• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
It was never a technical masterpiece, but at least it ran okay (on the 360 anyway) and didn't crash every time you looked at it wrong.

Thrakier

If it hasn't charmed you by then I wouldn't keep playing it. You'll be waiting for it to "get good" but no change will happen. Do you find the character's interacting fun? What do you think of the main character?

The main character is a fucking cool dude. I love him. Still the game build around is bad as fuck.

I dunno why, but with all the compatibility mode options, with or without DPFix, I can't even launch this on my new build. I'd only made it to the end of the first chapter, was really looking forward to playing it all the way through too :(

Thrakier

God damn, it's not only the game runs and plays like shit, the crashes make it feel like a waste of time to play the game, because every now and then you just loose 15 to 60 minutes and the game just wants to make you play through the same shit again. It's the real horror. The only redeeming thing so far is the main character, everything else is utter (!!!) garbage.

Vlodril

wanted to ask the double alt to quicken the loading times doesn't seem to work in full screen and when i use borderless the game crashes. any ideas how i can fix that and not wait 30-40 seconds each time?

wanted to ask the double alt to quicken the loading times doesn't seem to work in full screen and when i use borderless the game crashes. any ideas how i can fix that and not wait 30-40 seconds each time?

The loading should be fixed in the patch, are you sure you are using the newest version?

Vlodril

yea maybe it was a bad load or something. i'll see after i put more time in it. i have the usual compatibility stuff on.

Vlodril

double post (i guess noone posted anything in this thread for quite some time wow).

I managed to play most of the game despite the frequent ctd's (couldn't get more than one hour at most without the game ctd). Problem is i hit a ctd i can't past.

I am at episode 5 chapter 24 and i just can't pass the cut scene in front of george's house. i restarted , let time pass and save (a suggestion from the steam forums) but nothing.

I have most if not all of the mods from the op and i am at a loss what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated (i would really really like to finish this game after going to all this trouble).

Vlodril

so the PC version still crashes all the time?

and you always lose some progress?

pretty much. there is no manual save and it autosaves rarely so you are kinda screwed. Horrible port doesn't even begin to cover it (i am assuming it wasn't that broken on the consoles but who knows).

Parsnip

It wasn't a technical marvel on 360 either (heard some things about the PS3 port though, and this PC version is based on that) but at least that version didn't crash on me once. The framerate was terrible at points and the controls were awful, but at least I could finish the game.

My rule of thumb for the PC version is, whenever you see a phone, save. Even if you saved like 5 minutes ago, always be saving. :p

kiyoaki

I'm playing through the PS3 Director's Cut version right now, and am 20 hours into the game. The game looks ugly and has frame rate issues, but hasn't crashed on me once. I haven't noticed any bugs either.

It's also a really interesting game, and perhaps the closest thing in gaming to a David Lynch film we'll ever have.

Vlodril

Indeed. It is a testament of how good i find the game that i have put with so much to try to get through it. I am not a huge fan of the gameplay either but the characters and story are just fantastic. I am really annoyed i have come so close to the end (presumably) and be stuck.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm playing through the PS3 Director's Cut version right now, and am 20 hours into the game. The game looks ugly and has frame rate issues, but hasn't crashed on me once. I haven't noticed any bugs either.

It's also a really interesting game, and perhaps the closest thing in gaming to a David Lynch film we'll ever have.

How bad are these frame rate issues ? 360 version played fine enough normally, but dropped down to just about single digits in the 'split screen' segments.

kiyoaki

Yeah, the split screen scenes are the worst, they get awfully choppy. For the rest of the game, it's all over the board. Personally, I don't mind it too much, but I'm also one those persons who have a hard time noticing the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I'd rather have better textures than a better frame rate, the way it is it looks more like a PS2 game than a PS3 one.

Still worth playing for the characters, the story, the world building, the soundtrack and the overall atmosphere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, the split screen scenes are the worst, they get awfully choppy. For the rest of the game, it's all over the board. Personally, I don't mind it too much, but I'm also one those persons who have a hard time noticing the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I'd rather have better textures than a better frame rate, the way it is it looks more like a PS2 game than a PS3 one.

Still worth playing for the characters, the story, the world building, the soundtrack and the overall atmosphere.

Believe it or not, as ugly as you're finding the game now, there's aspects of it that were greatly improved over the 360 version lol.

Here's some comparison shots courtesy of the awesome "Welcome to Greenvale" fan-site's review.

s_mirage

pretty much. there is no manual save and it autosaves rarely so you are kinda screwed. Horrible port doesn't even begin to cover it (i am assuming it wasn't that broken on the consoles but who knows).

There are manual saves, you just have to use the telephones. As Parsnip said, a good rule of thumb is to save whenever you get the chance because there are save points very near to some common crash locations.

If you get repeatedly stuck with a crash at a certain point, smoking to fast forward the time a bit usually helps.

Vlodril

There are manual saves, you just have to use the telephones. As Parsnip said, a good rule of thumb is to save whenever you get the chance because there are save points very near to some common crash locations.

If you get repeatedly stuck with a crash at a certain point, smoking to fast forward the time a bit usually helps.

i know there are manual saves as i said i am at episode 5 chapter 24. i did try smoking to pass the day but nope game still crashes outside of george's house.

