• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Dear Sony, fix the damn PS2 emulation

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
As a Sony fanboy,

I have endured many things, from a vaio battery fiasco, to overpriced gadgets. But as a new owner of a PS3 that probably spent too much money on the console in the first place (ebay), I still can't figure out how you ****ed up the PS2 emulation. I tried every ****ing resolution and cable, and it still screws up the image quality. So while having only 2 acceptable games to play for my PS3, I can't even play PS2 games without resorting to my PStwo (which I wanted to sell to recoup my "investment").

So if the next firmware doesn't fix this, I'll say hello wii and bye bye sony.
 

RaijinFY

Member
Jun 7, 2005
4,743
34
1,465
37
JeFfRey said:
As a Sony fanboy,

I have endured many things, from a vaio battery fiasco, to overpriced gadgets. But as a new owner of a PS3 that probably spent too much money on the console in the first place (ebay), I still can't figure out how you ****ed up the PS2 emulation. I tried every ****ing resolution and cable, and it still screws up the image quality. So while having only 2 acceptable games to play for my PS3, I can't even play PS2 games without resorting to my PStwo (which I wanted to sell to recoup my "investment").

So if the next firmware doesn't fix this, I'll say hello wii and bye bye sony.

What? PS2 emulation?
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,395
7
0
39
Orange County, CA
The image quality thing is that it converts games from 480i -> 480p and doesn't do it all that well.

But I dunno, I only tested 1 game (Ryu Ga Gotoku) and it looked the same as before so yeah...
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
metdroid said:
You bought a ps3 off ebay? I thought you said you had a phd

Like I mentioned in another thread, for me time > money. So I wanted my PS3 NOW, without camping. And I got it for 1350C$ with 3 games and an extra Sixaxis.
 

Dante

Member
Jun 10, 2004
14,003
0
0
San Fran
JeFfRey said:
As a Sony fanboy,

I have endured many things, from a vaio battery fiasco, to overpriced gadgets. But as a new owner of a PS3 that probably spent too much money on the console in the first place (ebay), I still can't figure out how you ****ed up the PS2 emulation. I tried every ****ing resolution and cable, and it still screws up the image quality. So while having only 2 acceptable games to play for my PS3, I can't even play PS2 games without resorting to my PStwo (which I wanted to sell to recoup my "investment").

So if the next firmware doesn't fix this, I'll say hello wii and bye bye sony.

Your mad because Ps2 games look crummy on your new HDTV set, and in turn will pick up a Wii?
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
Dante said:
Your mad because Ps2 games look crummy on your new HDTV set, and in turn will pick up a Wii?

Well it's not a new HDTV set, I've had it for a year and it worked great with my PS2, it's just the principle. At least Nintendo did mange to get the GC emulation right (besides the controller thing).
 

OokieSpookie

Banned
Aug 14, 2006
5,824
0
0
St Petersburg, Florida
What games are you trying?
Because no offense intended but most people that I have heard actually complaining about it have never tried it or even looked at the official list of games and issues.
I have played RE4, FF7,8,9,X,X-2, and XII, Devil May cry I,II, and III, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 2 and 3, God of War, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Lament of Innocense, God of War, Rumble Roses, Metal Gear Solid: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows, King of Fighters Maximum Impact, Robotech Battlecry and Invasion, Socom II, and I am sure I am missing a few.
All with no issues that I noticed.
It looks no different than playing on a PS2
Just make sure you are not playing in 1080i of 720p.
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
OokieSpookie said:
What games are you trying?
Because no offense intended but most people that I have heard actually complaining about it have never tried it or even looked at the official list of games and issues.
I have played RE4, FF7,8,9,X,X-2, and XII, Devil May cry I,II, and III, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 2 and 3, God of War, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Lament of Innocense, God of War, Rumble Roses, Metal Gear Solid: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows, King of Fighters Maximum Impact, Robotech Battlecry and Invasion, Socom II, and I am sure I am missing a few.
All with no issues that I noticed.
It looks no different than playing on a PS2
Just make sure you are not playing in 1080i of 720p.

I'll try to find the pics from another forum, but yeah, the guy had the same issue as me, and most probably do but aren't as picky. Just mesure your screen ratio with your PS2 and then PS3, you'll see a difference in quality. I tried Ys 6, FFXII, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus. And you can't play in 1080i of 720p since it automatically outputs in 480i/p.
 

