• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death of George Floyd by Minneapolis police sparks protests and riots

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
Guess we'll see what happens. Hope the military does get involved since the local governments will no doubt refuse to do jack shit.

Strife In a Teacup

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2013
So... No insurrection act then?
Likely a warning to the governors first. Either deploy National Guard and safeguard your cities or he will.

From what I read he'll need to address the nation and tell everyone to go back to their homes peacefully, stop rioting etc, then he can unleash the Insurrection Act in full.

By my guess at this rates, since I think this will only encourage Antifa and others to go harder, that he'll declare it within a week's time. And I think that's being generous.

sobaka770

Jun 25, 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
Well that speech was carefully curated, thank God.

I think the only thing that went off was "one beautiful law", he really chucked on that one.

In any case, as expected: looting is condemned, safety first but he was never going to address racial issues and underlying causes so probably a solid performance for his base.

Reactions: Narasumas

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

I think the only thing that went off was "one beautiful law", he really chucked on that one.

In any case, as expected: looting is condemned, safety first but he was never going to address racial issues and underlying causes so probably a solid performance for his base.
Unlike Democrats, Trump has already worked on keeping black men out of prison for nonviolent offenses. Far more than Biden or Kamala Harris have done in their entire careers.

Oct 26, 2018
Unlike Democrats, Trump has already worked on keeping black men out of prison for nonviolent offenses. Far more than Biden or Kamala Harris have done in their entire careers.
He's also played both sides of the fence in terms of condemning both the killing and rioting. Which is the right thing to do because the spark and fire are both stupid incidents.

Many city mayors/governors are too chicken to condemn the rioting. Only focus on the Floyd part. Too cowardly to criticize the looting because the know since it's heavy skewed to Black folks it'll just piss them off more. No balls.

Only when shit really hits the fan like the Minny offcials finally man up and say no more BS, We're sending in troops to crack down on the rioting.

Often times it's been too late.

Last edited:

B-universe

Mar 23, 2020

Trump was never going to, but, hey!, how about you doing it and gracing the thread with a PowerPoint on "racism and underlying causes"?

Or are you too busy flaunting your world-class expertise on presidential body-language?

Reactions: Piku_Ringo

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
"TRUMP STARTED IT! REALLY!"

They're going to see whatever they want to see. If this is a civil war, it's a damn shame you guys don't have guns.

Anyway, saw a clip of George Floyd's brother telling people to stop rioting. He told people that they need to go out in vote, not just in November, but in the primaries. Like, holy shit - there IS a mechanism to voice your discontent. This is the right way to approach things and again, nothing but respect for that.

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Oh Lord, he just couldn't keep his mouth shut.
Ok, let's rewind time a bit.

I wrote this:

So, what was it about Trump glorifying violence on Twitter again?
Is his tweet about the military stepping in still wrong?
Have Twitter enforced their rules about posting violence glorifying tweets to those who glorify the riots?

I can already hear in my mind some reporter during one of the next few press briefings asking "does the president understand that his rhetoric on Twitter has influenced the protestors to cross some lines?"
To which you replied this:

I wish he would just STFU and stay out of it. Whatever he says is going to be divisive and will just further inflame tensions anyway. Already channeling George Wallace in his tweets.

And he wonders why people say he's racist.

He would really be doing the nation a tremendous favor if he just closed his mouth for once. He will NEVER have anything positive to contribute. Just for once SHUT UP!
It made no sense in the context of what I wrote. I chose to ignore it then because it seemed it wasn't an answer to what I wrote and it was just someone not liking what Trump tweets, which is ok.

Now Trump ONLY mentioned he is about to give a speech and that's a problem too?

I think you have issues that go way beyond Trump. You see 100% completely neutral informative sentences as negative. Seek help, maybe?

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
They're going to see whatever they want to see. If this is a civil war, it's a damn shame you guys don't have guns.

Anyway, saw a clip of George Floyd's brother telling people to stop rioting. He told people that they need to go out in vote, not just in November, but in the primaries. Like, holy shit - there IS a mechanism to voice your discontent. This is the right way to approach things and again, nothing but respect for that.
George Floyd? He's about as relevant to current events as a match that lit a fire. They aren't rioting for him. They're rioting and looting because they're getting away with it and word is spreading.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
I check the news every few hours. It feels like the US is standing on a tipping point, and all it's going to take is one push to escalate this whole thing to another level. A bullet fired in panic, perhaps.

That's kind of what your country looks like to the outside world at the moment.

Reactions: mekes

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
George Floyd? He's about as relevant to current events as a match that lit a fire. They aren't rioting for him. They're rioting and looting because they're getting away with it and word is spreading.
Lol, believe me, I know. I'm just saying, the so-called pretext for the riots doesn't even want the riots.

Oct 26, 2018
Priority order of event and media:

Early last week:

1. Floyd
2. Chauvin's knee pinning video
3. Chauvin's history of complaints, arrested, manslaughter charge
4. Protests starting

Later in the week:

1. Protests turn into rioting
2. Chauvin's history of complaints, arrested, manslaughter charge
3. Chauvin's knee pinning video
4. Floyd

Good job people and media!

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Those responses are so mad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trump is, by office, a cop - he is head of federal law enforcement. He can do what he wants.

And now they are saying he can't bring in the military. By saying that he is implicitly referring to the Insurrection Act, which was used to suppress the LA riots in 1992.
So if it's been used before, why is it such an issue if it's used again?

Oct 26, 2018
It's always the ones you could snap like a twig.
Yup.

In the movies, the big dumb jock is always portrayed as the bully ragging on wimps with the hot girl. Wimp somehow saves the day and gets the girl and everyone has a good laugh.

But in real life, the wimp kills. To bad for him, the jock and girl stay together.

Reactions: Ememee

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Reporter: Got anything to say?
Me: Yeah he better not drop the soap, prison gonna love his skinny ass. Im sure they will really care that you chanted black lives matter. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
He is going to get to the yard and tell the white gangs he is not racist, and they will send him over to the Fleece Johnsons-in-training.

Reactions: Piku_Ringo

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
What is this night 7? Billions in damages and people are still conflating protest with riots and crying about how Trump is the bad guy for attempting to restore order. If he is a dictator he sure is taking his time.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
Yup.

In the movies, the big dumb jock is always portrayed as the bully ragging on wimps with the hot girl. Wimp somehow saves the day and gets the girl and everyone has a good laugh.

But in real life, the wimp kills. To bad for him, the jock and girl stay together.
And the wimp gets boy-pregnant in jail before hanging himself.

Reactions: StreetsofBeige
Oct 26, 2018
The Bartels guy works at Amazon!

Lots of good info in this article, including the quick Amazon part.

Around 10:30 p.m. that night, police said they received a call from someone who requested anonymity and claimed to recognize Mr. Bartels, a co-worker at Amazon, from social media as the rioter who damaged the police SUV.

BlackBuzzard

Banned
Sep 23, 2013
What is this night 7? Billions in damages and people are still conflating protest with riots and crying about how Trump is the bad guy for attempting to restore order. If he is a dictator he sure is taking his time.
They should be lucky im not president i would have told police to use lethal ammo on the looters when this shit started.