• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear J-GAF: Take the 1000 Yen Challenge (approved by Kenji Eno.)

LiveFromKyoto said:
Pretty much. Doing this in North America will probably just land you a couple of outdated sports games.

Ha ha, you think you've got it bad. You'd be lucky to get anything for £6 (Or whatever the equivilent is in £ sterling) here in ripoff Britain :(

LiveFromKyoto said:
Pretty much. Doing this in North America will probably just land you a couple of outdated sports games.
Kyle Orland actually did a pretty decent job of it in Pittsburgh, although he bumped the limit up to $20, which seems reasonable.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ha ha, you think you've got it bad. You'd be lucky to get anything for £6 (Or whatever the equivilent is in £ sterling) here in ripoff Britain :(
Seriously. I tried to find old used games in Ireland and the only thing that seemed at all interesting was a copy of James Pond II for Master System for 10 euro :(

8bit

Knows the Score
Kobun Heat said:
Seriously. I tried to find old used games in Ireland and the only thing that seemed at all interesting was a copy of James Pond II for Master System for 10 euro :(

You'd be lucky to get Arcadia for the Vic-20 for less than a fiver. Gamestation seem to think retrofetishists will pour into their stores.

Yama

I love that D cover, hilarious! :lol Great game to boot.

Will do this when there in a few months, expect a late bump. :)

matmanx1

Amazing thread. Wish I was in Japan so I could participate! Thanks for the lists and pics, very interesting stuff!

DR2K

Banned
I think a $20 is more reasonable(for the US). Even then I doubt I could find that many quality games for so little, but I'll go shopping around tomorrow.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

i used to hit up the local/close to work CashConvertors. Lots of bargains :D

Cheesemeister , give me a shout on PM, i'm up for giving it another go though getting out of the house is a little tricky these days :D

Sales and clear outs are on now... it's insanity. I got 30+ games last week for a grand total of.... 0 yen.

Nothing particularly good - and zero yen "purchases" are cheating - but hey! can't look a box of free games in the mouth!

WhiteAce said:
i used to hit up the local/close to work CashConvertors. Lots of bargains :D

Yeah. Somebody told me to go to the Dublin CashConvertors and after like 30 minutes of walking through OMG SOME CRAZY MOTHERFUCKER IS GOING TO STAB ME IN THIS GHETTO I got there and there was nothing :(

What the hell store had free games?!

robox

o59n3p.jpg

do this with more modern stuff?

x360 64MB memory card 100y
x360 live 250y
x360 hdd 20(GB?) 500y
dead rising 1800y
last remnant 500y
lost odyssey 500y
blue dragon 500y
trusty bell/eternal sonata 300y
project sylpheed 300y
ace combat 6 1500y
resident evil 5 2000y
gears of war 1500y
x360 component 100y
x360 core system 4200y
something
something

so, x360 + 9 games for 16000y-ish. not quite in the same realm, but still astonishing how cheap things are over there..
man.... 300y games... when gamestop'll only give you $5 discount off new price. disc-only.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That reminds me that NY GAF has to help me find out the best stores with the cheapest prices around. It'll be my first time in the US, and I'm willing to spend all my monies in gaming goodies :p

Kobun Heat said:
If you're headed to Japan at some point, take the challenge and see what you can scrounge for under 10 bucks. It is fun.

I'm going to be in Tokyo from April 4th to the 13th with my wife, I'll try to see how much I can get for 1000 yen.

distantmantra said:
I'm going to be in Tokyo from April 4th to the 13th with my wife, I'll try to see how much I can get for 1000 yen.
YOU ARE AWESOME.

I don't make myself stick to one day of shopping, fwiw. I spread it out over my entire time in Tokyo and am really choosy about what I buy.

Kobun Heat said:
YOU ARE AWESOME.

I don't make myself stick to one day of shopping, fwiw. I spread it out over my entire time in Tokyo and am really choosy about what I buy.

Maybe I can get the locals I'm meeting up with for a Giants game to point me in the direction of good used/recycle shops. My last time there I did most of my shopping at the Traders in Akihabara, and I know there are better deals to be had in Tokyo.

I should stick to just old giant robot titles and see how many I can get for 1,000 yen.

distantmantra said:
Maybe I can get the locals I'm meeting up with for a Giants game to point me in the direction of good used/recycle shops. My last time there I did most of my shopping at the Traders in Akihabara, and I know there are better deals to be had in Tokyo.
Super Potato's discount bin is a gold mine, ditto Retro Game Camp's upstairs area.

