• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Did a vector trace of the font and it seems to be passable aside from some stray things I need to fix:
0Bz2afi.png

I'll post as a temp fix when I'm done until someone can find the right font.

EDIT: All fixed and ready to use! Remember to save it as "1ee9a952.png"

parabolee

Hmm, just using this, seems good. For some reason run is still showing up as L Shift though?

Edit: Also had an issue with holding your breath during the early cutscene where you need to. Came up saying hold LB, didn't work. In the end I happened to be talking on vent while trying again(CTRL is my ptt) and figured out Ctrl+LB seemed to work. Using Pinnacle for reference.

Ah looks like I missed a few things. Will fix and update now. Thanks.

Did a vector trace of the font and it seems to be passable aside from some stray things I need to fix:
0Bz2afi.png

Great work!

Foaloal

Why not use distance zones in xpadder or the equivalent in pinaccle to allow the left joystick to walk at less than 50% distance and run (shift +w/a/s/d) at over 50%?

You can go further and edit the left joystick diagonal zones to be a bit bigger which makes turning left/right while driving easier.

This is how I've set up my own xpadder profile, and it works great.

This frees up the x button for the flashlight, and the right bumper for anything, which frees up left/right on the dpad for z/x (signal lights and left/right in menus).

I've set hold breath to Left Stick click, so that leaves me with LB/RB free for whatever I need (personally I set them to A/D to make driving even easier)

If you really want to keep Alt in there for loading screens, Right stick click seems like it would be fine for that purpose.

This way you don't need any set selectors or to memorize any controls that won't be displayed in game.

The only "downside" is cars will drive in "turbo" unless you only push the left thumbstick less than 50%, but I don't really see why you wouldn't always want to drive in turbo anyways (the stress/anxiety/whatever meter fills pretty slowly)

here's a picture of my xpadder scheme and how I set up my distance zone for natural walk/run on the left stick.

Edit: Here's a link to my profile along with a custom override texture that uses the same icons as parabolee (from sinnix) but with an emboss/glow applied to smooth the edges and add contrast. http://www.mediafire.com/?9y4fi5yu8dcs8f4

Here's a picture of how my icon texture looks ingame:

0Bz2afi.png

Looks (and works!) great, Thanks!

I guess I should actually state what I did. I increased the shadow rendering resolution n-fold (configurable) while also eliminating projective aliasing (what that makes shadows on oblique surfaces look like crap and jump around). It still breaks lots of stuff currently, but I hope I'll be able to figure that out.
Interesting. So how did you eliminate projective aliasing in this case - just increasing the resolution alone shouldn't fix it, or should it? I'm trying to understand the issues I read about there
IC613297.jpg

parabolee

Why not use distance zones in xpadder or the equivalent in pinaccle to allow the left joystick to walk at less than 50% distance and run (shift +w/a/s/d) at over 50%?

Because I dislike that method a lot. It feels horribly awkward to me and makes walking around when I don't want to run (like indoors) very cumbersome. If the analogue stick only has two speeds rather than full analogue it feels terrible and even clunkier than just the 8 directions. Also the original game does not do it that way, run is on a button.

Not to mention how worse driving would feel when accelerating is pretty much always boosting!...

You can go further and edit the left joystick diagonal zones to be a bit bigger which makes turning left/right while driving easier.

Because pushing up to accelerate with the same stick that is steering feels terrible IMO. And the driving in Deadly Premonition does not need to feel more terrible! No game ever does it that way. With mine turning is done without holding up, so it already feels as good as it can (given it is not analogue). Also having the light on the dpad feels fine and rarely used, no need for it on X.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Trying to do some menu elements and that text texture was my first time doing a texture mod and running into some problems.
Is there some odd scaling measurement I need to use? It comes up misaligned and breaks some of the transparencies and alignments after redoing the Pause menu text.
I had to use the other texture mod as a guide for the text one since I had the same problem there as well.

Here is the one I'm trying to do at the moment which is the Item sub-menu (8e5f20ee.png)

Foaloal

Because I dislike that method a lot. It feels horribly awkward to me and makes walking around when I don't want to run (like indoors) very cumbersome. If the analogue stick only has two speeds rather than full analogue it feels terrible and even clunkier than just the 8 directions. Also the original game does not do it that way, run is on a button.

Not to mention how worse driving would feel when accelerating is pretty much always boosting!...

