• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

The 5 figures in the sky must have some biblical meaning, like angels or demons or something.

Reedus was sent there to die, or got stuck trying to escape something.

Getting lots of Evangelion and Angels Egg (weirdest anime ever) vibes!

TissueBox

Ahh nice close up of the little equation things!!

Concerning the relevance of their presence there and particularly the first (Schwarzschild) one it's very enlightening to see the possibility of allegorical despair at work here...

The emphasis on 'place' and 'being' and the nature of one's relationship to both correlates very directly with an individualistic struggle for self-liberation, where a black hole represents [the result of] Adversity or Inevitability A and the collapsed matter represents self-destruction in wake of such things, where the feasibility for escape is minimized to such a reductive probability that lightspeed is the slowest you could go just for a chance at breaking out of it. Mmm-mm, it works as a darkly introspective and packed metaphor (for Kojima, if nothing else) and microcosmically, it would be sweet to see how he shatters it into pieces and sprinkles it over the game's potentially trippy narrative...

On a macrocosmic scale, I have NO idea what he wants to do with the plot but if alternate worlds and dimensions and environments that teeter between real and imagined (such that Reedus's character ends up navigating through self-induced nightmare constructs) lead up to some eerie sci-fi adventure drama then my interest's piqued the ever more!!

I just hope -- *cough* -- that it's not too "open-world"...buuuut who knows, if one person can at least try something for the hell of keeping things fresh and actually deliver, it's Kojima.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How's this for a metaphor-- in the trailer they take his baby...

Same way Konami took MGS.

But hasn't Kojima been saying he wanted off MGS for over a decade?

EVIL

The 5 figures in the sky must have some biblical meaning, like angels or demons or something.

Reedus was sent there to die, or got stuck trying to escape something.

Getting lots of Evangelion and Angels Egg (weirdest anime ever) vibes!

Would have made more sense if they "seals" around his neck would be 7 in total. not six

EVIL

Ck4IEYRUgAAK2dq.jpg
Ck4IEYQUoAA_79p.jpg

bit larger versions of the 2 posters

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Sometimes more than one

luqLXtZ.gif

Lol... You guys are killing me here.

Regarding "Stranding", while the beached sea creatures and lone protagonist offer connotations for the title, I like to think there's some other meaning hidden in there.

Think of the word strand and what images it evokes...such as a fine string or length of fibre... We say strands of DNA... There was an umbilical cord linking the baby with Reedus...

I dread to imagine the implications of "Death Stranding" when considering this sort of context for the word, but I have a feeling Kojima will do something crazy with it.

Prurient

Banned
The logos on them posters seem like the 'Stranding' part might not be the meaning to be stranded somewhere, but strands as in threads?

Mahonay

Banned
I wanted something absolutely insane from a Kojima free from Konami. It looks like I'm going to get my wish. Easily my favorite teaser from E3. It gave me goosebumps.

The logos on them posters seem like the 'Stranding' part might not be the meaning to be stranded somewhere, but strands as in threads?

Yeah, I had the same thoughts earlier.

It just clicked in my head that the "Stranding" in "Dead Stranding" might have something to do with all of the black strands of stuff laying all around and also present in the poster pics...

Makes sense. But I do also wonder about the black strands of stuff all over the place. I mean I wonder how everyone is pronouncing the title.

A. Death -pause- stranding. Where stranding is the verb. IE: Death is stranding something.

B. Death stranding. Where Death is the adjective and stranding is the noun. IE: Strands of death.

I'm sure I'm missing a few combinations but it's really late here lol.

Perhaps it's a combination of both that would explain the dead stranded whales and sea creatures and the black strands of stuff that looks like is attached to them?... Man I haven't been this intrigued about a game in years lol.

An interesting analysis of the trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgR90b0mi8g

Still waiting for yongyea's detailed analysis and maybe more of pythonselkan's crazy conspiracies.

There will have been so much detective work done on this game by the time it's out, I can only imagine the kind of pleasure Kojima will take in that! I think I'll try to steer clear of any analysis of this game, personally, even if what we saw was simply a teaser. It's not the accuracy of the analysis I'm worried about so much as it is the ideas getting stuck in my head, potentially stripping away whatever element of surprise Death Stranding has to offer, and on the surface, that seems to be quite a bit.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I had the same thoughts earlier.

Yes! I started thinking of it like "B" in my post above. Definitely something to do with the cords coming from the dead creatures, not to mention the cord initially linking Reedus and the child.

Putting the emphasis on "Death" makes it sound like a composite-verb, like a "Death Strand" is a concept, and "Death Stranding" is carrying it out as an action.

... Makes it even more creepy.

