• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Conezays

Thanks for all the work, Durante and others! Much appreciated.

I finally picked up the game in a Steam Sale. Not sure what to think so far, about 30 minutes in, Lol.

It's miraculous how well that works.

(I'm honestly at a loss as to how that's even possible, but clearly it is)

Game tries to write the PC uptime value somewhere that overflows if PC has been up for more than 99 minutes

xY9Q3.gif

Restarting isn't doing anything to help me get the game running. I think I'm just borked, but I'll try it again. Maybe I need to make DP the very FIRST thing I run when the PC is restarted. Just as a note, I'm running Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro.

Restarting isn't doing anything to help me get the game running. I think I'm just borked, but I'll try it again. Maybe I need to make DP the very FIRST thing I run when the PC is restarted. Just as a note, I'm running Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro.

Clean Steam cache? Check that your launcher / DP Fix window mode settings are inline (the game crashes for me if I have for instance "force windowed" in DPFix but "fullscreen" in launcher). . The crashing that restarting cures happens usually only after some time of playing and then in matter of few seconds of gameplay after reloading.

Clean Steam cache? Check that your launcher / DP Fix window mode settings are inline (the game crashes for me if I have for instance "force windowed" in DPFix but "fullscreen" in launcher). . The crashing that restarting cures happens usually only after some time of playing and then in matter of few seconds of gameplay after reloading.

I got a bit farther than before by using borderless windowed mode and clearing the cache. Now I hear birds chirping before the game crashes. :l

I got a bit farther than before by using borderless windowed mode and clearing the cache. Now I hear birds chirping before the game crashes. :l
I assume you've tried regular windowed mode?

In my case DPfix's bordlerless windowed mode never worked, and while fullscreen worked, alt-tabbing made it crash. So I've had to run regular windowed mode and use this Autohotkey script to make it borderless/full:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88957635&postcount=1198

Also try slightly earlier versions of DPfix; this seems to help some people.

I assume you've tried regular windowed mode?

In my case DPfix's bordlerless windowed mode never worked, and while fullscreen worked, alt-tabbing made it crash. So I've had to run regular windowed mode and use this Autohotkey script to make it borderless/full:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88957635&postcount=1198

Also try slightly earlier versions of DPfix; this seems to help some people.

I use that Autohotkey thing too. It's super nice because when the game crashes you can actually reach taskmanager and kill it, instead of having to shut down PC while mashing ESC so that PC kills DP.exe but cancels shutting down before that :p

I use that Autohotkey thing too. It's super nice because when the game crashes you can actually reach taskmanager and kill it, instead of having to shut down PC while mashing ESC so that PC kills DP.exe but cancels shutting down before that :p
Yeah. And in case you didn't know, ctrl-shift-esc brings up Task Manager instantly.

Yeah. And in case you didn't know, ctrl-shift-esc brings up Task Manager instantly.

Yup, I know that: thing is that I am running on one screen machine (a laptop) and when a game crashes, you can't use the Task Manager because the full screen crashed game is blocking it :(

But good reminder for anyone who plays DP PC :p

Baha

Tried running this today, while I can get DPfix working and the game looks fine in cutscenes and everything, the frame rate is abysmal. Have there been any solutions for low frame rate after the latest official patch?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Tried running this today, while I can get DPfix working and the game looks fine in cutscenes and everything, the frame rate is abysmal. Have there been any solutions for low frame rate after the latest official patch?

Not really, but you can try cranking up settings and see if that works. (The game runs better downsampling with all the options at max better than it does at low settings and my monitor's native resolution.)

Baha

Not really, but you can try cranking up settings and see if that works. (The game runs better downsampling with all the options at max better than it does at low settings and my monitor's native resolution.)

I think I got a 2 fps boost from trying that. Unfortunately it's still unplayable.

I think I got a 2 fps boost from trying that. Unfortunately it's still unplayable.

What are your specs? You're not using a laptop with Nvidia Optimus graphics, are you? Make sure your graphics card is running at its top speed while the game's on.

Baha

What are your specs? You're not using a laptop with Nvidia Optimus graphics, are you? Make sure your graphics card is running at its top speed while the game's on.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz
GPU:GeForce GT 520 1GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3

I'm on a desktop and I can run pretty much anything (lowered settings for more demanding games ofc).

