• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

ViviOggi

Nice work as always Durante. I can't think of anything I want after the finally confirmed controller support gets implemented.

Durante

I have a problem. To fix the crashing bug when accessing the add-on menu (and potentially in any other part of the game) I need to change the way textures are hashed.

First of all, this breaks all existing texture mods, but there aren't that many so far and the authors will just have to find the new hash. It's better to do a clean break now than having to do so later when there are more texture mods.

More crucially, I use a texture hash to identify when the game renders the dual view (e.g. in chapter 5). I need the new hash code for that texture, but I no longer have a save at any point where there is such a dual screen view.

Can anyone give me a save where you can very quickly get to a dual-view scene? Ideally the room in chapter 5 since that wouldn't be a spoiler for me.

golem09

Neo Member
Oh hey, Durante, one more thing that might be interesting to fix, no clue if you can:

When you leave the steam overlay to go back into the game, all key presses that were done in the overlay (in the browser or the chat windows for example) are then recognized by the game and executed. Like if I watch a cutscene, go to the overlay, and write anything containing an "E" in a chat message, leaving the overlay skips the cutscenes, since "E" was pressed.
Can you disable those inputs?

silenttwn

If you run DP as admin (or in compatibility mode) you'll need to run xpadder as admin as well.

Got it, thank you. :)

Also, I might attempt a music mod of Deadly Premonition. I was thinking about how it'd be neat to substitute the Twin Peaks soundtrack into Deadly Premonition for fun.

Durante

I could try to make a workaround for that, but it would be really hacky, and I'm not sure if it's even possible (since the overlay and game are the same process). It's a much simpler solution to just run in borderless windowed mode and alt-tab to Steam proper.

I still need that save game!

golem09

Neo Member
Well, I would love to just use the borderless windowed mode, but I still get the black screen on ESC menu bug frequently, and the ALT key workaround doesn't work with borderless. So unless they fix that, I'll not use it.

Hey Durante, I was just playing and this happened (newest DPFix)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/705106121678972240/F86A680F3ACDBF2B269522D7001050DCE67C94CB/

(minor spoilers for 1-5)

So I was playing and I died from a QTE in that scene: I decided to load the save instead of just continuing. I THINK it was properly rendering at 1600x900 before reloading the save, then it looked like that again. I am not totally sure if it was correct at first, but I am pretty sure it was.

Anyway, I am loving the game even when it 50% playing, 50% trying to make the game not crash, like playing in borderless full screen was the solution for the game crashing in 1-6 when driving the car at random spots. So atmospheric and I love the horror segments. Nearest thing to a Silent Hill game I have played in years.

edit: damn, I should have seen your message earlier, I was just an hour ago at that point :(

parabolee

I found another TINY bug with DPfix. When viewing the map and bringing up the current mission objective, the shadown from the overlay that should sit on the map is where the map was when it was offset.

It's a TINY TINY issue and barely even worth fixing. But just a heads up.

parabolee

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/705106121678972240/F86A680F3ACDBF2B269522D7001050DCE67C94CB/

(minor spoilers for 1-5)

So I was playing and I died from a QTE in that scene: I decided to load the save instead of just continuing. I THINK it was properly rendering at 1600x900 before reloading the save, then it looked like that again. I am not totally sure if it was correct at first, but I am pretty sure it was.

Anyway, I am loving the game even when it 50% playing, 50% trying to make the game not crash, like playing in borderless full screen was the solution for the game crashing in 1-6 when driving the car at random spots. So atmospheric and I love the horror segments. Nearest thing to a Silent Hill game I have played in years.

edit: damn, I should have seen your message earlier, I was just an hour ago at that point :(

SEND HIM THE SAVE! He needs it at that point anyway!

Durante

I released anyway, will fix the dual screen thing later when I get a safe (and/or reach another such scene myself).

Changes:
  • Fixed crash when accessing the Add-ons menu (might also fix other crashes)
  • Added the ability to improve shadow rendering: shadow map resolution and precision settings
  • Added reflection resolution setting (affects e.g. mirrors, see screenshot above)

golem09

Neo Member

(minor spoilers for 1-5)

The EXACT same thing just happened to me (at a later point in the game). Splitscreen worked fine, died, didn't work anymore.

