• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

ViviOggi

Yeah, with the current version of the game that tag really is false advertising.

I wonder, have you stumbled upon any remnants of full-fledged controller support in the files? Because from the outside it looks like they wanted to implement it, couldn't get it to work and/or ran out of time/budget, and scrapped it last-minute.

parabolee

UPDATE -

My controller support pack is now out!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88675715&postcount=1008

247660_2013-11-04_00001.png

247660_2013-11-04_00002.png

247660_2013-11-04_00003.png

Revenile

So I dumped some of the textures, cause I wanted to try my hand at making at the very least the card binder in the options look slightly less horrid. While going through what I dumped I found a picture of hand outlines holding a ps3 controller. I personally can't wait to see what some talented texture artists can do, at least for the normal maps.

Durante

So I dumped some of the textures, cause I wanted to try my hand at making at the very least the card binder in the options look slightly less horrid. While going through what I dumped I found a picture of hand outlines holding a ps3 controller. I personally can't wait to see what some talented texture artists can do, at least for the normal maps.
So, did you do something about the card binder? It's the one truly horrifying texture in the game.

nullset2

Durante, as an aspiring programmer/software engineer, I have to ask you: why are you so awesome? How can you be this productive? My head starts spinning whenever I try to get into low-level/memory programming stuff, yet you do it like it ain't no thang. In some regards I am barely motivated, so I don't get experimenting with new tech or doing creative stuff programming-wise: here I am gnashing my teeth about this little snippet of code I tried to write to calculate the inverse of an square matrix, and in the meantime you release two alphas of great software. So, if it's possible, do you have any advice to stop sucking as a programmer and engineer? Any inspiration you have and can share?

And kudos on your work, btw, here's hoping your future is chock full of wealth and all that is good and pleasurable. And to keep it on topic, I am sure I will play DP eventually, since I am very interested in this game since I read the insomnia.ac review.

Foaloal

Nice. I'm going to give this a try :)

So once edited I can just put this PNG in the texture override folder and turn that on, and it should work right?

Texture override doesn't work for me, as soon as I enable it the game crashes on startup with d3d9.dll being the "fault module".

Does it work for anybody?

Durante

Durante, as an aspiring programmer/software engineer, I have to ask you: why are you so awesome? How can you be this productive? My head starts spinning whenever I try to get into low-level/memory programming stuff, yet you do it like it ain't no thang. In some regards I am barely motivated, so I don't get experimenting with new tech or doing creative stuff programming-wise: here I am gnashing my teeth about this little snippet of code I tried to write to calculate the inverse of an square matrix, and in the meantime you release two alphas of great software. So, if it's possible, do you have any advice to stop sucking as a programmer and engineer? Any inspiration you have and can share?
Well, I think a few things help:
  • I've been programming now for 16 years (10 of which I studied computer science, 5 of which I also programmed professionally at the same time), and started with C 16 years ago. High-level languages are nice and all, but I believe that starting with C and implementing a linked list in your second program (and bashing your head against Segmentation Faults for weeks) when you're 13 really builds character.
  • Specifically for this type of programming (the hard part of which is mostly reverse engineering), I've been working in low-level C (and some assembly) at my job for 4 years or so now, so I know a lot about ABIs, library loading, low-level debugging (without debug symbols) and such things on multiple platforms.
  • It also helps that although I've never done it professionally, I've programmed a lot of side projects using graphics APIs over the years, and used to read developer posts on Beyond3D (back in the heyday of the early 00s) religiously, and largely kept up with it, so I know how modern games mostly do their rendering. This is vital for understanding the things that could go wrong when e.g. changing resolution, and the "flashes of insight" you gain with experience can save you literally hours or days of debugging it the hard way.
  • Also, as you mention, motivation is also really important. Here it's crucial that I have a huge ego (mostly just about my programming skill that is), which I have to admit is probably really what led me to trying to create DSfix in the first place. I posted on GAF multiple times about how I couldn't believe that the game will be resolution locked, how silly that would be and how it must be a translation error. When I was proven wrong about that, and some people made up long reasons for why such a lock could be in place, I was irked. Someone was wrong on the internet, and it fell to me to set them straight.
  • Finally, the other part next to motivation is perseverance, and I'll try to actually formulate this one as a useful tip ;). I also often see it in students, that at some point, if they hit a really hard problem, they give up or try to find a way around it. In my opinion, every time you do that you deny yourself growth as an engineer. I guess you could say, if you bash your head against a wall until it breaks you'll have a really hardened head afterwards. Or be dead. One of the two.
In conclusion, to become a better engineer/programmer, solve more problems/program more. And harder ones.

Texture override doesn't work for me, as soon as I enable it the game crashes on startup with d3d9.dll being the "fault module".