Parsnip

So I was bored today and figured I'd maybe do a first pass on some of the things I have been planning to mod. I haven't really looked at the game really all that closely yet, but now that I did... it looks worse than I remember from x360. I figured it's just my memory playing tricks on me, but turns out that maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just me, but some of the "high definition" updates they did to the PS3 version (and as such on the PC as well) look kind of worse. They also did some other changes than just the UI, which I found surprising.

The xbox version images have some youtube compression on them, but that gun and those binders kind of look better on xbox I think. Especially since on those ring binders the full texture isn't even used anymore for some reason. It just cuts off at the bottom. Weird. And you can actually read the text on the trading card book.

What I find weirder is that there are better textures in the game for some of these things, they're just not used in the pause screen. I'm still digging around in all the texture files at the moment, who knows, maybe I'll find all the xbox stuff from somewhere as well. :p

Xbox360 vs PC.

Don't know if anyone else cares about this specifically, but I found it interesting and figured I should share. :p And for some reason only the mug seems to cast a shadow on PS3 and PC.

Guri

So I was bored today and figured I'd maybe do a first pass on some of the things I have been planning to mod. I haven't really looked at the game really all that closely yet, but now that I did... it looks worse than I remember from x360. I figured it's just my memory playing tricks on me, but turns out that maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just me, but some of the "high definition" updates they did to the PS3 version (and as such on the PC as well) look kind of worse. They also did some other changes than just the UI, which I found surprising.

The xbox version images have some youtube compression on them, but that gun and those binders kind of look better on xbox I think. Especially since on those ring binders the full texture isn't even used anymore for some reason. It just cuts off at the bottom. Weird. And you can actually read the text on the trading card book.

What I find weirder is that there are better textures in the game for some of these things, they're just not used in the pause screen. I'm still digging around in all the texture files at the moment, who knows, maybe I'll find all the xbox stuff from somewhere as well. :p

Don't know if anyone else cares about this specifically, but I found it interesting and figured I should share. :p And for some reason only the mug seems to cast a shadow on PS3 and PC.

Thank you! I'm waiting for mods like that so I can double dip! I know it's not a full-time thing, but I hope you release this soon!

Shlomo

Neo Member
I searched for the same textures ingame and added in my menu texture pack. I found pistol, envelope, bench and a bookshelf. Haven't found xbox stuff though :)

https://mega.nz/#!Fkw2gbrT!KBR44AOYJOO2PoAJ2Bkzkkn80oJ_Rbw6iHYQQ-aDq5k
Updated link

Also, if anyone interested - here's my SweetFX: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1115/

Parsnip

Turns out that the shadow that is cast by the coffee mug is actually just a really low resolution texture as well. In the same texture the alpha channel shows shadows for all the other table items as well, but for some reason only the mug shadow works.

shadow_fakery_by_majorparsnip-d70o0iu.jpg

I searched for the same textures ingame and added in my menu texture pack. I found pistol, envelope, bench and a bookshelf. Haven't found xbox stuff though :)

https://mega.co.nz/#!AsQShQSK!KBR44AOYJOO2PoAJ2Bkzkkn80oJ_Rbw6iHYQQ-aDq5k

Also, if anyone interested - here's my SweetFX: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1115/
Yup, that's all I found as well.
The xbox stuff seems to have been well stripped out/replaced when they made the PS3 DC, but most of the PS3 specific stuff is still in there in the PC build. Like PSMove controller images and such.

Yup, that's all I found as well.
The xbox stuff seems to have been well stripped out/replaced when they made the PS3 DC, but most of the PS3 specific stuff is still in there in the PC build. Like PSMove controller images and such.
Are there any PS3 button images that could turn into a texture mod for DualShock users?

(I first said "DualShockers" but it sounded lewd.)

That's a nice-lookin' SweetFX profile by the way, Shlomo.

It was so awesome when he started talking about punk with Zach. Being more into weird bands like Joy Division over hardcore and so on. Game characters so rarely have such specific personality traits. They seem to want to be everymen so desperately.