So after reading more on stuff that's coming out it looks like this involves stuff like Black Holes possibly?

Kojima going hard sci-fi isn't he?

Juicy Bob

Yes! I started thinking of it like "B" in my post above. Definitely something to do with the cords coming from the dead creatures, not to mention the cord initially linking Reedus and the child.

Putting the emphasis on "Death" makes it sound like a composite-verb, like a "Death Strand" is a concept, and "Death Stranding" is carrying it out as an action.

... Makes it even more creepy.
Like an umbilical cord that induces death, rather than nurturing the life of an organism?

That is creepy.

This wouldn't surprise me. He's mentioned many times that 2001: A Space Odyssey is his favourite film, or at least one of them.

Man I hope he does. I would love to see what Kojima does in a full on hard sci-fi game. It could be crazy as hell if he doesn't have any kind of constraints like he's had with the Metal Gear Universe

Man I hope he does. I would love to see what Kojima does in a full on hard sci-fi game. It could be crazy as hell if he doesn't have any kind of constraints like he's had with the Metal Gear Universe

He's dabbled in sci-fi before with games like Snatcher and Policenauts. Snacher is heavily inspired by Blade Runner and Policenauts is essentially a sci-fi version of Lethal Weapon.

I think the dude fell from heaven and he's hugging the baby bc it represents humanity.

I pulling shit out of my ass here as you can clearly see.

Metal Gear is pretty scifi as well. I mean, giant robots, cyborgs and whatnot.

But we aren't talking full on HARD sci-fi like Black Holes. I think we may be getting into true sci-fi and not just things like "robots". Like actual space / science concepts and if so it could be insane

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I love Kojima... man I really need to get around to MGSV, all the Gaf negativity around that game put me off, but I gots to play it now anyways

That's like ink running. He had an ink-like substance on his hands. That symbolism means something, but who knows what.

Not only that, but the title itself has 8 ink "strands" running down.

Hold on, its only the letters E.A.T. and S.T.I.N.G. that have the ink strands.

HOLY CRAP,...this game is about eating the musical performing artist Sting!!!

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
If we want to go nuts, here's something the floating guys in the sky reminded me of (besides Evangelion):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_satellite

Official explanation is that it's a blanket lost during an EVA mission and an EVA suit is exactly what Ludens is wearing in that recent render. Obviously, the floating dudes aren't the Black Knight satellite but they made me think of it and it's an interesting topic.
I love Kojima... man I really need to get around to MGSV, all the Gaf negativity around that game put me off, but I gots to play it now anyways
I 100%'d it just a few weeks ago, it's a great game. Do play it.

TissueBox

Wow I didn't notice until I looked closely, but Mark Cerny is Technical Producer.

Yep, and talk about out of nowhere. Now we all get the Knack sequel we deserve...

In all seriousness though, that is pretty sweet..! I just saw that earlier today too and blinked twice to make sure. Dream team-up!

Dude ignore that, the negative voices are always louder. It's one of the best games I've played, gameplay just never gets boring, you'll see. It deserves every good note it got.

Also, I think it came out in third place at gaf goty vote or something right?

Aurongel

Popular GAF opinion is that it's at worst a fantastic game that very easily could have been among the best ever made. The negativity largely comes from some clunky narrative decisions, publisher fuckery and some awkward gawking at a dumb character.

Play it fool.

Kyonashi

Read this on Tumblr, sounds pretty interesting:

tumblr_inline_o8sfkoZI1K1tautsj_1280.png

the picture above is from a video of galveston beach after a large oil spill in the gulf of mexico. notice the gray discolored sand and how the oil fills up the hole, similar to how the oil filled up the hand prints on the sand in the trailer.

a live stranding is a form of mass stranding where multiple whales or dolphins are stranded on the beach. but are still alive. so a death stranding must mean when multiple dead whales or dolphins get stranded on a beach. this is important to my theory because after the bp oil spill, many whales were killed and washed up on beaches.

this next theory is really pushing it but i think it’s feasible. what if there was an oil spill that took place in the world of death stranding which wiped out the entire ocean population? or maybe even the entire world was ended because of this? maybe the aliens kojima was talking about caused it?

Kyonashi

Learn the meaning of literally or go see a doctor immediately.

Shall we look in the Oxford Dictionary? http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

Oxford Dictionary said:
literally
Pronunciation: /ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/
ADVERB

1In a literal manner or sense; exactly:
the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout

1.1 informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true:
I have received literally thousands of letters

Don't be a fun killer.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now, I don't know if this was mentioned, but Norman Reedus named his son Mingus.

Either he's a fan of Charles Mingus, or he won a bet with Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow over who can come up with the most over-the-top ridiculous baby name. I pray it's the former.

Top Bottom