• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space to Wii

Linkzg said:
realistically, a 2D Dead Space would be more in the style of Blackthorn, Flashback, etc.
Since you can move while shooting in Dead Space, no, not really. Metroid would be a better comparison.

Neo C.

Neomoto said:
Well, finally more pubs are porting a high profile "core HD" game to Wii. I hope more publishers follow.
It's too late. When they are shifting now, we'll see the results in 2011. :/
Good for those who bet on the right horse, I guess. The lack of competition just means more revenue for them.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
shovelware_2.jpg

You know it's a terrible cash in, when the screens come in there's going to be tons of nerd rage going around.
Hmm, I notice you already weighed in with your opinion earlier in the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14636073&postcount=179

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
It'll be terrible, don't kid yourself even for a second. The question is just HOW bad it will be.
I guess you felt the need to chime in again now that you found that spiffy gif. Good show.

jrricky

Banned
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
shovelware_2.jpg

You know it's a terrible cash in, when the screens come in there's going to be tons of nerd rage going around.
You spent the whole day trying to make that pic or try to find it just to post it here hours later for no reason at all.

You are hurt, I understand.

Haunted

I needs more info! codecow, leak some pics.

HK-47 said:
True. But really what made me love Alice, and what I didnt think they went nearly far enough in, was Wonderland as a physical representation of her shattered mind. I really wanted even more visual hints and dialogue with the inhabitants. Still quite good for a Quake engine tp action game at the time. Quite a high concept jump from the Doom games to that

I'm under the impression that Grimm does the whole dark thing just for the sake of it, which is interesting from an artistic perspective but it lacks the hooks and bite of Alice. Still I have been meaning to try it
No, you're absolutely right. Grimm is more of a fun diversion (providing intelligent lessons out of the fairytales, though) than a truly 'dark' game á la Alice. That game was totally ahead of its time.

codecow

Haunted said:
I needs more info! codecow, leak some pics.

No, you're absolutely right. Grimm is more of a fun diversion (providing intelligent lessons out of the fairytales, though) than a truly 'dark' game á la Alice. That game was totally ahead of its time.

Lol, if I did I'd get /fired.

My memory of Alice from watching and listening to people play it at work while they were making it is that the music that repeated over and over. It drove me nuts. I can still hear some of those tunes in my head...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
codecow said:
Lol, if I did I'd get /fired.

My memory of Alice from watching and listening to people play it at work while they were making it is that the music that repeated over and over. It drove me nuts. I can still hear some of those tunes in my head...

The artistic creativity behind School Daze and the Pale Realm is top notch. A shame about the forest though. Wasnt nearly as good due to the Quake engine not really being meant for outdoor levels

PSGames

Eteric Rice

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wonder if a reason they decided to make a Wii version was because they had this Xbox engine already set to go.

~Kinggi~

Banned
soldat7 said:
This is footage of Dead Space running on an original Xbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHyOGtzxYg

Perhaps this is an indication of how the game might look on the Wii?? Looks pretty good.

There are some interesting tidbits about the development of the non-Wii version here as well:

http://sites.google.com/site/arewescaredyet/dead-space-presentation-feature
well the xbox is more powerful than the wii, mainly due to the fact it could take advantage of normal maps to greater effect.

Turrican3

_leech_ said:
The first line the person said was, "This is what the game looked like, mostly not good."
Well, I guess nobody expected to hear "listen guys, this looks better than what we've released on nextgen consoles" :)

It's up to EA to decide how much efforts ( = money ) can be put on Dead Space Wii, I'm sure they can release a pretty nice game, if they want to.

Threi

notag
~Kinggi~ said:
Dont know why you guys are quoting my avatar, not like what i said isnt true.
oh no, actually quite the opposite.

We are amazed at your ability to combine commonly-known computer techniques with superlatives to create a solid argument of the performance of both systems.

Don't take it the wrong way, we are quoting your avatar out of respect.

CaVaYeRo

~Kinggi~ said:
well the xbox is more powerful than the wii, mainly due to the fact it could take advantage of normal maps to greater effect.

1604.jpg

My younger brother is stronger than me, mainly due to the fact he's bigger.

soldat7 said:

Perhaps this is an indication of how the game might look on the Wii?? Looks pretty good.