My favorite part of the game. It wasn't even that the bands were so obscure (if you are into old punk), it was just so out of place but still so right. Like I have mentioned in half of the topics I have posted in in the past half year, it's friggin nothing if your characters learns that the obviously evil force is evil when it's compared to when you learn that the character that you thought had annoying face talks about same movies and bands that you like casually when driving a car.

Parsnip

I wonder if the menus looked like this at some point.

titlebgout_by_majorparsnip-d70qh7h.jpg

Are there any PS3 button images that could turn into a texture mod for DualShock users?

(I first said "DualShockers" but it sounded lewd.)

That's a nice-lookin' SweetFX profile by the way, Shlomo.

Afraid not.
Well, technically there are some images that you could pull from and piece one together, but they are way too small, the resolution's just not there. Would probably have better luck finding a good set from somewhere else instead and use that to build one on top of the xbox360 set.

pa22word

Having a weird issue atm with the game with DSfix enabled. The game is running at 60FPS (animations are super smooth and fraps gives me a rock solid 60FPS pop up) but the game is acting extremely choppy. Almost as if it's refreshing at 15 FPS or something. I know that's probably not the correct terminology, but I've never experienced anything like this before and I'm having trouble articulating exactly what's happening.

Rig:

GTX 780, 8GBDDR3, i7 960

Settings:

Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height, will be used for fullscreen mode and as window size in windowed mode
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 3

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full 16xAF override (may degrade performance, best quality)
filteringOverride 2

############# Shadows

# adjust shadowmap resolution
# 1 = default (best performance, low resolution shadows)
# 2 = 4 times shadow resolution (lower performance, good resolution)
# 4 = 8 times shadow resolution (overkill)
shadowMapScale 2

# improve shadow depth precision
# 0 = disable (default)
# 1 = enable (less shadow aliasing, worse performance)
improveShadowPrecision 0

############# Reflections

# adjust reflection resolution
# 1 = default (best performance, low resolution reflections)
# 2 = 4 times reflection resolution (1280x720 for large, 640x360 for small)
# 4 = 8 times reflection resolution
reflectionScale 2

############# Depth of Field

# improves the Depth of Field effect for higher resolutions
# 0 = disabled (default)
# 1 = enabled (less DoF pixelation/flicker, lower performance)
improveDOF 1

# additional DOF blur to more match original sharpness at higher resolutions
# 0 = disabled
# 1 = fitting for e.g 1080p with improveDOF=1
# 2 = fitting for e.g 4k with improveDOF=1
addDOFBlur 1

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
ssaoScale 2

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO
# "VSSAO2" = Significantly higher quality AO + higher performance impact
ssaoType VSSAO2

Restart your PC.

Also, I'm apparently stuck in Episode 1 CH3 at the section to exit the hospital... the loading screen comes up, cut to black and... then nothing happens. Just peachy!

Parsnip

Hey Durante, I'm curious about something in relation to texture dumping and overriding in DS and DP. How game-agnostic is the solution in general? And do you know if same or similar solution is possible on DX11 games?

Texmod is getting pretty old and afaik doesn't support dx11, so it got me thinking whether there's a replacement for it anywhere. Found uMod on googlecode, but that project seems abandoned as well. And dropping dll file in the game folder feels more elegant than what texmod does.

Anyways, just curious.

Arsenic13

I used to run the game at 60FPS perfectly fine, with and without Durante's patch. Now it's really, really low. I deleted the steam cache, restarted and nothing. Not sure why it's suddenly not working. Any ideas?

I used to run the game at 60FPS perfectly fine, with and without Durante's patch. Now it's really, really low. I deleted the steam cache, restarted and nothing. Not sure why it's suddenly not working. Any ideas?
With the game running, open Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and see if the DP.exe process starts pegging one of your CPU's cores.

For me (quad-core i7-920) the game starts out at 7-8% / 60 fps but hits 25% CPU (an entire core) after about 20 minutes. That's when the performance really takes a dive.

Arsenic13

With the game running, open Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and see if the DP.exe process starts pegging one of your CPU's cores.

For me (quad-core i7-920) the game starts out at 7-8% / 60 fps but hits 25% CPU (an entire core) after about 20 minutes. That's when the performance really takes a dive.

