• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear PlayStation owners, Sony does not announce a "PlayStation Launcher for PC" with.... - Does it effect you?

Sony announces a "PlayStation Launcher for PC" with...

Day and Date release. Games are released both on PS5 and PC at the same time.

Does it affect you as a console owner?

Understand:
  1. 1st & 2nd party developers now have to make games for 2 platforms, and / or PC version will likely be outsourced alongside main developing team.
  2. Possible staggered DLC
  3. Games sell better on PC

Is everything cross-buy/cross-play? Or am I buying games separately?

It might affect me if you can play on any device with a subscription.

yurinka

I wouldn't care, I'd continue playing my games on PlayStation.

In fact, I'd like that if they do it putting cross-buy, cross-play and cross-save in order to purchase a game once and to have it in both PS5 and Steam Deck.

But I think it won't happen: they won't port all their games to PC, the ones ported won't be there day one and they won't do crossbuy with PC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Christian Bale Idk GIF

Kokoloko85

Doesn’t effect me personally but Sony will be losing some console buys and that includes bunch of games that would of been brought on PSN but now on Steam.

Ive bought like 50+ games in the last 7 years. They’d lose that profit if 5-10% of Playstation goes to Steam. I know people who would not need to buy a PS5 as they have good PC’s. Plus im sure they’d make more money selling 1st party games on PSN than Steam taking a chunk on their store

Mr Hyde

No, it doesn't affect me. And it probably doesn't affect 99% of PS console owners either since PC and console are two different crowds. Sony should put more games on PC. They are missing out on lots of profits.

Fbh

The only part that makes me salty about playstation games on PC is that unlike Microsoft, they only have regional pricing on PC but not on their console. Like come the fuck on Sony.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
why should we? we all know moving forward more and more playstataion games is going to release on PC anyway.
I think it affects Steam PC users though cause they are reluctant to use other launchers besides steam.

If they want their sub service eventually on PC then I think this will need to happen. However, I won’t pay for anything I’ve already bought. As the company that started cross play on consoles they’ve fallen behind there.

bitbydeath

It’ll affect Sony as they’d lose sales which has always been the argument. Not an individual person.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I hope they don't. Sony services are bad. No regional pricing whatsoever. What they should do is double down on Steam releases. Dig deep on the backcatalog and focus on PS4 and PS3/Vita ports. Bring games like Driveclub, Gravity Rush, Motorstorm back from the old gen limbo. Those should run on a lot of PCs. They can leave the PS5 games for the tail end

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
why should we? we all know moving forward more and more playstataion games is going to release on PC anyway.
Remember all those years with narratives "PC gaming is dead or dying?" 🤣

Then they moved on to consoles due to normie phones.

Wasn't really that long ago in the gaming world sense, my have narratives changed. 😎

Amiga

Getting a new PC rig for the 1st time in 10 years because it will be my "X-Box". would be great if it's also my PS5 (and cogh..Swit@#..cogh)

nani17

are in a big trouble
Well, they already have PS Now on PC so if they did that I suppose my ps5 will continue to gather dust. I would much rather play on my PC than the ps5.

That's if the launcher was good enough because the MS store is terrible. Also PC doesn't need more of them just put there games on steam

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’ll affect Sony as they’d lose sales which has always been the argument. Not an individual person.

MS is one of the top publishers on PC right now. Keep in mind all this is on gamepass PC which is also popular. They're gaining sales from other regions / avenues, not losing sales. Most people arent gaming enthusiasts and just wanna play NBA2k and GTA on a TV, they are the bread and butter sales for consoles.

Ellery

So for me personally it would mean I play games that I'd want to play with Mouse and Keyboard on PC and usually buy the cheapest option available which mostly will be on PC then.

Guess saving money and having more options for inputs is a good thing for me, but I still don't see this happening, because it would harm Sony's current business model a lot.

I mean I guess for the most part it would be a good thing. More people have accessibility to the best games in the world.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeh I sell my PS5 instantly.

Having everything I need on PC works out perfectly for me.
Thats pretty much the only reason why I didnt buy an xbox this gen. I really disliked what MS did with the X1 but still went out and bought it on launch night.

This time around? My PC is just as powerful as the XSX and I get to play all games on PC on day one so whats the point?

Hoping Sony does the same. Nixxes should be able to do 2-3 ports a year seeing as how these games are basically PC games nowadays. I really dislike PC gaming's obtuse issues sometimes but I also dislike having to pay $500 plus $60 a year. I also really disliked how it took Sony so long to add a 60 fps toggle for games like GOW that already ran at 60 fps no my disc copy. Am too old to be begging for patches.

bitbydeath

MS is one of the top publishers on PC right now. Keep in mind all this is on gamepass PC which is also popular. They're gaining sales from other regions / avenues, not losing sales. Most people arent gaming enthusiasts and just wanna play NBA2k and GTA on a TV, they are the bread and butter sales for consoles.
They make money off third party titles on PlayStation, if people turn to PC they’d lose that revenue, which is no small sum.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Remember all those years with narratives "PC gaming is dead or dying?" 🤣

Then they moved on to consoles due to normie phones.

