• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

1. Check which dll's the game uses, find one suitable for injection.
  2. Replace that dll, inject my code, log all the relevant DirectX calls
  3. Run the game a bit
  4. Browse the log file (with search, it's several 100 MB), try to figure out the relevant calls
  5. Replace those you think affect rendering resolution

At this point you get the totally broken result shown first in this thread. Now you start a loop.

1. [*]By a combination of log reading, intuition and wild guessing, try to figure out what's wrong.
  2. Adjust the things that need adjusting to fix what presumably went wrong.
  3. Run the game and check if it helped.
  4. If it's still broken, start again at 1.

I'll probably have to continue the loop above for a few hours now.

so you are a wizard

Manac0r

Can't do, I already own the game on console. This is too broken and too lazy to support. Durante, I threw the money I was going to spend on this game your way, god knows you deserve it. Acts like yours make me proud to be a gamer. Thank you.

Thanks, that did fix the framerate problem, but it still has that cursor issue where it constantly scrolls through the weapons when I'm not touching anything.

do you have a 360 pad still plugged in? unplug it....sigh Deadly Premonition pls...pls work not crappy....PLS

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Does alt tabbing crash/break the game for anyone else? kinda annoying.. might just have to run it in a window

Yeah, it happened when I was testing out some of the problems people were having. It doesn't seem to like alt-tabbing at all so I'd like a fake full screen mode like DSfix if possible.

tsab

I have the PS3 version still untouched, the framerate is horrible to bare and I was waiting for the PC version but I think I'll wait for a sale now

Hm, if they won't patch in controller support, this will be a nice show case for the Steam Controller claiming full backwards compatibility with all keyboard and mouse games. Looking forward to that. :)

Nillansan

But why has Valve even greenlit a game that's not ready, barely playable, which is even close to false advertising?

A majority of games that are greenlit are still under development as was the case with Deadly Premonition. Also, the game was greenlit by the community. Valve doesn't have the capacity to test every single submission either.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't do, I already own the game on console. This is too broken and too lazy to support. Durante, I threw the money I was going to spend on this game your way, god knows you deserve it. Acts like yours make me proud to be a gamer. Thank you.

+1

Foaloal

Now you are reaching.

What you said before was crazier.

Why are you guys defending this and insulting somebody too?

There are way more bugs than there should be, that's a fact.

Controller support is advertised but doesn't work.

I can't even make my own controller support because the game constantly reads D-pad up input from the controller.

Framerate/animations are broken for many people until they restart (who knows how long until the issue comes back and they have to restart again)

I press F with my map open. All control is lost, have to F4.

I can't even reassign the movement keys, and if you try to assign w,a,s, or d to another control you get an engrish error message "key not support".

Somebody else posted that the game crashes every time a cutscene starts.

Whenever I try to drive the car the game completely crashes.

I literally CAN NOT PLAY the game because it forces you into the car.

So maybe next time before you defend a broken game and insult somebody for voicing their opinion on it you should look back on this moment and realize you have no place calling somebody crazy.

Haven't found any bugs yet aside from the already known ones. Mods works great, thanks Durante.

l6KWbQB.jpg

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I wish Durante could make Naruto 60fps. Damn you namco :(. At least the game doesn't have massive framerate drops like console though.

3. Run the game a bit
  4. Browse the log file (with search, it's several 100 MB), try to figure out the relevant calls

At this point you get the totally broken result shown first in this thread. Now you start a loop.
  1. By a combination of log reading, intuition and wild guessing, try to figure out what's wrong.

My god man....you are awesome.

Dude this isn't some big publisher and I'm pretty sure it's their first PC attempt. Cut them some slack. They've even reached out to Durante.
Yeah, I shouldn't expect them to have a controller working for a console port. That's asking a lot of them. You're right.

3. Run the game a bit

1. By a combination of log reading, intuition and wild guessing, try to figure out what's wrong.

So, magic. Okay.

Larsa

Hmm, I played through the prologue yesterday and it was working fine (relatively), but now the loading and entering menus takes forever. Weird.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So maybe next time before you defend a broken game and insult somebody for voicing their opinion on it you should look back on this moment and realize you have no place calling somebody crazy.