Because pushing up to accelerate with the same stick that is steering feels terrible IMO. And the driving in Deadly Premonition does not need to feel more terrible! No game ever does it that way. With mine turning is done without holding up, so it already feels as good as it can (given it is not analogue). Also having the light on the dpad feels fine and rarely used, no need for it on X.

Fair enough, I guess we have different preferences.

To me holding a button to run isn't intuitive, which is why I usually dislike keyboard control schemes to begin with. With the distance zone set far enough it's not a pain to walk, any more than it is in any game that supports walking by pushing the analog stick less than 100%.

As for driving, you could easily map w/s to RB/LB and then just use left/right on the joystick for steering, but I can see how you'd prefer your setup.

Driving doesn't seem to feel any different to me whether I'm boosting or not, the only difference I notice is that I obviously go faster when boosting.

Anyways thanks for explaining your preferences to me, they seemed strange without the explanation but now I understand why you chose to set up your controls as you did.

Trying to do some menu elements and that text texture was my first time doing a texture mod.
Is there some odd scaling measurement I need to use? It comes up misaligned and breaks some of the transparencies and alignments after redoing the Pause menu text.

I'm confused by this too, I tried taking the original keyboard icon texture, completely unedited except for saving as a .png, and putting it in the override folder, but that causes it to not fit properly in game, even though I haven't edited the size of the file or anything except the format.

Is it possible that textures dump in the wrong dimensions because of downsampling, or is there something else at play here?

Foaloal

I've made the first high res texture for the game, as far as I know:

I plan on trying to modify a lot of the items in the milk barn, hopefully they're all this easy.

Thanks to Durante for explaining how to make high res textures, and linking to the Nvidia .dds plugin for photoshop.

Here's the file if you want some high res pancake mix:
http://www.mediafire.com/?avk7j12ckux1oie

Edit: whoops, kind of double posted there...

Too immersion breaking?

High-Res copyright infringement yum!
The original used the exact same picture, but edited enough to not be copyrighted

Interesting choice for the first high res texture in the entire game.
I don't really know anything about making textures, so editing something where I'd actually have to hand draw it is probably beyond my skills. That's why I targeted the milk barn since almost all of the products are slightly edited versions of actual things.

jgminto

I plan on trying to modify a lot of the items in the milk barn, hopefully they're all this easy.

Thanks to Durante for explaining how to make high res textures, and linking to the Nvidia .dds plugin for photoshop.

Too immersion breaking?

The original used the exact same picture, but edited enough to not be copyrighted
I demand replacing them with the "edited" textures from the 360 version

Milamber

Too immersion breaking?

I don't really know anything about making textures, so editing something where I'd actually have to hand draw it is probably beyond my skills. That's why I targeted the milk barn since almost all of the products are slightly edited versions of actual things.

Dammit! I'm too slow.

*deletes own copyright infringe-able textures*

Foaloal

Did that plug-in fix things Foaloal? If it did I'll download it so I can work on all the menus for the game.

Yeah, all my highres textures are working so far saving them as .dds using the plugin durante linked last page.

I've been making all my textures 4x scales of the original texture resolutions, not sure if that's necessary but I'm doing it just to be safe.

Durante

Interesting. So how did you eliminate projective aliasing in this case - just increasing the resolution alone shouldn't fix it, or should it? I'm trying to understand the issues I read about there
IC613297.jpg
I also increased the bit depth of of the shadow maps and changed at which distances the individual textures in the shadow map cascade are accessed. As you say, just changing the resolution fixes spatial aliasing but not projective aliasing.

Not quite, I posted this one yesterday in my blog comments ;)
(It's the trading card book thing)

Edit: great job on the texture mods by the way, particularly the text.

Durante

That just looks like you are missing the alpha channel. If you're using photoshop, it loads the .tga's alpha channel in a separate channel, you need to re-integrate it as a mask into the picture.

(And of course you need to use a DDS format which supports alpha, e.g. A8R8G8B8)

Cronox

Banned
This is good stuff, Durante and others. Good to know that when I eventually buy this game it'll be alright. Kind of like how I'm playing through Dark Souls on PC right now, actually...

This is good stuff, Durante and others. Good to know that when I eventually buy this game it'll be alright. Kind of like how I'm playing through Dark Souls on PC right now, actually...