Gambit61

i know there are manual saves as i said i am at episode 5 chapter 24. i did try smoking to pass the day but nope game still crashes outside of george's house.

The same thing happened to me. I had to find someone's completed save to actually get to the ending.

indy14

Neo Member
Currently at chapter 3 and really enjoying it though i've noticed that the longer i play the more the average frame rate drops.

Is this a common issue?

It'll start at 144Hz, and 20mins later i'll be playing at 10-25fps.

I'm using the current Nvidia (GTA 5) driver, maybe reverting back will help...?

Currently at chapter 3 and really enjoying it though i've noticed that the longer i play the more the average frame rate drops.

Is this a common issue?

If you haven't done the memory patch (to allow the game to use more RAM) that would mostly likely help. The game has some pretty bad memory leaks (which also lead to the crashes the longer you play), so allocating it more RAM will buy you more time, at the very least.

Corpekata

Banned

Is this a common issue?

It's a common issue even with all the fixes. Will steadily drop down.

indy14

Neo Member
If you haven't done the memory patch (to allow the game to use more RAM) that would mostly likely help. The game has some pretty bad memory leaks (which also lead to the crashes the longer you play), so allocating it more RAM will buy you more time, at the very least.

I can't seem to find anything about this 'memory patch'?

indy14

Neo Member
Thanks for that. I've used the patch but i still have the same issues, but that's OK, I don't mind restarting every hour or so.

Has anybody got DPfix working with SweetFX at a custom resolution? I'm playing at 25x14.

Whenever i launch the game with SweetFX it launches at 720p (pre DPfix settings).

I assume it has something to do with SweetFX using it's own d3d9.dll file?

Xiraiya

Just booted this up, I'm honestly surprised that the game runs at 60 for me with AA and AF loaded onto it, I expected it to run like shit since people were complaining about it.

epmode

Just booted this up, I'm honestly surprised that the game runs at 60 for me with AA and AF loaded onto it, I expected it to run like shit since people were complaining about it.

It's not the framerate, it's the other bugs. Lots of crashing, for example.

Xiraiya

Has there been any tools put out that make messing with some of the games files a little easier?

I've been thinking that making enemies more prone to dying immediately on headshots and so on would make combat sections less tedious, and editing the handling of cars so they have something resembling turning ability would make driving around town a little more practical in general.

(Also uncapping the weird speed limiter on cars that seems broken would be nice)

holygeesus

Banned
Were the random crashes ever fixed, or solved by the community, in this?

I presumed they were, until I reached 1-6 I was having zero problems at all, but now the game seems to be crashing a fair bit.

Was the lumber mill notorious for crashes? I presume because it is the first pretty long chapter, there are more chances of it happening.

Was the lumber mill notorious for crashes? I presume because it is the first pretty long chapter, there are more chances of it happening.

The lumber mill was really the only area that I had issues with. I got a couple crashes in there, and the save points were fairly far apart.

If you haven't already, give the 4GB memory patcher a shot, as that'll double the amount of memory the game can use. After I did that I didn't really have any issues with crashes as long as I didn't play for longer than a couple hours (due to the memory leak).

holygeesus

Banned
Thanks a lot. Stupidly I didn't read the last few pages back where recent posts have discussed the crashing situation, as I presumed the thread was long dormant. Such a shame they only released the one official patch for this.

Dsyndrome

I've been tinkering around with DPfix and trying to lock in 60FPS. The game starts off at 60FPS when the Steam Overlay kicks on, then as soon as the first graphic occurs in the opening credits, the FPS drops to 45. This occurs regardless of whether the games running at 1080P or 720P. Tried changing AA level and shadows, as well as texture overriding, nothing changed, still drops to 45FPS and never exceeds that ingame.

I'm running with a GTX 980M that has Witcher 3 ~55-60FPS, so at a loss for what may be causing the FPS drop for Deadly Premonition. Any ideas?

Edit: Changing compatibility to Windows 7 shot it up to 60FPS. Setting comp. to Win. 98 makes it worse than PS3. Why does that have so much of an effect on FPS?

indy14

Neo Member
So i've come back to this game and i now have DPfix working with SweetFX...

Only problem is the controller only works in Win98 mode and the above config doesn't work in that mode...

The start/select/use buttons work, but i just can't move around without Win98 compatibility selected.

Anybody had this issue/ found a fix?

gelf

I still after many months have never been able to fix the framerate juddering in or out of cutscenes. I would give up any other enhancement just to stop it from making me feel ill when I try to play it. I keep coming back hoping some new fix has been found but nope nothing works.

No amount of restarts, mods, compatiblity mode work for me. One time in game seemed smooth and it was back to being slow the next time I loaded it up. I'm usually low framrate tolerant and accepting of most so called "bad" PC ports. I think un DSfix-ed Dark Souls is fine but this game has been an atrocious experience.

No amount of restarts, mods, compatiblity mode work for me. One time in game seemed smooth and it was back to being slow the next time I loaded it up. I'm usually low framrate tolerant and accepting of most so called "bad" PC ports. I think un DSfix-ed Dark Souls is fine but this game has been an atrocious experience.

Well, to be fair, there's only one thing Dark Souls port was bad at: the GFWL. Otherwise, while lacking in features, it is still the best vanilla version of the game.

Top Bottom