• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

You know whats the worst thing about this game? Aside from random game breaking glitches or crashes, it's driving.

Holy shit, the driving in this game already makes me feel like not continue playing this game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a somewhat capable computer with a 7870, and this runs surprisingly terribly for such a simple looking game. I used dpfix too, is this just the way it is with the game?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just got the game, and tried to use a bit of downsampling with my 7970 (Tried 4K initially but that was really slow) and 2880x1620 (Native res 1920x1080) is almost fully getting me 60FPS, but I may need to change a setting or two in the ini to make sure I get consistent performance.

As always thanks to Durante for the fix and InfiniteNine for the fonts.

Is it just me or does anyone find the fps during cutscenes to be 32? It's...really odd.

Xyber

So my game refuses to start. I get the splash screens and after them just black and nothing else. Using latest DPfix and the textures. Tried setting it to Win 98 compat. mode and run as admin.

Edit: Removed the .ini file with my custom settings and replaced it with the standard settings and now my game just crashes on launch.

Xyber

Alright, got the game running now with Win XP SP3 mode.

But the sticks don't work. If I repeatedly press the stick it sometimes jumps to the next option in the menu, but otherwise it's like it doesn't recognize it. Start and face buttons work just fine though.

Verified the files, it downloaded 43MB of something, but that didn't help.

Parsnip

Alright, got the game running now with Win XP SP3 mode.

But the sticks don't work. If I repeatedly press the stick it sometimes jumps to the next option in the menu, but otherwise it's like it doesn't recognize it. Start and face buttons work just fine though.

Verified the files, it downloaded 43MB of something, but that didn't help.

Try turning of any and all apps like fraps, msi afterburner, radeonpro, d3doverrider and similar and see if that fixes it. If I remember right, the latest dpfix and readeonpro conflict exactly this way at least, maybe others do as well.

Xyber

Try turning of any and all apps like fraps, msi afterburner, radeonpro, d3doverrider and similar and see if that fixes it. If I remember right, the latest dpfix and readeonpro conflict exactly this way at least, maybe others do as well.

Man, this game. If I have it set to Win XP mode, I can launch it with borderless window, but Win 98 crashes. But with that the controller does not work. With Win 98 I have to run it in windowed mode for it to not crash and now the controller does work.

I tried using AutoHotKey with YABT that someone earlier in this thread talked about, but in Win 8.1 this does not seem to work. When I press Win+W I just get a search window in Windows over the game. Outside of the game it does work with other active windows.

I tried using AutoHotKey with YABT that someone earlier in this thread talked about, but in Win 8.1 this does not seem to work. When I press Win+W I just get a search window in Windows over the game. Outside of the game it does work with other active windows.

It does work (I am running on Win 8.1). After you launch the game, make sure it's actually windowed. Then press the window with your mouse to make sure it's focused. Then press the Win+W combo.

Xyber

It does work (I am running on Win 8.1). After you launch the game, make sure it's actually windowed. Then press the window with your mouse to make sure it's focused. Then press the Win+W combo.

I can't make the window the active window. But it sure is windowed, I can see the window being cut off under the task bar. For now I just hid the task bar and played it like that.
Here's how my DP file looks like, if there's anything I should change there to make it work. http://pastebin.com/bKhXcFqf

I can't make the window the active window. But it sure is windowed, I can see the window being cut off under the task bar. For now I just hid the task bar and played it like that.
Here's how my DP file looks like, if there's anything I should change there to make it work. http://pastebin.com/bKhXcFqf

Are you running on some compatibility mode? Because the toggle doesn't work if you are. Your settings look fine, make sure that your launcher has "Full Screen Mode" off too.

Xyber

Are you running on some compatibility mode? Because the toggle doesn't work if you are. Your settings look fine, make sure that your launcher has "Full Screen Mode" off too.

I have to use Win 98 for it to work with my controller. The full screen setting in the launcher might be the problem, I'll check that out later.

I have to use Win 98 for it to work with my controller. The full screen setting in the launcher might be the problem, I'll check that out later.

The Autohotkey method doesn't work with any of the compatibility modes. What controller are you using? The mismatched fullscreen/windowed settings make my game crash on startup so I think you should have it set up already.

puzl

Banned
Bought this for $5 (well actually 5 euros, since we have to pay tax.... boo!) so it's great to finally add it to my steam collection. I loved this game on the 360 and I hope most of the problems the PC version had at launch are fixed now.

Well..it works.
Only thing that's seriously bugging me is the awful racket while driving.
It sounds like the brakes are squealing constantly and it's just insufferable.

