• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Zebetite

Banned
I'm glad Durante is working on a res fix but the game runs at like under 10fps in the Red Room. I have an i7 and a 7870 so I'm not entirely sure what's dragging it down. I also scrolled my mouse wheel during gameplay which prompted the weapon wheel to spin infinitely.

Durante you're a fucking miracle worker, I can't express just how much I admire you for your skills and your contribution to PC gaming. :salute:

Jabba

Banned
*port of popular cult game comes out*

everyone, "wow its so terrible! such port! developers!"

everyone on neogaf, "oh, this should be fixed by durante he can do it, its just a 30 minute job"

everyone on neogaf, "man this is HORRIBLE! DURANTE!!!!"

*durante is summoned*

durante, "hmm, not sure about this"

everyone on neogaf, "Durante! YAY! he is here we did it! we did it! we will have this game in high res HD in 30 minutes!!!"

durante, "no, this is not true. please dont get excited"

everyone on neogaf, " HE IS DOING IT HE IS PORTING IT!!!! OH man... DURANTE YOU ARE JESUS!"

durante, "GUYS...wait, i don't even have this game. I don.."

everyone on neogaf, "alalalala Praise the great holy lord Durante om om om lalalala"

durante, "GUYS........."

"LALALAlalalalalalalala ommmm ommmmm"

*30 minutes later*

"ok, I made it work, here you go"

everyone
uyiVwVA.gif

This is great.

*port of popular cult game comes out*

everyone, "wow its so terrible! such port! developers!"

everyone on neogaf, "oh, this should be fixed by durante he can do it, its just a 30 minute job"

everyone on neogaf, "man this is HORRIBLE! DURANTE!!!!"

*durante is summoned*

durante, "hmm, not sure about this"

everyone on neogaf, "Durante! YAY! he is here we did it! we did it! we will have this game in high res HD in 30 minutes!!!"

durante, "no, this is not true. please dont get excited"

everyone on neogaf, " HE IS DOING IT HE IS PORTING IT!!!! OH man... DURANTE YOU ARE JESUS!"

durante, "GUYS...wait, i don't even have this game. I don.."

everyone on neogaf, "alalalala Praise the great holy lord Durante om om om lalalala"

durante, "GUYS........."

"LALALAlalalalalalalala ommmm ommmmm"

*30 minutes later*

"ok, I made it work, here you go"

everyone
uyiVwVA.gif

You missed the last bit:

Developer/publisher who decided to put out shitty port: ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

Bittercup

Ok, I have a bug in the game and I'm almost sure it's unrelated to anything my mod is doing. Can anyone confirm?

Basically, whenever there is a menu which has a number of options you can switch between with up/down, it starts to continuously cycle through the options and never stops. I'm used to this from buggy gamepad/joystick handling, but I unplugged all of those and it still happens. Any ideas?

As I said, I'm almost sure it's not my fault, I'm not doing anything with input.
I case you are using the Xinput wrapper. Did you stop the SCP DS3 Service as well?
Just unplugging the gamepads didn't work for me.

parabolee

Now we need to fix the lack of controller support!

People on the Steam forums are even saying you can't use Xpadder or Pinnacle because the game bugs out with a controller plugged in?!?!

The Steam page said it had controller support, sigh...

People on the Steam forums are even saying you can't use Xpadder or Pinnacle because the game bugs out with a controller plugged in?!?!

That's a real bummer, I was hoping to play it on my tv.

Tagyhag

I don't know if this matters or not, but just in case.

There's certain parts in the game where the entire game is rendered twice, I don't know if that's going to be a problem with your fix, Durante.

antitrop

Is this the definitive "worst PC port of all time"?

Plenty of people said that about Dark Souls last year, this is objectively worse.

Nishastra

Banned

Well, it says PARTIAL controller support. I can press B on my 360 controller to get through the main menu... That's about as partial as it gets :p

Grief.exe

Plenty of people said that about Dark Souls last year, this is objectively worse.

Neither game is the worst PC port of all time, though I'm not very familiar with the issues with Deadly Premonition.

There are plenty of games that are significantly worse and the issues have gone unfixed.

Tagyhag

Those people weren't around for RE4 and DMC3.

Dark Souls was a direct port but at least it worked just fine.

antitrop

Those people weren't around for RE4 and DMC3.

Dark Souls was a direct port but at least it worked just fine.

Man, I bought DMC3 back when it came out and the game literally crashed to desktop with a Fatal Error every time I double clicked the EXE.

Never got to play it once.

Man, I bought DMC3 back when it came out and the game literally crashed to desktop with a Fatal Error every time I double clicked the EXE.

Never got to play it once.

I've bought a shit ton of games that refuse to launch, the worst is the invisible launch, where the exe boots up and eats up memory but nothing happens.

Durante

I'm glad Durante is working on a res fix but the game runs at like under 10fps in the Red Room. I have an i7 and a 7870 so I'm not entirely sure what's dragging it down. I also scrolled my mouse wheel during gameplay which prompted the weapon wheel to spin infinitely.
I get good performance on my 660ti even at 3840x2160 internal rendering resolution, though I have no idea what the red room is. Is that the starting area?

On the other hand, I also have the infinite weapon wheel spinning bug which renders the game unplayable.

I case you are using the Xinput wrapper. Did you stop the SCP DS3 Service as well?
Just unplugging the gamepads didn't work for me.
I'll try that!

Darklord

Banned
Amazing discovery #1:

This game does not use DirectInput. It uses the positively ancient joyGetPosEx function in the WinMM library.

What this means for a potential DPfix:

I'll have to change the loading/interception method. That's +30 minutes.

Incredible. This is embarrassing for Japanese developers.

Zebetite

Banned
I get good performance on my 660ti even at 3840x2160 internal rendering resolution, though I have no idea what the red room is. Is that the starting area?

On the other hand, I also have the infinite weapon wheel spinning bug which renders the game unplayable.

I'll try that!

Yeah, the room with those two kid-angels that you start gameplay in. York's running animation had all of two distinct frames as I ran around in it. I didn't play any farther so I dont know if the framerate problems are exclusive to that room.

Lijik

Come on.
The Onimusha PC port would constantly not load random parts of models amongst other bugs and general lack of options
tumblr_minuwfQnd81qejutxo1_500.png

antitrop

Come on.
The Onimusha PC port would constantly not load random parts of models amongst other bugs and general lack of options
Sounds pretty tame compared to a weapon wheel glitch that renders the game unplayable. I played Onimusha on Xbox, though, so I don't know know anything on the state of that port.

Only one I played on PC was 3, which was a fine port for the time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Interestingly enough, I've been trying to change the tide on the DMC3 port. Through patches and community tweaks, and xpadder the game actually runs very well.

Someone recently got it and complained about how crap it runs on their well over qualified system so I'm not willing to gamble even though I love the game and would like to play it on PC. I'd probably be better off using PCSX2 and applying the widescreen patch.

MRORANGE

Yo Durante:

Wow! I am floored by Durante's skills! I just shot him a message. Hopefully I am able to put him in direct communication with RSG so we can have an official patch or get something worked out. :)

Hope Durante is rewarded for his efforts in fixing this mess.

I preo-ordered the game. When I saw this thread, I was disappointed, but not angry. I never played the original game so I wasn't looking for a graphical update. I just wanted to try the game for the first time.

Now that I saw how quickly Durante fixed the issue though, I am a little pissed. Really? That's all the time and effort it took? And the devs didn't do that because....?

SkeletonJelly

Neo Member
If 360 controller doesn't work what gamepad did they test this on? The Steam page says partial controller support and 360 is the most common controller for PCs

Top Bottom