• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

parabolee

Nah he probably auto-follows everyone that follows him. I probably followed him last week when I was tweeting complaints about DP :)

parabolee

I usually run most of my games in windowed mode at 1024 x 600. I'm guessing you can do the same with this?

Yeah you can run it at any resolution you want in windowed mode. Also, sweet Soen avatar, I was listening to them when I first saw your avatar. That was a slightly surreal moment :)

Sorry Off Topic.

What is going on in that video! Why does it sound like that is actually recorded dialogue of someone mumbling! I can't believe it eventually just continues the mission, I expected it to go on forever! LOL

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if the extreme low res pause menu icons bothered anyone else I fixed them:
iJbtdkgYmMaG1.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?i9ccoai19l294mj

Persona7

Banned
Weird...when I select windows 98 compatibility and load my game it now just loads continuously and I have to close the game with the task manager.

Mononoke

Banned
For some reason, my game keeps crashing now.
It's at the scene where you talk to Dianne at the Diner. And then Emily and you decide to meet back up at the diner at 21.00 (she won't talk to you until after the Diner closes).
But every time the cut scene ends, it automatically crashes my game.

I'm going to try to remove the DP fix now, and see if it still does it. If not, then I guess I'm fucked and my save just randomly got corrupted. :(

EDIT: I had this problem last weekend before I was busy with work all week (haven't played in like 5 days). I just figured it was the last DP Fix. I updated to the latest, and the crash still happens.

Also, I just removed the DP FIx and it's crashing. WTF :( It's always at that cut scene. And yes, I've already reset my computer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
For some reason, my game keeps crashing now.
It's at the scene where you talk to Dianne at the Diner. And then Emily and you decide to meet back up at the diner at 21.00 (she won't talk to you until after the Diner closes).
But every time the cut scene ends, it automatically crashes my game.

I'm going to try to remove the DP fix now, and see if it still does it. If not, then I guess I'm fucked and my save just randomly got corrupted. :(

EDIT: I had this problem last weekend before I was busy with work all week (haven't played in like 5 days). I just figured it was the last DP Fix. I updated to the latest, and the crash still happens.

Also, I just removed the DP FIx and it's crashing. WTF :( It's always at that cut scene. And yes, I've already reset my computer.
Do you have the game and launcher exe set to Windows 98 compatibility?

Great work! This and the font texture are things I'll actually use :p

Yeah, right now I'm just prioritizing things that bother me personally. Trying to see if I can reproduce the life/stamina bar HUD successfully while I do the rest of the menu text.

Mononoke

Banned
Do you have the game and launcher exe set to Windows 98 compatibility?

Yeah, right now I'm just prioritizing things that bother me personally. Trying to see if I can reproduce the life/stamina bar HUD successfully while I do the rest of the menu text.

I do not. Let me try that now. I'll feel really dumb if that solves it, since I had seen people talking about it before. I haven't had to run it in that mode up to this point, made it into Chapter 2, then randomly this crash.

EDIT: You are awesome. Thank you so much! This fixed my issue instantly. So happy right now. :)

Guri

I'm very interested to know why Windows 98 compatibility mode is solving issues. I mean, maybe Windows 7, Vista... even XP! But 98?!

DMiz

I'm very interested to know why Windows 98 compatibility mode is solving issues. I mean, maybe Windows 7, Vista... even XP! But 98?!

Same thing is necessary when running Pscyhonauts on Steam as well, so it's definitely not the only game that does that.

There are probably more development studios still using Windows 98 than we believe...

I do not. Let me try that now. I'll feel really dumb if that solves it, since I had seen people talking about it before. I haven't had to run it in that mode up to this point, made it into Chapter 2, then randomly this crash.

EDIT: You are awesome. Thank you so much! This fixed my issue instantly. So happy right now. :)

I just encountered this crash too, so I'm glad to see this works.

Finally got around to properly playing the game with all the ingame high res font mods and controller icon/mapping mods.

Booted up the game and found the framerate and responsiveness all jerky. A reboot fixed it as usual. Also set the compat mode to Windows 98 as per the recommendations of Durante and others.

