• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear J-GAF: Take the 1000 Yen Challenge (approved by Kenji Eno.)

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
RedNumberFive said:
Pickup of the millenium?

For real. I look for D&d collection everytime I go to book off, or hard off...no luck. I got Guardian Heroes for 980, UT3 for 980, Im going to be heading over to the mother of all recycle shops in 2 weeks. last time I was there I had some amazing finds.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
4812610112_62abc783ff_z.jpg

And another set to grow on. I think I cleaned out this place completely.

firehawk12 said:
What's that game in the middle?
Itadaki Street 2 for Super Famicom. It's a Japanese board game kind of like Monopoly, kinda, and is famous in recent years for having cameos from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Nintendo characters.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Thanks guys, I forgot to mark the games. But I think everything else besides that is ovbious, no?
The funny thing is that for some reason Picross 2 came with Mario Picross's manual.

I bought Drakengard for $5, and am enjoying it quite a bit- I'm about 20 hours in, seen 1 ending. I'd love to meet Yoko Taro someday and have him sign it.

mutsu

Just got back from Japan, and I think I scored a real bargain.

- Starfox Assault (GameCube) - 500yen (BRAND NEW)
- The Legend of Zelda - Kaze no Takt - 500yen (BRAND NEW)

I picked up Shining Force III Scenarios 1-3 for 100 yen each last week and I thought I wouldn't be able to top that. Boy was I wrong...

Hooo boy did I come up with some good stuff today!

I decided to drive over to a couple cities over and check out their Hard Offs and other game stores. I lucked out. Please forgive me for my crappy shots. I used my cellphone's 5.2 MP camera in HD mode.

DVC00017.jpg

I picked up an unopened copy of Chrono Trigger SNES J, Virtua Racing Saturn, and a Dream Eye for Sega Dreamcast. I rarely find sealed stuff at Hard Off, but I really lucked out good this time.

The Dream Eye was never opened and the batteries inside the packaging exploded from being 10 years old. Every thing else inside was just fine and still sealed. Even the box wasn't faded or dinged up. An incredible find.

DVC00018.jpg

DVC00019.jpg

DVC00020.jpg

DVC00024.jpg

I also picked up a copy of VOOT for Dreamcast, a PS1 memory card, and Fire Pro Wrestling 6 men scramble for Saturn.

DVC00027.jpg

All in all it was a great haul and I only spent less than 1000 yen for the lot!
DVC00026.jpg

I may end up ebaying the dream eye and Chrono Trigger as they seem to be worth a ton of cash and I really don't need or want either of them. I do admit that Chrono Trigger box art looks pretty slick though. Usually I find loose carts or bent out of shape, faded boxes.

Find of a lifetime? Probably not, I expect to find even better stuff but this does top the list.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RevenantKioku said:
4812610112_62abc783ff_z.jpg

And another set to grow on. I think I cleaned out this place completely.
You can get all that for 1000 yen?

God damn it, I wish we had bargain bin games like this. The only time I ever came close to that was when Gamestop clearanced out all the Gameboy games, so I payed $.15/$1 on there already bottomed out prices for Gameboy games.

I think the most expensive game I bought was Mega Man V for $2.25. That was a fun day.

Brofist

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I may end up ebaying the dream eye and Chrono Trigger as they seem to be worth a ton of cash and I really don't need or want either of them. I do admit that Chrono Trigger box art looks pretty slick though. Usually I find loose carts or bent out of shape, faded boxes.

Find of a lifetime? Probably not, I expect to find even better stuff but this does top the list.

Not the Japanese version of CT, $10 at best, maybe a little more for being sealed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kpop100 said:
Not the Japanese version of CT, $10 at best, maybe a little more for being sealed.
I don't know, make sure it shows up on the US version of Ebay, and you should be able to get a good amount IMO.

Brofist

Drkirby said:
I don't know, make sure it shows up on the US version of Ebay, and you should be able to get a good amount IMO.

I'm talking about the US version of ebay (there is no Japanese ebay anyway). There are a bunch of buy it now auctions for the SFC version of Chrono Trigger under $10 up to $20 at best on there.

Drkirby said:

I looked at recent sales on ebay for J Chrono Trigger. It averaged at or slightly below 100 dollars. Just because Gaf knows its real value doesn't mean deep pocketed ebayers don't. ;)

Brofist

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I looked at recent sales on ebay for J Chrono Trigger. It averaged at or slightly below 100 dollars. Just because Gaf knows its real value doesn't mean deep pocketed ebayers don't. ;)

Look up SFC Chrono Trigger ended auctions and you get auctions in the $10 range.

kpop100 said:
Look up SFC Chrono Trigger ended auctions and you get auctions in the $10 range.

I did and I still saw the ones I'm talking about. Why are you trying to argue this with me?

Honestly, if I don't sell it for over 10 its not going to ruin my day. I picked it up for pocket change. XD

Edit: Perhaps Chrono Trigger isn't so special but what was special is that it was still in its factory wrap. :/ The Dream Eye was the bigger catch for me.

Brofist

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I did and I still saw the ones I'm talking about. Why are you trying to argue this with me?

