• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death of George Floyd by Minneapolis police sparks protests and riots

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018

Fryer did, however, find that black civilians are more likely to experience other types of force, including being handcuffed without arrest, pepper-sprayed or pushed to the ground by an officer (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2016)

Those disparities don't seem to arise from the fact that black Americans are more likely to commit crimes. Supporting this point is research by Phillip Atiba Goff, PhD, a social psychologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, co-founder of the Center for Policing Equity. Goff, Glaser and colleagues reviewed data from 12 police departments and found that black residents were more often subjected to police force than white residents, even after adjusting for whether the person had been arrested for violent crimes (Center for Policing Equity, 2016)

Other data show that black people are also more likely to be stopped by police. Stanford University social psychologist Jennifer Eberhardt, PhD, and colleagues analyzed data from the police department in Oakland, California, and found that while black residents make up 28 percent of the Oakland population, they accounted for 60 percent of police stops. What's more, black men were four times more likely than white men to be searched during a traffic stop, even though officers were no more likely to recover contraband when searching black suspects (Stanford SPARQ, 2016
)

Implicit biases are attitudes or stereotypes that can influence our beliefs, actions and decisions, even though we're not consciously aware of them and don't express those beliefs verbally to ourselves or others. One of the most well-demonstrated types of implicit bias is the unconscious association between black individuals and crime. That association can influence an officer's behavior, even if he or she doesn't hold or express explicitly racist beliefs.
Not to mention the disparity between white and black marijuana arrests ... Even though both groups use marijuana at roughly.the same rates, yet black people are more likely to be arrested for possession.

The anger at police isn't just about killing... And it isn't JUST about the racial disparities either... A lot of people in this thread have had severe problems with the police.

BigBooper BigBooper

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Formerly 'Chacranajxy'
Oct 13, 2008
I agree with this. Arrest them. Shooting them does nothing but instill further unrest...and make them scatter. Arrest them, fine them, make it really hurt.
Shooting them instills a feeling of powerlessness. If they learn they can't win, they won't fight; doubly so when they don't have a cause. Fines will never hurt as much as bullets.

Reactions: Kev Kev

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018
I've just seen a video of lots of police being run over.
I have no actual link as i just seen it on this stream.

Reactions: VlaudTheImpaler
Feb 25, 2013
Welp, I just watched a large group of officers get run over by an SUV. They turned and fired but I think they had to switch away from rubber bullets and didn't get the guy in time. Things are getting real bad. People have got to stop fanning the flames. Things are going to get worse than you can imagine. All of the media, all you celebs, this is on your shoulders.

EDIT: Yep, V4skunk V4skunk That's where I saw it.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Setting such an early curfew in a city like NYC is practically impossible. You would end up having to arrest half the city if you set it at like 7 or 8 in the evening.
Yet your ilk have been pushing mandatory lockdowns until a week ago. Now it is practically impossible to get people to shelter at home after a week of riots. Does not compute.

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018
Welp, I just watched a large group of officers get run over by an SUV. They turned and fired but I think they had to switch away from rubber bullets and didn't get the guy in time. Things are getting real bad. People have got to stop fanning the flames. Things are going to get worse than you can imagine. All of the media, all you celebs, this is on your shoulders.

EDIT: Yep, V4skunk V4skunk That's where I saw it.
I tried searching for Yusef NH on twitter! He is the guy that recorded it! But i can't find him....
Apparently multiple dead.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
As I was coming home from work today, I looked out the train window and tried to see if there was any more destruction south (or East?) of where CNN Center and Phipps Plaza are... Nothing further from what I could see... But I'm not going out to Atlanta. I'm fine where I live. Those rioters won't come to Decatur, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Tucker, etc.

Feb 25, 2013
I've just seen a video of lots of police being run over.
I have no actual link as i just seen it on this stream.
Did you catch where it happened? I was busy and just caught it when it they tackled the rioter and where restraining him Just before the SUV plowed into them...

And now they are saying a few of the cops could be dead.... Praying for them.

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018
If you find it, please post it. I can always use more fuel for my burning rage and hatred for leftist cuckold scum.
I've literally searched through 30 different Yusef NH and even spelled the name in different ways. Has to be censored.

Did you catch where it happened? I was busy and just caught it when it they tackled the rioter and where restraining him Just before the SUV plowed into them...

And now they are saying a few of the cops could be dead.... Praying for them.
New York i'm 99% sure.

Last edited:

Taxexemption

Oct 11, 2011
So it's standard procedure to immediately shoot people with rubber bullets and beanbags if they are out past a curfew?

Maybe they could have just....oh idk....arrested them? Especially considering they were just standing there. They weren't even armed. Hell they weren't even yelling.
You wouldn't understand. If you lose order, overwhelming violence will be necessary to restore it. Shooting them with rubber bullets is nothing. If you really lose order, hundreds or maybe thousands will have to die to fix this.

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
Shooting them instills a feeling of powerlessness. If they learn they can't win, they won't fight; doubly so when they don't have a cause. Fines will never hurt as much as bullets.
Sure if the bullet causes actual permanent damage like blinding them. Then congratulations, they will get on disability and we will be giving them a paycheck for life.

• LOL
Reactions: Piku_Ringo

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Yet your ilk have been pushing mandatory lockdowns until a week ago. Now it is practically impossible to get people to shelter at home after a week of riots. Does not compute.
Pushing mandatory lockdowns made Trump look bad in their minds so that's what they did. Now being against early curfew in a time of violent riots makes Trump look bad in their eyes, so that's why they say that now.