The game runs brilliantly even on my old ass Core 2 Duo laptop, it actually performs better than Dark Souls and I can run it at my screen's native 1920x1080p rendering resolution with decent FPS (35+) as compared to Dark Souls which has to be toned down to 1600x900p for a steady 35-40 FPS.

Thanks again to Durante (DPfix), parabolee (excellent controller profiles and button replacements), and InfiniteNine (font and icon mods) for making this game the best version yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'd love a version that looks like the original 360 one. It's one of the few things that was better in the 360 version IMO. The DC one is too busy.

Yeah I plan on it after I figure out how everything works exactly. It'd probably be faster if someone ripped it from the 360 version though.

I'm no expert but one of these seems to be what you need:

Those look neat, but I'm pretty sure the decay you see there is applied after the fonts are rasterized (notice there is differing decay patterns on different occurrences of the same letter in the original image there).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
These seem pretty close I'm guessing I'm going to have to edit them to be exact after I lay down the text though.
Those look neat, but I'm pretty sure the decay you see there is applied after the fonts are rasterized (notice there is differing decay patterns on different occurrences of the same letter in the original image there).
Yeah, I'm probably going to have to add the decay manually to a similar font.

Foaloal

For some reason, Xpadder won't work inside of Deadly Premonition for me.

If you run DP as admin (or in compatibility mode) you'll need to run xpadder as admin as well.

The easiest way to do this is just find your xpadder.exe and set it to always run as admin.

edit: PS I'm working on finishing textures for most/all the products on the Milk Barn shelves, as well as any other Milk Barn texture I can make into something higher res.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but by running the game in windowed and deleting all the tex_dump files right before I go into the milk barn I was able to easily accomplish the goal of just saving the milk barn textures.

Then, using photoshop/etc. I batch converted all the .tga files into .jpg so I could easily view/sort them in windows explorer.

That might just be common sense to everyone else, but it took me a whole day to come up with it.

parabolee

If you run DP as admin (or in compatibility mode) you'll need to run xpadder as admin as well.

The easiest way to do this is just find your xpadder.exe and set it to always run as admin.

edit: PS I'm working on finishing textures for most/all the products on the Milk Barn shelves, as well as any other Milk Barn texture I can make into something higher res.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but by running the game in windowed and deleting all the tex_dump files right before I go into the milk barn I was able to easily accomplish the goal of just saving the milk barn textures.

Then, using photoshop/etc. I batch converted all the .tga files into .jpg so I could easily view/sort them in windows explorer.

That might just be common sense to everyone else, but it took me a whole day to come up with it.

Good thinking! That is a great tip for when I get around to making some textures!

Durante

screenshot_2013-11-078gu06.jpg

Looking sharp there York. Release later today if nothing happens, with the new shadow and reflection improvement options.

Good news!! -

RSGtweet.PNG
That fits with my suggestion to them (well, my second suggestion, the first was "give me the code and I fix everything", but that was mostly joking ;)). They fix controller support (and crashes and the audio mix), people who care about graphics install DPfix, everyone is happy.

Looking sharp there York. Release later today if nothing happens, with the new shadow and reflection improvement options.

That fits with my suggestion to them (well, my second suggestion, the first was "give me the code and I fix everything", but that was mostly joking ;)). They fix controller support (and crashes and the audio mix), people who care about graphics install DPfix, everyone is happy.

Thanks Durante. The game is getting near a state where I can actually buy it.

http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2013-11-078gu06.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Great stuff mate, you're really amping up your game for this game, I don't think you even had to go this far for Dark Souls interms of the reflections and shadow maps.

Persona7

Banned

the reflection on the left side is so funny to me

parabolee

WOW, more incredible work! The mirror is nice but the enhanced shading is killer!

You freaking rock dude! Hope they get this controller fix out before I've finished the game and moved on to PS4 games! LOL.

Although I know I'll always come back to Deadly premonition from time to time. Especially when we have an incredible HD textures pack!

Durante

Heh, every time I think I've found a bug with the shadowing improvements (e.g. shadow flickering, strange shadows, some things not casting shadows which obviously should) it's exactly the same when I remove DPfix. Just much lower resolution and with even more shadow flickering/aliasing/horribleness.

Top Bottom