• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Thrakier

Ok, I got these issues which the tips in the OP don't help with.

1.) Scrolling is super stuttery, even with forced vsync
2.) Overlay isn't shown, I can't see my frames
3.) Switching from fullscreen to window and back crashes the game
4.) Chossing window mode in the beginning crashes the game

Clues?

EDIT:

Here, I made a video of the stutter - is that normal? It's stable 60FPS, mind you!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ldoukRSBQ&feature=youtu.be

Deadly Premonition was at a ridiculously low $2.49 on STEAM so I had to get the game with the DPfix and what a blessing it was. Thanks Durante.

However, I noticed that my game freezes every time I activate the mission prompt on the map menu. What's up with that? Any solutions?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I really wanted to play this for Halloween. It's a shame that I still can't get it to run at all on PC.

A bit late on the reply, but I needed to install the PhysX pack in the OP and open the game twice to avoid crashing.

To fix it not going fullscreen, I had to use the game launcher, and enable windowed, then run the game, then use the launcher again disable windowed then it finally went fullscreen with 98 compatibility enabled.

Edit: You have to try things that don't typically make sense to get this game to work properly, lol.

Struggling to make this work...

I put the durante files in the folder, but it was clearly not working nor even launching in fullscreen. I was originally launching from the folder itself, from the launcher and just the exe itself. Neither was working so I tried to launch from steam and now it crashes immediately, still not going to full screen.

Starting to regret this purchase even if it only cost like 2.50.

edit:
I seemed to get it working somehow...

Sucks that this game remained a mess post-release. I also had a painful experience with it. One of the only PC games in the last 10 years to give me this kind of grief.

I think it's the first PC game where I just said fuck it gave up.

I might pick up the console version used at CeX or or something.

Mohasus

Ok, I got these issues which the tips in the OP don't help with.

1.) Scrolling is super stuttery, even with forced vsync
2.) Overlay isn't shown, I can't see my frames
3.) Switching from fullscreen to window and back crashes the game
4.) Chossing window mode in the beginning crashes the game

Clues?

EDIT:

Here, I made a video of the stutter - is that normal? It's stable 60FPS, mind you!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ldoukRSBQ&feature=youtu.be

Overlay isn't shown in win98 compatibility mode.

Game is pretty smooth for me. So far no crashes (after reinstalled PhysX), but I've only played for an hour.

I think it's the first PC game where I just said fuck it gave up.

I might pick up the console version used at CeX or or something.
It really is...something else. I don't think I've ever restarted a computer as many times as I've had to when playing this game. I'm glad I managed to power through it somehow, though, because it was worth it in the end (for me).

Shane

Wanted to pop in and say thanks for the DSFix.

The game would crash at launch but I fixed that by repairing the PhysX_SystemSoftware file in the redist folder.

I originally played this on 360. The best game of the last generation. Utterly wonderful.

The Director's Cut adds a new opening that provides more information to those that completed it.

Mohasus

I decided to take a look at the achievements and realized I only have one (prologue cleared).

Do I need to complete the side missions to unlock the "EPISODE X CLEARED"? I'm on chapter 6.

Parsnip

I decided to take a look at the achievements and realized I only have one (prologue cleared).

Do I need to complete the side missions to unlock the "EPISODE X CLEARED"? I'm on chapter 6.

Nope, you don't need side missions for episode cleared achievements.
Chapter 6 is still in the first "episode". If I remember right, prologue is chapter 0, episode 1 is chapters 1-7. And so on.

Robot Pants

Can't get this to consistently work.
Got Durante fix working, but can't press a button during the logos otherwise it locks up. Can't use the launcher to play the game, it'll freeze. Have to open the game folder and use the exe. Have the exe and the launcher running in Win98 mode.
Things go ok for a while but it's the loading screens. Got past the cutscene where York crashes then it just sits on the loading screen forever. Any thoughts?

This game man v_v

Been enjoying it greatly and I only just finished chapter 3.. now whenever i want to continue with chapter 4 I get a black screen after it finishes loading.. ugh

MadSexual

Anyone have any tips for uninstalling PhysX completely? I'm at a consistent crash point in Episode 2 (right after leaving the diner) and I get the DP.exe error. I had done the redist PhysX installer fix before and it seemed to work, but now Nvidia won't let me install an older version in place of the existing one. I tried uninstalling the driver, deleting the associated Program Files folder and doing a registry clean, but it's still on there. Even reverting to the legacy driver failed to fix the issue.

Just when I was really getting into this game too. =(

ShadowNate

Looks like another modder is having a go at Deadly Premonition, aiming to make it a harder experience (removing some UI hints) and also restore the colors of the original Xbox version among other stuff. The mod seems to be called "Immersive premonition".

