• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

You can do it was the alt key if border-less full screen isn't enabled, but you also can't alt-tab away without crashing the game. (I don't think this happens in regular windowed mode.)

Thanks :) Just downloaded a save file from a couple of pages back. Which file do you place it in? Placing it in the "savedata" folder doesn't seem to make a difference.

Durante

Can those who experience problems please test in the starting red room? (Back up your save game!)

At worst I'll probably have to distribute a debug build.

s_mirage

Can those who experience problems please test in the starting red room? (Back up your save game!)

At worst I'll probably have to distribute a debug build.

The lighting flickers, although not as severely as elsewhere, and the bump mapping is missing.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
In case there was any doubt:

az3LPzW.png

Controller support, baby.

Would be nice if they gave an actual ETA.

s_mirage

Thanks for testing. Just for the record, was that using 720p and everything off? I'll put up a debug build when I have time, hopefully tomorrow.

It actually wasn't but I've just retested at those settings and it makes no difference.

I don't know if this will make any sense, but at points the problem almost feels like Z-fighting, except with the position of lights being the problem rather than polygons/textures.

Thanks :) Just downloaded a save file from a couple of pages back. Which file do you place it in? Placing it in the "savedata" folder doesn't seem to make a difference.

Nevermind, fixed this issue. However i just ran into another very odd issue. In the gallery i can't save. No matter how many times i try to press "E" in front of the phone when prompted it doesn't recognize it (or "C" for that matter) but when i use it in the menu those two buttons work perfectly. Any reason why this could be happening?

Hoping that patch fixes controller support, I'd really love to be playing this and kb/m is not very sleeping-baby-on-my-lap friendly. Stupid Nvidia and their crappy Optimus for jerks.

What are the odds the "patch" they're going to release is just the DPfix once it's finished?

I may have read somewhere that Rising Star had contacted Durante about incorporating his work in a patch, but it could have just been a writer letting their imagination run wild since I've not seen Durante himself mention it. If they did incorporate his work I hope they do so in such a way that the Optimus issue I'm having doesn't occur, and that he's properly recognised as the author of the patch.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thanks for testing. Just for the record, was that using 720p and everything off? I'll put up a debug build when I have time, hopefully tomorrow.

Did it on mine and it just seems to look as it would if I didn't have DPfix on, but it refuses to size the window to 720 as opposed to 1080 even if the dimensions are set to do so.

Durante

I may have read somewhere that Rising Star had contacted Durante about incorporating his work in a patch, but it could have just been a writer letting their imagination run wild since I've not seen Durante himself mention it. If they did incorporate his work I hope they do so in such a way that the Optimus issue I'm having doesn't occur, and that he's properly recognised as the author of the patch.
I did have some email contact with them, but nothing concrete has come out of it yet. It's unclear whether a D3D interceptor is even suitable in principle for "official" inclusion in a game distribution.

I did have some email contact with them, but nothing concrete has come out of it yet. It's unclear whether a D3D interceptor is even suitable in principle for "official" inclusion in a game distribution.

Them being the actual devs and having to access to actual game source code, couldn't they just expose those settings in the patch wihout having to use the convoluted methods you had to employ to get your interceptor to work?

E.g. the Shadow map resolutions, reflection resolutions etc. It should be trivial for them.

Durante

Them being the actual devs and having to access to actual game source code, couldn't they just expose those settings in the patch wihout having to use the convoluted methods you had to employ to get your interceptor to work?

E.g. the Shadow map resolutions, reflection resolutions etc. It should be trivial for them.
You'd think so.

Carm

I don't seem to be having the issues reported. Dunno about AA though since it's only at 2, don't notice in game but I may see some on the big map on the menu

DPFIX options I'm using

internal rest at 1920x1080
aa at 2
aa type smaa
filtering at 2 x16
shadows shadowmapscale 2
improveshadowprecision 1
reflections at 4
improveDOF 1
Ambient Occlusion off
texture overrider on

My system
Win 7 64 bit
AMD Phenxom x4 940 3ghz
460 GTX 1gb
Driver build 331.65

I tried every combination of possible options and I still have the issue, it has to be in the code itself

I don't think you'll agree and I'd understand that but would you like me to check your source-code and test it on my setup, I'm very familiar with DsFix already which I studied a lot while building my alternate SweetFX injector. I guess Dpfix is not very different is it

Ruff time today, I was in chapter 12 and spent 40 minutes trying to get the game NOT crash all the time randomly. Then figured that I just have to endure the load times and play borderless windowed fullscreen. But I had installed DPFix 0.8 in hopes of getting it work, but that version caused everything to flash like lightning all the time. So I played one drive that way, saved, installed 0.7.1. and hoped that the game would work in fullscreen by now but nope, still the same. So I just spent sometime doing sidequests and hoping that it would work tomorrow.