Honestly, if I don't sell it for over 10 its not going to ruin my day. I picked it up for pocket change. XD

Edit: Perhaps Chrono Trigger isn't so special but what was special is that it was still in its factory wrap. :/ The Dream Eye was the bigger catch for me.

:lol I'm not arguing just stating fact, it's the US version that fetches the big bucks. If you can pull $100 for it, by all means go for it.

kpop100 said:
:lol I'm not arguing just stating fact, it's the US version that fetches the big bucks. If you can pull $100 for it, by all means go for it.

I hope I didn't seem aggressive in that last post. Anyhow thanks for the head's up.

I look forward to seeing what other guys bring to this thread. :D How far can 1000 yen get you in retro games? Pretty far. XD

Brofist

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I hope I didn't seem aggressive in that last post. Anyhow thanks for the head's up.

I look forward to seeing what other guys bring to this thread. :D How far can 1000 yen get you in retro games? Pretty far. XD
It's all good, main point is you got a great deal regardless.

KTallguy

Banned
Anyone know of any good bargain shops in Osaka? I'm sort of new...
K-Town in Nagoya has some great stuff, but the really rare stuff is priced accordingly.

KTallguy

Banned
Super Potato is well and good but they are more popular now, and as a result, overpriced.
I want like, the backdoor shops that no one knows about... except awesome Gaffers!

I've explored den den town once, and I found a few ok looking shops, but nothing mind blowing yet.

KTallguy said:
Super Potato is well and good but they are more popular now, and as a result, overpriced.
I want like, the backdoor shops that no one knows about... except awesome Gaffers!

I've explored den den town once, and I found a few ok looking shops, but nothing mind blowing yet.

I figured as much. They used to be decent about 5 years back. I guess they've realized what a literal goldmine they sit upon. Retro gaming is now catching on in Japan again too which doesn't help much at all to importers.

If you are not limited to the big city part of Osaka and can venture out into the residential areas, you may have better luck with finding recycle shops and places like Book Off/Hard Off.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. My knowledge is limited to Yamanashi, Gunma, and Tokyo.

KTallguy

Banned
Upsidedown Fuji said:
I figured as much. They used to be decent about 5 years back. I guess they've realized what a literal goldmine they sit upon. Retro gaming is now catching on in Japan again too which doesn't help much at all to importers.

If you are not limited to the big city part of Osaka and can venture out into the residential areas, you may have better luck with finding recycle shops and places like Book Off/Hard Off.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. My knowledge is limited to Yamanashi, Gunma, and Tokyo.

No prob. Book Off doesn't seem as prevalent in Osaka compared to Tokyo/Nagoya.
But I've found some gems in those stores...

Damnit. I just came back from the summer to discover the Sendai Super Potato closed. That's a pretty big loss up here. Granted I was more of a window shopper, since my days of collecting games (fortunately) ended before I got to Japan, so I have no right to complain. But it's still disappointing.

mehdi_san

KTallguy said:
No prob. Book Off doesn't seem as prevalent in Osaka compared to Tokyo/Nagoya.
But I've found some gems in those stores...
Yeah Book Off you can't find some great stuff there usually. I also often visit GEO stores, it's sometimes a bit more expensive, but you can also find some good deals.
minor effort said:
Damnit. I just came back from the summer to discover the Sendai Super Potato closed. That's a pretty big loss up here. Granted I was more of a window shopper, since my days of collecting games (fortunately) ended before I got to Japan, so I have no right to complain. But it's still disappointing.
WHAT? There WAS a super potato in Sendai? WHERE???

mehdi_san said:
Yeah Book Off you can't find some great stuff there usually. I also often visit GEO stores, it's sometimes a bit more expensive, but you can also find some good deals.

Yeah, GEO rental video shops are great. I wiped out the 3 local ones when they had the 50 yen Saturn/Dreamcast sale a couple months back. I keep going back in hopes that they'll restock older games (shuffle stock between stores) but no dice. I think they're dumping Saturn/DC software.

mehdi_san said:

In the Ichibancho, really close to Sendai Station. To be specific, it was in what was a Namco Land there, on the 6th floor. The Namco Land went bust around the beginning of this year, so it was then on the 6th floor of an otherwise deserted building.

According to the website, the Super Potato there only closed about a month ago, while I was back in the US. It was smaller than, say, the Akihabara one, but it's still a shame, since I don't really know of many comparable game stores in the Tohoku area.

mehdi_san

minor effort said:
In the Ichibancho, really close to Sendai Station. To be specific, it was in what was a Namco Land there, on the 6th floor. The Namco Land went bust around the beginning of this year, so it was then on the 6th floor of an otherwise deserted building.

According to the website, the Super Potato there only closed about a month ago, while I was back in the US. It was smaller than, say, the Akihabara one, but it's still a shame, since I don't really know of many comparable game stores in the Tohoku area.
Oh man I wish I knew about it earlier :(

farnham

Banned
Mr. Driller Drill Land GC 500 yen (Softmap)
Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru GC 250 yen (Bookoff)
Wario Land 3 without package 250 yen (some shop in akihabara)

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
KTallguy said:
Anyone know of any good bargain shops in Osaka? I'm sort of new...
K-Town in Nagoya has some great stuff, but the really rare stuff is priced accordingly.

You can also hit up A-Too in Den-Den/Nipponbashi.

Top Bottom