So here you go durante, my save right before that:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/apfy92ahmbga847/dp chapter 10 splitscreen.sav
It's a bit later in the game, the second splitscreen scene to be exact. No spoilers for you, just go through the left door the on the side of the room with two doors and you'll see the killer walking into another room. Follow him and you'll have your splitscreen.

I released anyway, will fix the dual screen thing later when I get a safe (and/or reach another such scene myself).

Changes:
  • Fixed crash when accessing the Add-ons menu (might also fix other crashes)
  • Added the ability to improve shadow rendering: shadow map resolution and precision settings
  • Added reflection resolution setting (affects e.g. mirrors, see screenshot above)

Niiiiiiice. Although after Golem's post, maybe I should wait?

Like I said, I just finished that scene before seeing that message :( The scenes were manageable with a smaller view, but goddamn were some of those QTE¨'s ruthless.

Having to repeatedly tap A and D was brutal on my hand.

I could try to make a workaround for that, but it would be really hacky, and I'm not sure if it's even possible (since the overlay and game are the same process). It's a much simpler solution to just run in borderless windowed mode and alt-tab to Steam proper.

I still need that save game!

I loaded up chapter 5 and played up to the phone before the spot, and it wouldn't let me save it :(

Makes no sense.

Edit: Oh good, you got one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
the reflection on the left side is so funny to me

X-box 720p version.

I'll pick this up when it's on sale below $20 (pref. $15) and hopefully Durante will have fixed it completely by then. I was all "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" for it during the Greenlight campaign, but not in this state. :/

golem09

Neo Member
0.7 Feedback

the split screen scene actually worked, but I encountered a new bug after the chase was over. In the Profiling scene upon getting the last clue of the location, the videos were not fullscreen, but smaller and in the top left corner. The Background image was still fullscreen, as were the stripes of film in the foreground.
You can use my save to see this as well (use the infinite wrench for combat), but there is this long hiding scene and then the boring chase before you get to the clue and the profiling. There should be saves closer to a profiling scene somewhere.

Durante

I fixed the dual screen rendering completely now (I hope), also after any number of reloads. I'll play the game a bit (from my real save game) and see if I can't reach a profiling scene to check this new issue.

Durante

Nice, love the new shadows.

Is the solution you made for DP something you can use for a DS shadow fix?
Not really, it's very specific to the game.

I could probably use what I learned to do something similar in Dark Souls (with quite a significant effort), but the shadows in Dark Souls aren't remotely as bad, and it uses dynamic environment shadowing a lot less than Deadly Premonition does.

epmode

I wonder how long it will take the devs to patch controller support.

That's what I'm waiting for before I bite. The Windows 98 compatibility thing and the broken controller support is just too embarrassing to excuse. At least Dark Souls worked as it should, in spite of the awful resolution and framerate.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is there a fix for the crash when you get in a car in the first chapter, on the way to the police station? I'm using DPfix .0.7.1

Restart your computer + Windows 98 compatibility.

EDIT: Found the text! It has a bunch of other HUD stuff in it for the weapon scrolling and such so I'll post a HUD pack when I'm done.
ibllvWBxmIa1hp.png

parabolee

Restart your computer + Windows 98 compatibility.

EDIT: Found the text! It has a bunch of other HUD stuff in it for the weapon scrolling and such so I'll post a HUD pack when I'm done.
ibllvWBxmIa1hp.png

Nice. I'm going to have to make an original Xbox version for myself I guess. Call it the minimalist version. I really find the DC version too busy.

DPhud.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nice. I'm going to have to make an original Xbox version for myself I guess. Call it the minimalist version. I really find the DC version too busy.

DPhud.png

Well with that close up shot I can probably try to make one after I'm done with this one! It looks like something you can make in MS Paint pretty quickly though. xD

Zukuu

Banned
I just read through the entire thread, following the work of Durante and the other guys. Splendid work. Needs to be packed together for a community patch later. ^^

Or sent to the devs so it can become an official patch if you get credited for it. :p

How did they contact you, and what info did you exchange?

