• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

I'm astounded the developers have not fixed or even acknowledged this issue. Some people have gotten around it by playing in Windows 98 Compatibility Mode. For others (like me), this setting had no effect. The only way I was able to beat the game was to lock-on with the submachine gun (this moves York's aim to a general, lowered position). Afterwards, aim as close as possible in the doll's direction, and just spray and pray. You will eventually get a shot in, allowing you to finish the game.

There are boxes that absolutely cannot be shot at with this limited aiming bug on PC, but at least the game is beatable.

Thanks for your tips,I changed to win98 mode and everything is fine, i can move the aim freely. just finish the game,it's great!

Can anyone help me?

Does the DPFix cause crashes? I somehow get a lot of crashes. Right now I cant exit the Milk Barn at all. Everytime I try it (already tried 5 times) the Game crashes on me...

biosquid2

Neo Member
Can anyone help me?

Does the DPFix cause crashes? I somehow get a lot of crashes. Right now I cant exit the Milk Barn at all. Everytime I try it (already tried 5 times) the Game crashes on me...
Try smoking a cigarette. The Milk Barn will eventually close, and the game will boot you out of the store automatically.

Somehow today it worked just walking out of it...

Then I go to the town meeting, save before, it crashes with "dp.exe has stopped working". And whenever I try to load the save, it just crashes with the same message over and over again:
"dp.exe has stopped working"

Edit: Seems it has something to do with the time when I saved. Someone else in the Steamcommunity Hub-forum said that at the same time and space he was, it crashed for him. But I saved it during that time, so I cant load the save. I dont wanna do the whole chapter 5 in the lumbermill again. Anyone has some chapter 6 save?

Edit 2: Now I could load it again by using Win98 compatibility mode and Admin-rights to start the game. Somehow the port is really poorly done...

Somehow today it worked just walking out of it...

Then I go to the town meeting, save before, it crashes with "dp.exe has stopped working". And whenever I try to load the save, it just crashes with the same message over and over again:
"dp.exe has stopped working"

Edit: Seems it has something to do with the time when I saved. Someone else in the Steamcommunity Hub-forum said that at the same time and space he was, it crashed for him. But I saved it during that time, so I cant load the save. I dont wanna do the whole chapter 5 in the lumbermill again. Anyone has some chapter 6 save?

Edit 2: Now I could load it again by using Win98 compatibility mode and Admin-rights to start the game. Somehow the port is really poorly done...

restarting your pc works always for a while. There are certain places that seem to crash anyway regardless (
those ladders behind art museum place and the gate behind the diner at least
)

My face when I completed a tuff side quest
boss rush
and the game crashes: U_U

It just baffles me how bad the port is. And I dont mean the resolution issues then. But it seems for like 50% of people the game crashes.

Then you also get some errors, that can be easily fixed when you let the Game use more than 2GB RAM if I understood that correctly, but you have to change some things in the .exe.

notworksafe

Having a weird issue with wired 360 controller. In game, only the buttons work. No stick or dpad working at all.

Dpad works fine in the launcher, but just not in the game. Using newest DPfix. Tried restarting PC a few times but no luck. Anyone having this issue?

Carm

Having a weird issue with wired 360 controller. In game, only the buttons work. No stick or dpad working at all.

Dpad works fine in the launcher, but just not in the game. Using newest DPfix. Tried restarting PC a few times but no luck. Anyone having this issue?

Is it just the Dpad that doesn't work or the pad doesn't work at all?

Edit: I need to l2read

That's weird buttons work but the others don't. Is the controller button selected in the launcher?

Foaloal

You do have the game update, right? The unpatched release game did not have controller support.

Edit: Never mind, I saw you said it works in the launcher which means you'd have the update

notworksafe

Yep. Controller is selected in launcher. Tried every USB port. Also tried it without DPfix and no luck. Might just have to use Xpadder, I guess. Annoying but I can't find any other solution. It's just a normal 360 controller too, so it's especially weird that it has having issues.

EDIT: If I go HAM on the sticks I can get it to move once or twice in the menu but that's it. Seems sorta random.

Foaloal

Yep. Controller is selected in launcher. Tried every USB port. Also tried it without DPfix and no luck. Might just have to use Xpadder, I guess. Annoying but I can't find any other solution. It's just a normal 360 controller too, so it's especially weird that it has having issues.

EDIT: If I go HAM on the sticks I can get it to move once or twice in the menu but that's it. Seems sorta random.

Is the light on your 360 controller indicating that it's "player 1" (in the top left quadrant)

Sometimes even when I have one controller plugged in the driver messes up and leads to the controller being assigned as player 2, 3, or 4, which messes up the support in many games.

I assume your controller is still working fine in your other games. Have you verified that you didn't somehow get a corrupt download through Steam by verifying the files? This happens more often than I'd expect it to.