No, what he said before the quick edit was just dumb. I have no problem with his edit and I imagine the other person was replying to the original as well since I'm sure quite a few people don't agree that any genre but FPS are unplayable without a controller.

parabolee

This works pretty well, the aiming feels great, but for some reason any time I try to take out a weapon the weapon wheel just starts infinitely scrolling.

Doesn't seem like there's a way to stop it either. Does this not occur for you at all? I've heard of others having the same issue on the Steam forums and they were only able to fix it by unplugging their 360 controllers.

I do not get this issue. No idea why I have been spared from this bug. But some say unplugging your controller will fix it. No help for you if you want to use pinnacle though :(

Harlock

The full support for controllers is something that Steam should make obligatory for games that use gamepad in other systems.

Valve is all about this crazy new controller, steam box, steam os, but cant make the games in the Steam have a simple controller support.

I think people need to take a step back and remember that five years ago these games would never come to the PC. Who knows what kind of state the code is in and the amount of work necessary to just get it running on another platform. That's not to say "you should be happy with what you got" just that you're gonna need to deal with some bullshit before some of these Japanese devs learn that there is a viable market for their games on PC and put the necessary resources into it from the get-go. Maybe Dark Souls 2 is that game.

parabolee

I think people need to take a step back and remember that five years ago these games would never come to the PC. Who knows what kind of state the code is in and the amount of work necessary to just get it running on another platform. That's not to say "you should be happy with what you got" just that you're gonna need to deal with some bullshit before some of these Japanese devs learn that there is a viable market for their games on PC and put the necessary resources into it from the get-go. Maybe Dark Souls 2 is that game.

I'm willing to deal with some bullshit. And I am certainly happier to have it on PC with these issues that not at all.

But I still feel entitled to complain about the lack of controller support (and resolution before Durante fixed it).

Gbraga

I'm willing to deal with some bullshit. And I am certainly happier to have it on PC with these issues that not at all.

But I still feel entitled to complain about the lack of controller support (and resolution before Durante fixed it).

Yeah, I was ready to accept the 720p into my heart if for some reason Durante was unable to fix it, but no controller support was too much.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's neat.

Need to fix :p

Well a few more things just incase you didn't see them:
-Enemy ghosting effects spawning in their original 720p spots as opposed to their new location
-Mini Map is not positioned correctly
-Split screen moments are wonky
(Raincoat Killer chases)

Ledsen

It would be rude not the mention that I just got a nice message from the Rising Star Games PR guy.

Can't really imagine at the moment how to actually work out something official though, I doubt they want to send me their game code to fix (would probably be a licensing nightmare, particularly if any third party stuff is involved -- which there almost always is).

What if they hired you as a consultant? I can't imagine they would be prohibited from having consultants working on the game. Unless you'd need to install stuff only they have licenses for I guess.

scitek

Well, they shouldn't advertise something as a feature if it isn't really there, either. Speaking both to the "enhanced HD graphics" and the controller support.

Parsnip

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. Deadly Premonition started development way back in 2004 and probably originally as a PS2 game. I can't even imagine the mess the codebase is now after all these years, how many people have touched it, and having moved from system to system to system. And if I remember right, different company did the work on PS3 DC, and that's the code this version is also probably based on.

Lets just say that I don't envy the people who had to dig into that code when they started the PC work.

Which of course doesn't excuse the troubled launch, but I find it gives it an interesting perspective.

Gbraga

Well, they shouldn't advertise something as a feature if it isn't really there, either. Speaking both to the "enhanced HD graphics" and the controller support.

Enhanced HD graphics is a feature of the Director's Cut, it's copy and paste from the PS3 version, to be fair. So it's about looking better than the 360 version.

But controller support, absolutely.

If you want to do it, do it right.

silenttwn

I changed my mind and decided to give it another go. I'm not very far -- I just met the sheriff and deputy. During that cutscene, I noticed the lake behind them is just one flat blue color. Are some water effects absent here?

Bittercup

Enhanced HD graphics is a feature of the Director's Cut, it's copy and paste from the PS3 version, to be fair. So it's about looking better than the 360 version.
Which unfortunately is only half-true. Higher resolution and FOV vs. missing effects. It's not straight better looking.

@silenttwn
Yes, the water always looks like that during the cutscene. Exactly the same as on PS3. Normally there should be a nice water effect (as it is the case on the 360 version) and you can see it in the DC if you later return to that place during normal gameplay.

Top Bottom