• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Hall (DayZ) in dispute with New Zealand govt, wants to pay devs ($USD) $23k/y

lord pie

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/g...-mean-game-over-for-20-million-dunedin-studio

According to the article, Dean Hall (DayZ developer) wants to expand his small game studio in Dunedin, New Zealand. It's currently 6 people, he wants to bump it up to ~30, with another 30 in the future. This is awesome. I grew up in New Zealand, and it's fair to say there are bugger all options for game dev jobs back home.

Good news?

Well unfortunately due to an apparent lack of local candidates he is planning to bring graduate game programmers to NZ from overseas. And in doing so he plans to offer them $35k NZD/year ($23k USD, £15k) for the privilege.

The NZ government isn't too happy to grant immigration visas for such a low salary in a highly skilled job - even if they are new graduates. They claim a more appropriate low end programmer salary is around $60,000. Due to this dispute, Mr. Hall claims he may be forced to move to the NZ operation to another country.

This is especially annoying to me, as my first game industry programming job was in Dunedin as a new graduate with very little work history. My starting salary was 50,000 NZD. This was over 10 years ago, so adjusted for inflation I was getting around 65,000 NZD (I work in the US now fwiw).

To me this stinks of arrogance and trying exploit people to cut costs. While the NZ dev scene isn't huge, if you offer a reasonable wage there are still excellent candidates out there. I'm also highly skeptical of a studio that is staffed mainly by new graduates - which seems to be implied by the wording (“mecca for graduates”). It's not as if Dunedin is especially cheap either - despite being famous for its student hovels, the average house still sells for ~ $300k.

Sadly this industry has a bad habit of exploiting new graduates, those willing to make sacrifices in order to land their dream job. :/

dcelw540

Man that's terrible :/ I gotta say that pay is awful... good for the government telling them they need to be paid more :)

Random17

It might not be very much money, but you get experience and get to live in NZ. Not a horrible deal.
As a NZer, 35k is nothing for a graduate. Prices in NZ are higher for most items compared to the rest of the world, and I'm pretty sure that 35k is well below the median and mean salary which is closer to 55k NZD.

Low purchasing power is bad in any country in the world.

http://m.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/income-and-work/Income/NZIncomeSurvey_HOTPJun14qtr.aspx

http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2013/09/beware_the_average_income_stat.html

Bashtee

A friend of mine who graduates this semester got a deal for 36k€ (germany), which is still rather low, but he has just a bit of experience in the tools and languages he will use (JS and Ruby on Rails). 40k€ is the average for a graduate and it should be. Developer is one hell of a job.

Hypron

Damn what a cheapskate. Who could live on that?

You can live on that here - I earn about that and always have spare money to save. But I'm a student, live in an apartment and don't own a car.

For a recent graduate that's a really shit salary though. All my friends that graduated last year and are now working earn significantly more than that.

Resilient

It might not be very much money, but you get experience and get to live in NZ. Not a horrible deal.

DAMN am I in the 1900s again or what, dude WTF?

Straight up fucking exploitation, made worse by the fact that programming is basically dead in NZ and AU due to lack of work, but yea, let's import talent and pay them peanuts.

Yep, definitely not a horrible deal for Dean Hall. For the graduates, that is another story. I very much doubt the studio is going to pay for relocation and other such things WHILE also taking advantage of the graduates salary wise.

Sakura

That is horrible. I could work at Walmart and make close to that. I don't think the visas should be granted.
He says he may be forced to move the operation to another country... what other first world country is he going to be able to pay such a low wage?

diamount

Banned
With all the money DayZ brought in, hiring programmers at $23k USD is insulting.

I thought Bohemia got the lionshare of that? Although, that probably makes sense if he went to form his own studio. But yeah, working your ass off for years and then to get paid a pittance is an insult and I hope nobody goes for it.

baphomet

Good on the government. You want to exploit people paying them what they could be making working at a fucking McDonalds to help you make millions? Good thing I've never spent a cent on this assholes games, nor will I ever.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's a bottom of the barrel salary. Either Dean is being cheap as fuck or he has little to no funding and hoping to scale up to a decent sized team in order to be able to put out a project faster while he still can.

Wonder what kind of deal he got with DayZ Standalone. We know the game made huge returns but how much of that did he actually see?

JDSN

Banned
A game that is not a game, paid with money that isnt money.

What an asshole, if he wants people working for shit while being abused he should do like everyone else a move to Usa.

shandy706

$23k in parts of the US is great starting out, but I gather from this thread that's pocket change in NZ. Edit* I'm old, see page 2.

Cost of living is the key to it all.

I live in one of the top 3 cheapest places in the US though.

$80-$100k can get a 3 bedroom house outside of a city here.

Dryk

He should move to Silicon Valley. With that shitty attitude towards his workers he'll fit right in.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
Wow that is really shitty pay and I'm kind of glad the govt is disputing this.
Only positive I can see is they are setting up in Dunedin and not Auckland. Living in Auckland is so damn expensive at the moment!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yeah, no. New Zealand or not, they're paying you a wage that most of the US Middle Class gets above ($30-40K in the US for the middle class depending on industry). Why be paid less to go to New Zealand to develop games for Dean?

He could offer a more attractive salary, but having said that NZ Immigration is a clunky, bureaucratic beast, it's a horrible department to have to deal with.

he plans to offer them $35k NZD/year ($23k USD, £15k) for the privilege.
Wow what the fuck. They would be better off working at McDonalds o_O

Dean Hall really rubs me the wrong way. Can't see him lasting much longer in game dev after the whole DayZ fiasco and now this kind of stuff.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
lord pie said:
According to the article, Dean Hall (DayZ developer) wants to expand his small game studio in Dunedin, New Zealand. It's currently 6 people, he wants to bump it up to ~30, with another 30 in the future. This is awesome. I grew up in New Zealand, and it's fair to say there are bugger all options for game dev jobs back home.

It is not fair to say that at all as there are around a dozen game studios here currently hiring including off the top of my head us at PikPok, Ninja Kiwi, Runaway, Grinding Gear Games, Gameloft, Magic Leap, Mostly Tigerproof etc who all have advertised vacancies. Great that Dean is spurring growth even further though, and Dunedin hasn't had much of an industry to date in particular outside of what Tim Nixon has been able to do.

A challenge he'll face is every other game developer in NZ with programmer vacancies is offering more, so people have the opportunity to live here in NZ, get the experience, and get paid more (though it is cheaper to live in Dunedin than other bigger cities). Will have been 15 years or so since we had a programming graduate start on that level.

The other issue he'll face is it will basically be impossible to get work visas for immigrants without experience.

And then building a "AAA" game on a foundation of graduates will also be an issue (not sure what the makeup of the UK studio is).

I haven't really talked with him about his plan though, so I don't have any insight into his strategy here which may be very sound.

WedgeX

Banned
$23k in parts of the US is great starting out, but I gather from this thread that's pocket change in NZ.

For a college graduate? What part of the US? Flint, MI?

Rocket seems to be addressing the news now over at reddit. I am unhappy with how he's running the business but I greatly appreciate his willingness to speak with the community.

$23k in parts of the US is great starting out, but I gather from this thread that's pocket change in NZ.

What 23k for someone with a degree, is horrible. 23k for somewone with a stem degree is insulting.

The Llama

Did you read my post? Try a few more times.

Believe me, I read it 3 times to make sure my eyes weren't going bad. But nope, you literally said $23k a year is "great starting out." I don't care how cheap it is where you live, $23k starting for a college grad is not "great" in any way.

Top Bottom