Have you tried uninstalling your 360 controller driver in device manager (make sure to choose to delete driver software for this device), and either downloading the driver off microsoft's website or just plugging the controller back in? (I believe the driver is stored on the controller, so it should reinstall automatically)

I'm assuming you don't have any other software installed that would affect your controller (can't even think of anything that would), but I guess it's worth having a look through programs/features in control panel to be sure.

This is all I can think of for now, and really this problem shouldn't be happening at all, but I guess it's worth giving these things a try if you didn't yet.

Alfredo

I got the same issue, too. Ended up using some weird Joy2Key configuration, but it is far from perfect.

Parsnip

I had this problem. For some strange reason if I run the latest DPfix and RadeonPro at the same time, this is exactly what happens. Running one or the other is fine, but both at the same time and only buttons work. It's a little bizarre. So if you are running it or any other overlay thing or something like that, try turning it off.

Personally I still haven't started the game because of the flickering I posted about earlier. This PC version is really bumming me out these days.

biosquid2

Neo Member
Personally I still haven't started the game because of the flickering I posted about earlier. This PC version is really bumming me out these days.
I feel ya, dude. Such a great game mired by an awful port. If the developers ever roll out another patch, they need to include an official resolution unlock and a solution to the limited aiming bug.

epmode

My god, this port is a pile of crap.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my controller. I'm using a 360 pad with custom drivers as opposed to the default Windows 7 drivers from Microsoft. I do this for better compatibility with old DirectInput games. If a modern game is using XInput, I just use x360ce to emulate it and it works fine 95% of the time.

Now I'm pretty that Deadly Premonition is using DirectInput so I figure I'll be fine and the game will let me configure the pad as I see fit. Problem is, the launcher doesn't seem to allow configuration of the left and right sticks at all.

When I get in-game, the left stick is fine. I can move my guy around. The right stick is permanently stuck looking at the ground. ..until I hold the Aim button and the camera moves to the ceiling.

I can't find a way to change this in the launcher or the config files. I assume I can get around it by rejiggering my axis settings in the XBCD (custom driver) panel but that would make Deadly Premonition my first game to require such a step since Outrun 2006.

Help pls. Are there any plans to add XInput support?

My god, this port is a pile of crap.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my controller. I'm using a 360 pad with custom drivers as opposed to the default Windows 7 drivers from Microsoft. I do this for better compatibility with old DirectInput games. If a modern game is using XInput, I just use x360ce to emulate it and it works fine 95% of the time.

Now I'm pretty that Deadly Premonition is using DirectInput so I figure I'll be fine and the game will let me configure the pad as I see fit. Problem is, the launcher doesn't seem to allow configuration of the left and right sticks at all.

When I get in-game, the left stick is fine. I can move my guy around. The right stick is permanently stuck looking at the ground. ..until I hold the Aim button and the camera moves to the ceiling.

I can't find a way to change this in the launcher or the config files. I assume I can get around it by rejiggering my axis settings in the XBCD (custom driver) panel but that would make Deadly Premonition my first game to require such a step since Outrun 2006.

Help pls. Are there any plans to add XInput support?

Try Xinput Wrapper instead?

Argh. I can't even get the game to LOAD without a crash and error message. The best I've managed is getting past some logos in windowed mode. :(
Have you restarted your PC?

Which one of these you have tried:
1) fullscreen no DPFIX
2) fullscreen with DPFIX
3) windowed no DPFIX
4) windowed fullscreen DPFIX

remember to turn off the controller thing if you have old version of DPFix

biosquid2

Neo Member
Argh. I can't even get the game to LOAD without a crash and error message. The best I've managed is getting past some logos in windowed mode. :(
Also, verify if you're running Deadly Premonition in Windows Compatibility Mode. On some configurations, launching the game leads to a crash with an error message if this is checked, but runs fine otherwise.

Have you restarted your PC?

Which one of these you have tried:
1) fullscreen no DPFIX
2) fullscreen with DPFIX
3) windowed no DPFIX
4) windowed fullscreen DPFIX

remember to turn off the controller thing if you have old version of DPFix

I have the latest version of DPFix. I've tried 2, and 4. I haven't tried restarting yet.

Also, verify if you're running Deadly Premonition in Windows Compatibility Mode. On some configurations, launching the game leads to a crash with an error message if this is checked, but runs fine otherwise.
I was trying various Compatibility Modes, and then without as well. I was also running it as Administrator.

Vlodril

I have the latest version of DPFix. I've tried 2, and 4. I haven't tried restarting yet.

I was trying various Compatibility Modes, and then without as well. I was also running it as Administrator.

It crashed on loading for me on chapter 2. I read a suggestion to try compatibility 98 and run as administrator checked and it worked for me.

Wiseblood

Anyone else having problems with the side mission list? Every time I try to bring it up the game freezes. This happens whether or not I'm using DPFix.

