• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear 343 bring back the 1- 50 ranking

Please 343 bring back the 1-50 ranking. What made Halo 2, and especially Halo 3 addicting wasn't just the game play, but the ranking system. I spent hours upon hours to getting a 50 in team slayer. That dangling carrot made Halo addicting for me to constantly play. Also it made a reason to prevent others from getting it.

It needs to come back. My most fun time with Halo has been Halo 3. Bringing a return to form, should also bring back the 1-50 ranking system.

Last edited:

Phase

As much as everyone would love it, I still doubt they would bring it back.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bang on. Let me swing my big Five Star General dick around. Also, make the confetti ‘yay’ headshot mandatory for everyone.

tumblr_maqlwzrsLj1qddiv8o1_500.gif

FeldMonster

I am fine with the NUMBERS 1 through 50 coming back (Instead of Bronze through Diamond 1-6, Onyx, Champion), but I am strongly against the 1-50 ranking progression.

The way Halo 5 handles this is far superior. 10 placement matches against the full pool of opponents (any rank) which generates your initial rank. Then you oscillate around that rank as you win and lose. (Though personally, I wish that your personal performance mattered more than strictly wins/lossses).

The problem with ranking up all the way from 1 is that lower skilled players are punished by being forced to play with high skill players. All skill levels start at 1, even if you were a level 50 player. So anytime a high level player is ranking up, they get to clean up against low level lobbies. With the 10 placement match system, you only have to suffer against 10 matches against the full field of players. This problem is even worse today with resetting ranks, which rarely (if ever?) happened in the Halo 2 era. Every season, the ranks resetting, and the problem begins anew.

Read through the Truskill2 white paper. Link to page where you can download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...kill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I can't remember what number I maxed out at, 27 maybe? I could not go beyond that no matter what. Granted I spent most of my time in the nonranked lobbies playing hippies with gamertags like "420budsmokkka."

I am fine with the NUMBERS 1 through 50 coming back (Instead of Bronze through Diamond 1-6, Onyx, Champion), but I am strongly against the 1-50 ranking progression.

The way Halo 5 handles this is far superior. 10 placement matches against the full pool of opponents (any rank) which generates your initial rank. Then you oscillate around that rank as you win and lose. (Though personally, I wish that your personal performance mattered more than strictly wins/lossses).

The problem with ranking up all the way from 1 is that lower skilled players are punished by being forced to play with high skill players. All skill levels start at 1, even if you were a level 50 player. So anytime a high level player is ranking up, they get to clean up against low level lobbies. With the 10 placement match system, you only have to suffer against 10 matches against the full field of players. This problem is even worse today with resetting ranks, which rarely (if ever?) happened in the Halo 2 era. Every season, the ranks resetting, and the problem begins anew.

Read through the Truskill2 white paper. Link to page where you can download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...kill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/
they can improve upon it, but the number ranking was superior. It produced a definite goal.

Top Bottom