Parsnip

Since there's probably going to be more players now because of the bundle, I figured I'd finish this, in case someone wants it. Wrapped in quote, click it to look at the fullsize image.
dp_dualshock_4_by_majorparsnip-d72oldh.jpg

It's based on DualShock4, so the L2/R2 look more like triggers, but I'm sure you can deal with that. It hasn't been tested much, and L1/R1 look a little small from what I did test it, I may go back and tweak them a little. But it seems to look alright at least up to 3200x1800 resolution. It overrides the default 360 controller icons that were added with the patch that added controller support to the game. It doesn't override any of the keyboard icons, if you are still using pinnacle or xpadder solution for some reason.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/47549036.dds

If you want the custom font, here's a link for that as well.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/1ee9a952.png

guys i have this problem with some lights of the game

i'm using durante mod, maybe it's some setting that i have enabled ?

ok seems a problem related to the last version of Dpfix...
Looks like the same one that I have with the latest version, haven't found a solution, other than using older versions. Red room looks pretty wild with that bug.

Xyber

The Autohotkey method doesn't work with any of the compatibility modes. What controller are you using? The mismatched fullscreen/windowed settings make my game crash on startup so I think you should have it set up already.

So I got it to work if I disabled compatibility mode, but since I did that the controller stopped working properly. Win 98 is the only thing that solves the controller issue.

Ugh.

Edit: And now the controller doesn't work no matter what setting I use. I didn't know it was possible to fuck up a port this bad.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The lighting gets blown out randomly for me, and looks erratic in a lot of scenes. Is that something you just have to deal with?

Runtime error is ruining the game for me. Tried running Windows 98 compatible but that makes the game laggy as hell. The game is so unstable even with Durante's fix. I have no idea when and where the error is gonna happen so I save every time after doing anything. It's a chore.

I can't wait until I'm done with this game so I can move on and never look back.

Runtime error is ruining the game for me. Tried running Windows 98 compatible but that makes the game laggy as hell. The game is so unstable even with Durante's fix. I have no idea when and where the error is gonna happen so I save every time after doing anything. It's a chore.

I can't wait until I'm done with this game so I can move on and never look back.

Yeah it's extremely frustrating.
In my playthrough of the 360 version I had....zero crashes. There might have been one freeze....maybe? And that was in 20+ hours.

Hell I'm getting a worse frame-rate on my PC than the 360 version...wtf...WTF!

mattiewheels

Frame rate problems are fixed by restarting. I had to hunt that one down but it works.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have the weirdest issue, the game absolutely refuses to run in full screen mode, with or without DPFix installed.

Edit: Using Borderless Window fixed it.

I'm 4 hour in the game, when I was walking around town it crashed for the first time, whatever. I have a question, is there another "trick" for the loading screens? I've read on steam that in December you could press ALT two times to pause and unpause the game, and that fixed the loading screen times. Now apparenty it was patched and doesn't work. Any other method?

I'm 4 hour in the game, when I was walking around town it crashed for the first time, whatever. I have a question, is there another "trick" for the loading screens? I've read on steam that in December you could press ALT two times to pause and unpause the game, and that fixed the loading screen times. Now apparenty it was patched and doesn't work. Any other method?

There isn't, but generally the load times with the patch should be much improved to the level where the ALT pause thing isn't needed anymore.

I updated the OP mostly to indicate that the port is in better state now than at launch. Also to (re-)list the fixes the community has come up with. Also to inform that gamepad support is now patched in.

Another big update to the OP. It addresses even more issues and with greater detail than before, offering solutions and even directing to posts about them. It has also been split to two parts, one suggesting fixes and another community made enhancements.

Figured I'd post some of the things I've learned going through the game's files.

First: Audio is XACT files, which means it's very, very hard to swap out audio files. The XWB files (WaveBank) actually store the sound files, while the XSB files (SoundBank) store the sound data (Pitch, Volume, etc.). Editing the files could very possibly mess up the game's audio.

It is possible to swap out files, but to do that you would need to rebuild the WaveBank. Doing so would require putting all of the sounds that are currently in the WaveBank back into the rebuilt one (in the same order!) and swapping out the ones you want to change. Here's what makes that hard, though (if it didn't sound hard already!), you have to keep the filenames the same. I'm not sure if you can pull filenames out of the files or not, or if they'll have a hashed name if you extract them, but audio in the game should be referenced by name. If the names don't match up, bad things happen.

Secondly: Texture quality. Generally speaking, the textures aren't awful (wait, wait, let me explain myself!). There are some horrendously low-res textures in there, but (especially for character textures) the main reason textures look so blocky is the normal maps. All of the normal map textures I've found are 1/2 or 1/4 the size of the texture they're representing, which leads to extremely blocky-looking textures when lit (a good example is George's leather jacket).

I've done some preliminary tests on increasing the normal map resolutions and it does seem to look better. Pretty much you just take the full-size texture and generate a normal map from that using the NVIDIA Texture Tools. Then save the normal map file as a .dds file with mip-maps. Keep the name DPFix gives it when it gets dumped, and stick it in the tex_override folder and you're good to go.

