• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Hall to leave Bohemia and step down as leader of DayZ

Taker34

Banned
Ok, what a shame. I definitely wish him good luck with his new studio but on the other hand I don't understand how he can abandon his game/project. I personally can't imagine letting other people finishing my vision. Did his motivations change or why can't he be fully involved until DayZ is what he wanted it to be? It just seems as if he doesn't care anymore... and that's really sad. What happened to the energetic Dean Hall who made this all possible?

Don't think it's right to call your current project (which is continuing to be sold and developed) fundamentally flawed.

Even if that is how he feels, I can imagine that the people he's leaving behind feel like that statement is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Mods are mods, alphas are alphas. Don't buy if you aren't committed, pretty simple stuff.
Yeah, but people have bought it to support his vision and now he's leaving and handing it off onto some other dude.

The ARMA engine is a janky mess, it's probably a good thing he's leaving - but it still is kind of shitty to announce you're leaving before the game is anywhere near done.

iNvid02

this is the risk people accept when buying alphas and betas through early access, there is no way of knowing if the final product will turn out like the store page described.

take the hit and move on, dean will be.

ZoddGutts

Probably for the best. The updates for DayZ have been too slow, even Rust has gotten quicker and more consistent updates, heck it now has more players playing Rust than DayZ. Feels like DayZ has lost some steam.

TimFL

So glad this guy is gone. Never liked him. Not going to buy DayZ though until it's a proper game and no crap performance tech-demo

Slair

From reddit:

Rocket said:
To clarify a couple of important points:

I'm still the project lead of DayZ, and there are currently no plans I'm aware of to replace me in that role.

Ultimately, even if I did leave - DayZ belongs to Bohemia and there is a very large and ever-growing team of people working on it. While I appreciate the sentiment, It's rather insulting to them to suggest that without me the whole project would suddenly implode. The community, Bohemia, and myself have plenty of time to make plans for the long term development: but whatever happens I want to be back with my family in 2015.

Bohemia develop's and sells DayZ. I contracted to assist them with this process on a yearly basis. I certainly don't get all, most, or even the large share of sales money. That money goes to the studio which is used to fund development - as it should be. This is used to hire really skilled and awesome people - it's those people who develop the game and I've been working with those talented people to realize the vision.

I miss home, I want to return to New Zealand to be with my family after being away many years. It is my intention to do that next year, but I'm flexible. I said the same thing internally last year, this year I'm being more deliberate about it so everyone can plan for it.

I'm very critical of the work I do, I believe that's why I can do work that ends up quite successful. I'm very critical not just of the delivery of work I do but the base concepts behind them. I like to share and discuss those critiques because I think that makes me a better designer through the process.

I hate to be that guy but... here we are... Leaving the game in alpha state (I doubt it will be any decent beta when he'll be gone) and people paid a full priced pre alpha and the guy is going away. Good for him I guess, but it's a model I can't get behind. Just way to expensive for long pre alpha

That is pretty surprising to hear. Probably will have a lot of angry fans because of the promises he made for DayZ.

On the other side I can imagine the many responses towards him about the development of DayZ were the reason he decided to step down. It seemed clear that he had gotten pretty depressed when he constantly had to apologize for the delay of the alpha.

Anyhow, I wish him the best of luck.

This doesn't make any sense. The game isn't being abandoned, so who is to say that it won't reach the promises made? Not to mention, if he doesn't plan on leaving till the end of the year, the odds are he doesn't plan on leaving until DayZ gets out of Early Access.

SJRB

Gold Member
What a mindless thing to say at this stage of the game's development. Dude needs a PR employee or someone with some common sense to help him a bit.

FStop7

Banned
Way to shit on the team doing all the heavy lifting on the game. Dean isn't a one man army on this. There are plenty of skilled people that will continue working on it.

He's not "shitting" on anything. He doesn't owe them anything. He bought a product with a certain expectation and is dissatisfied.

PaNaMa

Banned
I'll break it down for you like this:

I bought DayZ early access with the belief that Dean Hall(HIS VISION) would see it through to completion based on his numerous interviews where he put forth future plans for the game up to its "end game" aka base building, dynamic ai events and other features.

He has now said he is leaving and stated it's a "flawed concept".

I wonder how many sales he would have gotten on Steam if in the description of the Early Access he said he was leaving the game in the middle of development and that the game was a flawed concept.

It just rubs me the wrong way and as a paying customer, I can bitch about it.

I agree with this assessment. I am a little miffed, too.

My thoughts? Dean realized that no matter what they do, DayZ boils down to players gearing themselves up, to the get best military stuff they can get...as fast as they can get it.. then going to hunt other players and shoot then into ribbons. No matter what new elements they add, towns, gimmicks like handcuffs and forcefeed etc, it always comes down to shooting the other guy before he shoots you. Zombies don't even factor into this game. Pop them with your axe once, or just run them off. They are irrelevant.

