• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Watch_Dogs: please take note. (New Infamous Second Son Screenshots Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just have to keep reminding myself that this is what an open world game looks like on PS4 only a few months after it has launched. What in sam's green hell are linear PS4 games going to look like a few years into the system's life!?

The most exciting part is that picture is the equivalent of a screenshot from Resistance: Fall of Man in 2006. It's not really the most exciting part, but it isn't very often you can compare releases between launch and end-of-life without saying 'lol, what was I thinking buying that'

I loved R: FoM back then though, even though it regularly got me a massive kicking from the xbox fans when I said that.

Famassu

True. Perhaps I was too hasty labeling it as "same old gameplay". The movement improvements actually speed up the gameplay considerably, while it remains familiar enough at its core.
Sure, it's still inFamous at its core, but that's why it's called inFamous and it's not some new IP. It was never going to be turned into Bayonetta or Skyrim, so of course you're still "only" jumping & blasting your way through the world. But yeah, the tools given to you to do what you do in an inFamous and the things those tools are used for do seem to be vastly improved & changed, so it shouldn't feel like a copy-paste job from inFamous 2 or Festival of Blood.

Fair enough, but there is also something. I don't know i always felt everything is really clean, not in a good way. It's actually not a realistic heavy texture approach like in Kill Zone or Battlefield 4 for example. It's more clean and plastic looking.
Well, I'll have to disagree there as well. This

1655456_10203498791089558_1214241031_o.jpg

Doesn't look too clean and there's nothing plastic-y in these environments. It's just the right kind of stylized realism.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well who knows what's up with that company, reboot total, probably making PlayStation Mobile games now. ;)

According to famousmortimer's latest podcast, SMS 2nd team was building new game for late 2014 but they constantly missed their targets and had a lot of problems. So Sony axed it, and moved DriveClub to late 2014 slot.

GOW team is still fine, although their project is far from done.

Into

Looks really good, so far the best looking next gen game on the two consoles. Which is a tad odd since it is a open world game. But then again its platform exclusive and its competition are launch games that for most part, do not look all that hot

Imagine the shit you will see in 2 years on both consoles, damn, NextGenIsHere#

Amir0x

Banned
According to famousmortimer's latest podcast, SMS 2nd team was building new game for late 2014 but they constantly missed their targets and had a lot of problems. So Sony axed it, and moved DriveClub to late 2014 slot.

still can't believe DriveClub was supposed to be a friggin' launch game, all the way to late 2014 now. What sort of aberration would the game had been had it come out then? 3.0 scores everywhere?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It goes from what a horrible horrible bummer...

... to fuck that shit.

StuBurns

Banned
GoW4 is being headed by Cory Barlog, there's no reason to think it will be yet another waste of five and half hours of your life.

Amir0x

Banned
GoW4 is being headed by Cory Barlog, there's no reason to think it will be yet another waste of five and half hours of your life.

it's a next gen game now, 4 hours and 10 minutes of your life iirc.

Come on Cory, bring back God of War with a re-emphasis on amazing puzzle infused areas like Pandora's Temple!

eso76

I'm still not sure what the game looks like during the day, how complex are the environments, how is the draw distance etc. I haven't seen anything like GTA V incredible mountains or cityscapes, but damn it looks great and the IQ is bollocks.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
still can't believe DriveClub was supposed to be a friggin' launch game, all the way to late 2014 now. What sort of aberration would the game had been had it come out then? 3.0 scores everywhere?
Assuming they are spending all that time continuing to at least polish the game the positive about that is that SCE is not afraid to spend money if they do see value in it.

orioto

Good Art™
Well, I'll have to disagree there as well. This

Doesn't look too clean and there's nothing plastic-y in these environments. It's just the right kind of stylized realism.

Well lol, that's the screen i almost posted justly :p Precisely there i know it's foggy and the anisotropic thing doesn't help but it seems like the textures are really flat and the whole screen doesn't scream details to me. It still looks good anyway.

Ploid 3.0

Good for you man!

Really happy for you.

Don't be, he must be living in a gaming hell where most pc games don't live up to his Crysis 3 like expectations. Blizzard and Valve making games that must run on years old hardware. Epic seemingly quiet for years now, what's been going on with Unreal next engine. Getting ports of games that have framerate caps until modders maybe figure out how to uncap it which sometimes don't have good results (NFS Rivals). It's a nightmare.