Edit: So after attempting to limit the cores used to just one (with no change) and restart made it work. Oddly enough, the game launched in fullscreen without Durante's patch. I'm guessing a upscaled 720p (not sure how that happened). Yeah, I still don't feel like touching this one until Durante's 1.0 patch goes live. Then I'll know this is as good as it gets.

Just started this one up, but I'm getting a weird issue with the game. When I am driving around town many of the windows in the buildings are plain white, as if I should be seeing something, but am not. This happens with and without DPfix.

Parsnip

Just a heads up to you and anyone else who wants one, I started working on one today and it's coming along. It doesn't have shoulder buttons yet, or the stick waggling "special icon" for the
raincoat killer chase
sequences. And it needs some fine tuning as some sharp eyed people might notice from the fullsize screens below. But it's coming along. It's actually more of Dualshock 4 set, but that's just splitting hairs at this point.

Wrapped in quote, click for fullsize.

Jintor

Thanks to durante and i9 for the fixes. This game is rad, but I don't think Ic ould have dealt with that crazy low res

SHarris78

I'm giving up on this game for a while. Every time I start it up there seems to be something different wrong with it since the previous time I played (i'm using the latest DPfix).

I've had a couple of 'DP.EXE has stopped working' crashes, the window textures have disappeared, when I go to a phone to save my game it won't let me, and my framerate sucks. Also, the game intermittently completely stops for half a second or so before it gets going again, as if my rig can't cope with the super next gen grafix the game throws at you(!).

Such a shame, I really want to get stuck into this but at the moment it just ain't worth it.

Saw someone mention that D3DOverrider should be disabled earlier.

Would this fix random crashes? I seem to get crashes if I play for over an hour or two. Also I sometimes randomly get crashes between cutscenes more frequently. One tonight about 15 minutes after starting, then one a few minutes after starting. I restarted my pc and then it worked for about an hour and a half before crashing after leaving the police station.

Running DPfix 0.9.5

Saw someone mention that D3DOverrider should be disabled earlier.

Would this fix random crashes? I seem to get crashes if I play for over an hour or two. Also I sometimes randomly get crashes between cutscenes more frequently. One tonight about 15 minutes after starting, then one a few minutes after starting. I restarted my pc and then it worked for about an hour and a half before crashing after leaving the police station.

Running DPfix 0.9.5

It wont but it might help

Jintor

Anyone having problems taking screenshots with Bandicam or similar screencap things when running DPFix?

Also there's an incredibly annoying infinite braking bug with vehicles, complete with recurring looping screeching noise, that is basically rendering the whole thing unplayable for me right now since I can't hear Zach monologues :(

Anyone having problems taking screenshots with Bandicam or similar screencap things when running DPFix?

Try DPFix's built-in screenshot keys. See the .ini files.

Also there's an incredibly annoying infinite braking bug with vehicles, complete with recurring looping screeching noise, that is basically rendering the whole thing unplayable for me right now since I can't hear Zach monologues :(

Try switching your sound card to stereo mode:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/247660/discussions/0/666824800578737773/

biosquid2

Neo Member
I've been trying to find any info I could on the missing window/door texture issues, and have found nothing. I can't seem to take screenshots in game, but I did find a video that showed the problem. It's a french LP, but if you look at this video around 4:45 you can see what I mean.
The plain white textures you see for some of the glass windows and doors around the neighborhood have always been that way, since the very first release of the game. It's not a problem with DPfix or your system.

Yeah I'm stuck on the hospital level right before the entrance after the battle with 3 zombies with shotguns.

Looks like the game refuses to continue from here.

novenD

Yeah I'm stuck on the hospital level right before the entrance after the battle with 3 zombies with shotguns.

Looks like the game refuses to continue from here.

Try turning off your PC completely and then trying again once it has restarted.

I know this sounds like a joke, but I was getting a bug just like this. It refused to go away no matter how many times I tried restarting the game, but once I turned off my computer and tried again I could continue.

Joqu

So is the PC version the way to go now or should I go out and buy one of the console versions? And if so which one should I get? From what I understand the 360 version runs better while the PS3 version has the extra content?

Top Bottom