Maybe it's game engine limits and back end database limits (think it is) that really prohibit the current iteration of Dayz from becoming something more

My idea? Have multiple player Factions. 3. That way, not every human is a direct combat threat, so your first thought isn't always kos kos kos. Have it so other players on the server are on your side. You work to help out your own guys. Get the vehicles out there, slow down running so you can't go from NE airfield to NW airfield in 15 minutes.

Have 3 starting cities, with appropriate city defense options one for each faction. Embrace the war element of it, and encourage player cooperation within their own ranks, via the faction system. Help your noobs gear up. Increase the zombie counts so everyone has to deal with them.

Have military type installations and the best loot spawns, including vehicles, exist in those nether-areas. Players will have to deal with other factions to access the best stuff, but can still survive etc going from town to town .. but can still encounter other factions while doing so.

GodofWine

So he is leaving in 10 months, after vehicles, bases, revised and increased zombies, and all feature content is complete and the game is in beta, where it will be optimized.

fine with that. He is the creative force behind the game and by then it will be what its going to be...and he can leave the wonky arma engine behind.

The game even in its alpha state has been a breath of fresh air, add vehicles and bases and higher player / AI count servers and thats all the game would ever be, a bumch of psychopaths driving around chernaeus, thinking of amzingly bizarre things to do...brilliant.

best 29.99 ive ever spent on a game.

TyrantII

Keep chasing that white whale!

Hmmm. Wonder if this leads credence to the rumor of MS moneyhatting console exclusivity.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hate to be that guy but... here we are... Leaving the game in alpha state (I doubt it will be any decent beta when he'll be gone) and people paid a full priced pre alpha and the guy is going away. Good for him I guess, but it's a model I can't get behind. Just way to expensive for long pre alpha

I hope more high profile Early Access and Kickstarter projects bomb hard. This game and Star Citizen failing would be awesome. That will set a nice precedent moving forward, stopping this horrible practice from becoming the norm. As much as I'm interested in Star Citizen, a sacrificial bombing will be worth it.

mnannola

This is early access everyone. You are paying for an alpha, and that is it. You are not paying for a finished product, and there is no guarantee you will get a finished product. Anyone buying these early access games and assuming they are going to get the complete game promised to them needs to open their eyes to how Early Access is set up.

On the other hand, if people are happy with the alpha they purchased, I don't see anything wrong with that. I just think the majority of people buying these games are assuming they will see a feature complete, mostly bug free game at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully this shows that anything can happen with early access games, and the only thing guaranteed is the alpha you are paying for.

TyrantII

I hope more high profile Early Access and Kickstarter projects bomb hard. This game and Star Citizen failing would be awesome. That will set a nice precedent moving forward, stopping this horrible practice from becoming the norm. As much as I'm interested in Star Citizen, a sacrificial bombing will be worth it.

Why? Whats wrong with direct crowd funding?

We all know the problems with publisher funding and support. Especially when they grow into behemoths that look more to influence the markets than compete in a marketplace. The almost complete death of AA/B titles is a good example. AAA innovation slowing to a crawl is another.

cripterion

it's interesting to see the mentality of people in here thinking dayz is just down to a single person.

even big aaa games with 'faces' like kojima or levine attached are more than just those people.

don't be dumbasses. bohemia know dayz is a start of a cash cow potentially on sub-minecraft levels, they're not going to let the game stagnate and rot.

Yet developpement on the game seems incredibly slow... one would think they would have made more progress if they wanted to cash in on this success.

Kinda crappy to hear him leaving and especially hearing him say it while the game isn't nearly done but I understand he won't leave for a while. Just sounds weird to announce it now.

I am a little annoyed by it

The thing is: he is leaving by the end of this year. The game has been updated on a weekly basis, so I'm pretty sure it will be very near completion before Christmas. Near enough for the team to finish whatever is left without Hall anyway.

So yeah. If that is what he wants to do, then more power to him. He made a very successful brand, and something I enjoy playing with my friends.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why? Whats wrong with direct crowd funding?

We all know the problems with publisher funding and support. Especially when they grow into behemoths that look more to influence the markets than compete in a marketplace. The almost complete death of AA/B titles is a good example. AAA innovation slowing to a crawl is another.

I'm going to preface this statement with I know it's not every beggar on KS or Early Access. Aside from me being pro-consumer in an anti-consumer industry, there are enough instances of self aggrandizing developers for me to never back a project. These egoists don't care about their backers. I've heard stories of more than one occasion of "Fuck the backers!" when it comes to design changing decisions. At least publishers or investors have a stick to smack these code monkeys back in their place. Crowdfunding has no such penalty. Once you're in, you're in and you're done.

I await the non-lawyers replies to me about how these developers could be sued by backers or some other such nonsense.

With his history of hating fun and wanting the game to be as difficult as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last patch/update:

- Removed food respawns after they are taken. Much more realistic.
- Once all characters die from hunger, no new characters can be created, as it's not realistic.
- Until then, new characters start as babies, much more realistic.
- QWOP controls, the body is a complicated machine.

