• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

LES GO KOJIMA.

I know it won't be out til forever, but man, so happy to see him back making a game.

Hopefully I'll like it more than MGSV :p

That was pretty awful. It wanted to give you some kind of message but it's just a garbled mess of things: naked Norman, dead animals, floating angels(?) that went invisible, out of place music--the artsyness was tried way too hard here. I almost felt as if we'd get King Menethil say, "There must always *lightning strike* a Lich King".

Damn, Norman Reedus making everybody melt.
He's hot, and he likes motorcycles. What's not to like?
Amazing Actor.

The real fucking news though, is a new Kojima game and I love the name and the implications of the concept.

I'm always onboard with Kojima, always.

I'm dancing around like Iggy Pop right now.

That was pretty awful. It wanted to give you some kind of message but it's just a garbled mess of things: naked Norman, dead animals, floating angels(?) that went invisible, out of place music--the artsyness was tried way too hard here. I almost felt as if we'd get King Menethil say, "There must always *lightning strike* a Lich King".
How do you know it's just a garbled mess of things?
There are probably lots of elements in the trailer that will have thematic links with the game, just because we can't make sense of them yet doesn't make it awful. That's the point of a teaser, no? To give us a flavour of what to expect.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
"Death Stranding".

This sounds like someone who knows English somewhat but doesn't really understand the culture trying to be clever. Honor and shame are huge parts of it. Kojima is an inverse weaboo.

EvB

Just spent too long making this

3o72FcouJlnJpd6hHi.gif

Guys check out the handcuffs, they have a blue light around the rim, they give off a sci if vibe to me

Kojima mentioned something about the stranded one being from out of the world in question. Maybe "Reedus" is an outsider who found himself in the realm of the five beings? Something like that!

Your palette, expand it. Is surrealism not a thing now or?

I've figured out what this is.

All the whales on the beach.

The floating sky sharks.

This is Kojima's Ecco the Dolphin reboot.

Starring Norman Reedus as his new character, Pachinko.

This game looks really intriguing actually, though.

How do you know it's just a garbled mess of things?
There are probably lots of elements in the trailer that will have thematic links with the game, just because we can't make sense of them yet doesn't make it awful. That's the point of a teaser, no? To give us a flavour of what to expect.

Because the garbled mess of things doesn't evoke anything other than "KOJIMAAAAA!", "OK." and "benderneat.jpg". Is it horror, action, suspense, mystery... what? Turns out it's an action game.

There are good teasers and then there are bad teasers. This is the latter.

Because the garbled mess of things doesn't evoke anything other than "KOJIMAAAAA!", "OK." and "benderneat.jpg". Is it horror, action, suspense, mystery... what? Turns out it's an action game.

There are good teasers and then there are bad teasers. This is the latter.

Say what you will but about the groundswell around Kojima but the man can make trailers. This teaser hasn't reached MGSV levels but its still far above any other teasers show at E3 this year.

This feels like a dream sequence from the TV Show Hannibal.

Im having flashbacks when I first saw the very first phantom pain teaser. Maybe there is something hidden in this teaser too? C'mon DetectiveGAF lets see if we can find anything

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is an art project i am fully behind. And it blows the mind the entire Sony gamer audience is behind it too. Anomaly if you could ever define one.

Hedge

This is really cool. I don't really find Norman attractive, but I loved the motif of a naked man on a dark beach full of death and oil. Really grim.

jayu26

This thing fired up my imagination as soon as I was at the conference. Holly shit Kojima! If you can back this up with new and interesting gameplay, we might have something truly special.

Golnei

This feels like a dream sequence from the TV Show Hannibal.

You're right, there does seem to be a bit of stylistic similarity there. Actually, has Kojima ever commented on the show? I wouldn't be surprised if he were a fan, but I can't recall him ever talking about it specifically.

This is really cool. I don't really find Norman attractive, but I loved the motif of a naked man on a dark beach full of death and oil. Really grim.

Reedus himself doesn't do much for me, but the scars, hand marks, dog tags and handcuffs are all very evocative touches. After MGSV basically ignored the sexualised portrayals of men so common in Kojima's earlier work, it's good to see the theme return here. Especially when it's also used so well from an atmospheric and thematic point of view.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kojima coming out to the Mad Max music was some classic shit. Kojima is a big Fury Road fan and they picked the right track. Smart folks.

It just clicked in my head that the "Stranding" in "Dead Stranding" might have something to do with all of the black strands of stuff laying all around and also present in the poster pics...

Weird name; congrats to everyone that called that it was Reedus.

Hell of a teaser. Surreal and eye catching, vintage Kojima. The name Death Stranding doesn't exactly pop but I'll get used to it. Now to wait while they make it.

Death Stranding is a really dumb name. Still, HYPE.
Since the name is so weird, I wonder if its actually the subtitle for something else, kind of like Phantom Pain after it was revealed.

Mobius 1

I never knew I wanted a Kojima Evangelion movie, but I do now.

That's the impression it left on me, and that's high praise.

sono

Great trailer although I have no idea what the game is about

I've figured out what this is.

All the whales on the beach.

The floating sky sharks.

This is Kojima's Ecco the Dolphin reboot.

Starring Norman Reedus as his new character, Pachinko.

lol

Top Bottom