In Durante we trust. Not only very skilled, but also has a fine taste in games (good ol' crpgs, german- and euro jank games <3) and speaks a wunderschöne Sprache (0/ hallo Nachbar).

Foaloal

Well, I would love to just use the borderless windowed mode, but I still get the black screen on ESC menu bug frequently, and the ALT key workaround doesn't work with borderless. So unless they fix that, I'll not use it.

I've seen that you were having this issue, been waiting for my chance to tell you my fix.

Do not use Durante's built in borderless windowed mode. Instead use his built in regular windowed mode.

Then, since regular windowed mode sucks, download autohotkey and "yabt" (yet another borderless toggle):
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/78903-yabt-yet-another-borderless-window-toggle/

Autohotkey is a very lightweight non intrusive program which will automatically run when you open an associated script such as yabt.

It might seem like a little bit of work to install a program that you may or may not want, but it will let you run any windowed program in borderless windowed mode just by hitting windows key + w. This also makes Alt work for fixing loading screens again.

I've been using this script for about a year, and I run all my games in borderless windowed now. It's really great to have for dual+ monitor setups.

PS: My Milk Barn textures all seem to be working still, although it wouldn't have been a big deal to rename them since I've been documenting which texture name corresponds to which ingame texture.

What, exactly, does YABT do? I use Splashtop to stream games from my desktop to my laptop and it doesn't work for D9 in fullscreen mode, but works in borderless windowed fullscreen - can I use it to make games that don't necesserily have the option to run that way? Do I have to use it after loading the game, or before? You may have saved my life, so please let me know :D

YABT is just a script for AutoHotKey. All it does is take the window that is currently in focus and set it to a borderless window, or if the window is currently borderless it will set it to a regular window. It should work on any game that can run in windowed mode, and can be run before or after loading the game, and is used at any point after the game's window is up.

The YABT script itself comes with a few lines that include "0x840000" which is a style of borderless window.

This style works good with most games, but I found with some it would leave a tiny 1 pixel white border around the window.

If you experience that issue, right click the YABT script file, choose edit script, and use ctrl + f to change all the "0x840000" to be "0xC40000".

I find this style seems to provide better compatibility with most games, but I don't know much about scripting or why the author of yabt chose to go with "0x840000"

This script has been a real lifesaver for me, since so many games have shoddy alt + tab when fullscreened, and don't include their own borderless windowed option.

Here is my own version of YABT with the change in borderless windowed style, in case editing it yourself sounds too confusing based off my explanation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0safyltazl2cedz

What, exactly, does YABT do? I use Splashtop to stream games from my desktop to my laptop and it doesn't work for D9 in fullscreen mode, but works in borderless windowed fullscreen - can I use it to make games that don't necesserily have the option to run that way? Do I have to use it after loading the game, or before? You may have saved my life, so please let me know :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
BNdC8f9.png

Was going to complain about it being paid again but I figured I could use the text preview and snatch that. It seems close enough for now though!

BNdC8f9.png

Was going to complain about it being paid again but I figured I could use the text preview and snatch that. It seems close enough for now though!

Oh yeah, that looks pretty damn good! Which one of the above did you end up using? SuperCondensed Bold? or Black?

Would really love to see an HD screenshot with the updated HUD once you're done.. Feels great to have contributed somehow :) I might even get the game myself to try out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh yeah, that looks pretty damn good! Which one of the above did you end up using? SuperCondensed Bold? or Black?

Would really love to see an HD screenshot with the updated HUD once you're done.. Feels great to have contributed somehow :) I might even get the game myself to try out.

That was with Oblique but it looks like that Kilburn font you posted first matches closest!
NmNgmeK.png

Going to down sample it from a bigger preview though since this is kinda wonky when I set it to around the size I was going to use.

Edit: Small test! I actually haven't left the red room this whole time I've made textures so I think I'll have to afterwards to see how the text for weapons looks in things.

Top Bottom