• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake - First 18 minutes

Mister Wolf

Indeed, good memories
giphy.gif

9NS4Kxi.png

I'll never forget getting The Lawnmower Man achievement in Dead Space 2. It popped up at the perfect moment.

Hugare

Issac looks older too, like a 60 year old with a dye job.
7Pk9tLF.png

.... Yeah, adding Isaac now to my list of things that dont look great

As long as there is no shader compilation stutter on PC this game will succeed. People have a lot of love and fond memories of Dead Space. They should already have Motive working on the next gen exclusive version of part 2.

It wont have shader compilation issues.

Game will run on Frostbite, not UE 4.

Mister Wolf

.... Yeah, adding Isaac now to my list of things that dont look great

It wont have shader compilation issues.

Game will run on Frostbite, not UE 4.

Di most Frostbite Engine games run well on PC? Battlefield and Starwars Battlefront are the most popular using it I think. Respawn opted to use Unreal for Fallen Order.

Last edited:

Hugare

Di most Frostbite Engine games run well on PC? Battlefield and Starwars Battlefront are the most popular using it I think. Respawn opted to use Unreal for Fallen Order.
Its one bitch of an engine to develop for, but results are excellent

Battlefield, Battlefront, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, Need for Speed games, all of them run great

Respawn probably opted for Unreal because, as I said, its hard to develop games on it. It's not as flexible as Unreal.

dDoc

I think it was this video, if I'm not mistaken, that claims we have Black Rock to thank for all the woke shenanigans we are getting. An evil corp that's pushing this stuff. Obviously to better their own bottom line eventually and not to make society better.

Will still play this remake down the line.

You intentionally ignore how this is not the only change in the game.

But hey, at least you showed everyone you are a Good Person™
Please do tell how other changes fundamentally makes this experience worse for you? Like race/ gender swapping some characters is not gonna make any difference to the overall game experience

There was a time when I thought original looked good, but now it looks dated when you only compare it to the new games. Flat lighting, blurry textures, aliased shadows, low poly models etc.

I'm blow away how good remake looks like compared to the original. You can see huge amount of details on Isaac suit (and even realistic blood on it), walls and ground is no longer flat texture, lighting is on totally different level too (and I like how lights interact with fog) because there's dynamic GI. I cant wait to play this remake and hope they will remake DS2-3 as well.

Last edited:

Hugare

My brehs, I think y'all have forgotten what Isaac looked like in the original Dead Space.

krgKhui.png
lol, I'm not saying that he was gorgeous before or anything

But now he really looks like a 50 years old dude who paints his hair

Maybe the angle didnt help. We will see how he is at the final shot when the game releases.

Fools idol

Banned
I laugh every time people whine about characters looking 'different'. Sometimes I think people expect the original character model to just be cut and pasted awkwardly into the new upgraded environments 🥶

Aaron Olive

I laugh every time people whine about characters looking 'different'. Sometimes I think people expect the original character model to just be cut and pasted awkwardly into the new upgraded environments 🥶
We weren’t expecting the aging, midlife crises and unnecessary ugly-fication of certain characters. Everything else like the atmosphere volumetrics… chef’s kiss.

Last edited:

Hugare

You didnt see people complaining when Naughty Dog upgraded Elena, Nathan, Ellie, Joel, Sully and etc. to next gen

You can upgrade the character without it losing its identity. But thats not what we are seeing here.

levyjl1988

Banned
Yeah, they made Nicole ugly as fuck, at this point I don't care if she's dead, she's too old to be his girlfriend, looks like she's his mother at this point.
Good job EA I'll wait for this game to hit $20 before considering it as a purchase.
You don't downgrade attractive people to ugly status. It means fewer sales.
I was hyped for this game, but now, not so much anymore. Day 1 game purchase, this is not.
Wait for a sale.

It's modern politics and takes me out of the game.
what is modern politics exactly? hundreds of years in future people having same sex relationship(and just dares to mention seeing her partner in a future in 5 second line ) or a poc being on screen as doctor?(because you know bc that is super rare !!)

nkarafo

what is modern politics exactly? hundreds of years in future people having same sex relationship(and just dares to mention seeing her partner in a future in 5 second line ) or a poc being on screen as doctor?(because you know bc that is super rare !!)

I played the original and i know the reason they did these changes. They didn't need to do them, they don't make the game better, it's also a remake of an existing game so they didn't have to make it "different". They took the time and effort to do these change only because "it's 2022" and they have to virtue signal for the "modern audiences". It's politics. It takes me out of the game when i see it, can't help it, sorry.