Does it work for anybody?
I never even really tested it, just ported it straight from DSfix. I'll have a look right now.

I played a bit this weekend and it froze at the first time York got in a car. Gonna have to try the Windows 98 compatibility trick next time I play.

But I just wanted to say thanks, Durante. You're doing a great thing here and I'm glad to finally have this game on PC. I'm amazed at how quickly you turn these patches out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I played a bit this weekend and it froze at the first time York got in a car. Gonna have to try the Windows 98 compatibility trick next time I play.

But I just wanted to say thanks, Durante. You're doing a great thing here and I'm glad to finally have this game on PC. I'm amazed at how quickly you turn these patches out.

A friend ran into this and the Windows 98 trick worked (was just talking with him as he played, seems we have another DP fan as he's really loving the game so far, about four hours in and reaching the end of Episode 1).

Remember to set both the Launcher and the game's exe to Windows 98 Mode and Run as Administrator, and to restart your computer after you've installed the game.

parabolee

screenshot_2013-11-04ixozk.jpg

0.6 released

The short of it: texture overrides fixed, keybindable actions for screenshots and hudless screenshots added. Not the most nail-bitingly exciting release ;)

AWESOME! Did not expect you to implement my controller mapping image so quickly! Now I need to release the Pinnacle/Xpadder profiles to match!

Also we should probably credit the guy responsible for the controller icons -

http://sinnix.net/

Durante fixing games LIKE A BOSS!!

Also question in general to the thread, I've never played this game before but I love creepy quirky kinda games and I'm wondering if this is worth it? For a game that looks like it should be hated it sure gets a lot of love from gamers. Now seems like a good time to get into it

Durante

If you love creepy quirky games and can deal with an extreme lack of polish (both technical and gameplay), you absolutely should play Deadly Premonition.

puzl

Banned
SO SORRY! I completely forgot to post that I remapped the buttons in the Deadly Premonition settings!

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT: With he release of DPfix 0.6 I now need to remap the buttons to match the defaults so they can work with the texture override image I created (and linked by Durante). I will do that tonight! Look for it around 10pm EST

OLD VERSION BELOW

I changed the in game mapping so the on screen prompts more closely match actual buttons.

Here is what you need to remap them to -

DP-Remap.PNG

I used 4 for A since you can't remap WASD and I used 1/2 for the L/R bumpers. Also ALT is mapped to D-pad right, to speed up the loading or pause the QTE's :)

Here are my profiles again for anyone that wants them -

Pinnacle -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...remonition.pin

Xpadder -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0...it?usp=sharing

When holding X to accelerate the car it adds turn signals to the bumpers. And when holding aim it adds lock on to the right bumper.

The Pinnacle profile even includes an ALT layout that sets mouse turning on the left stick while stile using up and down to walk. Emulating analogue movement and controlling more like the Xbox version.

--

Thanks to Durante and the use of these profiles, Deadly Premonition is now at the point I expected it to be upon release! (Minus actual analogue movement :).

Really glad I can finally enjoy the definitive version of this game! Can't wait to see what modders do with it to patch in HD textures!

Your new URLs don't work. They cut off, probably when you pasted them :)

Necrovex

The moment you release 1.0 is the moment I'll buy the game (on a Steam Sale). So excited to replay through this magical gem.

FoxSpirit

Changing the map zoom level from the DirectX interceptor level is almost impossible, sadly. I agree that it's silly they give you zoom control at all, when the most zoomed out level is actually what you'd expect the most zoomed in to be.

Oh, and now the new part of my tag is no longer a complete mystery to me!
desktop_2013_11_03_00nnspg.jpg
I am pleased. Yes I am.
Glückwunsch aus Wien nach Innsbruck, sollt mal vorbeikommen :p

screenshot_2013-11-04ixozk.jpg

0.6 released

The short of it: texture overrides fixed, keybindable actions for screenshots and hudless screenshots added. Not the most nail-bitingly exciting release ;)

Hey if it isn't too much trouble can you make it so we can disable the HUD during gameplay? Between it and the subtitles, the screen is always so cluttered.

Thanks for making this game much more enjoyable for all of us.

MaxiLive

Amazing job! :D

Is anyone else getting crashes when trying to run in window'd mode though? When I change the config in the fix it just crashes as soon as it launches.

EDIT: IGNORE the above :D I failed to change the actually Deadly Premonition config! Herp a derp.

ViviOggi

Amazing job! :D

Is anyone else getting crashes when trying to run in window'd mode though? When I change the config in the fix it just crashes as soon as it launches.

I used to, just had to turn off fullscreen in the launcher to get it working.

