• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The only really potentially problematic area of PC game development is maintaining compatibility between hardware configurations. That has nothing to do with adding a resolution option. Either they're being very lazy or whoever ported it has taken the instructions to port it extremely literally.

Well they added proper kb+m controls with prompts updated to whatever keys you configure it to so they put in a good effort for their first PC port.

Wut? It's different to develop for, but if anything it's an easier platform to program for.

You think so? An open environment with thousands of different hardware configurations vs a closed box?

There is a reason the West started stomping the shit out of Eastern devs around the time the Xbox came out. It was because all of those Western developers who cut their teeth making games for PC started moving over to console gaming. The East is only just now starting to catch up. And only the bigger developers at that. Outside of the MGS games and Capcoms brilliant MTFramework engine the east has been almost completely outclassed even by mid tier western devs.

Arthea

You think so? An open environment with thousands of different hardware configurations vs a closed box?

There is a reason the West started stomping the shit out of Eastern devs around the time the Xbox came out. It was because all of those Western developers who cut their teeth making games for PC started moving over to console gaming. The East is only just now starting to catch up. And only the bigger developers at that. Outside of the MGS games and Capcoms brilliant MTFramework engine the east has been almost completely outclassed even by mid tier western devs.

I wouldn't go that far if I were you. Outclassed in which way? Because if we talk gameplay, then big fat no.

lexi

Banned
It's a talent problem. PC gaming is much more difficult to program for. Most of these companies in the East are struggling, and failing, to keep up with the west even in console development.

This excuse is no longer valid in a post-DSfix world. Durante is awesome but he's not some Alan Turing-like super genius.

epmode

I should be able to fix this.

Bless you.

Are these developers unaware that they can increase the resolution or are they just incompetent? If your game can be fixed relatively quickly by someone with no access to your source code, you really fucked up.

This excuse is no longer valid in a post-DSfix world. Durante is awesome but he's not some Alan Turing-like super genius.

Yeah, but shit. If a fan can change the resolution for free, how come no one from the port-team, who studied IT/programming (I suppose), can do it?

I mean, its not just Dark Souls. Even the HUD-assets from Naruto are still in 720p, while everyone who knows a bit of photoshop could trace them and change the resolution. Or just make new assets.
I mean, fuck. Even I could do it and I wouldnt get paid for that.

It's a straight port™ man

470px-Natalie_Portman%2C_2011.jpg

lexi

Banned
Yeah, but shit. If a fan can change the resolution for free, how come no one from the port-team, who studied IT/programming (I suppose), can do it?

I mean, its not just Dark Souls. Even the HUD-assets from Naruto are still in 720p, while everyone who knows a bit of photoshop could trace them and change the resolution. Or just make new assets.
I mean, fuck. Even I could do it and I wouldnt get paid for that.

It comes down to them not caring at all / putting out the absolute, utter bare minimum. From Software went from releasing an utterly shit port to making PC the lead platform for Dark Souls 2. Did they suddenly become PC experts?

It comes down to them not caring at all / putting out the absolute, utter bare minimum. From Software went from releasing an utterly shit port to making PC the lead platform for Dark Souls 2. Did they suddenly become PC experts?

Maybe another team works on that. I dont know.

Maybe its also that the team who ported it were beginners. I dont know. It still is kinda baffling to see that so many Games that are ported to PC from japanese devs are not that good when it comes to the quality of the port.

I mean Durante can fix the resolution here it seems.
People with PS-skills could have changed the HUD-assets in Naruto easily.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You know what is funny, everybody goes "oh japanese developers" but forget that freaking Capcom made three of the best console ports with DMC4, RE5 and RE6, this is just laziness.

They also made DMC3.

Look, as annoying as these framerate-locked, resolution-locked PC ports are, at least they work. That's better than I can say for a lot of games from all over the globe. And I can't help but shake my head at people who say games like Deadly Premonition or Dark Souls are the worst PC ports of all time when they are perfectly functional on PC, don't have outrageous hardware requirements, faithful to the original game designs, and aren't missing any features from other versions of the game.

Hell, Dark Souls:ptD Edition is the definitive version of the game, even without DSFix, and that doesn't stop people from saying it's the worst PC port of all time, or a bad port of the game.

Pyrrhus

They also made DMC3.

Look, as annoying as these framerate-locked, resolution-locked PC ports are, at least they work. That's better than I can say for a lot of games from all over the globe. And I can't help but shake my head at people who say games like Deadly Premonition or Dark Souls are the worst PC ports of all time when they are perfectly functional on PC, don't have outrageous hardware requirements, faithful to the original game designs, and aren't missing any features from other versions of the game.

Hell, Dark Souls:ptD Edition is the definitive version of the game, even without DSFix, and that doesn't stop people from saying it's the worst PC port of all time, or a bad port of the game.

It's not acceptable to not have resolution support, full stop. It's bush league. Most of the people buying the game are probably double dipping so they can overcome the game's shitty programming with brute force, so not letting them do that is bad form.

Dang it. Welp it's 60fps and apparently the optimization is ok so I'll stick with my preorder. My screen is 1366x768 so I don't know how ass it will look, hoping for a fix soon.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Aww, that's a shame.

I will buy this game, but will probably wait for the first 50% off sale after this. Hopefully this can be resolved by Durante or a.n.other but in 2013 it shouldn't be down to modders to enable resolution changes in a 3D game.

Deadly Premonition is a lot of things, technically competent has never been one of them.

What a beautiful, wildly optimistic world someone has to be living in to have expected otherwise.

Seeing Durante's post made me realize what it must have felt like to be alive when Jesus was around.

Nikoran

Neo Member
It's good to know that Durante will be able to fix it. Regardless, the 720p lock wouldn't have bothered me at all if I'm honest.

feel

Was preparing to post how Durante probably wouldn't have interest in fixing this port and then he shows up with a "I got this" post. So based, much amazing.

Deadly Premonition is a lot of things, technically competent has never been one of them.

What a beautiful, wildly optimistic world someone has to be living in to have expected otherwise.

Seeing Durante's post made me realize what it must have felt like to be alive when Jesus was around.
Holy shit perfect. This quote needs to be part of Durante's tag.

Venfayth

Will make sure I donate some extra money to Durante as he is a vital part of the development team.

Framerate is a thing. But Deadly Premonition with good graphics is not Deadly Premonition.

Viewing shit in high definition does not make it not shit.

That would be CBOAT

Durante

I went home early from work to have a look at this and the game isn't even unlocked yet on Steam for me. Any way to circumvent?

Durante

iceatcs

Finally everyone equal on PC gaming.

*communism mode off*

Well, it's shame but I understand they might not have enough resource to configure for more resolutions support, I assume they are very very small devs team. Good luck them, I might buy one but I believe I have played it before.

Gbraga

Holy shit perfect. This quote needs to be part of Durante's tag.

How so? A link? Or do you mean change it to "Next Gen Jesus"?

EDIT: When I see Durante's posts I always imagine Rules of Nature playing on the background while Durante types.

Durante

Stop with the jesus stuff, at least until I actually fix the game.

It might be that there really are issues with this one which prevent a higher rendering resolution from being implemented. You never know.

Top Bottom