Last, but not least, I wanted to say that Windows 98 compatibility didn't work for me (controller didn't work). What did work for me was setting it to Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Cross posting this from the Steam thread and it's pad related

Anyone else have issues with Deadly Premonition and pad? I can press all the face buttons but the d-pad and analog's won't work. The only way I can get it to work is with Windows 98 compatibility but the caveat is that it only runs in a 720p window. This is with or without DPFix.

Someone on the Steam forums mentioned that you have to enable the pad in the DPFix ini but I don't have a clue how to do that. I know the DPFix key ini and how to alter the main DPFix ini but anything else is beyond me as these things are mentioned but never actually typed out to show how exactly the issue was fixed.

Parsnip

Anyone else have issues with Deadly Premonition and pad? I can press all the face buttons but the d-pad and analog's won't work. The only way I can get it to work is with Windows 98 compatibility but the caveat is that it only runs in a 720p window. This is with or without DPFix.

Someone on the Steam forums mentioned that you have to enable the pad in the DPFix ini but I don't have a clue how to do that. I know the DPFix key ini and how to alter the main DPFix ini but anything else is beyond me as these things are mentioned but never actually typed out to show how exactly the issue was fixed.

If you are using the latest dpfix, Durante removed the pad option because it wasn't needed anymore. It was there only to disable the broken controller support that was there on launch.

As for the the problem, am I understanding this right that you have this pad problem whether you are using dpfix or not? I have a similar problem, but it appears to come through a conflict between dpfix and RadeonPro. So if your problem happens without dpfix, it might not be even related.

But anyway, I've seen a few people (me included) have this kind of problem with the latest dpfix version. If I have RadeonPro and latest DPfix, analog and dpad stop functioning properly. So if you have RadeonPro, MSI Afterburner or something similar running, try shutting them down and see if the problem persists.

Or you can always try a previous dpfix version that doesn't conflict with some of these.

Did you try any of the other Windows compatibility modes? Windows 98 didn't work for me, but Windows XP Service Pack 3 worked perfectly, and I haven't had any issues with the game since.

LiquidMetal14

If you are using the latest dpfix, Durante removed the pad option because it wasn't needed anymore. It was there only to disable the broken controller support that was there on launch.

As for the the problem, am I understanding this right that you have this pad problem whether you are using dpfix or not? I have a similar problem, but it appears to come through a conflict between dpfix and RadeonPro. So if your problem happens without dpfix, it might not be even related.

But anyway, I've seen a few people (me included) have this kind of problem with the latest dpfix version. If I have RadeonPro and latest DPfix, analog and dpad stop functioning properly. So if you have RadeonPro, MSI Afterburner or something similar running, try shutting them down and see if the problem persists.

Or you can always try a previous dpfix version that doesn't conflict with some of these.
I have EVGA precision running but that is strictly for GPU OC. Can double check or see if I can put some kind of ignore status on the game if that's the case.

Did you try any of the other Windows compatibility modes? Windows 98 didn't work for me, but Windows XP Service Pack 3 worked perfectly, and I haven't had any issues with the game since.

Will try that as well but I think I might have tried XP SP3 compat.

EDIT - SP3 works but still in window. And pad still won't work. Pad has only worked in Windows 98 mode.

EDIT 2 - Tried disabling EVGA Precision and no luck there either.

EDIT - SP3 works but still in window. And pad still won't work. Pad has only worked in Windows 98 mode.
Are you also setting compatibility settings on the launcher? I have XP SP3 on both, as well as running both as Administrator.

I'm running it full screen with DPFix, although borderless window works as well.

LiquidMetal14

Are you also setting compatibility settings on the launcher? I have XP SP3 on both, as well as running both as Administrator.

I'm running it full screen with DPFix, although borderless window works as well.

I did try that and no luck. I can only get it to run in Windows 98 mode and its in a small 720p window.

I did try that and no luck. I can only get it to run in Windows 98 mode and its in a small 720p window.
Huh, that's weird. I've never had the problem where it will only run in a window, but I was also using DPFix pretty much from the get-go.

Are you on Windows 7? I've heard that Windows 8 has issues running this in the various compatibility modes.

LiquidMetal14

Figured it out.

Windows 8.1. Moved back to DPfix 0.9.1.

Windows 98/ME compatibility mode and admin rights.

Pad now working. I'm pretty damn positive this will solve a few other peoples problems.

In the dpfix ini file there is a disable pad option. Make sure it's set to 0 instead of 1.

Has anyone experienced choppy cutscenes after enabling Win98 compatibility mode?
I could swear they were fine before that. The actual game runs fine which is odd.

Top Bottom