Dahbomb

Member
Jan 18, 2006
70,949
6
0
32
JeFfRey said:
A Sony Bravia KLV-S40A10, using HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite, same results. The image is compressed by ~10% and the image is pixelated.
Have you tried messing with the settings in the XMB? Do you have an older TV that you tried the PS3 BC on? This is a problem for scaling not really a problem in the PS3 BC itself.
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
Dahbomb said:
Have you tried messing with the settings in the XMB? Do you have an older TV that you tried the PS3 BC on? This is a problem for scaling not really a problem in the PS3 BC itself.

Well it works perfectly well with my PStwo and exact same cables, so it's not my TV, and I played with all the XMB display settigns. I'll try it on my computer screen to see if there's any difference.
 

AAK

Member
Sep 30, 2006
19,614
4
1,235
32
Ottawa, ON
OokieSpookie said:
What games are you trying?
Because no offense intended but most people that I have heard actually complaining about it have never tried it or even looked at the official list of games and issues.
I have played RE4, FF7,8,9,X,X-2, and XII, Devil May cry I,II, and III, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 2 and 3, God of War, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Lament of Innocense, God of War, Rumble Roses, Metal Gear Solid: Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows, King of Fighters Maximum Impact, Robotech Battlecry and Invasion, Socom II, and I am sure I am missing a few.
All with no issues that I noticed.
It looks no different than playing on a PS2
Just make sure you are not playing in 1080i of 720p.

o_O
 

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jun 9, 2004
51,621
2,195
2,035
www.eurogamer.net
So if the next firmware doesn't fix this, I'll say hello wii and bye bye sony.
That doesn't even make any sense, if you think about it.

I agree that the image quality is quite poor, but it depends on the game. Some games look exactly the same as before while others are much worse. PS2 games followed no standard when it came to the displaying of images, so I'm not surprised.
 

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jun 6, 2004
20,904
1
0
Why are we feeding the troll?
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
dark10x said:
That doesn't even make any sense, if you think about it.

I agree that the image quality is quite poor, but it depends on the game. Some games look exactly the same as before while others are much worse. PS2 games followed no standard when it came to the displaying of images, so I'm not surprised.


Well I found a discussion on this from the official sony board: seems lots of people are getting that too:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...hread.id=770445&view=by_date_ascending&page=5 I have the exact same thing with FFXII and the other games.
 

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jun 6, 2004
20,904
1
0
terrene said:
Actually, this is a serious issue. I'm going to take pics tonight. Both FF12 and Okami are pretty ****ed up on my PS3.

Really? I wonder why i've not heard of it yet..
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
Suikoguy said:
Really? I wonder why i've not heard of it yet..

Well I can take some pictures too, and if you look in another thread here, people were discussing how metal gear solid looks substantially worse than the PS2 version. Also check the link above. I have no problem with PS3 games and XMB, just for PS2 games, and I want to play some PS2 games.
 

Kobun Heat

Member
Jun 6, 2004
9,296
3
0
40
San Francisco
blog.wired.com
FFXII and Okami both look pretty bad on my PS3 no matter what settings I try. I'm still messing around with it trying to see if I'm doing something wrong, but... I don't think I am. I think it just looks bad.
 

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jun 6, 2004
20,904
1
0
terrene said:
It doesn't appear to affect all games, and it would probably be unnoticeable on CRT displays.

Ah, that might explain that lake of constant complaints. On the bright side, it would appear as it is something that could certainly be fixed via software.

Scaling issues seems to be the primary issue of the PS3 At the Moment.
 

CSSer

Member
Mar 10, 2005
1,767
0
1,400
yeah, add me to the list of people disappointed with PS2 backwards compatibility at the moment. I've only tried FFXII and Dragon Quest 8, and they look pretty bad. Wonder how the screwed that up because there should be a ps2 chip inside the ps3. Hope a firmware comes out soon to address it.
 

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Jun 22, 2004
9,149
1
0
How bad do games that don't use a full frame buffer on PS2 look?

Stuff like Ridge Racer 5...probably full of errors and super jaggy, right?
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,410
0
0
32
Kobun Heat said:
FFXII and Okami both look pretty bad on my PS3 no matter what settings I try. I'm still messing around with it trying to see if I'm doing something wrong, but... I don't think I am. I think it just looks bad.

We have the same TV and I tried FFXII. I thought it looked pretty normal. I didn't play for very long, though.
 

terrene

Banned
May 17, 2005
6,641
2
0
Seattle, WA
www.terrene.net
Y2Kevbug11 said:
We have the same TV and I tried FFXII. I thought it looked pretty normal. I didn't play for very long, though.
In FFXII the issue only seems to affect the FMVs. In Okami, it affects most of the 2D information, including the text, of which there is a lot.

FFXII has a built in "flicker filter" that you can turn on and off in the config menu and that seems to make the difference for the non-FMV 2D stuff.
 