For the moment he has provided only images with the results of his work. The mod is yet to be finalized. Here is his thread on the Steam forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/247660/discussions/0/613940477956873544/

He does mention that he will make it so that the UI changes will be easy to be skipped so as to keep only the color / graphic improvements.

Piano

Banned
So is there any help with the framerate dropping over time while playing, other than having to quit the game and restart my PC once an hour?

The game doesn't even quit correctly. It hangs going back to the title screen and I have to CRTL+ALT+DEL it every time.

When is this game supposed to get good? I was in the lumbermill but I'm not feeling it so far.

It might take a while to grab you, but I'd say it's totally worth it to venture further. No wait, it's mandatory. It's hard to say exactly when, but the real beef starts happening after the lumbermill.

Closer Two

When is this game supposed to get good? I was in the lumbermill but I'm not feeling it so far.

If it hasn't charmed you by then I wouldn't keep playing it. You'll be waiting for it to "get good" but no change will happen. Do you find the character's interacting fun? What do you think of the main character?

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
The lumbermill is where my repeat playthroughs usually go to die. At least you can speed through it pretty easily once you know where you need to go, but it's still boring and ugly and has the awful chase scenes.

I've had this game in my steam since it was 2.49 on sale a few months back. I've hold off from playing it anymore up until i finish Twin Peaks. But since its on ps+ now i'm thinking of playing it there. Laying in my bed playing this feels like it would be alot more comfortable. But 720p and shit framerate :( I wanna play it looking at its best at the same time.

What to dooo

epmode

I was set on playing the PS3 version so that I didn't have to worry about the quirks of a shitty PC port. ..then I played the PS3 version. The framerate is astonishingly bad. I don't think I can handle it.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
I did plat the PS3 version, but yeah, the framerate gets really rough and if I wasn't a dumb fanboy of this game I wouldn't have bothered.

The 360 version is the best as far as I'm concerned. It has none of the crap you have to deal with in the PC version, runs at a decent clip and doesn't have any of those pointless cutscenes they put in Director's Cut. The graphics also look a lot less washed out (and some effects actually look better), even if the reddish hue in the overworld is a bit much at times. The controls are clunkier, but nothing too bad by survival horror standards. I should get around to finishing my Hard playthrough... (you'll never guess which part of the game I stopped at)

Parsnip

I got 1000G on the 360 version, and despite the awful performance, at least it didn't crash a single time for me.

The state they left the PC version will forever sadden me.

epmode

The 360 version is the best as far as I'm concerned. It has none of the crap you have to deal with in the PC version, runs at a decent clip and doesn't have any of those pointless cutscenes they put in Director's Cut. The graphics also look a lot less washed out (and some effects actually look better), even if the reddish hue in the overworld is a bit much at times. The controls are clunkier, but nothing too bad by survival horror standards. I should get around to finishing my Hard playthrough... (you'll never guess which part of the game I stopped at)

I'd love to play this version but I only have a J360 and I'm 90% sure MS won't let me buy the digital version.

M3d10n

I'd rather people mod the game into actually working. I can't get past the intro. If Valve had a refund policy like Apple does the game would either get patched already or pulled form the store due to the amount of refunds.

elohel

Why have so many developers recently had so many issues with porting games or resolutions getting locked?

experience issue or just a decision to make porting easier?

Piano

Banned
The lumbermill is probably the worst part of the game.

Great. Just got my first mid-game crash and lost 20 minutes of progress in the lumbermill.
Worst part is not knowing whether the game will crash again in the same spot (taking the elevator) if I replay those 20 minutes.

Only one way to find out, I guess.

epmode

Why have so many developers recently had so many issues with porting games or resolutions getting locked?

experience issue or just a decision to make porting easier?

It's mostly Japanese developers with little to no experience with PC ports. They often don't know what people expect on the platform.

While I'm not a developer, enough have posted on on GAF for me to know that providing support for arbitrary resolutions in a modern 3D game is usually trivial. The only thing that might be a problem is the UI which may not scale up very nicely.

s_mirage

It's mostly Japanese developers with little to no experience with PC ports. They often don't know what people expect on the platform.

I'd let them have that as an excuse for some games but this one is just broken. As much as I love the game, the PC version never reached a state where it was fit for release IMO. It's not just glitchy, it will eventually crash on any PC configuration you can throw at it. It's such a shame too because it's one of my favourite games, but it sure does get tedious trying to work around crashing points.

epmode

I'm not excusing a shit port, just providing a reason. It's either inexperience and a short timetable or they hate us and want us to be miserable.

Nishastra

Banned
I just think it was a miracle to get a port of this game at all. It was never a good game from a technical standpoint, so I didn't expect it to suddenly become one on being ported.

Top Bottom