl

Based on the predictability of gaming media and the usual correlation between review scores and development budgets, I expect this to end up with an 86-89 Metacritic score.

I expect it to end up with a 45-100 Metacritic score. I base this on the predictability of gaming media and the usual correlation between review scores and development budgets.

I like my chances.

Derrick01

Banned

Well it is a AAA shooter made by the media's overlord so that seems about right.

Ledsen

Yep. You can pretty much calculate the Metacritic for any AAA game months beforehand, there's no reason to read reviews unless you always agree with the average Joe AAA-reviewer. This is how it usually goes:

1) AAA game in well-loved series gets changed by the devs, fans are outraged before release
2) Game comes out, Metacritic is 85+
3) Fans buy the game anyway
4) People discover that the apprehensions they had were indeed true, but most (including reviewers) will gobble it up anyway, and often decry the nay-sayers on their podcasts etc
5) People who were drawn in by the hype and reviews start voicing their disappointment, and others start crying "backlash!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Worked out pretty well for Resident Evil 6 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Excited. This starts the crazy wave of games coming out this year.

After this, Crysis 3, MGS: Revengence, Sly 3, Aliens.

Lets not even talk about March!

Well, Ni Nu Kuni kinda did but I'm holding off to that till summer.

antitrop

Early indications seem to place this one on par with earlier entries in the franchise.

Settling in at a high 80 seems reasonable. Dead Space 1 has an 89 and Dead Space 2 has a 90, for the 360 versions.

jkanownik

The 3DJuegos and Multiplayer.it reviews are both 2 points lower than they gave Dead Space 2. If that holds up, the Metacritic would be 88.

Arthur Gies also said that all of the worrying was unwarranted.

RoKKeR

Expecting Metacritic to be over 85. Despite the awful PR as of late, the initial response seems to be positive.

Amir0x

Banned
Dead Space 3 offers a huge variety of situations and epic moments, and becomes an amazing roller-coaster ride. Is it less scary? Maybe, but the game has tons of sequences that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Fucking groan

Jethro

German Gamepro 84% (article not online yet)

Says that the first half of the game is great but the second one is less horror and more action packed.

antitrop

Based purely off of Gies' twitter account, I can see the Polygon score for this game being pretty high. 9.0 is my guess, but 8.5 would hardly be surprising.

Amir0x

Banned
Ya keep waiting for the day when people will get tired of these idiotic cinematic setpiece games but it never seems to come.

if i hear one more fucking game "journalist" talk about roller coaster rides and edge-of-your-seat-excitement and then follow it up with a statement somehow implying it doesn't matter if the game loses its fundamental roots since it's far more exciting this way ("Is it far more shallow and less challenging than past X games? Sure. But was I always with my jaw on the floor as the mountain collapsed in a crazy barely interactive moment? Yes! And there are tons of set pieces like that here!"), I think I will explode.

DatDude

Banned
if i hear one more fucking game "journalist" talk about roller coaster rides and edge-of-your-seat-excitement and then follow it up with a statement somehow implying it doesn't matter if the game loses its fundamental roots since it's far more exciting this way ("Is it far more shallow and less challenging than past X games? Sure. But was I always with my jaw on the floor as the mountain collapsed in a crazy barely interactive moment? Yes! And there are tons of set pieces like that here!"), I think I will explode.

I like that shit though. And so do a bunch of casual gamers as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I like that shit though. And so do a bunch of casual gamers as well.

Well I guess the first step towards fixing a problem is admitting you have one. Gameplay should always take precedence over a linear scene that you can't even control. That's a big reason why hardly anything is replayable (or even playable at all!) anymore.

Fucking groan

Honest question, did Dead Space 2 scare you? I found parts of it very scary, and other parts not so much, but people are always going on about it around here like it wasn't scary at all. Conversely, Amnesia did nothing for me. What I've seen of the single player of this, I think it's still going to push some of my buttons. Obviously it's impossible to tell from the videos what the balance is going to be until I play it, but I'm interested to know if 2 scared other people. I think the section in 2
on the ishamura
was the scariest part of either game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm waiting for gaffers impressions on this. Hoping it's another case of EA's marketing being misleading. I loved the first two so hopefully this winds up being good.

Amir0x

Banned
Honest question, did Dead Space 2 scare you? I found parts of it very scary, and other parts not so much, but people are always going on about it around here like it wasn't scary at all. Conversely, Amnesia did nothing for me.

Well, Amnesia definitely scared the shit out of me.

But elements of Dead Space 1/2 were definitely tense and could cause decent jump scares. I think I would more frequently scare myself into it though (dark corridors and horrible noises; then enemies attack and I jump) then the game actually having particularly novel scares. But being tense and a little frightening was always part of the appeal, for sure.

Derrick01

Banned
To be fair they have a lot of modes to make the game harder or change how it feels when replaying it: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510547

Yeah I saw that mentioned but recent history of "hardcore" modes have not gone over well. Usually you can't just tack these on to a game that was designed the total opposite. If I can get enough evidence that they're balanced properly then I wouldn't rule out a really really cheap PS3 purchase (since PC is origin and has very few options).

Top Bottom