Kobun Heat

Member
Jun 6, 2004
9,296
3
0
40
San Francisco
blog.wired.com
Y2Kevbug11 said:
We have the same TV and I tried FFXII. I thought it looked pretty normal. I didn't play for very long, though.
Yeah, originally I put it in for like two seconds and thought it looked ok, but I just played it for an hour and it looks really weird now; pixelated. I turned on the "flicker filter" and it looked better.
 

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jun 6, 2004
20,904
1
0
karasu said:
How is the Wii going to help you with PS2 games? 0_o

Hence my troll comment :lol
 

3rdman

Member
Jun 7, 2004
6,240
30
1,350
JeFfRey said:
The thing is I'd hit myself having to buy a SD card I have too much memory sticks here! :lol Living in a sony world can be hard sometimes...

"Live in your world, pay in ours."
 

kenta

Has no PEINS
Jan 27, 2005
8,490
0
0
Don't get me wrong, I think your complaint is 100% legitimate but I'm a little confused as to why you bought a PS3 just for the backwards compatibility. That's the dealbreaker for you?

I mean, I want a PS3 as bad as anyone else but I'm mainly stoked about the games and possibilities going forward, and you'll throw all that away because of something like this?

I'll buy the PS3 off you, then, if it bugs you that much.
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,312
39
1,660
the image is pixelated.

yup - i've tried every setting/config with HDMI -and- component and the BC is just making things look shocking.

Monsterhunter in particular looks crazy :/
 

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
4,161
726
1,705
North Glengarry, ON
kenta said:
Don't get me wrong, I think your complaint is 100% legitimate but I'm a little confused as to why you bought a PS3 just for the backwards compatibility. That's the dealbreaker for you?

I mean, I want a PS3 as bad as anyone else but I'm mainly stoked about the games and possibilities going forward, and you'll throw all that away because of something like this?

I'll buy the PS3 off you, then, if it bugs you that much.

I like things that are seemless and just plain work. For me I can't have more than a console hooked up since I only have 4 HD inputs on my receiver/TV. So I can't have my PS2 hooked up as well as my PS3, (I have my roomlink, cable and DVD player). And for the time it takes to hook up the system, I'd rather give it up.
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,395
7
0
39
Orange County, CA
I'm just hoping in a future firmware update PS2 games will get an AA filter option like the PS2 emu's give and the texture smoothing on PS2 w/PS1 games. That should smooth out most of the image problems and make games hopefully look better than before.

An "install game to harddrive to eliminate all load times" option would be nice too.
 

terrene

Banned
May 17, 2005
6,641
2
0
Seattle, WA
www.terrene.net
Pics from FFXII:

PS2 over component:


PS3 over HDMI:


Taken from
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=773566#M773566

Exactly what I'm seeing. :(

Unfortunately, this looks like some kind of aliasing. Perhaps it's corrupting 2D information during the de-interlacing process that goes from 480i to 480p. Whatever this is, it's ass. Would you believe I've logged 24 hours of FF12 playtime looking at shit like that?
 

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Feb 1, 2006
4,015
0
0
California
Explain to me the problem.


Games are pixelated? Arent' they running in 480p (all BC PS3 games are in 480p no? Especially when 720p on 1080i TV's is down converted to 480p/i, it's likely that everything should look at least fine on 480p/i)
 

kenta

Has no PEINS
Jan 27, 2005
8,490
0
0
JeFfRey said:
I like things that are seemless and just plain work. For me I can't have more than a console hooked up since I only have 4 HD inputs on my receiver/TV. So I can't have my PS2 hooked up as well as my PS3, (I have my roomlink, cable and DVD player). And for the time it takes to hook up the system, I'd rather give it up.
Like I said, I'll buy the thing off you. 60GB version? Used? With broken BC? I'll give you $600 shipped
 

Mmmkay

Member
Aug 13, 2005
5,332
0
0
terrene said:
Pics from FFXII:

PS2 over component:


PS3 over HDMI:


Taken from
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=773566#M773566

Exactly what I'm seeing. :(

Unfortunately, this looks like some kind of aliasing. Perhaps it's corrupting 2D information during the de-interlacing process that goes from 480i to 480p. Whatever this is, it's ass. Would you believe I've logged 24 hours of FF12 playtime looking at shit like that?
Heh, this is exactly what my Samsung LCD does to my PS2 over anything but Composite. Doesn't happen with any of the other HDTVs in my house though.
 

LevelNth

Banned
Aug 18, 2006
4,609
0
0
I've still yet to try any BC. Explain to me again why you shouldn't play any of them with the display settings set to 720p and/or 1080i/p?