• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Durante

Best of luck and sorry if I sounded a bit pushy. Keep up the great work man. I think I can say on behalf of all of us here, we appreciate it!
Don't worry, it didn't sound pushy, I just wanted to explain what I had been doing.

I fixed the enemy trail thing now, at least those instances I could find. It's kind of hard to fix since when it's working correctly it's such an extremely subtle effect -- I actually thought I had totally killed it instead of fixing it for a while.

Will do a release within the next hour unless something unforeseen happens.

Mr. Desu

Don't worry, it didn't sound pushy, I just wanted to explain what I had been doing.

I fixed the enemy trail thing now, at least those instances I could find. It's kind of hard to fix since when it's working correctly it's such an extremely subtle effect -- I actually thought I had totally killed it instead of fixing it for a while.

Very cool! Fixed the issue on my end that I was having that was preventing my progress. Basically, the game would freeze up every time I would try and talk to someone. The easy fix was forcing the game into a windowed mode to play through the scene. This wasn't too bothersome as a whole, but the windowed fullscreen may fix this issue.

By the way: This only happened during the first (I'm saying first because I don't know if there are any others later on) town meeting kind of thing. After getting out of there I switched back to fullscreen to continue playing the game and have not run into any other issues. I am also not currently using the mod as it seems to break detection while using OBS. Not sure why, but I'm sure I can make it work with windowed borderless. Very excited for the next little patch you'll be applying. I think it sucks a bit that RSG wasn't able to do what you have accomplished in such a short time, but despite all the hate their getting, I do appreciate the fact that they put forth the effort to even try and bring it to Steam.

derExperte

Sounds great, I'll wait before playing further. Does that by any chance also fix the displaced minimap? That one's bothering me the most right now, really hard to see where you're supposed to drive to.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
There's been a lot of talk about 360 pad support... but what about PS3? Would that be any easier to inject?

Apologies if that's a silly question.

Gbraga

There's been a lot of talk about 360 pad support... but what about PS3? Would that be any easier to inject?

Apologies if that's a silly question.

You can use custom drivers to make your PC recognize your DS3 as a 360 controller, so making the game compatible with a 360 pad would let everyone play, making it compatible with the DS3 only would make no sense as it would make the most popular controller among PC gamers useless.

I'm a DS3 warrior myself, but I'm used to have my system recognize it as a 360 controller, so I just ask for that.

Durante

Sounds great, I'll wait before playing further. Does that by any chance also fix the displaced minimap? That one's bothering me the most right now, really hard to see where you're supposed to drive to.
No, since I didn't get that far in the game yet (playing the same scene 40 times over for testing, with coding in between, really slows down your progress ;)). It's next on the agenda though.

Mr. Desu

No, since I didn't get that far in the game yet (playing the same scene 40 times over for testing, with coding in between, really slows down your progress ;)). It's next on the agenda though.

When you release the next patch, I'll take a look into it. My main thought with this actually probably has to do with the internal rendering resolution, which could throw off certain UI elements. Just my thought.

derExperte

Hm, the game now crashs either instantly when using fullscreen or after loading a save for a very long time when in borderless mode.

Durante

Hm, the game now crashs either instantly when using fullscreen or after loading a save for a very long time when in borderless mode.
Well, that's certainly not what should happen. Let me check.

Edit:
Both fullscreen and borderless windowed are still working fine for me...

Durante

derExperte, can you try setting "borderlessFullscreen" and/or "disableJoystick" to 0 in the .ini and see if that changes anything?

Mr. Desu

So enabling the borderless fullscreen mode is crashing the game for you? I'll have to look into that.

Is it working and/or broken for anyone else?

Ok. The good news, it works for me rendering the game at 1080 and presenting at 1080 with borderless! Nice work!

Also, I tested my theory with the minimap and internal resolution fixing that, but it didn't sadly. Seems that needs to be edited on it's on. Otherwise, it seems to be doing it's job nicely.

derExperte

So enabling the borderless fullscreen mode is crashing the game for you? I'll have to look into that.

Exactly.

Unfortunately and unrelated to your fix (tried even deleting it) my game crashs everytime at the end of the cutscenes after visiting the art gallery. Argh.

BiggestBen

Neo Member
The borderless fullscreen mode is also crashing the game for me, disabling it works fine though.

Also, does anyone else notice how weird the driving controls are? Turning left or right seems to also turn the camera and I'm not really sure if it's supposed to be that way, but it makes the driving feel really swimmy. I don't recall it being that way in the 360 or PS3 versions.

derExperte

Looks like I won't be able to progress further than E2:Chapter9, always crashs no matter what I do or use as settings, restarting the PC didn't help. Others seem to have problems there too. Maybe everyone (not a lot have come this far yet)?

Looks like I won't be able to progress further than E2:Chapter9, always crashs no matter what I do or use as settings, restarting the PC didn't help. Others seem to have problems there too. Maybe everyone (not a lot have come this far yet)?

