• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

I also thought it was worth mentioning that this game is compatible with the 4GB Large Address Aware patch. (Which you can get here)

Generally, Steam throws an error when you try to patch executables, but since this game has a launcher, Steam only verifies that the launcher hasn't been modified, not the actual game .exe itself.

Since a lot of the random crashes in this come from a pretty major memory leak, you can buy yourself some extra time between crashes by using the 4GB patcher (for me, it went from about every 90 minutes to just shy of 3 hours -- almost double).

It may increase performance, too, but since I didn't do any testing before and after, I can't really claim that it does. :p

Xanathus

Has anyone else encountered a reproducible crash at the gas station? It happens after I'm done buying fuel/washing car/bribing and it plays the scene of the guy/girl walking back into the station. The game hangs after the intro splash screens if I use any of the compatibility modes, and disabling DPfix doesn't change anything. I've also tried restarting my PC.

edit: great it's also crashing after I talk to the General, looks like my progress in this game is over

Parsnip

Every time this thread updates I'm secretly hoping that there's been a surprise patch that attempts to fix some of the crashes. And then I get really sad when it's just more people having problems with those crashes.

I'm having a problem with running this game on compatibility mode. Any time I switch to compatibility, the entire game lags like shit to the point where it's unplayable.

For some reason, there's a lot of really terrible aliasing and shimmering, even though I'm using DPFix, with SMAA set to 4. It's especially obvious when running to Greenvale at the start, with all the trees in the background shimmering like crazy. Anyone know how to fix this? For what it's worth, my Nvidia Control Panel settings are set to enhance the AA.

For some reason, there's a lot of really terrible aliasing and shimmering, even though I'm using DPFix, with SMAA set to 4. It's especially obvious when running to Greenvale at the start, with all the trees in the background shimmering like crazy. Anyone know how to fix this? For what it's worth, my Nvidia Control Panel settings are set to enhance the AA.

I'd disable the enhanced AA, even though that may not be the problem. Honestly, I had my AA set to something below the max DPFix could do, and instead rendered it at 1.5x the resolution and downscaled it to 1080p. Pretty much eliminated all aliasing.

As for your problem, if disabling enhanced AA didn't fix it, you can try DPFix 0.9.1. Some people have problems running DPFix 0.9.5, and 0.9.1 usually works in its place. (Although you lose the things that 0.9.5 fixed -- but at least the game's playable!)

I'd disable the enhanced AA, even though that may not be the problem. Honestly, I had my AA set to something below the max DPFix could do, and instead rendered it at 1.5x the resolution and downscaled it to 1080p. Pretty much eliminated all aliasing.

As for your problem, if disabling enhanced AA didn't fix it, you can try DPFix 0.9.1. Some people have problems running DPFix 0.9.5, and 0.9.1 usually works in its place. (Although you lose the things that 0.9.5 fixed -- but at least the game's playable!)

NVM, fixed it, turns out it was the Ambient Occlusion. Setting it to VSSAO instead of VSSAO2 fixed the dithering.

Sky Chief

I'm confused. I downloaded DPfix 0.9.5 and it runs at 1440x3440 but the controller (DS4 w/ DS4Tool) and keyboard won't work (keyboard works in menu but does nothing in game). I have tried running it in compatibility mode and the controller buttons work but the D-pad and analogues do not. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do? Will 0.9.1 work and how do I switch to that version?

daycru

I can't believe how bad this port is. I mean, I knew it was bad. But holy shit. Have tried 3 different versions of the big 1080p/60 patch. Works great for about 10 minutes, then I get gradual frame drops, until it hits the teens. It's not related to tons of stuff going on screen. this happens on the map in the pause screen, as it does doing anything. Have tried every fix I could find online. Windows 98 mode, admin mode, setting it to use over 2GB of RAM, etc.

Tried vanilla ass DP, but couldn't get it to work in full screen. It launched a full black screen, but still only had picture in area it would be if it were windowed. A very frustrating day, lots of rebooting.

Game is fun when it works.

Windows 8.1
i7
gtx 760
16gb RAM

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
If anyone experiencing crashes also happens to use BitDefender, that might be the culprit. I didn't extensively test this, and I can only really speak to my version (BitDefender Internet Security 2014), but disabling 'Active Virus Control' in Antivirus settings prior to playing the game seems to have stopped the frequent crashes. I had tried all the other fixes people had recommended, and only thought of doing this due to similar problems with Red Faction Guerilla, which would only launch if I disabled my security. I have no other problems like this with other games.

9059F041688F1C64D459770AB13698B1088D9E07

i 100%ed the game

how does a guy apply the DP fix properly now?

Just unzip it and place it in the directory of the game, restart your computer and just play it like normal, right.

Then upon startup you should be able to pick your resolution at the launcher?

how does a guy apply the DP fix properly now?

Just unzip it and place it in the directory of the game, restart your computer and just play it like normal, right.

Then upon startup you should be able to pick your resolution at the launcher?