Amir0x

Banned
Assuming they are spending all that time continuing to at least polish the game the positive about that is that SCE is not afraid to spend money if they do see value in it.

Yeah, but there is also a dangerous downside. If the game doesn't deliver, they would have wasted all that time for absolutely nothing. They need to be absolutely sure that the return on their investment is going to be spectacular. I hope they've got a way to get honest feedback on the quality of the game from longtime racing fans.

StuBurns

Banned
I think DC was just in no state to ship. If you look at what we'd actually seen, a single car on a track was struggling to maintain 30fps, and the IQ was a mess.

It's never been in a state that didn't look completely pre-alpha. I think Sony knew they weren't going to hit launch for a long time, they just didn't want to announce it.

Makes me laugh at people saying Watchdogs is a true open world and this isn't.

They're just different. In Watchdog's there is cars, but you'll never see the roof of a skyscraper or skydive. So technically it's not asking as much on that level.

And in inFamous you won't drive cars.

It' like apples to oranges. There are negatives and positives for both.

Famassu

Well lol, that's the screen i almost posted justly :p Precisely there i know it's foggy and the anisotropic thing doesn't help but it seems like the textures are really flat and the whole screen doesn't scream details to me. It still looks good anyway.
The only thing that looks a bit flat is the street and that's kind of natural... Otherwise there's just an insane amount of details & depth packed into that one screen, from fucktons of different kinds of signs, stores & banners to great looking trees & other greenery to how multilayered the buildings are to vines growing on the buildings and the really detailed textures.

Vizzeh

Banned
The only thing that looks a bit flat is the street and that's kind of natural... Otherwise there's just an insane amount of details & depth packed into that one screen, from fucktons of different kinds of signs, store signs & banners to great looking trees & other greenery to how multilayered the buildings are to vines growing on the buildings and the really detailed textures.

I personally think the ground looks absolutely stunning in places with the water/lighting effects.

So whoever's gotten the game early and been uploading these screenshots, has he stated at all if the game really does look as good playing it as all these grabs would suggest?

There always feels like there's a catch involved. Like it's too good to be true.

My input, watchdogs is doing things a bit different, has different types of interactivity, but the graphical comparison is valid...I think WD will looks amazing come May as well.

The only thing I will add...infamous has a staff of 100 or so ppl..gta 900!

Just give the team there props, it's a nice accomplishment.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah the graphical comparison is valid. Right now though inFamous technically seems to be demolishing Watch Dogs. But we'll see how it looks when that package all comes together as well.

Kosma

Banned
The most exciting part is that picture is the equivalent of a screenshot from Resistance: Fall of Man in 2006. It's not really the most exciting part, but it isn't very often you can compare releases between launch and end-of-life without saying 'lol, what was I thinking buying that'

I loved R: FoM back then though, even though it regularly got me a massive kicking from the xbox fans when I said that.

I had a 360 first and played tons of Gear and was laughing Rfom too, I was one of those people.

Then I got a PS3 and played it, really nice game, they nailed the england setting so well. It just got a bit lost in the mix. Got R2 waiting to be played here now.

StuBurns

Banned
I had a 360 first and played tons of Gear and was laughing Rfom too, I was one of those people.

Then I got a PS3 and played it, really nice game, they nailed the england setting so well. It just got a bit lost in the mix. Got R2 waiting to be played here now.
Let's not cloud history with Sony's recent return to leadership, Gears of War completely outclasses Resistance in pretty much every measurable way.

Never played infamous 1 or 2, thought they looked like junk to be honest. But this one looks pretty incredible. It'll be crazy to see what Naughty Dog gets up to on the PS4.

So whoever's gotten the game early and been uploading these screenshots, has he stated at all if the game really does look as good playing it as all these grabs would suggest?

There always feels like there's a catch involved. Like it's too good to be true.

WordsintheWater has the game and he/she has this to say:

In my opinion, it's great and I never was that high up on the inFamous games. I enjoyed them, but I felt like something was always lacking, this game addresses all my concerns I used to have. Controlling Delsin is great, graphics look amazing, cutscenes and acting are top notch by video game standards, gameplay wise it's a blast. It's just fun fighting things in this game and I am still on smoke powers only, the more abilities you unlock the more fun the game becomes, you start using more diverse ways to take enemies down.

solarus

I'm not sure if sony is again being dense as fuck and using live-action to promote the game but if they are then every one of those motherfuckers in charge of marketing should be fired. Showing well edited gameplay of this for 30 seconds is how you sell people on the game and a ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom