• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Come True launches in 2020 in Japan; main character Makoto Karaki introduced

Mista

Banned
Death-Come-True-Protag_12-10-19.jpg

Izanagi Games confirmed a 2020 release window in Japan and introduced the main character for Death Come True, its newly announced full motion video game directed and written by Danganronpa creator Kazutaka Kodaka. Platforms are still to be announced

Kanata Hongou (pictured above) will portray main character Makoto Karaki. Kanata Hongou also portrayed Danganronpa series protagonist Makoto Naegi in the stage adaption of the game, as well as Ryota Mitarai in the anime Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak High School. Here is the description of the character from the official website:
When Makoto Karaki wakes up in a hotel, he seemed to have lost his memory. He has no recollection of who he is or why he is in the hotel. By watching the news on TV, he learns that he is wanted for a series of murders.

Izanagi Games describes Death Come True as Japan’s first-ever “interactive content” that combines movie and game, where the story develops based on the player’s choices and there are several possible endings. Here is the company’s summary of the game:
The setting is a certain hotel. The protagonist Makoto Karaki (portrayed by Kanata Hongou) is wanted for a series of murders. But he has no memory at all. Under such circumstances, he has the miraculous ability to “Time Leap” and return to the past when he dies. As a criminal on the run, he will have to ask himself who he can trust and question the true nature of his own character. Through repeated decisions and death, aim to discover the truth.

The next character reveal for Death Come True will be announced on December 13 at midnight PT / 3:00 a.m. ET / 17:00 JST.
Gematsu

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I enjoyed Danganronpa a lot, so I am carefully optimistic.

CamHostage

Hmm, full motion, but it doesn't explain how the interaction will work yet, I'm curious if it'll follow the Her Story method of mixed media playback (they mention a TV but that's so far just for informing the backstory) or if it'll try having the live-action foregrounded as the main play mechanic (the easiest thing would be just to have the video be what plays when you click the Visual Novel sequences, but that wouldn't do much for their "Is this a movie? Or a game?” concept.) I didn't play Kodaka's games much yet, but I know lots of people who swear by Danganronpa, so I hope it's good (and we'll see if it's something that can be localized outside Japan too.)

Fuck this Jpop Jdrama twink shit.

I'm confused, are you coming to this thread as a Danganronpa fan? Maybe you wandered into the wrong thread, but it seems puzzling that somebody would be down with a Visual Novel, academy-girl J-horror/anime tropes, and a creepy teddy bear, but THIS is too fetishy and Japanese...

brap

Banned
I'm confused, are you coming to this thread as a Danganronpa fan?
Yes. I don't want this creepy fucking jdrama shit. It's fine in animated form but always weird and creepy irl. It's why I don't watch any of those live action japanese movies based off anime or manga.

Top Bottom