I bought the game for my brother yesterday who hasn't had a single crash yet

Durante

I don't think you'll agree and I'd understand that but would you like me to check your source-code and test it on my setup, I'm very familiar with DsFix already which I studied a lot while building my alternate SweetFX injector. I guess Dpfix is not very different is it
Why wouldn't I agree? I didn't release the source for DSfix because I'm a fan of closed source projects. That said, where's the repository for your injector? :p

I'll try to get it up on GitHub tomorrow.

Ok this is really weird. I can't save at any phone at all. The option is always greyed out. Anyone know why this might be the case or if there are any alternate ways to save the game? :/

Persona7

Banned
Damn...I would have thought the patch would have been well in development already it sounds like they didn't even start it yet.

popyea

Ok this is really weird. I can't save at any phone at all. The option is always greyed out. Anyone know why this might be the case or if there are any alternate ways to save the game? :/

Did you play through Chapter Select? If I remember correctly it doesn't let you save until you finish the chapter, and then it merges any progress you made into your current Chapter.

Anyone else having weird issues with game speed? The entire beginning sequence after the car crash, up until you unlock the 2nd gate was playing at essentially double/triple speed, then it stopped for about 15 minutes, and then it's been on and off since then. It's only in-game stuff, cutscenes work fine, and the music never skips or speeds up. I'm using DPFix 0.71 and the HD hud replacement, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I had the light flickering issue on 0.8 at one point. I was just quickly playing through a section (first trip to the hospital). But haven't had it since, I don't know if just a reboot fixed it or something.

Only issue I'm having is when profiling the video plays in a small box in the top left corner, I assume it is a resolution thing since I'm playing at 1440p. Not really a big deal since I don't really pay attention to the profiling stuff anyhow.

Harlock

Durante, do you think that SteamOS will be a good thing or will make more difficult to use non official patches and modes?

Durante, do you think that SteamOS will be a good thing or will make more difficult to use non official patches and modes?

I'm not Durante, but if SteamOS is truly just the Steam frontend/Steam Big Picture Mode like it's been revealed to be so far (by gaming outlets) with no backend file explorer access like in any other standard OS (Windows/Linux/OSX etc), I'd imagine it'd definitely be a lot more harder (probably impossible) to use unofficial mods that are not sanctioned by the Steam Workshop.

Ruff time today, I was in chapter 12 and spent 40 minutes trying to get the game NOT crash all the time randomly. Then figured that I just have to endure the load times and play borderless windowed fullscreen. But I had installed DPFix 0.8 in hopes of getting it work, but that version caused everything to flash like lightning all the time. So I played one drive that way, saved, installed 0.7.1. and hoped that the game would work in fullscreen by now but nope, still the same. So I just spent sometime doing sidequests and hoping that it would work tomorrow.

I bought the game for my brother yesterday who hasn't had a single crash yet

I can't play the game anymore, no matter what it just crashes after random time. I tried:

- fullscreen with DPFix
- windowed with DPFix
- borderless fullscreen with DP fix
- fullscreen without DPFix
- windowed without DPFix
- Windows 98/XP/7 compatibility mode
- verifying steam cache
- skipping load times with ALT ALT
- not skipping loadtimes with ALT ALT
- all the above combinations with and without Autohotkey+YABF

and nothing, nothing works. Usually it crashes when I start driving a car, twice it crashed at EXACTLY the same moment on car "Talk", sometimes it crashed while running. Tried for 40 minutes to no avail.

What a bummer. I love the game and want to finish it.

PetriP-TNT, you forgot the one thing that will actually fix crashes; restarting your PC.

Hmm, I am not sure if I let the computer shutdown (everytime it crashes fullscreen, I have to lock the computer, then unlock it, press shutdown and smash ESC hoping it wouldn't turn off but most likely does). Yesterday I did boot multiple times after crashes and it didn't work though. But yeah, I'll try that one more time. (Not to mention Windows 8.1. doesn't really shut down unless it can be forced somehow)

Hmm, I am not sure if I let the computer shutdown (everytime it crashes fullscreen, I have to lock the computer, then unlock it, press shutdown and smash ESC hoping it wouldn't turn off but most likely does). Yesterday I did boot multiple times after crashes and it didn't work though. But yeah, I'll try that one more time. (Not to mention Windows 8.1. doesn't really shut down unless it can be forced somehow)

Can you type shutdown /r /t 00 in Run or an elevated command window?

