• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Couple shots with DpFix 0.8 + SweetFX :
clipboard-1r6agt.jpg

clipboard-5ocdxh.jpg

clipboard-34ks4o.jpg

clipboard-1uzsxh.jpg

clipboard-1wssri.jpg
Hope you'll get rewarded for your work by the devs in some ways Durante

1024x576.resizedimage

My brother has this problem, DPFix0.8 (1920x1080)

Btw, should the profiling scenes have "bugged" (ie. gradient stripes) in place of the film strips when you don't have the correct clue for the scene? (Or black like in that scene?). My profiling scenes are running in correct resolution, but that always happens.

Durante

I managed to finish 0.9 today.

Changes:

• Fixed the issues introduced on some systems by 0.8 (which were caused by the haphazard way I tried to fix the offset issue)
  • Fixed Video size during profiling (this was a bug related to improving the reflections introduced in 0.7)
  • Really fixed the pixel offset error, at all resolutions
  • Added high quality “VSSAO2″ option (see below)
  • Adjusted windowed mode so that it’s possible to move the window

Nice AO:
screenshot_2013-11-15z2ci0.jpg

Thank you Durante.
Best broken game I've ever played. It reminds me of Nomad Soul/Omikron, game was really broken/unpolished/stupid at times but it still felt like it had that soul and atmosphere I couldn't find anywhere.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thank you Durante.
Best broken game I've ever played. It reminds me of Nomad Soul/Omikron, game was really broken/unpolished/stupid at times but it still felt like it had that soul and atmosphere I couldn't find anywhere.

Hey Boulotaur I've got a quick question I was hoping you could answer.

Have you done anything in particular to the SMAA in your version of SweetFx that would mean it would be a benefit to use it in place of DSFix's current implementation of SMAA?

I've found that even on the highest quality, the SMAA adds really odd shimmery white lines to the edges of most things.

If you have done anything, would I be able to just drag your SMAA.h and SMAA_DX9.fx into DSFix's shader folder and it would be then use your implementation of SMAA?

Durante

Are you sure that the effect you are referring to is related to the AA and not a result of the 1 pixel offset issue which was fixed in 0.9?

Have you done anything in particular to the SMAA in your version of SweetFx that would mean it would be a benefit to use it in place of DSFix's current implementation of SMAA?
I've found that even on the highest quality, the SMAA adds really odd shimmery white lines to the edges of most things.
No no I just used Jorge Jimenez untouched implementation -like Durante did-
odd shimmery white lines to the edges ? Never seen that. then again I didn't play Dark Souls much. It has nothing to do with SMAA implementation afaik anyway

On-topic, my game crashes (not dpfix related) right after loading a save file from Episde 2 Chapter 9 (right after you first meet Diane at the gallery)

sanstitrep1d2g.jpg

1) Here is the savefile. Does it crash for you as well ?
2) Does anyone have a savefile close to where I am, otherwise... well I'm screwed. Gotta wait for the patch

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No no I just used Jorge Jimenez untouched implementation -like Durante did-
odd shimmery white lines to the edges ? Never seen that. then again I didn't play Dark Souls much. It has nothing to do with SMAA implementation afaik anyway

Alright so sort of yes - sort of no but all around weird.

When I was playing, toggling SMAA off would get rid of the white shimmery lines and toggling it on would make them appear again.

I play in 3D, so I had a 3D vision fix installed alongside DSFix. I decided to do a totally fresh install so cleared out all of the injectors and only readded DSFix and now everything looks totally fine.

I guess there was some kind of conflict between the 3D injector and the DSFix one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well less busy tomorrow so I'll be trying to finish up some parts of the UI soon, but I gotta say I'm trying to push DPfix into giving me the best quality it can since it runs better when I do that for some reason. (I do not mind a prettier smooth game at all!) It looks like doing the overkill shadow resolution crashes the game once you click "New Game" mid-loading screen.

Durante

Well less busy tomorrow so I'll be trying to finish up some parts of the UI soon, but I gotta say I'm trying to push DPfix into giving me the best quality it can since it runs better when I do that for some reason. (I do not mind a prettier smooth game at all!) It looks like doing the overkill shadow resolution crashes the game once you click "New Game" mid-loading screen.
It works for me, but it's possible that it crashes depending on drivers/hardware. Also, it doesn't actually look better than "2" in 99% of the cases, I called it "overkill" for a reason ;)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It works for me, but it's possible that it crashes depending on drivers/hardware. Also, it doesn't actually look better than "2" in 99% of the cases, I called it "overkill" for a reason ;)

Well since the game ran better with me maxing everything I figured it was worth a shot for better IQ and performance! The game does look really slick super sampled though.