FStop7

Banned
Good thing that product is still going to be developed and iterated on for the foreseeable future.

But that might not be he (the unhappy customer) wants. And it's certainly reasonable to express doubt and skepticism about someone's commitment when they announce their departure so far in advance.

It's just business, it's not a personal relationship. The customer bought something with an expectation, his expectation isn't being met, so he's no longer using the product. He's not "shitting" on anything, he doesn't owe anyone anything, they don't owe him anything.

TyrantII

I'm going to preface this statement with I know it's not every beggar on KS or Early Access. Aside from me being pro-consumer in an anti-consumer industry, there are enough instances of self aggrandizing developers for me to never back a project. These egoists don't care about their backers. I've heard stories of more than one occasion of "Fuck the backers!" when it comes to design changing decisions. At least publishers or investors have a stick to smack these code monkeys back in their place. Crowdfunding has no such penalty. Once you're in, you're in and you're done.

I await the non-lawyers replies to me about how these developers could be sued by backers or some other such nonsense.

Buyer beware.

I don't see how it's any different either way. See BF4 alpha, Alien Colonial Marines, DNF, et al.

mnannola

He may be staying on for another year, but it seems like he has mentally checked out. He will just do the minimum to keep the game going, and will spend his spare time fleshing out other ideas he has.

This is what happens when you let creative people release a product way before it is ready. No matter what disclaimers are put on it, when everyone is allowed to buy the product, it has been released.

-MD-

To have him work on the mod/standalone for like half a decade and come out and call the game a flawed concept really rubs me the wrong way.

Odrion

Banned
Uh oh, so I guess "When you release your product early, you lose the incentive to finish it." is applicable here.

I really liked Early Access too, I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.

I totally understand not wanting to be married to one project for life, but his comments regarding DayZ seem a little rude considering there's a whole team working on the game.

Cowie

Time to update that steam page.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS A FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED CONCEPT. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND NEVER HAVING THE ABSOLUTE SPARK YOU WANT IN IT.

KissVibes

Banned
You've played it for 52 hours.

On what planet would you get your money back?

I was being hyperbolic, which you must know is something I do since you took the time to look at my steam account. I'd imagine you must be one of the C tier guys from DayZ GAF or something.

$30 was paid to help fund development with the expectation that Dean Hall would be involved in full capacity. Announcing a YEAR IN ADVANCE that he's leaving tells me that he doesn't care about the project anymore and is already thinking about what he'd rather be doing.

It doesn't matter if I never played it or played 1000 hours, I have reason to believe that the investment made isn't going to pay off and ideally would want it to be returned. It's not even my $30, I was gifted the game. I would want it returned to that person.

1.5 million people have invested money into a product that he's called a flawed concept. It's an incredible slap in the face to everyone, especially those who are going to now be doing most of the work and oversight on the product going forward.

Stimpack

Take-the-Money-and-Run-Critics.jpg

I guess I'll be in the minority but I'm not happy.

I bought the game under the impression and thinking that Dean Hall would see the game through to his "vision" a.k.a. completion. The fact he is stepping down when the game will only be at beta(from his and Bohemia's estimates) I'm not happy. I know he had sold the game/I.P. to Bohemia but I thought he'd finish it and not effectively leave in the middle of development.

Great job Dean! I'll make sure to avoid any future purchases from your new company or any game you "start" because you've already set the precedent you won't see it to completion.

This is pretty much how I feel. He made such grandiose promises, and now he'll be leaving before any of them ever see the light of day. The end of the year? Really? This shit just started and he's out the door.

soontroll

Banned
Dean's reply to ''When you say ''fundamentally flawed'', why is this?''

That was one comment made in the middle of a four hour interview :)
What I'm referring to there, is that I see DayZ as having elements of the "ultimate multiplayer experience" but I was discussing with the interviewer all the things that I did not think were perfect about DayZ. We were discussing the ways in which I believe the concept - the core design - that I came up with is flawed. There are things the game cannot do because of the way I designed it. These are important lessons that I take heed of.
However, they don't detract from the game at all, and indeed to change these would dramatically change the game and not necessarily for the better (for example: I could just be completely wrong). The DayZ game should head in the direction it is, but any future game I make should take into account what I feel are flaws in my previous design(s).

Wouldn't you say you're just being a perfectionist though?

Yes, I believe that's what it is. But the reason I make games is because of my dream to do this. It does not matter to me if I achieve that or not, I enjoy the challenge of trying to meet that goal.

I would be so burnt out on it

I would not say I am at that point now, but by the end of 2014 I will have been working for over three years on the project. I need to ensure that I eventually start transitioning to me being back in New Zealand. I can't sustain the pace of development I have been putting myself through for the few years. It's been a 24/7, no break, activity. There is no "off" days for me, there are always media requests, drama, problems, issues - it never ends.

Top Bottom