• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Squishy3

Considering the game has always had technical problems, in every iteration.

I'm not defending locking screen ratio or other flaws, but also I can say that DP likely will not be a game for those who can't overlook flaws.

And a many thanks, based Durante.
And the game has flaws in other aspects too other than just technical stuff. Thankfully the game isn't challenging whatsoever so it's not a big deal. It's all part of the Deadly Premonition experience though.

dp_2013_10_29_19_47_4fzbvw.jpg

Main menu and movies are borked, DoF and shadows are still low (unchanged) resolution, but still: 1 hour and 19 minutes after the steam download finished, we have a 2560x1440 render.

Durante doesn't give a eff.

Durante

Ok, videos and menu fixed as far as I can tell!
(If you can call those videos fixed... 1280x720, no AA, animation and assets from the early 00s)

But the real HOLY CRAP moment is the in-game menu. It shows the different options by zooming in on stuff:
dp_2013_10_29_20_33_5m4pe1.jpg

I guess texture modding is needed.

About the game:
I actually find the beginning of the game intriguing. Oh, and the mouse/kb controls work better than unmodded Dark Souls, and you get correct keyboard prompts (in ridiculously incongruous high res no less ;)). It's something at least!
Also, performance is good. Locked 60 FPS at 2560x1440 on my 660ti, <50% GPU usage.

I'll test a bit more and then pack this up as a 0.1 alpha release. It will probably break everything more than 10 minutes in the game, but I do want to get a release out today for broader testing.

Any particular reason why the developer CODING this can't do this? Maybe you could offer your services to future devs.
The developer coding it doesn't need to do the vast majority of these steps. They have the source code and know what the engine does, which are things I have to reverse engineer. They can also simply change what the game does, they don't have to indirectly massage its communication with DIrectX.

Ok, videos and menu fixed as far as I can tell!
(If you can call those videos fixed... 1280x720, no AA, animation and assets from the early 00s)

But the real HOLY CRAP moment is the in-game menu. It shows the different options by zooming in on stuff:
dp_2013_10_29_20_33_5m4pe1.jpg

I guess texture modding is needed.

About the game:
I actually find the beginning of the game intriguing. Oh, and the mouse/kb controls work better than unmodded Dark Souls, and you get correct keyboard prompts (in ridiculously incoherent high res no less ;)). It's something at least!
Also, performance is good. Locked 60 FPS at 2560x1440 on my 660ti, <50% GPU usage.

I'll test a bit more and then pack this up as a 0.1 alpha release. It will probably break everything more than 10 minutes in the game, but I do want to get a release out today for broader testing.

The developer coding it doesn't need to do the vast majority of these steps. They have the source code and know what the engine does, which are things I have to reverse engineer. They can also simply change what the game does, they don't have to indirectly massage its communication with DIrectX.

Are you gonna put in the texturing dumping and loading stuff in this too?

Dolor

1. Check which dll's the game uses, find one suitable for injection.
  2. Replace that dll, inject my code, log all the relevant DirectX calls
  3. Run the game a bit
  4. Browse the log file (with search, it's several 100 MB), try to figure out the relevant calls
  5. Replace those you think affect rendering resolution

At this point you get the totally broken result shown first in this thread. Now you start a loop.
  1. By a combination of log reading, intuition and wild guessing, try to figure out what's wrong.
  2. Adjust the things that need adjusting to fix what presumably went wrong.
  3. Run the game and check if it helped.
  4. If it's still broken, start again at 1.

I'll probably have to continue the loop above for a few hours now.

That is amazing. Well done.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now I fixed the videos and menus but broke the gameplay :p

Now look back at the gameplay fixes, you are on a horse?

I'm sure you'll figure out the way to combine the two. If you do, send that fix to the publisher and see if they'll update it. If not, well... there's "DSFix" so this would be "CoffeeFix?"

feel

Dat Durante magic.

Have been really interested in playing this for the longest time, will buy after a perfect DPfix build is out and someone figures the 360 pad stuff, seems like the kind of game you'd want to chill back with a pad and not kb/m.

Durante

Ok, I have a bug in the game and I'm almost sure it's unrelated to anything my mod is doing. Can anyone confirm?

Basically, whenever there is a menu which has a number of options you can switch between with up/down, it starts to continuously cycle through the options and never stops. I'm used to this from buggy gamepad/joystick handling, but I unplugged all of those and it still happens. Any ideas?

As I said, I'm almost sure it's not my fault, I'm not doing anything with input.

Ok, I have a bug in the game and I'm almost sure it's unrelated to anything my mod is doing. Can anyone confirm?

Basically, whenever there is a menu which has a number of options you can switch between with up/down, it starts to continuously cycle through the options and never stops. I'm used to this from buggy gamepad/joystick handling, but I unplugged all of those and it still happens. Any ideas?

As I said, I'm almost sure it's not my fault, I'm not doing anything with input.

I believe I read someone complaining about this bug on the Steam forums.

Perkel

Banned
Japan Gov should hire Durante and send all Jap games to him to fix them before they will release it on western PC market.

stuminus3

This isn't your doing, it seems to be a common issue.

doomquake

*port of popular cult game comes out*

everyone, "wow its so terrible! such port! developers!"

everyone on neogaf, "oh, this should be fixed by durante he can do it, its just a 30 minute job"

everyone on neogaf, "man this is HORRIBLE! DURANTE!!!!"

*durante is summoned*

durante, "hmm, not sure about this"

everyone on neogaf, "Durante! YAY! he is here we did it! we did it! we will have this game in high res HD in 30 minutes!!!"

durante, "no, this is not true. please dont get excited"

everyone on neogaf, " HE IS DOING IT HE IS PORTING IT!!!! OH man... DURANTE YOU ARE JESUS!"

durante, "GUYS...wait, i don't even have this game. I don.."

everyone on neogaf, "alalalala Praise the great holy lord Durante om om om lalalala"

durante, "GUYS........."

"LALALAlalalalalalalala ommmm ommmmm"

*30 minutes later*

"ok, I made it work, here you go"

everyone
uyiVwVA.gif

Gurvon

Neo Member

Yeah that bug is in the console version as well don't worry about it, keep up the great work man!
I'm double dipping on this baby, the finest work of art this generation of gaming has produced!

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Thank you based Durante!
And oh god, that tag is so good. Kudos to whoever thought that up.

Can't thank you enough, Durante. I've been looking forward to this for months and to hear it runs terribly was so disappointing. Keep up the excellent work.

Arsenic13

If one guy can do what an entire studio didn't, in less than 2 hours after a game released, that studio should feel terrible.

So Durante, you're most def working on a patch for this game?

Top Bottom