• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Durante

Great work! The interface resolution is one of the things that was still bugging me.

If we could aggregate the font and UI stuff in a single package I could link that with the next release post on the blog.

By the way, have any of you experienced any new crashes caused by DPfix with 0.7.1?
Some people are reporting crashes, but I find it really hard to determine whether they simply have crashing issues inherent in the game or whether it's anything I did.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'll package everything together when I'm done! It'd be done faster but font hunting is a big pain and What the Font? has turned out to be mostly useless.

Not crashes for me but I haven't left the Red Room at all so I'm not a good judge for that.
Only thing is enabling the new lighting pretty much kills the framerate enough to seem like the PS3 version for me, but that could just be my computer.

That was with Oblique but it looks like that Kilburn font you posted first matches closest!
NmNgmeK.png

Going to down sample it from a bigger preview though since this is kinda wonky when I set it to around the size I was going to use.

Edit: Small test! I actually haven't left the red room this whole time I've made textures so I think I'll have to afterwards to see how the text for weapons looks in things.

ibzEmrEHeIuCwW.png

How nice it is to finally have an HD-looking HUD.

golem09

Neo Member
I've seen that you were having this issue, been waiting for my chance to tell you my fix.

Do not use Durante's built in borderless windowed mode. Instead use his built in regular windowed mode.

Then, since regular windowed mode sucks, download autohotkey and "yabt" (yet another borderless toggle):
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/78903-yabt-yet-another-borderless-window-toggle/

Thanks man, you're a lifesaver!
And thanks for your script, the the original script had weird color codes everywhere that made me unable to actually load it up.
Just edited out the #NoTrayIcon, because I want to see when autoscript is on.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'll continue to help with the fonts as much as I can find the time to :)

It's much appreciated! I've been getting annoyed looking for fonts that match up, buy I'm just glad I found the one for the pause menu. I had stumbled across it completely by accident looking for a different one.

Foaloal

By the way, have any of you experienced any new crashes caused by DPfix with 0.7.1?

I was having the crash when driving cars, but of course that had nothing to do with DPFix.

After the usual restart before playing I played smoothly for an hour or so, doing driving, cutscenes, combat, etc.

The new shadows/reflections are quite nice and don't seem to be hurting performance, by the way.

Edit: I read over the crash reports on your blog, none of them seem like they could be caused by your fix to me, though the one guy does say that it works fine without your fix or on the older version. I'm not sure what you did to fix the add-on menu, but that's the only thing I could imagine would possibly cause any issues.

parabolee

Only issues I am having with 7.1 are the dual screen is the wrong size again when using a continue and the scenes when profiling are too small in the top left too.

Lighting looks amazing though! Such a massive improvement!

I'm right at the end of the game now, so I guess the controller patch will be after I finish it. But at least the HD textures will give me a great reason for another play through soon.

I just wish that the developers would enable a manual waypoint system so I don't have to rely on the map to naviaget through town. I did print out the map in the other OT thread. However, it would be nice if developers did this.

Also, I would kill for a mod to replace Deadly Premonition music with the music of Twin Peaks. I also would like the original David Young Henning model back

David_young_henning.jpg

silenttwn

Also, I would kill for a mod to replace Deadly Premonition music with the music of Twin Peaks. I also would like the original David Young Henning model back

David_young_henning.jpg

It's a matter of remaking the .xwb/xsb files in the game data. I did some googling on it and there's not much documentation on doing that it seems. Anyone have experience with it?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think you have to use XNA, specifically this tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC_ETl_L6I
Going to mess around with it this weekend.

AkuMifune

Banned
Screw that, we need the Dale Cooper model in-game!

And a Duchovny/Dennis model to replace Thomas ;)

Even better. Also, replace Zack with Diane and the tape recorder. LOL! This game really needs a mod kit. I want Twin Peaks the game!

As much as I love what Deadly Premonition morphed into, playing the original Twin Peaks vision of this game would be something amazing. Would the opening room have to be the Black Lodge then? My mind is reeling.

Is any of that stuff left in the files? Like that original character model?