There are some interesting tidbits about the development of the non-Wii version here as well:

Damn that doesn't look too bad. And that's from 2006 as well. I can only imagine how much better the Wii version will look. Just look at the beginning of 2007 when Ubisoft decided to use an unfinished Gamecube engine for Far Cry Vengeance instead of going with the Xbox or PS2.

Link said:
I wonder if a reason they decided to make a Wii version was because they had this Xbox engine already set to go.

That doesn't even make any sense. The Xbox is a totally different architecture then the Wii.

CaVaYeRo

Flying_Phoenix said:
That doesn't even make any sense. The Xbox is a totally different architecture then the Wii.

Agreed. It's just like trying to copy/paste Far Cry from Xbox to Wii... warning!

But yes, I think they could achieve something similar/better.

Teknoman

I just hope they actually try to take full advantage of whatever graphic capabilities the Wii offers. Also make decent use of the Wiimote speaker.

CaVaYeRo said:
Agreed. It's just like trying to copy/paste Far Cry from Xbox to Wii... warning!

Actually it's as I've said in my previous post, Far Cry was a copy/paste of an unfinished Gamecube version originally planned to the Wii, not Xbox.

CaVaYeRo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Actually it's as I've said in my previous post, Far Cry was a copy/paste of an unfinished Gamecube version originally planned to the Wii, not Xbox.

what? I didn't know that, I read somewhere that the main graphical ugliness was due to the horrible port work done from Xbox. So, if you're right, now it's really sad!

gamingeek

The Xbox version of Dead Space looks good. I hope they really go to town with the telekinesis aspect like elebits.

This is a better video of the snow mapping in We Ski:

http://www.wipido.com/video/KMBUnbuD3pqe

Watch it in high quality.

It impressed me as it covers the whole mountain all the way down and the reflections are great.

markatisu

Well the Xbox video at least shows that if it looks like shit its because they half assed the attempt.

Regardless of the spec wars seeing what we did in the Xbox video means they should at least be able to get something comparable, instead of say something 1st gen PS2 or even PSP looking that we have gotten the last 2 years from 3rd parties

selig

Banned
I dont see how DR should look any worse on the Wii, except loss of resolution.

but i say it here: make the game into cel-shading on the Wii, dark style, mature cel-shading. It would be so awsome.

[Nintex]

TwinIonEngines said:
Rebel Strike still looks better than it has any right to.
When the GameCube and Xbox were just rolling in, Eggebrecht talked all about the power of the GameCube, which in his opinion was far beyond the PS2 and Xbox. The only flaw in the design according to him was the lack of RAM. The GameCube could be pushed well beyond it's limit, he even called out Nintendo for the conservative specs that they released to the press.

gamingeek

[Nintex] said:
When the GameCube and Xbox were just rolling in, Eggebrecht talked all about the power of the GameCube, which in his opinion was far beyond the PS2 and Xbox. The only flaw in the design according to him was the lack of RAM. The GameCube could be pushed well beyond it's limit, he even called out Nintendo for the conservative specs that they released to the press.

If you check out the thread I linked above it has the pertinent parts of the Revogamers interview where he talks about what they can acheive with Wii having more memory and faster clock speed. Sounds pretty cool.

markatisu

[Nintex] said:

That also ties into what Julian said when the Wii first came out (and again around the time Lair was releasing) and be basically said he was embarrased to see what was hitting the system since it was more powerful then the Gamecube.

Hopefully in 2009 and 2010 we get some developers who try to push the system, Sega is doing a great job with HoTD (which really pushes the Wii at times) and MadWorld and their partnership with High Voltage to release The Conduit.

I can't make many impressions from the video because it's so fucking dark, but looks like the framerate really struggles at points. It looks like 20 FPS, whereas on the 360/PS3 it was an extremely smooth 30 FPS. The Wii can certainly handle mapping fine but I believe its Achilles' heal is its ability to render shaders compared to the Xbox. I am afraid the shadows and blood, two of the most important graphical effects in the game, may have a significantly disappointing impact on atmosphere on the Wii.

Neo C. said:
It's too late. When they are shifting now, we'll see the results in 2011. :/
Good for those who bet on the right horse, I guess. The lack of competition just means more revenue for them.

Not really. I predict the Wii's successor will be much like the Gameboy Color. Slightly better graphics (like mid-range 360), new and cool features, and have a higher resolution (not saying the GBC did these things) but the ability to play the games on the original Wii. Nintendo would be insane to not do this as it would just be a continuation of the Wii phenomenon.