Taruranto

Is this the right thread to ask? Ever since I changed my graphic card, every time I try to run it in "Borderless windowed fullscreen mode" the mouse pointer gets stuck in the middle of the screen and it doesn't go away.

The issue isn't present in "normal windowed (non-fullscreen) mode".

Any tips?

Here is all the work I've done so far!
http://www.mediafire.com/?kaew8ts7f5dvbgl

Includes:
-High Res Font
-HD HUD + (NEW) Weapon Names
-HD Icons for Guitar and Grass Cutter (If you can find the texture for the others I can take care of those too if they don't look too good.)
-High Res Pause screen icons.

TODO:
-Rest of the Pause Menu text. (Item Menu only done and put off the rest while addressing the rest of these things.)
-Whatever anyone else can point out that is within my ability.
InfiniteNine, thanks for this great texture mod. Did you ever make a newer version of it?

It's too bad there's no central site to collect these mods. They'll be very hard for future players to track down.

Necrovex

InfiniteNine, thanks for this great texture mod. Did you ever make a newer version of it?

It's too bad there's no central site to collect these mods. They'll be very hard for future players to track down.

In the future, people will flock to Gaf to find the must-have mods.

As far as I can tell (?) there are no texture replacements for the awful 3D pause menu objects yet. That's probably the single worst original graphical element at this point.

Just started playing, running around absorbing everything. I was looking at a decoration on the hotel second floor's dead end when I noticed I could pretty much make out a little of the text in the second block of copy:

jbseCzXvljsUGv.jpg

jCAZKjPHfxNP0.png

It seems to say "Just then the doorbell rang." (There might be a comma after "then".) And the word "Fluffy" is right below doorbell.

Th...these aren't deer hunting rules!

Naturally I rushed to google to try and track down the source text that some artist probably copy/pasted from but haven't found the source yet. Is your google-fu up to the challenge?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Nope I've been busy and now I've been sick but maybe after I'm feeling better I'll finish up any extraneous things. I found a bunch of stuff to work on last time and moved them into a todo folder.

Just started playing, running around absorbing everything. I was looking at a decoration on the hotel second floor's dead end when I noticed I could pretty much make out a little of the text in the second block of copy:

jbseCzXvljsUGv.jpg

jCAZKjPHfxNP0.png

It seems to say "Just then the doorbell rang." (There might be a comma after "then".) And the word "Fluffy" is right below doorbell.

Naturally I rushed to google to try and track down the source text that some artist probably copy/pasted from but haven't found the source yet. Is your google-fu up to the challenge?

I found a Circle Jerks etc. gig flyers around town. Thank you based SWERY65

s_mirage

jbseCzXvljsUGv.jpg

jCAZKjPHfxNP0.png

Found randomly on Google so not sure of the copyright on it but:

http://www.iberia.k12.la.us/apps/funnix/Funnix2Reader.pdf

Page 172-173

Found randomly on Google so not sure of the copyright on it but:

http://www.iberia.k12.la.us/apps/funnix/Funnix2Reader.pdf

Page 172-173
Nice work!

Amazing, the line breaks are even the same. Here's the text they used:
Code:
   Everybody at school knew about Noser and what
he had done. The police officer even came to Pam’s
classroom and told everybody the story about how
Noser found the baby.
   Pam was very happy and proud. But she was also
sad because she knew that Noser was going to have
to live with Uncle Dick.
   When she got home from school, she saw Uncle
Dick’s truck in the driveway. He was inside talking to
Pam’s mom. He gave Pam a hug and said, “Well, I
can’t take your dog now. He’s a hero. But here’s
what I can do. Every weekend I’ll pick him up and
take him to my place. I’ll let him run and sniff all he
wants. Then I’ll bring him back every Sunday
evening.”

Just then the doorbell rang. The woman who
owned the cat Fluffy was at the door. She was with
two other people who lived near Pam. The woman
who owned Fluffy said, “We have all been here
before to tell about the bad things Noser did. We’re
here this time to tell you that we think Noser did a
wonderful thing, and we want him to stay around
here.”
   Pam’s mom said, “Well, thank you so much. But he
might get out again. He’s . . . ”
   Pam said, “But if he does, just call me. I’ll come
over and take care of the mess.” Everybody thought
that was a good plan.

(9 lines are missing between the first block and second.)

Now someone should give this the high-res override treatment so Zach can read these important deer-hunting rules in-game.

I updated the OP mostly to indicate that the port is in better state now than at launch. Also to (re-)list the fixes the community has come up with. Also to inform that gamepad support is now patched in.

Nishastra

Banned

jbseCzXvljsUGv.jpg

jCAZKjPHfxNP0.png

There's all kinds of weird stuff in the hospital, be sure to look around there as well :p

Mesoian

Theoretically, you should be able to put these up on NexusMods now.

dream

Argh, why does my game have this horrible shrieking sound when I'm driving? Is there any way to fix that? It's painful to listen to.

Top Bottom