I would like to partecipate to the contest.
Here is what i bought today :

1000yen.jpg

Puyo Puyo Sun : 280yen
Fighters Megamix : 80yen
Virtua Fighter : 100yen
VF Portrait Vol.2 Jackie Bryant : 105yen
VF Portrait Vol.9 Kagemaru : 100yen
Virtua Fighter Kids : 50yen
VF Portrait Vol.3 Akira Yuki : 50yen
VF Portrait Vol.6 Lau Chan : 50yen
VF Portrait Vol.5 Wolf : 100yen
VF Portrait Vol.4 Pai Chan : 50yen

Total of games : 10
Total spent : 965yen

Kobun Heat said:
Super Potato's discount bin is a gold mine, ditto Retro Game Camp's upstairs area.

I don't have a Saturn anymore, and I don't think the wife would be too thrilled if I picked one up, but it should still be doable with GC/DC/PSX/PS2/GB games.

Moor-Angol said:
I would like to partecipate to the contest.
If the contest was to get as many VF Portrait discs as humanly possible, you'd be a front-runner for sure!

EDIT: But seriously, I'm still waiting for somebody else to try this with mostly quirky old cartridge games, rather than Saturn/Dreamcast...

I did decent last week considering my wife wouldn't let me go through Chameleon Club's huge clearance sale they were having for the new year.

Legend of Mana- 200
Another Century Episode 1- 500
Soma Bringer- 480
Front Mission: Gun Hazard- 200

I even managed to get my Kaijuu Busters for under 4000! I was really happy about that.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pictures to follow but:

Robot Ponkottsu (N64) - ¥38
Pokémon Snap (N64) - ¥28
ZORK I (SS) - ¥38
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3D0) - ¥30
Dragon Force (SS) - ¥18
Ogre Battle 64 (N64) - ¥10
Quest 64 (N64) - ¥78
Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing (N64) - ¥78
Funky Fantasy (SS) - ¥18
Virtural Hydlide (SS) - ¥20
Space Channel 5 (DC) - ¥38
Bangai-O (N64) - ¥598

Total Spent: ¥992

12 games over 4 systems. Yeah, Bangai-O cost me 60% of my budget, but fuck you. In box Bangai-O for ¥598?

RevenantKioku said:
Pictures to follow but:

Robot Ponkottsu (N64) - ¥38
Pokémon Snap (N64) - ¥28
ZORK I (SS) - ¥38
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3D0) - ¥30
Dragon Force (SS) - ¥18
Ogre Battle 64 (N64) - ¥10
Quest 64 (N64) - ¥78
Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing (N64) - ¥78
Funky Fantasy (SS) - ¥18
Virtural Hydlide (SS) - ¥20
Space Channel 5 (DC) - ¥38
Bangai-O (N64) - ¥598

Total Spent: ¥992

12 games over 4 systems. Yeah, Bangai-O cost me 60% of my budget, but fuck you. In box Bangai-O for ¥598?
Ogre Battle 64 for ¥10 is just ridiculous :lol. Need to go back to Japan sometime again heh...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I just looked up Bangai O 64 on Yahoo! Auctions and it goes for 8 times as much cart only. I so scored on that.

My regret was missing the two ¥100 copy of Samba de Amigo with maracas, but my friends each got one.

Total Game Rankings Score: 732.99

Gameranking exchange rate: 1 yen = 0.746 Game Raking Points

I blame Quest 64, mostly.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
People take so good care of their games in Japan, too. You can easily find used mint condition games and there'll be plently of copies to choose from. I used to do weekly raids going through 4 or 5 shops back when I was an exchange student. Good times.

DCharlie

I'm still waiting for somebody else to try this with mostly quirky old cartridge games,

thats the route i'm going next, but i know some of the OMG BARGAIN stuff i already own (Daruma Dojo for 50 yen for a start!) that would fill it with AWESOME but ... would kind&ve be cheating as i really should hunt stuff i don't have.

RevenantKioku

Flavius said:
Holy hell...Dragon Force for just 180 yen???

And I thought I got a deal picking it up for $5 10 years ago...
No, ¥18. :D

Kobun Heat said:
If the contest was to get as many VF Portrait discs as humanly possible, you'd be a front-runner for sure!

EDIT: But seriously, I'm still waiting for somebody else to try this with mostly quirky old cartridge games, rather than Saturn/Dreamcast...