CaVaYeRo said:
what? I didn't know that, I read somewhere that the main graphical ugliness was due to the horrible port work done from Xbox. So, if you're right, now it's really sad!

Well it's more so what I assumed. There was originaly a Gamecube version of Far Cry planned as a console multiplat (guess to go with the Xbox and the then PS2 version) but it was later canceled. In the state the game was in it only made sense that they used the Gamecube engine and unfinished version of it.

Drek

Not gonna waste my time reading a thread that largely seems to boil down to EA bashing, Wii bashing, etc..

But this sounds like an excellent use of the IP to me. The alternate aiming for the cutter, hovering ripper blades, and telekinesis have amazing potential on the Wii. Look forward to it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ChoklitReign said:
I can't make many impressions from the video because it's so fucking dark, but looks like the framerate really struggles at points.

Are you complaining about the framerate of an unfinished, unreleased, and never shown off to the public game for the original Xbox?

...you do know this is why we don't see games anymore until they're about six months or less from release right?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
markatisu said:
Hopefully in 2009 and 2010 we get some developers who try to push the system, Sega is doing a great job with HoTD (which really pushes the Wii at times) and MadWorld and their partnership with High Voltage to release The Conduit.
well, to be factually correct, sega are not pushing anything. it's headstrong/kuju, who are yet to release a wii title that does not sit in the upper half on the wii tech spectrum (theirs are bwii, gwg and overkill).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, that XBOX footage is actually very impressive (from what you can see of it).

That said, I haven't really seen a single game on the Wii push the kinds of techniques present in some of the higher end XBOX games. Furthermore, most developers do not seem interested in PUSHING the Wii hardware to such heights. I mean, last gen, there were developers that were trying to reach the limits of what XBOX was capable of. Those type of developers are not likely to be working on the Wii and, as such, it will rarely be utilized properly. At least, that's how it seems.

I'd like to see EA do something special on the Wii, though. I actually hope that the Wii game is an entirely different product worth playing for those who have experienced the original.

dark10x said:
Hmm, that XBOX footage is actually very impressive (from what you can see of it).

That said, I haven't really seen a single game on the Wii push the kinds of techniques present in some of the higher end XBOX games. Furthermore, most developers do not seem interested in PUSHING the Wii hardware to such heights.

943228_20070921_screen001.jpg

monster-hunter-3-20081006072330060_640w.jpg

Luckily there are some.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Neither game appears to really push the limits of the system, technically speaking, and even if they did, it's still a rarity. Those are beautiful games, though.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not really. I predict the Wii's successor will be much like the Gameboy Color. Slightly better graphics (like mid-range 360), new and cool features, and have a higher resolution (not saying the GBC did these things) but the ability to play the games on the original Wii. Nintendo would be insane to not do this as it would just be a continuation of the Wii phenomenon.
Could be. As far as I can tell, Nintendo has three or four different directions that they could take with their next generation:

1) Wii+ - I'd reason that they could get away with yet another die shrink and tweak for 2011 or 2012, and with 3x the clockspeed and 2x-3x the ram, they could make something that is very reasonable for 720p rendering. Include a scaler to get it to display 1080i, NTSC, and PAL, and rely on the TV's internal scaler if it needs to scale to 1080p. This is my favorite theory of where they'll go. It will allow them to fairly easily maintain backwards compatibility, and will be an upgrade for their expanded audience.

2) 360/360+ (or the full generational leap) - Whole new chipset and 512 megs of ram. Aim to meet or beat what the 360 and PS3 do. This could be where Nintendo goes. I think that they'll do this if 3rd parties start seeing development costs come down as tools become better. I"m a bit skeptical of this as texturing is paid for in man-hours.

3) SuperGenerational Leap - Whole new chipset and one or more gigs of ram. Stuff as much hardware as they can into a $300 box and still make a profit - if not immediately - then eventually. This isn't likely.

4) Extended Generation - This is the wildcard, and can be combined with any of the other three. Let the Wii stay on shelves for 8-10 years with no CPU, GPU, or RAM upgrade. We may see upgrades to Flash, wifi, control scheme (motion+ and the like), or casing, but the system's capabilities stay the same.

I want to make a new thread about this, make it a prediction thread where people make their predictions in a pre-codified way, but I know that it wouldn't end well.

EDIT: Do'h. End of page.

soldat7 said:

What's that youtube video you have there? Is it some kind of video game? I can't see shit other than some screen screen blackness.

Top Bottom