Durante

Well since the game ran better with me maxing everything I figured it was worth a shot for better IQ and performance! The game does look really slick super sampled though.
If you want to challenge your GPU just supersample with VSSAO2 enabled (and set to scale 1). Just doing that gets me from 60 to 100% GPU usage :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you want to challenge your GPU just supersample with VSSAO2 enabled (and set to scale 1). Just doing that gets me from 60 to 100% GPU usage :p

I've actually had that set already when I upgraded to the latest one and it runs/looks great. I'm kinda confused about it running better the more I push it though.

biosquid2

Neo Member
Amazing stuff on this thread. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for your fixes, Durante.

DPfix 0.9.1 feedback:

-AA in the Pause Menu is broken (InfiniteNine mentioned this since DPfix 0.8)
-AO (both types) works in some areas but not in others. E.g., it works in SWERY 65' but not in the art gallery
-With AO enabled at any level, AA is broken during cutscenes and may be broken elsewhere
-Halos are still present for me. It seems the only location where halos are never present is in the art gallery.

The game is being run in 3840x2160 downsampled to 1920x1080. I'm using a GTX 680 w/ 331.65 WHQL drivers.

Ugh, the game has all of a sudden gotten crashy on me. I get into a car and drive for anywhere between 5-15 seconds and the game freezes. Doesn't seem to be related to DPFix, happened on both .91 and .8.

Durante

Amazing stuff on this thread. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for your fixes, Durante.

DPfix 0.9.1 feedback:

-AA in the Pause Menu is broken (InfiniteNine mentioned this since DPfix 0.8)
Yeah, I know about this. It's probably a WONTFIX, since I really don't care enough about the IQ in the pause menu to make a separate path for it.
-AO (both types) works in some areas but not in others. E.g., it works in SWERY 65' but not in the art gallery
This is both surprising and unsurprising. Unsurprising because the art gallery uses an entirely separate rendering path from the rest of the game, and surprising because I specifically used the art gallery to test AO. Will have a look at some point.
-With AO enabled at any level, AA is broken during cutscenes and may be broken elsewhere
I never noticed this, and it shouldn't happen -- if AO works AA should work and the other way around, they use the same triggers.
-Halos are still present for me. It seems the only location where halos are never present is in the art gallery.
Yes, I noticed this today to my great chagrin when downsampling. It appears that only resolutions up to and including 2560x1440 are fixed.

Thanks for the detailed report, it makes trying to isolate issues and compare with my own results much easier.

I'm currently not planning to add any further features and just focus on bugfixing for 1.0. But I don't have much time this week, so it may be a while until the release. Luckily, it looks like 0.9 works "well enough", with the bugs reported so far being restricted to visual enhancements not being applied uniformly.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Just a curiosity I've had since DSfix, don't bother answering if you don't want to. :lol
Why is it called VSSAO and in what is different from normal SSAO? I tried googling and I didn't find anything about it (all the results are from sites reposting a DSfix changelog).

And I also wanted to thank you for all the effort you're putting in this!

biosquid2

Neo Member
I'm currently not planning to add any further features and just focus on bugfixing for 1.0. But I don't have much time this week, so it may be a while until the release. Luckily, it looks like 0.9 works "well enough", with the bugs reported so far being restricted to visual enhancements not being applied uniformly.
Not a problem! Downsampling from 4K seems to reduce the aliasing in the Pause Menu enough for it to not be too distracting.

• The cutscene I was referring to triggers right after questioning Diane. It happens outside the art gallery (I don't think AO is properly applied here either), and York's suit is clearly aliased to hell w/ AO enabled, but when AO is off SMAA works wonders.
Thanks for DPfix 0.9.1, it's definitely worth the jump just for the improved reflections and DOF.

This game still instantly crashes whenever I use the fix. Wish I knew what was up :(

It doesn't crash anymore when i rename the direct 3d 9 dll but yea.

EDIT: Nevermind, i think I FINALLY got it hah.

On-topic, my game crashes (not dpfix related) right after loading a save file from Episde 2 Chapter 9 (right after you first meet Diane at the gallery)

sanstitrep1d2g.jpg

1) Here is the savefile. Does it crash for you as well ?
2) Does anyone have a savefile close to where I am, otherwise... well I'm screwed. Gotta wait for the patch
Could anyone help with that ? I can't play the game anymore because of that.
If the above save doesn't crash for you could you make another save later on and upload it here ? I can't find any save file for pc online so I'm stuck :/

EDIT : nevermind I fixed it, somebody was having the same problem earlier in this thread. A fixed save file is available here :
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88354705&postcount=869