Guri

Shutting down works like hibernating, but restarting works like it did on previous Windows versions. You can also disable fast boot and it shuts down like before.

Durante

The source code for DPfix is now up on github.

I always planned to do this, but I decided to do so earlier rather than later for a few reasons:
  • 0.8 works perfectly for me, but causes problems on many other systems, and it’s very hard to “remotely” debug issues.
  • I’ll be really busy with work the rest of this week and throughout next week, so I can’t spend as much time on Deadly Premonition (or anything really) as I would like.
  • Boulotaur2024 asked for it :p
Now, when I released DSfix I was a bit disappointed by the lack of external contributions. There were a few brave souls, and I’m very grateful, but overall 95% of the code in DSfix is still written by me and untouched.

I think the problem was at least partly a lack of documentation and guidelines on my part, so I just spent over 2 hours writing up a developer README for DPfix. Have a look if you are thinking about contributing, or if you simply want to get a better idea about how Deadly Premonition works or how I create these interceptors.

Considering that it's Linux in the end, it will be very hard to lock down completely, even if Valve were so inclined. Unlike (future versions of) Windows. So I approve of that.

Pfft, Scandinavian Pop > JPOP for coding musics.

Yeah I was assuming they'd be using your work in a native, non-intercepted fashion :)

Durante

Pfft, Scandinavian Pop > JPOP for coding musics.
Ha! At least one person read that sermon.

Yeah I was assuming they'd be using your work in a native, non-intercepted fashion :)
The thing is, probably 80% of my work is only necessary because it's intercepted and not native. The vast majority of my code deals with interception, redirection and trying to figure out what the engine is doing at any given moment. If you wanted to do the same thing with access to the code base you'd approach it entirely differently (and with a lot less effort required I'd say). I guess what you could do is ask me about all the things that need changing to e.g. adjust the resolution -- and then do it far more easily.

Parsnip

I can't help out as my coding expertise is poor at the best of days, but I'm rather curious about all of this in general. So I hope you guys keep discussing it here, keeping the rest of us in the loop. :)

I think I got it ! I'm not sure I understand all of this 100% but the two faulty lines were located in the "fix pixel offset" portion. Running the log I had noticed that you could alternatively get this :
Code:
[B]lastVp [/B]resolution: 3840x2400
~      -1.00000000      -1.00000000      -0.00034722       0.99941665
~       1.00000000      -1.00000000       0.99965280       0.99941665
~       1.00000000       1.00000000       0.99965280      -0.00058333
~      -1.00000000       1.00000000      -0.00034722      -0.00058333
Which seems correct... But also this :
Code:
[B]lastVp [/B]resolution: 1680x1050
~      -1.00000000      -1.00000000      -0.00034722       0.99941665
~       1.00000000      -1.00000000       0.99965280       0.99941665
~       1.00000000       1.00000000       0.99965280      -0.00058333
~      -1.00000000       1.00000000      -0.00034722      -0.00058333

Which seems weird first because the viewport isn't supposed to alternate between the render resolution and the display resolution... and also because it is bound to make the following calculation incorrect :
Code:
data[i+2] -= 2.0f/lastVp.Width * (std::max)(0.0f, (lastVp.Width-1280.0f)/lastVp.Width);
data[i+3] -= 2.0f/lastVp.Height * (std::max)(0.0f, (lastVp.Height-720.0f)/lastVp.Height);

So what I did is just add another check to the following condition to make sure the fix pixel offset portion only processes the right viewport :
Code:
	if((StreamNumber == 0 && OffsetInBytes == 0 && Stride == 16)
[B]	&& (lastVp.Width == (int)(Settings::get().getRenderWidth()) && lastVp.Height == (int)(Settings::get().getRenderHeight()))[/B]) {

And it apparently does the trick, no more flashing.
Here is the fixed DLL for DPfix08 if you want to test it out for yourself

EDIT : you might be right about the fact that the outlining code only works at your 2560x1440 res Durante, I still see some outlining around models I think

Oh right, didn't think that far ahead. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Restarting worked, played for an hour until the game crashed on certain part that seems to be really crash prone (not to mention C12 spoilers

Nick car not starting to move on the tailing part, I totally saw that coming
Had to do that part again anyway after crashing at that ladder)

Top Bottom