• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Durante

Also it crossed my mind that I could maybe upscale the textures with a high quality upscaler like NNEDI. I did manage to dump the textures from these big DPSerial.00x files with a script but they are in an obscure .xpc format which I have no idea how to convert to .dds. So I gave up :/
Why are you not using the DPfix built in texture dump/override functionality?

Maybe I'm lucky, but I played through the entire campaign and have never experienced a crash due to the stock game EXCEPT for the crash that happens after the cutscene in the shed by the art gallery;
You are lucky. Both times when I thought I had introduced a repeatable crash in DPfix and just couldn't find it I finally renamed the .dll and figured out it was actually the vanilla game which was crashing. In both cases it was fixed by a reboot.

This was much easier when working with Dark Souls, as when that crashed I could be 100% certain that it was my fault.

Almost finished the game. The ending part has been brought a lot of attention, particularly to the artstyle (SPOILER obviously) :

Quite a fantastic game story-wise, very elaborated and emotional contrarily to 90% of those AAA games nowadays.
Weird and shocking. Japanese developpers are still the best in this area. Oh and thank you Durante for making this bearable to look at.

DP is not 'so bad it's good'. It's a genuinely great story. Very emotional indeed, with lots of humour.

biosquid2

Neo Member
DP is not 'so bad it's good'. It's a genuinely great story. Very emotional indeed, with lots of humour.
Too true! My current top 3 games are The Witcher 2, Deadly Premonition, and Metro: Last Light. Of them, Deadly Premonition is by far my favorite. I love how every major NPC has a set schedule (I followed Lily Ingram to the bank when she wasn't in the Milk Barn and spotted Thomas dancing by himself in his apartment). The soundtrack and narrative is superb, and more than makes up for its shortcomings in gameplay and graphical fidelity.

As a movie aficionado myself, I love hearing York referencing films while driving.

As a movie aficionado myself, I love hearing York referencing films while driving.

This and combine that with being very into hardcore punk the game has had more antoniobanderas.gif moments than most of the games I have ever played and those were OUTSIDE the main plot. Agreed with the other points. Like I said in another topic, it's this generations Majoras Mask meets Silent Hill 2.

Why are you not using the DPfix built in texture dump/override functionality?
Because I'd completely forgotten about it :D
That said I've now successfully resized a couple of textures into x2 their original size with NNEDI3... and this is what happens once fed into dpfix texture override (fbf1f608.png) :

sanstitreuob4s.jpg

There you go, emo York !
I don't know if it's a transparency issue or something. I tried different methods but none of them worked. I give up. The game is fine as it is anyway

EDIT : ok no more transparency issues however I can't see any improvement at all -on York texture work anyway- so this is a bit pointless. Upscaling has never been a way to add detail anyway although It might look a tad better on smaller (256x256) tiles like grass or floor textures

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
they just released a patch ... they added X360 controller support (along with button prompts)!!!! HELL YEAH!!! :) finally!

lashman

No "official" resolution fix though?

nope, afraid not ... but still - at least they added controller support ... that was pretty much the only thing that held me back from playing this game :) and by the way - what a way to overdo stuff - they added the controller support for the launcher as well xD

The PC DVD arrived the other day to take place with it's bretheren. Something so right can't be wrong :)

Now the patches and things are coming together it's almost time to crack the seal and get playing! Much appreciation to all those in this thread, you're stars the lot of you!

The process is now called "TO-DO: <file description>" LOL

Controller does work in the launcher, but the game doesn't get past the launcher for me

lashman

... aaaaaand here's the full changelog:

Hi everyone,

There’s now a patch available for Deadly Premonition: Director’s Cut offering the following fixes:

Version 1.01
- Added full controller support for game.
- Added controller selector to launcher (note: controller button in launcher must be selected for controllers to work in-game).
- Enabled game to use multiple processor cores. This should improve performance and loading times on computers with multi-core processors.
- Fixed case where "All Achievements Unlocked" achievement was not unlocking for players. Players who have met the conditions will also now be awarded the achievement when they load their saved game.
- Alt button no longer pauses game.
- Fixed looping sound error when player stopped moving after stamina bar was full.
- Fixed case where car speedometers were being erratic on some computers.
- Decreased recovery time during a final event in the game. Players should find it easier to run and dodge now.
- Bug/crash fixes.

