• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space to Wii

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ChoklitReign said:
I've been thinking of getting this on the PC. Is there any point in getting this for the Wii when I have a decent PC and a 360 when there's so much potential that the atmosphere will be lost when the graphics and sound will be gimped? I don't even have a surround sound system so I've been thinking that playing DS with good headphones would be better than any console alternative. Advice?
Advice: if you can wait until we get any concrete information besides "it's coming on Wii", wait. If you can't, don't.

KrawlMan

ChoklitReign said:
I've been thinking of getting this on the PC. Is there any point in getting this for the Wii when I have a decent PC and a 360 when there's so much potential that the atmosphere will be lost when the graphics and sound will be gimped? I don't even have a surround sound system so I've been thinking that playing DS with good headphones would be better than any console alternative. Advice?

In regards to getting it on the PC...visually it's really stunning, but be sure to have a USB 360 controller. Mouse+Keyboard PC controls on this game are god awful.

As for this coming to the Wii, I'm really excited :D. If they can pull off graphics anywhere near the quality of Metroid Prime 3, and the controls of RE4 Wii...this game will be fantastic.

codecow

wsippel said:
I guess it's safe to assume that Dead Space Wii isn't handled by EA Redwood, then? If the studio has three teams, with one of the teams working on Dante's Inferno and one on Godfather 2, and you not working on either and not on Dead Space Wii - unless the ".2" team is working on Dead Space Wii...

Heh heh... I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for word from our fearless leader Glen Schofield to get an exact rundown of everything we're making. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I know I sound like one of those obnoxious tease-bait folks but I wanted to chime in here as I have seen the Wii game and wanted to defend it a bit.

Dascu

Vinci said:
The real question, to me, is why does it have to remain the same game? In fact, I'll go one step further and answer, "It shouldn't." Should it be similar enough to evoke the same atmosphere of Dead Space? No doubt. But will it be the exact same game? Only if they're being lazy as hell. Every developer with an interest in bringing their existing titles or IPs to the Wii should look at PES Wii as the template for how this should be done: It should not be the same game. Particularly if they want people to double-dip - which they undoubtedly do.
Agreed. It'd be best if they started from scratch and design everything with the Wii in mind. They could go even further and completely change the game into something like a side-story or a prequel, with new story and gameplay content. That way, it'd be incentive for those who have already played Dead Space to buy this game as well.

Eteric Rice

Dascu said:
Agreed. It'd be best if they started from scratch and design everything with the Wii in mind. They could go even further and completely change the game into something like a side-story or a prequel, with new story and gameplay content. That way, it'd be incentive for those who have already played Dead Space to buy this game as well.

That, or give it a good bit of extra content/alternate endings or something.

Lots of gamers are willing to double dip sometimes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
codecow said:
Heh heh... I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for word from our fearless leader Glen Schofield to get an exact rundown of everything we're making. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I know I sound like one of those obnoxious tease-bait folks but I wanted to chime in here as I have seen the Wii game and wanted to defend it a bit.
Better or worse looking than RE4 Wii?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
EmCeeGramr said:
i can't find that "bioshock wii" post anymore :'(

Yeah, they purged all of his posts from the database.

codecow said:

Thanks for answering our questions, it is always great to see developers come and talk shop. Now, when you say that Dead Space Wii will not disappoint graphically, would you also say that Dead Rising for Wii does not disappoint graphically? I understand if you can't answer this question, but I think it'd give some people a good idea of what to expect from the port.

Either way, I am pumped for this.

KrawlMan said:
In regards to getting it on the PC...visually it's really stunning, but be sure to have a USB 360 controller. Mouse+Keyboard PC controls on this game are god awful.

Could you (or anyone else) please elaborate?

Vorador

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Could you (or anyone else) please elaborate?

They're not. Dead Space has a bug that makes the mouse control "floaty" when v-sync is enabled. Once disabled, controls are fine. I finished the game on PC twice and never had any problem.

Luckyman

Banned
dswii.jpg

Kotaku is awesome :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Vorador said:
They're not. Dead Space has a bug that makes the mouse control "floaty" when v-sync is enabled. Once disabled, controls are fine. I finished the game on PC twice and never had any problem.

Turning off v-sync is one of the worst things you can do in a game with tons of flashing lights. It looked terrible with it off.

nightside said:
does this happens for all perma banned (and i missed why ha was permabanned)?

No, I don't believe it occurs to all permabanned accounts. I believe the reason why his posts were purged was because he continued communicating with GAF through his avatar.

AceBandage said:
The problem is it just came to soon.
Developers and consumers weren't as ready to make the jump as many thought.

While that is arguable for blockbusters, companies like Atlus, Grasshopper, Blue Tounge, and NiS could never afford retail development. The costs of developing games have surpassed what small developers and what most medium developers can do. It would be
wise if gaming opened up multiple expectations for games. Basically on a next gen console I can play games that look as good as a CGI then move on to something that looks like it was on the SEGA Dreamcast then play a game that looks like a hand-drawn cartoon come to life then move onto something that looks like it belongs on the SNES.