ViviOggi

Neither rebooting nor Win 98 compatibility mode fixed the brake looping for me - but switching from my 5.1 system to headset. The fucking hoops this shitty port has us jumping through.

€: Oh I see why it's fixed, because the car doesn't make any sound at all while driving

Guri

Deadly Premonition will soon be the best example of how a community can help improve the quality of a game.

golem09

Neo Member
If you love creepy quirky games and can deal with an extreme lack of polish (both technical and gameplay), you absolutely should play Deadly Premonition.

I hope you do some side quests, since they are extremely important in terms of gameplay advantage AND storyline, and are completely misseable. Thing is, the game doesn't want you to do sidequests, so you have to find them yourself.
Protip: Visit George's House on a rainy night. He has kind of an useful item. Just try it out.

I also fully endorse the term "Durante's Cut"

I hope you do some side quests, since they are extremely important in terms of gameplay advantage AND storyline, and are completely misseable. Thing is, the game doesn't want you to do sidequests, so you have to find them yourself.
Protip: Visit George's House on a rainy night. He has kind of an useful item. Just try it out.

I also fully endorse the term "Durante's Cut"

Yeah, light spoilers, but I finished the town meeting, and then on the way back to the hotel, I decided to stop by the two bars in the town. In the first one, George is there getting drunk, and in the second, it is Anna's mother getting shitfaced. Love little details like that.

Nishastra

Banned
The game is always pushing you forward, but it's important to note that nothing bad happens if you ignore a "limit". That's the time in which whatever can be done, but the day is not specified. With a few exceptions you can just go off and do your own thing for as long as you like between major objectives.

The game is always pushing you forward, but it's important to note that nothing bad happens if you ignore a "limit". That's the time in which whatever can be done, but the day is not specified. With a few exceptions you can just go off and do your own thing for as long as you like between major objectives.

That's really nice to know, thanks!

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, light spoilers, but I finished the town meeting, and then on the way back to the hotel, I decided to stop by the two bars in the town. In the first one, George is there getting drunk, and in the second, it is Anna's mother getting shitfaced. Love little details like that.

Every person in town run on a schedule, similar to Majora's Mask.

Zafir

How does aiming work with xpadder/pinnacle on this? Back when I tried to map games on Xpadder which didn't support controllers natively, the aiming was always rather meh.

parabolee

How does aiming work with xpadder/pinnacle on this? Back when I tried to map games on Xpadder which didn't support controllers natively, the aiming was always rather meh.

Xpadder is fine at 720 or below. Above that it gets jittery. Pinnacle is fantastic, as good as native controller mapping.

Although Deadly Premonition has a weighted laggy feel. But that is the game not Pinncle.

I have updated my profiles to match the buttons for the texture override. Have not tested yet so I'll do a more complete update when I have later. If anyone wants to test, the old links will download the new ones now.

Also noticed that my keyboard at work had no numpad so I had weapon change set 1 and 2. So the buttons in the png reflect that, will update/fix that later too.

parabolee

Never mind, I am not a clever man.

Oh you were using the old profile :). Easily done.

Maybe I am missing something simple, but texture override is not working at all for me??

Going to recheck the settings for the 4th time.

EDIT - Nope not working for me?!???!? using 0.61 tried both my texture and the version Durante posted (which was mine resized). Confused, Deleted the whole fix and copied the new 0.61 in, changed texture override, aa and saved ini. Boot game, nothing ??!?! Dumping works.

Durante

I just tested it again in 0.6.1, and it's working for me. (Note that abload renames the texture, it should just be 8 characters before the .png)

s_mirage

I've found a weird bug with dpfix. If you are running in Win 98 compatibility mode and press F on the title screen to go to Add-On Setup, the game crashes. It doesn't do this without dpfix, and it doesn't do it without compatibility mode. This is on Windows 8.1

Not a biggie but I thought I'd mention it just in case the same problem crops up elsewhere.

parabolee

I just tested it again in 0.6.1, and it's working for me. (Note that abload renames the texture, it should just be 8 characters before the .png)

Probably something to to do with the png name as you say. Although I used the version you linked. Did you resize it? It was different dimensions to mine.

I'll take a closer look shortly.

Persona7

Banned
I've found a weird bug with dpfix. If you are running in Win 98 compatibility mode and press F on the title screen to go to Add-On Setup, the game crashes. It doesn't do this without dpfix, and it doesn't do it without compatibility mode. This is on Windows 8.1

Not a biggie but I thought I'd mention it just in case the same problem crops up elsewhere.

Same exact situation I am having as well except I wasn't running 98 compatibility mode.

Parsnip

Texture overrides work great over here as well, both the ones from the blog and my own. Was messing around with replacing the fonts with something better. We'll see if anything comes out of it.

Top Bottom