Necrovex

I just wish that the developers would enable a manual waypoint system so I don't have to rely on the map to naviaget through town. I did print out the map in the other OT thread. However, it would be nice if developers did this.

David_young_henning.jpg

Why_not_both.jpg

Dem shadows

7F78CD5744141BE6C0C3E8CE98A8B5DF6C680056

I funny how the game seems to be performing better too, but I think that is just placebo. Loving the game. Only if someone did something for the load times the game would be absolutely perfect for me.

parabolee

Dem shadows

7F78CD5744141BE6C0C3E8CE98A8B5DF6C680056

I funny how the game seems to be performing better too, but I think that is just placebo. Loving the game. Only if someone did something for the load times the game would be absolutely perfect for me.

Load times are great. Just press ALT twice when it's loading :)

Hey Durante maybe I'm seeing this wrong but could it be that the reason why the graphics shimmer so much outside is because of a low res bloom pass? Or maybe DoF?

Is it possible to fix that as well?

Great work on the recent updates the game almost looks like a proper current-gen game now.

parabolee

Wut. My mind was blown when I noticed that you can skip the "going to car" animation with ESC. I gotta try this.

edit: didn't work for me :( not sure if serious.jpg

Yeah doesn't work in borderless windowed mode. But in full screen ALT pauses the game, even during cut scenes. And for some reason pausing and un pausing the load screens makes them load 10X faster.

Durante

Only issues I am having with 7.1 are the dual screen is the wrong size again when using a continue and the scenes when profiling are too small in the top left too.
I know about the profiling, but the dual screen after continue should be fixed in 0.7.1 (not in 0.7) -- at least it worked for me throughout 3 continues.

golem09

Neo Member
I also get the feeling that in loading screens, the longer you wait between the two ALT presses, the faster it loads afterwards.

EDIT:

Here you go Durante, a save before a profiling scene, just gotta go through 2 doors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s05ky03fwe4mgbx/dp chapter 12 profiling.sav

Btw durante you'll really want some melee weapons (infinite wrench) for that mission in your own save. This is the first appearance of the most dreaded, infamous DP enemy, the wall crawler. Takes forever to beat without the proper equipment and it's just a normal enemey, not a boss.

parabolee

I know about the profiling, but the dual screen after continue should be fixed in 0.7.1 (not in 0.7) -- at least it worked for me throughout 3 continues.

I updated to 0.7.1 last night and after a dual screen fail I restarted a few times and every time it had the issue. Maybe because I am later in the game?

Never even downloaded 0.7 because you had put the .1 out before I got home.

First time I have seen the issue too.

Stopping in to report that I've finished this last night. Using a mix of DPFix .3/.5/.7 throughout. The only real issue I had was crash entering the shack behind the art gallery but it wasn't DPFix related. So if you're on the fence go for it.

Though for the record I don't think it was a very good game.

parabolee

Stopping in to report that I've finished this last night. Using a mix of DPFix .3/.5/.7 throughout. The only real issue I had was crash entering the shack behind the art gallery but it wasn't DPFix related. So if you're on the fence go for it.

Though for the record I don't think it was a very good game.

Blasphemy!

In many ways it's true, it's not a good game. It's janky, poorly acted, buggy, very dated and kinda broken.

And yet there is something magical about how all those things combine with how weird the game is and how much charm the characters have that make the game something utterly magnificent.

No question that despite all its shortcomings, Deadly Premonition stands out as one of the most enjoyable and unforgettable titles of this generation. And I love it dearly.

Foaloal

Blasphemy!

In many ways it's true, it's not a good game. It's janky, poorly acted, buggy, very dated and kinda broken.

And yet there is something magical about how all those things combine with how weird the game is and how much charm the characters have that make the game something utterly magnificent.

No question that despite all its shortcomings, Deadly Premonition stands out as one of the most enjoyable and unforgettable titles of this generation. And I love it dearly.

I hate to use the cliche description, but DP is like the equivalent of the best b movies to me, which is only made funnier by the fact the game seems self aware of that and references many movies that could be considered to be b movies.

I find the voice acting to actually be pretty good for a video game. Especially York.

The animations and expressions etc are all janky and out of place, but the actual voices are pretty good.

parabolee

I find the voice acting to actually be pretty good for a video game. Especially York.

