• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Nintendo. Why isn't Zelda a playable character in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Zomba13

I think MK9 needs to be the true "Super Smash Kart" point. I mean, right now we have Link, AC people, Squid kids but they were all DLC or post original release. We need MK9 to cut the filler (I don't care if gold Mario and whatever other shiny bullshit it just a retextured existing model. I don't want a heavier Mario) and add more non-Mario characters. Zelda and Ganondorf, Samus and Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Captain Falcon. Go wild.

rhandino

Banned
stay perched for this exciting new character in Mario Kart 9 along with the Ancient Kart and Samus from that franchise that nobody cares.

hJRzYMQ.gif

jdstorm

Banned
I think MK9 needs to be the true "Super Smash Kart" point. I mean, right now we have Link, AC people, Squid kids but they were all DLC or post original release. We need MK9 to cut the filler (I don't care if gold Mario and whatever other shiny bullshit it just a retextured existing model. I don't want a heavier Mario) and add more non-Mario characters. Zelda and Ganondorf, Samus and Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Captain Falcon. Go wild.

Not at all. There are more then enough Mario or Mario adjacent Characters that dont get enough love without making the game "Nintendo Kart" or "Smash Kart"

I mean Captain Toad didn't make MK8D and he has his own game. Then there are extra Kongs, Wario Ware characters such as Ashley, Mario NPCs/Bosses/Enemies that are interesting enough to get an invite.

Neoxon

Including the likes of Pikachu could get a bit dicey, especially since The Pokémon Company can be weird when it comes to Pokémon in other Nintendo games.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Blue Falcon kart and two entire F-Zero tracks but no Captain Falcon.

We got the fucking Animal Crossing Villagers, Inklings, and even Link on a fucking motorcycle in our antigravity racing title, but no Captain Falcon.

Nintendo is truly baffling sometimes.
Nobody cares about CF outside of Smash.

Viewtiful

I've never understood why these games are Mario Kart and not Nintendo kart with all of their franchises like Smash Bros. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

I'm sure if Nintendo ever did read this they would probably just prepare a statement about how Zelda is too pure to drive a car because they damage the environment and also she showcases a lot of inner strength by cheering for Link instead.

Neoxon

I've never understood why these games are Mario Kart and not Nintendo kart with all of their franchises like Smash Bros. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
Hopefully their next one will be Super Kart Bros.
Mario Kart is too big of a brand to drop. Even if they add more guest characters, MK9 will likely still be called Mario Kart 9 (or Mario Kart Switch, or Mario Kart [Insert Subtitle Here]).

Pat

Blue Falcon kart and two entire F-Zero tracks but no Captain Falcon.

We got the fucking Animal Crossing Villagers, Inklings, and even Link on a fucking motorcycle in our antigravity racing title, but no Captain Falcon.

Nintendo is truly baffling sometimes.

It's because he'll be in the new F-Zero for Switch that is secretly in development.

star-wars-4.png

jdstorm

Banned
Mario Kart is too big of a brand to drop. Even if they add more guest characters, MK9 will likely still be called Mario Kart 9 (or Mario Kart Switch, or Mario Kart [Insert Subtitle Here]).
this

Hopefully their next one will be Super Kart Bros.

I would hate this. Why not just do a Diddy Kong Racing style side project with all the left over Non Mario characters? Or put Captain Falcon in the next Sonic All Stars Racing game?

ryseing

Fire Emblem Kart.

Do it Nintendo, if only for the inevitable salt.

jdstorm

Banned
The best "Kart Spin off" would be an F-Zero inspired Zero Gravity city in the style of Burnout/Burnout Paradise with all of Nintendo's Space/Futuristic/Robot characters. IE Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud, Samus, Shulk, Elma, Tokyo Mirrage Sessions characters and a few non Nintendo guests like Mega man.

Madao

they didn't include Zelda because, if they were to do so, they'd find themselves in the painful situation of picking one Zelda design and her design is a lot more varied and polarizing than Link. the only Link that stands out is Toon Link and the others look very similar (i bet many people don't even know the Link in MK8 is the Skyward Sword version)

they didn't include Zelda because, if they were to do so, they'd find themselves in the painful situation of picking one Zelda design and her design is a lot more varied and polarizing than Link. the only Link that stands out is Toon Link and the others look very similar (i bet many people don't even know the Link in MK8 is the Skyward Sword version)
Idk, they could just do BOTW + update Link to have a BOTW skin too.

Zalman

Zelda is a tough one because there are so many different versions of her. Link has one iconic look while Zelda doesn't.

jdstorm

Banned

This line of reasoning doesn't really hold up. They have the Hyrule Warriors version of Zelda who is loosely based on Skyward Swords Zelda. She would work perfectly for Mario Kart as a matching pair for Skyward Sword Link.

Edit: Nintendo has managed to choose Zelda designs to be representative of her character in cross platform titles like Smash and Hyrule Warriors for the last 20 years. This is a Non Issue.

Mexen

Nintendo staff lurking this thread. Now that they know just how much you want Zelda, her DLC addition will be the price of a polished indie game.

If she does make it, hopefully she returns to her rightfully brown hair.
Mario Kart 8's Link looks like he has a hat full of a bananas.

Top Bottom