Will the various crashes and full controller support ever get patched, though?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That just looks like you are missing the alpha channel. If you're using photoshop, it loads the .tga's alpha channel in a separate channel, you need to re-integrate it as a mask into the picture.

(And of course you need to use a DDS format which supports alpha, e.g. A8R8G8B8)

That was it! I'll just pack all these up together when I'm done with all the Menu text and probably someone else can take care of those ugly category icons in the pause menu.

Surprised I even got the text mod done without this since I used the other one in the thread to squish things down for it to properly display.

Foaloal

^^^Good work infinite, it's nice that somebody is fixing things that actually matter.

So far I've got 14 double/quadruple resolution textures for items in the milk barn, many of which are the actual product, a few of which are the closest product I could find (some of the default textures are unclear and might actually be somewhat original).

Is anyone actually interested in high res milk barn items? There's definitely some charm to the original lowres knockoff textures.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm a sucker for texture mods in general.

Is it possible to make a sharper version of the health and stamina bars? It's a little blurry.

I was actually thinking about doing that if I can find the .tga for it as well as making a 360 HUD mod for fun after I finish everything I actually care about.

Foaloal

I was actually thinking about doing that if I can find the .tga for it

On that note, it can be a little hard finding the texture files you're looking for, especially since you always have all the texture from starting the game to loading your save in your tex_dump folder.

You can obviously make things a little bit easier by loading a save in the area with the textures you want, but there aren't save points every where.

So, I propose a question to Durante;

Would it be difficult/impossible to be able to toggle texture dumping ingame?

Perhaps you would be able to turn it on right before loading an area, and then only save the textures for that area (and the hud/etc. of course).

Or if you could turn it on and just dump all the textures currently loaded, that would work even better.

So does that kind of functionality sound reasonably easy to implement, or would it be quite a bit of work for a function that very few people are going to want/use?

I also increased the bit depth of of the shadow maps and changed at which distances the individual textures in the shadow map cascade are accessed.
I see, so what I marked below would be cascade seams? If so, purely theoretically, would it be possible to add a linear blend between layers?
seamswyacc.png

Durante

Pardon my ignorance but what resolution options are there for windowed mode?
All of them. Unless I misunderstand what you mean.

I see, so what I marked below would be cascade seams? IJf so, purely theoretically, would it be possible to add a linear blend between layers?
seamswyacc.png
Yes, those are cascade seams. They are really hard to notice in the final frame though. It would be possible to blend them, but I'd first need a whole shader identification and replacement machinery.

Parsnip

So I'm wondering about this thing, does dpfix expect power of two textures?

The texture for the icons (for example) comes out as non-standard 1024x1408 when dumped, putting that back in as-is will result in a lot of misaligned icons. The only way to get it working right is to either squash or stretch the 1408 to next or previous power of two.

Since the 1408 icons are proportionally correct, what I ended up doing is working on the 1408, then squash to 1024 for dpfix, and then the game will stretch it again to make the icons proportional again. All this seems somewhat destructive.

So I'm wondering if this could be avoided somehow.

Durante

DPfix doesn't care, the game apparently does.

I believe the keyboard icon texture is pretty much the only one this applies to, all the other ones are already power of 2. Probably because that one was added later for the PC port. For that one, I'd just stretch it to 2048, the impact should be minimal.

Parsnip

The fonts texture is that way too, but it looks like those are the only ones yeah. I don't think I have ever seen textures that aren't power of two before, so it was a bit baffling.

parabolee

Swery65 just followed me on Twitter! Cool :)

Can't wait to get some more HD textures and Durante's update with improved shading!

I'll start putting together a HD resolution pack with everyone's textures for people to download!

Foaloal

I hate to burst your bubble, but I literally just listened to a podcast a few hours ago where they mentioned getting followed by Swery, and then realizing he follows everyone.

Still cool that's he's so active on twitter though, it's nice to actually be able to contact developers and not have them act like they're above talking to fans.

Can't wait to get some more HD textures and Durante's update with improved shading!

I'll start putting together a HD resolution pack with everyone's textures for people to download!

He's good like that. I followed him last year and a week or so later he was following me too!
I hope he likes MotoGP talk because that's pretty much all i talk about on twitter :)

Of course, he may be following you because of your work helping with DPFix and suchlike. In that case, well done!

Top Bottom