• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Hall (DayZ) in dispute with New Zealand govt, wants to pay devs ($USD) $23k/y

Gattsu25

Banned
It might not be very much money, but you get experience and get to live in NZ. Not a horrible deal.
And all it costs is for the employees to be exploited, not given a fair compensation for their contributions, and valued below their actual worth. I'm sure he's also going to make sure that he doesn't burn out these fresh underpaid and underappreciated grads

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I think it's good that he is getting his point of view out there in more depth, but two letters of approval from unnamed New Zealand developers (who likely want to employ the same cheap labour practices) is hardly a ringing endorsement.

The other studios who put their salary information forward had starting salaries in the $38-45k range. Their letters were being used to get the INZ to move from their initial guidance of $60k, not as some ploy to establish a new lower baseline in the industry down at $35k.

Of course, any studio is free to offer any position for minimum wage or higher, so could try an entry level for programmers of $35k or even less. But I think you'd struggle to scale that with quality candidates given how many options they have both inside and outside the games industry.

Top Bottom