Wasn't really that long ago in the gaming world sense, my have narratives changed. 😎
i knew the console market will be saturated sooner or later and now covid happens on top of it.
I game on console is due to simplicity.
When I bought my PS2 i dont even know what are the exclusive games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah I'd probably buy many of Sony's games on PC instead of PS5... but probably not all.

Barely anything changes for Sony at that point..

Honestly I'm hoping Sony's support of PC includes games that are more tuned for PC like strategy or maybe a cool Diablo-like ARPG.

I mean you realize they bought a company specifically for porting games to PC right?

I doubt that any games will ever launch on PS5 and PC at the same time unless it is a remaster, which already the primary original studio likely won't be working on it. So your premise is a bit off there, but even if they did, it would likely be support teams porting it over to PC.

Whether they ever let you play your PS5 owned Sony titles on PC is another matter entirely and something I would assume they just wouldn't do since it would basically allow for game sharing on steroids.

waxer

Not in the current graphics card market. For ease of use for my kids probably still wouldn't change things till they older anyway.

Your thread title and actual OP are fighting each other lol.

Anyway, about Day-and-Date...I don't think it's happening for Sony 1P this gen outside of select GaaS, MP-centric online-focused games. I keep saying TLOU 2 Factions will be one of those games, and it will, but there will probably be a couple of others too.

You won't see Spiderman 2 or Wolverine Day 1 on PC, I think they'll wait until next gen (or close to next gen, say 4 or so years from now) before doing that on PC side. And it'll definitely correspond with their own launcher, not Steam releases, because why give Valve a 30% cut?

Yeah I'd probably buy many of Sony's games on PC instead of PS5... but probably not all.

Barely anything changes for Sony at that point..

Honestly I'm hoping Sony's support of PC includes games that are more tuned for PC like strategy or maybe a cool Diablo-like ARPG.

They could bring back EverQuest to fill the void World of Warcraft will leave behind (and that games like FF XIV are partially filling).

Yeh I sell my PS5 instantly.

Having everything I need on PC works out perfectly for me.

I'm planning to go PC this gen but under the assumption most Sony games will be staggered by a year or more between PS5 and PC, outside of the MP GaaS-centric ones. And some like the superhero games, I honestly doubt if they get ported to PC at all this generation.

I don't think there's a business case where Sony just uproots everything and does Day 1 for all games between PS and PC without tying Day 1 on PC into a system where they can essentially recoup console sale losses (considering Sony are already making a profit off console sales...well at least the PS5 Disc models, don't know about the Digital ones tho they barely make any of those).

So if they do Day 1 on PC, it won't be through Steam or Epic but their own launcher, which they can monetize outside of Day 1 game sales more efficiently, and balance any possibility of a player going PC to play their games instead of picking up a PlayStation console. They're some years away from doing this, however.

Last edited:
It wouldn't affect me but will surely affect Sony. This move will slowly shrink their playstation fanbase. Remember, you don't need PS+ on PC.

Haggard

Banned
Well, if that happened I'd not be a console owner any more. My playstation would be on eBay the same day such a PC service started.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It wouldn't affect me but will surely affect Sony. This move will slowly shrink their playstation fanbase. Remember, you don't need PS+ on PC.
And it would quickly grow their PC fanbase.

The math for them is how much more money they'd make on PC vs. potentially less on Playstation.

Every person not buying a Playstation that might start buying games is new money to them. People who switch over.. well.. they probably weren't huge console gamers in the first place.. if someone is going to ditch Playstation for PC, what makes you think they were even a PS+ subscriber since Sony for the most part has focused on singeplayer?

HTK

Banned
I would actually prefer a PlayStation launcher. Because if I do decide to get a PC I'll have one place to sign into and have access to my library instead of dealing with all the other bullshit ass launchers.

I hope Sony does this actually.

Neofire

If there's no Play Anywhere feature, of course it will affect PlayStation owners.
Exactly not to mention bifurcating the player base if each game without cross play. Even if it did most people don't want to do cross play because of the cheating/mods on PC.

Then there's the alienation of the Playstation platforms by having higher prices on them and being charged for ps5 upgrades.

Lastly it will translate into Sony selling less units, meaning less people will invest into the Playstation ecosystem. Less systems translates into Sony ehh maybe not even bothering trying to push a piece of new hardware with new ideas and decent power because they will in the end lose money from the high R&D costs and being unable to move enough units.

If Sony was sending me some of their money I would care if a service will affect my income but they don't so they can make a launcher or release the games at steam but Can they make a good streaming service also so I can play some games at my phone at work brakes or when I just want to be resting on the couch?

And it would quickly grow their PC fanbase.

The math for them is how much more money they'd make on PC vs. potentially less on Playstation.
PC is an open platform. PS fanbase migrating to PC will cost Sony more than it will earn them.

Let's see how crazy Sony's new management is. Will they go xbox route or will they go nintendo route or somewhere in the middle? One thing is for sure though, nintendo is killing it while xbox is on life support.

Top Bottom