• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake - First 18 minutes

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
First minute:
-Isaac talks lol
-The lady says "yeah I would like to talk to my girlfriend too"
-You emerge and there is no wow. ohhh... that's the planet? meh
-The black guy got really pointy ears lol

YEP

Edit: moustache looking guy is now a black lady and lives. Oook.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Not sure if I'm feeling that Isaac has a voice. It felt really good being able to insert some imagination into the experience about how he was handling the situation, especially the devastation that
Nicole is dead
and how situations like
That appearance of her and the monsters trying to stop you specifically from communicating with her
having a sense of confusion to the whole thing.

I mean I'm going to play it, especially with how Callisto turned out, but I wonder if we could silence him.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Shooting Shots Fired GIF by King of Boys

Eat shit Schofield

TheTurboFD

I'm definitely getting this day one just like I did Callisto. To be honest I am not really with the comparison of this to Callisto. I mean yea Callisto has faults but it's a whole new IP vs a remake where the developers already had the ground work done for them (Story, Gameplay, Art Style, etc). Especially when Scholfield worked on the original Dead Space himself.

First minute:
-Isaac talks lol

YEP

Oh, it's so obvious with that line. Remember in the original game, we didn't know who swang were, except, Isaac, obviously. Now we just HAVE TO KNOW that she dives with beavers.

Romulus

Hate to say it, but this looks like it's worth more of your time than CP. EVen if IT IS a remake of a game we've played before. Knowing what to expect is a double edged sword in this case.

Even if a 12 year old remake is botched it still has a chance of being better than a 2022 AAA game :)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Looks absolutely outstanding IMO, especially when comparing to the OG. God, I adored Dead Space so much. I bought that LRG collector's because the original game meant a ton to me. 1 and 2 are just SO damn good, even today.

I'm really hoping this jump starts the IP. I mean, I miss Visceral so much, but if this team gets familiar enough with the feel and development of the IP.... Maybe....

Love that he finally talks.
Yeah, honestly, a silent protagonist is great. But the idea of a character being talked to by a crew and not verbally responding would be a bit odd. Especially if they're wanting to develop the world more IMO.

First minute:
-Isaac talks lol

YEP
- Yes, because nowadays we have more cinematic games, with more character development, dialogue, etc. Isaac is an engineer, someone who's going to be asked questions, among other things. A silent protagonist just nodding, shaking his head, or shrugging seems a little silly in a time where things are going to hell.
- Really not that important IMO. A line that's 1-3 seconds long doesn't make for an entire experience.
- I mean, it didn't feel immersive breaking to me, this isn't some crew of newbies that haven't experienced stuff like this before. It's basically a day in the life of _______.
- K.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol and in the hallway where the fast door is and you need to slow it down:
Normally you enter this huuuge hallway and hear this monster scream far away.
Now a body ragdolls from the top lol and there is some stupid ship part... There is no monster scream

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks absolutely outstanding IMO, especially when comparing to the OG. God, I adored Dead Space so much. I bought that LRG collector's because the original game meant a ton to me. 1 and 2 are just SO damn good, even today.

I'm really hoping this jump starts the IP. I mean, I miss Visceral so much, but if this team gets familiar enough with the feel and development of the IP.... Maybe....

Yeah, honestly, a silent protagonist is great. But the idea of a character being talked to by a crew and not verbally responding would be a bit odd. Especially if they're wanting to develop the world more IMO.

- Yes, because nowadays we have more cinematic games, with more character development, dialogue, etc. Isaac is an engineer, someone who's going to be asked questions, among other things. A silent protagonist just nodding, shaking his head, or shrugging seems a little silly in a time where things are going to hell.
- Really not that important IMO. A line that's 1-3 seconds long doesn't make for an entire experience.
- I mean, it didn't feel immersive breaking to me, this isn't some crew of newbies that haven't experienced stuff like this before. It's basically a day in the life of _______.
- K.
The silent protagonist was there for a reason. You can't just add him in and dont change anything else...
I like counter arguments but you are shrugging off or defending stuff that invalidates this remake.

This is the WORST type of remake. They should either completely reboot it/remake for real like REsident Evil 2.
Or just make new graphics like Demons Souls (which fucked some art too).
But they took this weird middle road of Lucasing stuff around for who knows what reason

MiguelItUp

The silent protagonist was there for a reason. You can't just add him in and dont change anything else...
I like counter arguments but you are shrugging off or defending stuff that invalidates this remake.

This is the WORST type of remake. They should either completely reboot it/remake for real like REsident Evil 2.
Or just make new graphics like Demons Souls (which fucked some art too).
But they took this weird middle road of Lucasing stuff around for who knows what reason
He was, at the time. Which is why I said "nowadays", I think a lot of people don't think the idea of a silent protagonist in this kind of situation would... make a lot of sense. Him communicating and responding to other characters and the crew doesn't bother me, if he killed necromorphs and constantly talked or something, that'd be different, lmao.

Eh, I disagree. You can't tell TOO much from the first 18 minutes, but the improvements they've made to environments is insane in a lot of cases they've shown. There's still much more to see and experience here. In a lot of cases it looks a LOT more impressive than a "middle road" to me. I remember a lot of people here originally saying the remake "didn't look much different" than the original game. Which was honestly pretty wild to me, lmao.

Last edited:

Sneeder

Banned
Looks trash, same game for 80$ , and they also turned Nicole into a 50 year old woman and 3 minutes in we already have our presence of LGBTQ diversity, it's all so tiresome
Not to mention the animations, combat is still the same, the way Isaac walks is absolutely awful, looks like he a dump in his pants

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

The sound design is really incredible and you can tell this will look incredible in HDR. Voice acting is a little jarring but I am sure that I will adjust. Since it's the same voice actor as 2 and 3, all we need to worry about is the writing. I am in.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He was, at the time. Which is why I said "nowadays", I think a lot of people don't think the idea of a silent protagonist in this kind of situation would... make a lot of sense. Him communicating and responding to other characters and the crew doesn't bother me, if he killed necromorphs and constantly talked or something, that'd be different, lmao.

Eh, I disagree. You can't tell TOO much from the first 18 minutes, but the improvements they've made to environments is insane in a lot of cases they've shown. There's still much more to see and experience here. In a lot of cases it looks a LOT more impressive than a "middle road" to me. I remember a lot of people here originally saying the remake "didn't look much different" than the original game. Which was honestly pretty wild to me, lmao.
That's the problem with some graphical remakes... they overload the environments.
Halo anniversary remake looks way betters than original but also way too busy. Original is still better

Bartski

Gold Member
Having a mute and faceless character is a get-out-of-jail-free card for not having to design, record and mocap a lot of his reaction to surrounding events. He sounds rather matter-of-fact after seeing his crew mates torn to shreds by a bunch of zombies, they could have at least put some heavy breathing during the first combat encounter to make him sound remotely scared. This just feels weird but other than that the game looks great. Could be my nostalgia talking but I love the original so much I'm obviously playing this no matter what. I Will be A/B compared to Callisto Protocol from every angle so I'm curious how this will go.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
inb4 they fuck up HDR like callisto did with grey black levels. Frostbite games looks incredible in HDR tho so unlikely
yeah Calisto HDR is broken but it's "ok" if I set up my to black levels to limited. Crushes the blacks normally but about levels the washed out crap here :p

Luipadre

yeah Calisto HDR is broken but it's "ok" if I set up my to black levels to limited. Crushes the blacks normally but about levels the washed out crap here :p

I really dont understand how game development and QA works. Like if i test my game with HDR i can notice this shit immediately, especially in a game like this, where lighting and shadows are everything. They just doesnt care or what?

Top Bottom