Thanks for your patience and support.

The RSG Team

Arsenic13

I wonder if this patch works alongside Durante's or he will have to recode v1.00 for this one. I see they left his patch to fix the resolution stuff.

lashman

ohhh ... and they also fixed the cars veering off to the right :) ... and the loading times (for me at least)

Seems mostly good but I remapped draw weapon on left trigger and shoot/attack on right trigger, and whenever I draw my weapon and try to shoot, right trigger puts the weapon away.

Actually DPfix is not working anymore for me on this build, plus they added logos you cant skip at the beginning. =/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Seems mostly good but I remapped draw weapon on left trigger and shoot/attack on right trigger, and whenever I draw my weapon and try to shoot, right trigger puts the weapon away.

Actually DPfix is not working anymore for me on this build, plus they added logos you cant skip at the beginning. =/

New exe so Durante is going to have to poke around and map things to the new addresses.

You cannot push both triggers at the same time because they used Dinput, so you cannot aim with the left trigger and shoot with the right trigger. That is fine if you don't want to do that, but that is what I WANT TO DO, PLS.

- Decreased recovery time during a final event in the game. Players should find it easier to run and dodge now.

Wait, was this intentional or a bug?
For me I had to go to the start menu and ALT pause the game for some time to be able to run at all. I couldn't run at all after dodging or after running for couple of seconds. Took me like 15 minutes to run the whole thing through.

puzl

Banned
I havent tested it yet, but people are still complaining about very long load times (and no ALT/pause workaround anymore)

Rest of the changes look good though. Assuming it's not buggy and crashes any more, it'll finally be in a decent, playable state.

Durante

New exe so Durante is going to have to poke around and map things to the new addresses.
Not really, there is nothing mapped to addresses in DPfix. I was hoping it would just work out of the box if a patch doesn't make changes to the renderer. Apparently not :/

That's incredibly annoying if you need to launch the game 100 times to test some feature.

Carm

Yea they seemed to have broke shit. black screen with fix. Even worse, removing those files then game runs but its at 5-10fps at all times, even in game where it was 60 before.

So they broke the resolution workaround without adding their own fix. I bought this to play around Halloween, but now I'm wondering if I'm even going to get a chance to play it in 2013.

Joe Molotov

This is like when Sony releases a new firmware "update" that adds one tiny feature but breaks all the hacks that people were using.

Necrovex

That's incredibly annoying if you need to launch the game 100 times to test some feature.

We need your help, Durante. Those logos are a plague to us all!

I'll be buying this during the Steam Sale or any Black Friday deal. I'm so ready for some more DP. :-D

dsk1210

About time!

I could not have been anymore disappointed in the state of this game at release , one of my friends has always spoke highly of this game, and he has good taste in games.

Might be time to pick this up from the wishlist.

Arsenic13

I wouldn't expect an official patch to follow the mistakes this one brought. They didn't even address the resolution, assuming Durante will tend to that. Oh well.

Carm

Deleted and reinstalled the game, framerate is still 5-10fps. =(

It wasn't like that prior to patch, without using Durante's fix, what in the hell did they break.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I installed the patch but DPFIX seems to work for me?

Pretty sure it's working because the reflection resolution is very obvious when it isn't working.

Frozen_Fish

Neo Member
Am I the only one who can't get the game to boot anymore?

In addition to what was said above, try disabling borderless fullscreen if you've enabled it. The game crashes instantly for me with it's turned on but works great (with all dsfix features functioning properly) when turned off.

Top Bottom