I can switch from 3 VF Portrait (150yen) to Virtual Hydlide (180yen) :D

I don't buy only cartridges, i always buy complete parts (disc/cartridge, manual, regcad and obi (spinecard for western people) for PS1,DC,SS games), so probably i'm not so good to partecipate to the contest.
Also this winter i just wanted to increase my PS2 and SS collection, that's the reason i just showed SS games. And it's not easy, cause most of SS games you can find everywhere are missing the spinecard...

Gyrian

These are all kinds of awesome.
I'm really digging some of the more obscure pickups there, like the VF CG portraits.
Props to the poster who found a 3DO Policenauts Pilot Disk, too.

Best of all, it's Sega Saturn heaven! Anything with the Capcom logo on that system, go!

Xater

Kobun Heat said:

Because I will also be there in April. What's a got place for PSP/DS games? I'd like to pick up some mecha stuff. :D

I'm totally going to see how many crappy mecha titles I can get for 1,000 yen in April. I own pretty much everything mecha on the PS2, so I'll be hitting up the PS1 and DC primarily.

Well here's my early February haul. I'm just going to copypasta it here from the regular pickup post. Thanks distantmantra for directing me to this page. I think my pickups will be more appreciated here as most of the posters on the standard monthly pickup threads are into newer stuff.

I buy a handful of older Saturn/Dreamcast games monthly but I remembered to take pics this time. I got GetBass+Controller for 200 yen, Xmen VS Streetfighter with 4MB expansion memory for 100yen, Bakubaku Animal (awesome puzzle game) for another 100, and finally Saturn Bomberman Fight for 100 yen. Not pictured here is an additional white official Saturn Backup Memory saves cartridge I also found for 100 in perfect shape.

DSC00006.jpg

I'm not really good at 2d fighters but I like to collect stuff, especially if it's cheap. Plus, the 4meg cart is worth more than the whole bundle if I were to get it loose anyway. I think I did good. :D

DSC00003-6.jpg

DSC00004-2.jpg

So far in one store I was able to pick up 3 games and a special controller for 600yen. I have done much better, especially when I get a 2 for one sale going on. :D

I have taken the 1,000 yen challenge...

1000yen.jpg

Price tags do not always reflect what I actually paid for each tite:
Power Pro Baseball -- 50 yen
SD Gundam G Generation Zero (w/preorder bonus cards) -- 70 yen
SD Gundam Over Galaxian -- 50 yen
Super Robot Wars F -- 200 yen
Super Robot Wars F Final -- 200 yen
Macross: Do You Remember Love? -- 100 yen
Mobile Suit Gundam: Ghiren's Greed -- 50 yen
Mobile Suit Gundam Sidestory I -- 200 yen
Gundam Battle Online -- 100 yen
GRAND TOTAL: 1,000 yen

distantmantra said:
I have taken the 1,000 yen challenge...

Price tags do not always reflect what I actually paid for each tite:
Power Pro Baseball -- 50 yen
SD Gundam G Generation Zero (w/preorder bonus cards) -- 70 yen
SD Gundam Over Galaxian -- 50 yen
Super Robot Wars F -- 200 yen
Super Robot Wars F Final -- 200 yen
Macross: Do You Remember Love? -- 100 yen
Mobile Suit Gundam: Ghiren's Greed -- 50 yen
Mobile Suit Gundam Sidestory I -- 200 yen
Gundam Battle Online -- 100 yen
GRAND TOTAL: 1,000 yen

Nice haul.

Lately GEO video rental stores have been having a 50 yen sale on all cartridge based games, Saturn, and Dreamcast games. I've been making out like a bandit.

DCharlie

i will shake your hand on Over Galaxian and Macros this weekend...

:unf :unf :unf

also, i have been considering a 10k yen challenge. Because i been getting some INSANE stuff recently :D

10ppvl1.jpg

Gunners Heaven (!) - 300 yen.
Final Fantasy VII - 105 yen.
Welcome House - 105 yen.
Parodius Deluxe Pack - 105 yen.
Robbit Mon Dieu - 105 yen.
Arc the Lad - 105 yen.
Tekken 2 - 105 yen.

Around 930 or so.

And I picked up a copy of Gradius Gaiden for 1,200 yen which was a pretty good score itself.

DCharlie said:
i will shake your hand on Over Galaxian and Macros this weekend...

:unf :unf :unf

also, i have been considering a 10k yen challenge. Because i been getting some INSANE stuff recently :D

I got Dungeons and Dragons Collection for the Saturn today for 1,420 yen. :eek:

I didn't know there was a Grandia for GBC. Is it any good? That's a lot of good stuff for 1000. I hope you have time to play it all some day :D

I haven't gone junk shop diving for a couple of months now. I wonder what I can turn up this weekend...

Top Bottom