That's all there is to it. Like the other dude here who was shocked by a tweet by Trump where he only said he's going to give a speech, they become completely irrational and senseless when they should by all logic be on Trump's side even for once.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Good segment from Tucker tonight:

About 9 minutes in he really hit on something that I've been thinking a lot the last few days.

"This is a national emergency, but you would never know that listening to our elected leaders. Almost all of them pretend this is not really happening, or if it is happening it is part of a long tradition of America's vigorous political discourse."

"Politicians on both sides tell us that this is all about the death of a man in police custody in Minneapolis last week. The people burning down our country are protestors. They are engaged in a legitimate protest. OK. What exactly are those protestors demands? What are they asking for? If Congress agreed tonight to enact their program, what would their program be? Not a single person even hints at the answer because there is not an answer."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
NBC4 LA is showing a helicopter shot of tons of people zip tied and being hauled off in LA. This shit is amazing.

It’s about time there’s some consequences for this.
The news in LA also said they’re releasing them on no bond with just a citation. So it’s just going to repeat with slaps on the wrist like that.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Yeah that sounds like a good argument until you remember that nobody was following the lockdown orders anyway. People were out and about, gathering together, and everything despite the lockdown all over the country.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
That's your perspective. What's more interesting is the fact you are way more upset on how a guy hold a bible than the destruction of a country, let that sink in.
The country is not being destroyed. Please don't allow the media hype to drive your perspective. And don't get things twisted. Protesters ARE PROTESTING. Looters ARE LOOTING.

The nation is in a state of upheaval over the trauma of watching a fellow citizen essentially be murdered by law enforcement. Desperate to see the corner turn on these types of injustices and long and protracted institutionalized racism.

I haven't praised anyone engaged in unlawful acts. But I refuse to let rioters and looters shape the narrative of this moment. To allow those who would like to devalue and delegitimize the pain and suffering of the Black Community or the moral outrage of the rest of the nation because of those damaging and stealing property.

We will rebuild what was lost, but we can't bring back victims like George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean.

I've been accused of praising rioters and looters because I'm critical of the President. I don't see the connection but I can't fight all those fights. Call me old fashioned but I believe the President is supposed to be the moral and compassionate force when the country loses it's way during a crisis.

He missed an opportunity with that Bible. It proves he doesn't grasp the power and healing in that book. Could have been a better moment for him. For all of us.

I know a lot of people worship the Darwin monkey while the rest of worship the all powerful invisible Wizard. Lol. But a unifying prayer at that moment could have been so good for all of us.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
The country is not being destroyed. Please don't allow the media hype to drive your perspective. And don't get things twisted. Protesters ARE PROTESTING. Looters ARE LOOTING.

The nation is in a state of upheaval over the trauma of watching a fellow citizen essentially be murdered by law enforcement. Desperate to see the corner turn on these types of injustices and long and protracted institutionalized racism.

I haven't praised anyone engaged in unlawful acts. But I refuse to let rioters and looters shape the narrative of this moment. To allow those who would like to devalue and delegitimize the pain and suffering of the Black Community or the moral outrage of the rest of the nation because of those damaging and stealing property.

We will rebuild what was lost, but we can't bring back victims like George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Botham Jean.

I've been accused of praising rioters and looters because I'm critical of the President. I don't see the connection but I can't fight all those fights. Call me old fashioned but I believe the President is supposed to be the moral and compassionate force when the country loses it's way during a crisis.

He missed an opportunity with that Bible. It proves he doesn't grasp the power and healing in that book. Could have been a better moment for him. For all of us.

I know a lot of people worship the Darwin monkey while the rest of worship the all powerful invisible Wizard. Lol. But a unifying prayer at that moment could have been so good for all of us.
Stop using the names of dead people to push your own agenda that is getting people killed.

V4skunk

Nov 20, 2018

It's a communist attack on the country you sausage.

Feb 25, 2013

You and people like you are getting people killed and setting up people for a life of despair by reinforcing that they can behave like this any time they feel angry. Full stop.

///PATRIOT

Aug 30, 2016

You are deluded to think this about Floyd anymore, maybe the first two days, nothing trump could have said would have change leftist, liberals minds.

Dont belive me? Take a look at Resetera, the hate and vitriol is out of chart.

Speak for the Big Companies, sure they will, but the vast majority of little business owners wont, they lost everything.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
That you would have criticizes him for. No one buys your bullshit dude.

You got enraged because he tweeted he was going to give a speech, but I'm sure him praying would have really meant a lot to you 🙄

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
So it's standard procedure to immediately shoot people with rubber bullets and beanbags if they are out past a curfew?

Maybe they could have just....oh idk....arrested them? Especially considering they were just standing there. They weren't even armed. Hell they weren't even yelling.
Meh, too bad. Don’t play stupid games with the police after 3 days of civil unrest.

Aug 21, 2018

And all the life that Blacks took away will also never come back either. In my city a few month ago, a Black straight up murder 2 chinese because he wanted a car that night.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
He should have floored it and smeared those fucking terrorists over the pavement, especially once they started screaming to kill him. There is only one they would try to hijack a propane tanker.
That's what I find so profound. I see people like the trucker stopping because he values human life... he knows what that truck will do to them and he can't bring himself to do it, even though he also knows what's going to happen to him if they pull him out. That's the inherent goodness of our people there, but this is not a time for goodness. This is a time for shutting this shit down and surviving. If motherfuckers climb on your semi and start trying to pull you out, you floor the pedal man.