Link said:
Yeah, that pretty much is the route most have taken. Even the ones who might decide to turn around eventually will find that by that point, they won't have enough fuel to get back either.

This pretty much shows how naive this industry is. Then again this is the same industry that has nearly abandoned a whole dimension of gaming.

RJT

crimsonheadGCN said:
No, I don't believe it occurs to all permabanned accounts. I believe the reason why his posts were purged was because he continued communicating with GAF through his avatar.
:lol really?

Crushed was awesome.

Vinci

Danish
Jokeropia said:
This growth?

[IM]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090130/img/slide/15l.jpg[/IM]

All this does is prove that when Nintendo is successful, no one else is. Selfish, self-indulgent and archaic, only caring about whether they do well. Microsoft and Sony provide platforms for true gamers, for the medium to advance and evolve, and Nintendo gives us last-gen hardware and a new-gen marketing campaign, convincing the unknowing public that it's somehow being given a yellow brick road into the fun of this industry.

I hope Nintendo is happy, fucking up the industry the way it is and forcing all these truly innovative companies to feel the crunch.

am i doing this right?

WARNING said:
i played RE4 on th wii; it looked like shit on my HD TV----worse than the ps2 version. i couldnt be bothered to play such a muddy mess ... and i played through the GC version 12 times ... so it sure as shit wasn't the GAME i wasn't fond of.

golly gii, i must be anti wii. waffles.

You are banned, but whatever...

RE4 Wii has the same graphics of RE4 GC, RE4 GC has better graphics than the PS2 version, so RE4 Wii looks better that the PS2 version, totally independent from playing in a HD TV or no.

So it's logic, next time use some.

Relaxed Muscle said:
You are banned, but whatever...

RE4 Wii has the same graphics of RE4 GC, RE4 GC has better graphics than the PS2 version, so RE4 Wii looks better that the PS2 version, totally independent from playing in a HD TV or no.

So it's logic, next time use some.
And that's why he's banned.

Vinci said:
am i doing this right?
Needs more anger, conspiracy theories, and general all round idiocy.

Sadist

Darunia said:
page 7 reminds me why I love gaf so much. the game has just been announced and already people are talking about how they're gonna have to cut on flying space debris :lol so awesome
This.

But man... the internet is sad place for Wii owners. :(

Mantorok

So IGN reckons it's an entirely new game eh? As in, like instead of getting RE5 Wii owners get RE:UC sort-of new game?

Any truth to this or is it a port?

Sadist

Mantorok said:
So IGN reckons it's an entirely new game eh? As in, like instead of getting RE5 Wii owners get RE:UC sort-of new game?

Any truth to this or is it a port?
Port of 360/PS3 version. No on-rails stuff.

MiniDitka

WARNING said:
played RE4 on th wii; it looked like shit on my HD TV----worse than the ps2 version. i couldnt be bothered to play such a muddy mess ... and i played through the GC version 12 times ... so it sure as shit wasn't the GAME i wasn't fond of.

golly gii, i must be anti wii. waffles.

RE4 looked pretty good on my HDTV and its a crappy one so if EA can make it look at least as good as it I'll be happy :D

RE4 on a crappy HDTV - http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF/video/-j5FBE_y/miniditka_re4hdtv_test_videogames_video/

dacuk

God, the amount of Wii trolling / ignorance in this thread is amazing.

More considering that most of the ones complaining about DSWii do not have a Wii....

PSGames

This, Bioshock and Portal would make great Wii games I would think... Just port them to UE2 and rack in the cash.

Threi

notag
Eteric Rice said:
decapitate goombas?

If they are gunna use a nintendo environment use Valhalla dammit!

man MP3 has such underrated graphics. It is really one of the best-looking games this gen.

"oh dude Wii can't do grafix as good as PS2 just look at DR: Chop till you drop, Crusin', and *skips over MP3* Quantum of Solace"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh god, I'd buy Dead Galaxy. I love twisted visions of relatively wholesome worlds

*looks fondly at American McGee's Alice*

Vorador said:
Then you're lucky. I've tried every possible combination of the settings V-sync in-game, V-sync in drivers, triple buffering, Max frames prerendered, Logitech mouse sensitivity, in-game mouse sensitivity (even editing the .ini file to take it above 1.0) and no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the damn mouse lag. There was always a solid half-second of lag.

Point is, it probably depends on your system whether you can get rid of the lag.

codecow

morningbus said:
Now, when you say that Dead Space Wii will not disappoint graphically, would you also say that Dead Rising for Wii does not disappoint graphically? I understand if you can't answer this question, but I think it'd give some people a good idea of what to expect from the port.

I haven't seen Dead Rising on the Wii so I can't make a 1-1 comparison. All I can say is when I saw the game in motion on the Wii I said, "Wow". I tend to think everything is crap, so from me, "Wow" is a high compliment.

Haunted

HK-47 said:
Oh god, I'd buy Dead Galaxy. I love twisted visions of relatively wholesome worlds

*looks fondly at American McGee's Alice*
Play American McGee's Grimm. Low budget, but pretty cool in that aspect.

Top Bottom