The animations and expressions etc are all janky and out of place, but the actual voices are pretty good.

Yes much of the voice acting is quite good, so I take that back. But even then some of the dialogue is off, like poorly translated.

Anyway I just finished the game. Loved it.

No doubt DPfix will give me good reason for another playthrough at some point.

jgminto

I wonder if it would be possible to reskin Grecotch back to its original white/music notes. It's odd that they changed it considering it's still referred to as white by Keith and I think the card is still the old design if I'm not mistaken.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wonder if it would be possible to reskin Grecotch back to its original white/music notes. It's odd that they changed it considering it's still referred to as white by Keith and I think the card is still the old design if I'm not mistaken.

Well I found the texture for it so it is possible to get a regular guitar that looks the same and throw it over.

I could use this one and edit the differences:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6136t-white-falcon-with-bigsby

Yeah doesn't work in borderless windowed mode. But in full screen ALT pauses the game, even during cut scenes. And for some reason pausing and un pausing the load screens makes them load 10X faster.

Welp, yeah, I switched to borderless fullscreen because driving kept crashing the game, good to know dude! I'll try it today.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Here is all the work I've done so far!
http://www.mediafire.com/?kaew8ts7f5dvbgl

ibz7k1CXyGm53i.png

Includes:
-High Res Font
-HD HUD + (NEW) Weapon Names
-HD Icons for Guitar and Grass Cutter (If you can find the texture for the others I can take care of those too if they don't look too good.)
-High Res Pause screen icons.

TODO:
-Rest of the Pause Menu text. (Item Menu only done and put off the rest while addressing the rest of these things.)
-Whatever anyone else can point out that is within my ability.

mjontrix

The main things to be done next after Durante has completely fixed this game would be texture mods and the loading times (the double ALT) - I'm guessing this is due to the game not being coded properly to take advantage of the higher speeds of HDDs and instead using the datarate of the 360/PS3 disk drive.

Jay Sosa

Keep up the good work, amazing what you guys accomplished so far. Any word if the people who actually want money for the game are working on making it run any better? Higher resolution is nice and all but what use is it if it's still riddled with bugs and no real pad support...

golem09

Neo Member
I hate to use the cliche description, but DP is like the equivalent of the best b movies to me, which is only made funnier by the fact the game seems self aware of that and references many movies that could be considered to be b movies.

That is what I read about the game when I preordered, and why I enjoyed it for the first hour. But even before the halfway mark I was just engrossed in the characters and the story, without any need for b-movie humor. And then I just loved the ending. So for me it started as a b-movie, but ended as just a very good game.

It works! Awesome.

You could also just use the workaround by Foaloal for borderless windowed mode.

Is there a way to change or swap the character model? I really do not like this guy.

201391013442287507580.jpg

Anyone else will be ok.

tumblr_inline_mj2h2okOfS1qz4rgp.jpg

I'll try this tomorrow: now that I experienced the skipping load times thing, I can't live without it, but I can't play fullscreen because the game started crashing after the lumbermill scene EVERY time I drive at random points. Hopefully this works.

Also is it the DPFix or the game or the non-fullscreen game, but the shadows of things were disappearing randomly in the art gallery. Looked weird.

Also spoilers for 2-1:

As someone who has been into punk rock all my life, York mentioning being a hardcore punk rocker in high school was an awesome moment

Durante

Also is it the DPFix or the game or the non-fullscreen game, but the shadows of things were disappearing randomly in the art gallery. Looked weird.
This is a bug in the game, happens with and without DPfix. Certainly didn't make testing the shadowing stuff any easier.

This is a bug in the game, happens with and without DPfix. Certainly didn't make testing the shadowing stuff any easier.

Hmm I see, and I can certainly see how that made your job harder. But it was totally worth it, the shadows look (disappearing or not!) great now.

Durante, I'm using my m11x-r2 and the performance is awful when I use DPFix; framerates in the single digits, but solid 30 without the fix. Is the Optimus issue still a problem? When I run the game the system claims to be using the Nvidia GPU, but I can't understand why the performance drops so severely otherwise.

Top Bottom