I also tend not to support corporate virtual signaling in general.

It's OK if you don't care though.

data_jack

Geez, this intro tells me everything I think I need to know about the DS:Remake in less than 2 minutes
- Nicole is like 45 years old with her new textures?!
- inane dialogue about CEC clearance and technical jargon
- the black team leader guy has all his commands neutered by *strong supporting cast* and he is way too chummy for the gravity of the situation
- Isaac talking his head off

Gonna pass on this one. I think they missed the mark

Arachnid

No this was back in 2004
throw-up-dry-heave.gif

Really though, it's fine. His opinion isn't uncommon. IDK if you remember, but the general reviews for SH2 back when it came out where pretty middling. People didn't like the psychological approach it took to the story and thought it was too much of a departure from the first game in tone and story. It wasn't until it was disected over the years where people appreciated it more and it became survival horrors darling.

Reactions: TGO
I played the original and i know the reason they did these changes. They didn't need to do them, they don't make the game better, it's also a remake of an existing game so they didn't have to make it "different". They took the time and effort to do these change only because "it's 2022" and they have to virtue signal for the "modern audiences". It's politics. It takes me out of the game when i see it, can't help it, sorry...
one would like to think that, somewhere down the road, games being 'influenced' in this way will stick out as odd period pieces, as in 'wow! you can tell right away that this's a 2022-2023 game!'...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I'm happy with what i saw and i don't care much for some of those changes although it might have been better to keep it closer to the original. In terms of visuals this sure won't reach the likes of The Callisto Protocol but the artstyle in general is still superior. Isaacs suit is still so damn cool! I love how the flesh tears away of those Necromorphs. Animations could be improved. The audio mixdown sounds much more dynamic compared to The Callisto Protocol and i like that a lot.

I will be there on release.

Shakka43

It's a fact that they don't. As for why they made the change, I don't know. Ask them.

The changes are pointless and unnecessary, but I'm buying and playing Dead Space to play Dead Space, not to give a shit about throwaway characters or aspects of a character such as their perceived age.
Really, You don't know?

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I played the original and i know the reason they did these changes. They didn't need to do them, they don't make the game better, it's also a remake of an existing game so they didn't have to make it "different". They took the time and effort to do these change only because "it's 2022" and they have to virtue signal for the "modern audiences". It's politics. It takes me out of the game when i see it, can't help it, sorry.

Hit the nail on the head.

Justin9mm

I realize nobody gives a shit about story and atmosphere and just wants to gun down monsters in space. And I'm sure Callisto Protocol does that very well.

But what made Dead Space a memorable classic for me was the Ishimura, Nicole and the creepy cult. Finding out what happened to your ex was quite emotional.
Callisto is melee based, it's anything but gun down monsters in space. I wish it was. Then it would be a lot more exciting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What an assinine take, like really, who gives a shit? how does this make the game worse for you? Im not sure if anyone broke the news to you, but gay people, black people, and middle aged people exist in the real world too.
With the exception of people that like the same sex, Are you saying the original was lacking diversity and people of different ages?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
well, very obviously, the people making the changes, for starters...
Maybe they’re just looking for busy work. The game was already damn near perfect. Changes for the sake of making changes is not a good reason. I’m a POC, and a strong supporter of the LGBT community. But shoehorning stuff in to past works isn’t always the answer for inclusion.

Maybe they’re just looking for busy work. The game was already damn near perfect. Changes for the sake of making changes is not a good reason. I’m a POC, and a strong supporter of the LGBT community. But shoehorning stuff in to past works isn’t always the answer for inclusion.
the problem with some people at this point is that this kind of identity-based 'busy work' is the only kind they seem to know, or have a talent for. which's sorta both miserable & creepy...

lol, I'm not saying that he was gorgeous before or anything

But now he really looks like a 50 years old dude who paints his hair

Maybe the angle didnt help. We will see how he is at the final shot when the game releases.
He is supposed to be 49, his hair was getting gray. The new version looks bad with the hair die job. Actually all the characters have gotten worse in the remake.

The fact that those things take you out of the experience means problem is rooted somewhere else, not the developers

Issac looks older too, like a 60 year old with a dye job.
7Pk9tLF.png
wCUhjtn.jpg

It just looks like the actor who plays him. Isaac is supposed to be 43 during the first game, so I think it checks out.

I do think Nicole looks older than the actress that plays her for some reason, I don't know if it's the hairstyle or just the overall design, I guess we'll have to wait for the final game.
GfFqrsp.jpg

Top Bottom