You set up your resolution in the .ini file that's included with DPFix. You'll have to open it with a text editor and change it to what you want. This is also what allows you to supersample (set the rendering resolution to something higher than the display resolution).

Has anyone heard of or came across a bug that severely limits vertical aiming? Because i can't seem to find any fix that works. It's literally preventing from progressing any further in the story.

Has anyone heard of or came across a bug that severely limits vertical aiming? Because i can't seem to find any fix that works. It's literally preventing from progressing any further in the story.

It's one of "those" bugs. Either you have it or you don't.

I had it, and successfully completed the game with it. You get used to it after a while, and it isn't as limiting as it first seems. I don't remember any part of the story that I had issues with, except for getting things out of trees. If that's where you're stuck, hitting the trees with a melee weapon will generally dislodge items, or backing up so you can shoot them are two options.

I seem to be running into a problem with this game. Everytime I try to run the game it just crashes right at the start up and was wondering if there was anything I can do? I tried some of the stuff suggested on the OP but it still crashes.

I seem to be running into a problem with this game. Everytime I try to run the game it just crashes right at the start up and was wondering if there was anything I can do? I tried some of the stuff suggested on the OP but it still crashes.

Is your DPFix set to windowed? If you use borderless fullscreen, the game must be windowed in the settings or was it fullscreen? Anyway, the settings should match otherwise the game will crash at start up.

Is your DPFix set to windowed? If you use borderless fullscreen, the game must be windowed in the settings or was it fullscreen? Anyway, the settings should match otherwise the game will crash at start up.

Where do you check this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.
EDIT EDIT: Nope, still crashes

SOLDIER

Tried the game the other day, and I still have that problem where mapping shoot to the RT button on my 360 pad has him holster the gun instead of firing it. Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

ph00p

Banned
Did they ever fix the screeching noise in rear channels when playing it with a 5.1 system? I know you can change your system setting to stereo, but thats annoying everytime I want to play it.

biosquid2

Neo Member
Did they ever fix the screeching noise in rear channels when playing it with a 5.1 system? I know you can change your system setting to stereo, but thats annoying everytime I want to play it.

Setting your system to stereo is the only solution I know of.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Where do you check this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.
EDIT EDIT: Nope, still crashes

This might be a solution you already tried, but have you tried starting it from the game exe in the install folder, rather than the launcher exe (ie. the steam shortcut)?

Aizo

Banned
Eeesh. Tried to start this up for the first time for a study break, but the study break has just turned into troubleshooting. Not very relaxing.

It failed on startup the first few times, so I got the patches, updated PhysX, ran in compatibility mode, ran the launcher as an admin, disabled fullscreen, and was able to make it through the first cutscene. Then, it crashed again. I can't get it past there. Trying different things leads to a crash before the logos, usually. I run directly from the .exe, and that always leads to failure. I've restarted once, and that didn't help. Maybe I'll restart again...

I've heard that Media player classic and LAV filters can cause it to crash, too? I'm not going to delete MPC with all my filters which took me hours to setup correctly last time... Pretty painful experience with this game on PC so far.

sunlapse

Neo Member
Trying to get this to work well and not having much luck despite trying most of the troubleshooting pointers in OP. Basically the game crashes sooner or later in anything but Win98 compatibility mode, but Win98 compatibility mode has terrible plummeting framerate issues which aren't solved by rebooting. Any ideas?

It's a great game though. Last game I finished in a year. Granted I'm more of a tweaker than a gamer. But this game had a real charm, a personality that I won't forget.

I got this in the recent Steam Summer Sale and from reading some posts here, I can see I got relatively lucky, it didn't work at first so I used the PhysX fix and it always launched perfectly subsequently with Durante's fix too.

There were only about 6 crashes in total, most during cutscenes, but other than that I was able to complete the game and didn't need to change any compatablilty, running it with Windows 7 64bit. A wired 360 controller also worked fine throughout.

It's kind of a bittersweet experience, because the game is somewhat of a mess, but is also a memorable and unique experience with surprising depth and charm.

I hope people have luck getting this to work, if you use Nvidia, as a last resort you could try reinstall your graphics drivers via the custom option as a clean install - I've fixed many varying gaming issues doing that.

Aizo

Banned
OP updated once again with even more troubleshooting options.

In addition to my methods listed at the top of the page, I've now re-installed the game, I did a clean install of physx, tried putting the physx file in the game's main directory... I still can't get past the initial logos.

Parsnip

Installed DP today, figured I'd finally play the pc version.
It's kind of funny that the game does its first time install that includes Physx, but the first thing I needed to do to actually get the game running was to repair the install after the fact. Just, man.

Unfortunately still getting the light flickering bug with the dpfix095, so I guess I'll use 091 instead.

Parsnip

Unfortunately still getting the light flickering bug with the dpfix095, so I guess I'll use 091 instead.
I should have checked the OP more carefully, using the Win98 compatibility mode on dp.exe does indeed get rid of the light flicker bug with 0.9.5.

Aizo

Banned
I really wanted to play this for Halloween. It's a shame that I still can't get it to run at all on PC.

Top Bottom