EDIT : this trick could be helpful too if you don't want to use someone else save

biosquid2

Neo Member

sanstitrep1d2g.jpg
That reminds me, Durante. My aforementioned cutscene can be accessed anytime by replaying Episode 2, Chapter 9. If you need to log the calls made in order to resolve the issue w/ AA not being applied only when AO is enabled--though AO doesn't work here either despite being turned on--the cutscene immediately plays out when replaying this part.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Decided to finally try leaving the Red Room and things look pretty nice outside of it! I keep on trying to use Resident Evil Revelation PC controls in it so that throws me off sometimes.
ibu285qymuixQU.png

The car fire area not killing the frame rate is a nice thing in this version.

biosquid2

Neo Member
Alright guys. So there is no official SLI profile for Deadly Premonition, as is expected for a game like this. However, Kingping1 from the GeForce forums has found perfectly working SLI compatibility bits:

0x42502005

Simply create a new game profile with NVIDIA Inspector called Deadly Premonition (or whatever you want to name it) and add DP.exe to the profile. Then enter in the SLI compatibility bits; make sure to enter it for DX9, since this is not a modern DX10 or DX11 game. Apply the changes and exit NVIDIA Inspector. Deadly Premonition is now SLI ready.

Downsampling to 1080 from 4K as well as maxing out Durante's graphical enhancements, I'm still able to consistently get 100+ fps out of my GTX 680s in SLI. I would still recommend capping your fps to 60 with Adaptive VSync because the game is designed for it. Some of you already know how York turns into the Flash when fps goes above 60. The only location this doesn't happen with extremely high fps is the Art Gallery; it is truly a bizarre place with a mind of its own. So if you have a beefy SLI rig and want this game to take advantage of it, it can! Guaranteed solid 60 fps virtually all the time.

iRV3UuwOC831a.png

ibgUThqVFBnsrT.png

Dineren

Banned
Out of curiosity, has anything been mentioned about reducing the loading times? I timed how long it takes for me to peek in a window and get back to gameplay outside and it took almost five minutes. Is there some fix I've missed for this? It really discourages me from doing anything aside from the the main mission when it takes so long to load.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Out of curiosity, has anything been mentioned about reducing the loading times? I timed how long it takes for me to peek in a window and get back to gameplay outside and it took almost five minutes. Is there some fix I've missed for this? It really discourages me from doing anything aside from the the main mission when it takes so long to load.

Apparently it doesn't happen to Durante so he can't fix it or pinpoint the reason , so someone else will have to take on that mantle.

biosquid2

Neo Member
Apparently it doesn't happen to Durante so he can't fix it or pinpoint the reason , so someone else will have to take on that mantle.

I believe no one running this game on the PC platform is immune to this. I think it is happening w/ Durante as well, maybe not as severely. If you monitor the fps of the game during loading screens, you can see that it just stalls at whatever fps the game was at when the load screen started. Pressing the Alt key once brings fps down to 0 (if you wait several seconds, you can see it gradually drop down to 0). Pressing Alt again thereafter brings fps back up from 0, and the game finishes loading immediately. It seems the game tends to stall on loading screens for PC and needs a kick in the ass often. Using Alt to bypass this issue when peaking through windows is a must.

Use the ALT-method to speed up loadtimes to couple of seconds. Some say that only pressing ALT twice does the trick but at least for me I have to toggle it until the "highlight" in "NOW LOADING" speeds up to 10x speed.

Note that this only works when you are not using Durantes Borderless Fullscreen

biosquid2

Neo Member
Use the ALT-method to speed up loadtimes to couple of seconds. Some say that only pressing ALT twice does the trick but at least for me I have to toggle it until the "highlight" in "NOW LOADING" speeds up to 10x speed.

Note that this only works when you are not using Durantes Borderless Fullscreen

You only need to press the Alt key twice. Press it once to pause the game AND wait 2 to 3 seconds for the frame rate to drop down to 0. Then press Alt again for the frame rate to rise back up and finish loading immediately.

The "Now Loading" graphic will speed up every time you successfully do this. I think it's due to the Alt key not only pausing on the particular frame, but also blocking new frames from being output by the GPU. When you press Alt the second time, it brings the fps back up from 0 and quickly spews out all the frames that have been building up prior; it's like the game is trying to catch up. I'm pretty sure the Alt key was never intended by the developers to be used in-game by the end-user. Notice how if you use it to pause a cutscene, the audio will go out of sync with the video for the remaining entirety of the scene. The longer the time is between the two Alt presses, the more out of sync it gets.

