• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear SCEE: thanks for wasting my data cap

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

RobertMuldoon

Neo Member
It would have downloaded when the PS3 was set to do updates, so just change that to like 3am so it downloads that crap during off-peak download time. That's what I do at least.

bigkrev

Pretty sure when you set up the auto updates, you need to have checked off something to get Betas to auto- download.

Lothars

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

I am pretty sure you can turn this specific feature off regarding them downloading files like that and only downloading things you were already downloading.

Hagi

tumblr_m54mwx2epq1qgn31fo1_400.jpg

MrDaravon

Except:

/rant

Uh isn't auto-download an optional feature that you can turn off?

Soulflarz

Banned
30 a month?
I went through 160 on my ps3 when i flipped my drive yesterday! Took 20 hr but thatd take 5 months at your cap!

Hazelhurst

This feature is on by default. Just turn it off.

This feature is great for those without a data limit. All game and system updates are downloaded in the middle of the night. 4am for me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, these things can be turned off. One can argue that these things shouldnt be on by default, but one can also argue that the user has a responisbility to check what product/service that he/she has payed for and what it does. Depends on how one sees it.

It does suck when one doesnt notice it though. Same thing happened to me with Music Unlimited, i didnt check or knew that it was set to auto-renew, so i had to pay for one month extra that i didnt plan on.

He said it in a way that suggests that he CAN'T get better internet, guys. That's obviously not an option.

It's not that. It's just a silly answer to say "Spend more money."

If it's an option to turn it off, it's obviously not salient. It's like a lot of things with the PS3 UI: they're obfuscated. I had to get instructions from GAF before just to find out when my PS+ was set to expire.

I quite like the fact that it downloads patches and whatnot, seeing as you kind of have to have them anyway. But a beta isn't a patch, and it's just bloody rude to thrust upon me something like that without asking.

At least with the bloody SingStar thing you still had to manually download it if you were interested.

Goldrusher

Donutta said:
Your ISP, I hope?

Because it makes no sense to complain to Sony after YOU agreed to let your PS3 download stuff in the background, fully aware it would download big demos and betas.

Eusis

Yeah, go to your PS+ options and disable automatically downloading software. I don't have that enabled so I haven't had surprises like that, just patches to games I may've only rented or won't play for quite awhile.

Given the sizes of some patches though maybe you need to disable that too and keep it to only save backups?

Yeah, go to your PS+ options and disable automatically downloading software. I don't have that enabled so I haven't had surprises like that, just patches to games I may've only rented or won't play for quite awhile.

Given the sizes of some patches though maybe you need to disable that too and keep it to only save backups?

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.

Eusis

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.
Oh no, I mean you can tweak it. If you just have it to set to automatically push relevant software then yeah, it's going to throw crap like GoW on your just because it's a + freebie.

Patches are only because games like Heavy Rain and GT5 exist, otherwise that'd be a non-issue.

EDIT: To adjust go to System Settings, + Automatic Update, select the time you want, THEN check/uncheck the boxes for stuff you want. Here it's Recommended Videos/Games that was the offender, so just turn that off. Maybe you turned that bit on thinking it wouldn't be harmful or to go for everything, but obviously that's not the case.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not that. It's just a silly answer to say "Spend more money."

If it's an option to turn it off, it's obviously not salient. It's like a lot of things with the PS3 UI: they're obfuscated. I had to get instructions from GAF before just to find out when my PS+ was set to expire.

I quite like the fact that it downloads patches and whatnot, seeing as you kind of have to have them anyway. But a beta isn't a patch, and it's just bloody rude to thrust upon me something like that without asking.

At least with the bloody SingStar thing you still had to manually download it if you were interested.
You select it where you set up the PS+ stuff. It is under Settings -> System Settings -> Automatic Update. Set it to "on", then you get the option to set time, and the finally what you want it to auto update. Remove "Download recommended games and videos" from that list (i think that is the correct option for doing this at least).

You have 3 options to what you want to auto download. The 3 options are:

- Download game patches
- Download the latest system software
- Download recommended games and videos

Jburton

Banned

It's the way it works, it's no design fault ....... everyone else here seems to have got it.

Also God of War series so far has been excellent.

Nope, I got plus about a week ago.

Turned off on defailt

There's some confusion here: I thought that there was a separate checkbox for betas. It appears there isn't and that it all gets brought down via auto-downloads. Thus, my complaint still stands: why should I be required to turn off a useful feature just because SCEE feels it's a great way to promote their shitty first-party titles?

EDIT:

You select it where you set up the PS+ stuff. It is under Settings -> System Settings -> Automatic Update. Set it to "on", then you get the option to set time, and the finally what you want it to auto update. Remove "Download recommended games and videos" from that list (i think that is the correct option for doing this at least).

You have 3 options to what you want to auto download. The 3 options are:

- Download game patches
- Download the latest system software
- Download recommended games and videos

So then it is a separate option. It certainly wasn't there when I signed up for PS+ eons ago.

krae_man

You do realize that patches can be 1.5gb too right? With a 30gb data cap you shouldn't be autodownloading anything. You need to manage and track your data usage like a mofo.

antitrop

I don't have a cap, but I can respect those who do.

I would be pretty pissed off in your case. 30GB ain't shit, I use that in 1-2 days. :(

ukMoIAJ.jpg

Goldrusher

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony
Nope...

Automatic Update
This feature is exclusively for use by PlayStation®Plus members.

When this setting is [On], the PS3™ system will automatically start at the specified time, perform the specified operations, and then turn off.

Off Set to not use the automatic update feature
On Set to use the automatic update feature​

You can select automatic updating operations for the following items.

• Download game patches
• Download the latest system software
• Download recommended games and videos
• Sync trophy information with the server​

Except:

/rant

isn't most of it turned off by default? there's only one item that isn't (can't remember what it is now).

SnowHawk

There's multiple options you can check. Just uncheck the option for downloading demos.

It's not sony's fault for user error.

Top Bottom