Not me, been waiting on the minimap fix.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Fingers crossed for full pad integration soonish. In the meantime, I think I'll check out some of the game's texture files for any "Rainy Woods" leftovers.

Foaloal

Anyone found a fix for the crash when driving a car?

As soon as I get into a car the audio starts to loop incredibly annoyingly.

I can turn the wheel left/right or mess with the signal lights, but as soon as I try to go forward or reverse the entire game crashes.

I can progress by walking everywhere, but that's not really much of a solution.

Edit: Also, anyone experiencing unreasonably long loading times? I'm playing off an SSD so I can't understand why loading times are longer than any game I've played with modern high end graphics.

Edit2:

Thanks, restarting does allow me to drive the car. The issue with looping annoying audio is still there though, and it's quite annoying. I don't want to miss the car conversations, but it's hard to enjoy them with a constant tire squealing kind of noise looping.

Another issue I'm experiencing which I doubt anyone will be able to fix is that during in game engine cutscenes sometimes the audio gets quiet and only comes out of one channel (left or right headphone in this case). Also it always seems to come out of the wrong channel, i.e. if the character talking is on the right side of the screen their voice is heard on my left headphone (and I don't have my headphones in the wrong ears or anything like that)

Mr. Desu

Just got there and I'm having this issue as well. I was so excited to keep on going on, but the bugs are really hindering me going through and streaming as well.

tensuke

Thank you Durante! Been planning on picking this up over the weekend, glad to see you've already gotten things working better so soon. Awesome work, as always! :D

derExperte

Anyone found a fix for the crash when driving a car?

They're talking about it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/247660/discussions/0/792924952995692474/ Rebooting can fix it.

Just got there and I'm having this issue as well. I was so excited to keep on going on, but the bugs are really hindering me going through and streaming as well.

So is anyone not affected by this? If yes I would appreciate a savegame right after the gallery part. If no this could turn out to be a much bigger problem than the other bugs.

Nishastra

Banned
Where, exactly? I'm past this. I did start having crashing problems around there, but not consistent ones.

Edit: Something I didn't notice until now... Is DPfix messing up the normal mapping? It seems to me that it is. All the wrinkles in York's suit and the bumps on the walls and whatnot go away if I have it turned on.
24BE4CFC393F503DD4200FE3ECD5E62FEA9245CF
DCF3A63FEF93DA3F9DCE2097AD5B3AB3ED31DC0E

This is regardless of any DPfix texture options, and happens in both versions.

derExperte

Where, exactly? I'm past this. I did start having crashing problems around there, but not consistent ones.

Immediately after visiting the art gallery for the first time. York sees the guy with the dog through a window and then crash. Could you maybe upload your savegame somewhere? It's in \Steam\steamapps\common\Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut\savedata Many thanks!

Revenile

I had noticed the normal maps messing up and posted in the steam forums. I should have taken screens of it so it was caught sooner, once that is fixed I'll gladly start using the fix again (my monitor luckily shows 720p nicely, so I can put up with using it temporarily.)

Harlock

I still think that is up to Steam have a more close policy in this things. Changing resolution and full controller support is not rocket science to demand.

stn

What's with all the crashing and stuff? Is this game unplayable for some? Is this happening before or after Durante's patch? I want to buy the game but am scared now.

Nishastra

Banned
Immediately after visiting the art gallery for the first time. York sees the guy with the dog through a window and then crash. Could you maybe upload your savegame somewhere? It's in \Steam\steamapps\common\Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut\savedata Many thanks!
Ah. For me it crashed when trying to enter the gallery the second time, but only once.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4t23lbcr14gxy10

There's my save file. I'm way past that part, but I suppose you can do the start from previous chapter thing.

golem09

Neo Member
Hmm, so the borderless windowed mode crashes for me on startup as well. Is it possible that is crashes for anybody who previously couldn't tab out of the game?

EDIT

Ok, me stupid.
Just gotta set Fullscreen to 0 in the config.cnf for the borderless windowed mode to work.
Too bad borderless windowed disables the magic ALT key.

EDIT2

125MB Deadly Premonition patch. Now let's see what this does.

parabolee

I am getting the car crash bug when playing on my MacPro running Windows 8. It is fine on my PC running Windows 8.1.

EDIT -

I tried a reboot and running in windowed mode without the patch and I was able to drive without it locking up. I believe it was probably just the reboot that fixed it.

Also I noticed that normal mapping is indeed only on without the DPfix just as Nishastra stated. With DPfix it gives the game an almost cell shaded look.

Karak

Are you guys going to post updates in the OP for the Durante fix? I am thinking about checking this out next week.

Mr. Desu

Game is broken, cannot progress. I am the sadface. Was excited at the sign of a patch but all it does are add things that I already have on my computer. GG

Top Bottom