It is not your conventional pause button.

biosquid2

Neo Member
There are highly repeatable crashes exclusive to DPfix 0.9.1, as rolling back to DPfix 0.7.1 frees users of the problems I'm about to mention. After turning off all graphical enhancements, the crashes still persist. The problems may be resulting from how Durante tried to fix the pixel offset issue, or how he tried to re-fix the issue after users had trouble w/ 0.8. It takes some time for the bug to trigger. However, it can be sped up by accessing the Map in the Pause Menu and pressing Space or Ctrl to repeatedly cycle through the Map target areas. I think it may trigger even faster if you fast travel with the radio to any other location, and then repeatedly cycle though the Map. Here are the symptoms for when the bug is triggered:

• After quickly cycling through the Map target areas and triggering the bug, you will notice the Map bug out (it will no longer show your location, but rather a vertical and horizontal list of icons used for the map legend)
  • The mini-map bugs out (you can no longer see the terrain you're on, only small phone and building icons)
  • After exiting the Pause Menu and re-entering it, the horizontal list of icons to the bottom right will either bug out with fragments of textures or black out entirely

After experiencing these 3 symptoms, you will eventually hear a Windows Error sound followed by a crash. The crash will not be far off; in some cases it happens immediately after experiencing the symptoms.

Here are the images (after the bug is triggered, I can no longer take screenshots of the game using my system, so most of these are shitty but serve their purpose):

PBLyuAO.jpg

xFhdXev.jpg

lYzR8rP.jpg

31CGUL4.png

Ugh, now the game crashes in Chapter 3/16 after
Leaving Harry for the second time
and even restarting doesn't help. Also the game won't even start without DPFix and verifying the Steam cache is needed after re-enabling it.

Unhandled exception at 0x005E169D in DP.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x24E90FEC.

:/

biosquid2

Neo Member
Ugh, now the game crashes in Chapter 3/16 after
Leaving Harry for the second time
and even restarting doesn't help. Also the game won't even start without DPFix and verifying the Steam cache is needed after re-enabling it.
Use DPfix 0.7.1; DPfix 0.9.1 is extremely glitchy. The game not starting without the fix should not be happening. DPfix doesn't ever touch the game files. Is the game crashing after a cutscene? If yes, skip it with Esc or E.

Use DPfix 0.7.1; DPfix 0.9.1 is extremely glitchy. The game not starting without the fix should not be happening. DPfix doesn't ever touch the game files. Is the game crashing after a cutscene? If yes, skip it with Esc or E.

I am using DPFix 0.7.1. It crashes during the transition from cutscene to gameplay, yeah, but it crashes regardless of skipping or not. I'll try it tomorrow and it will have fixed itself, I am sure.

biosquid2

Neo Member
I am using DPFix 0.7.1. It crashes during the transition from cutscene to gameplay, yeah, but it crashes regardless of skipping or not. I'll try it tomorrow and it will have fixed itself, I am sure.
Maybe I'm lucky, but I played through the entire campaign and have never experienced a crash due to the stock game EXCEPT for the crash that happens after the cutscene in the shed by the art gallery; I believe no one is immune to this as well. The only way to bypass that crash is by skipping the cutscene before it finishes playing out.

InfiniteNine reported in a previous post that the game crashes with the shadow map resolution set to 4 (8x shadow map resolution). I can confirm this. I also agree with Durante that it works. However, with the overkill shadows, the game will become extremely unstable and prone to crashing at various points in the game. If you want higher resolution shadows, use the setting of 2 instead of 4 (you barely sacrifice any quality).

Durante, I suggest removing the option of setting 8x shadow map resolution since it's more trouble than it's worth.

By the way, Win98 compatibility+fullscreen mode fixed that (switched back to "normal" mode after saving and it crashed again after first cutscene in the same way so I permaswitched to Win98 mode). Win98 seems to perform much worse on my machine though, very choppy, maybe it's just the fullscreen or just placebo.

biosquid2

Neo Member
By the way, Win98 compatibility+fullscreen mode fixed that (switched back to "normal" mode after saving and it crashed again after first cutscene in the same way so I permaswitched to Win98 mode). Win98 seems to perform much worse on my machine though, very choppy, maybe it's just the fullscreen or just placebo.
I play in fullscreen unless playing in windows mode is necessary to circumvent a crash. Windows 98 compatibility mode may fix some issues in some cases. For me, it made the game launch far quicker. It's not a placebo, Windows 98 compatibility performs much worse on my system configuration, and it also induced more crashing during random segments of the game.

Almost finished the game. The ending part has been brought a lot of attention, particularly to the artstyle (SPOILER obviously) :

Quite a fantastic game story-wise, very elaborated and emotional contrarily to 90% of those AAA games nowadays.
Weird and shocking. Japanese developpers are still the best in this area. Oh and thank you Durante for making this bearable to look at.

Also it crossed my mind that I could maybe upscale the textures with a high quality upscaler like NNEDI. I did manage to dump the textures from these big DPSerial.00x files with a script but they are in an obscure .xpc format which I have no idea how to convert to .dds. So I gave up :/

Top Bottom