• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

The trailer is amazing as a videoclip or short film, but I'm questionning how far the actual game will stray from this. I'm hoping they keep all the weirdness and "David-Lynch-movie" feels I got watching it... but when you put the prologue of MGS V and the actual game together, it's a really different mood and experience in the end.

Still, he's alone at the helm this time so no excuses to stray from his promises, make a weird game Kojima, go all the way !

MGSV did not feel like "A Hideo Kojima Game." Fine for what it was, but clearly made under some degree of duress.

There's no guarantee that he can actually ship a game without bosses constantly looking over his shoulder, but god dammit am I excited to see him try. I want to know what he's been itching to let out all those years he was shackled to Metal Gear. I want to go full Kojima.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still so disturbed and strangely moved by this trailer...

The child is so small and helpless, and being held by such a powerful-looking, yet just as naked and vulnerable man leaves such an impression.
The facial capture is a little bit uncanny, but it conveys the scene well enough. I feel awful watching Reedus cry for that little guy...

Then that nightmarish feeling of the baby being nothing more than a memory or a hallucination...

Are there any other (relatively young) parents out there feeling something similar?

Hold me ;_;

I dunno, it could be good it could be shit. Nobody can tell going by this trailer.

The trailer just looked like a dig at the situation he was in rather than anything about an actual game in his usual style.

You have his baby (metal gear) taken away from him by force (the scar) which was connected by a digital umbilical cord, as he wears a handcuff which indicates he was once held captive, surrounded by dead sea creatures such as sperm whales (moby dick) indicated the death of the studio. With the hand prints of others on him and around him, oil representing money and that he is also implicit of doing things for money and that his baby (metal gear) also did things for this reason. six dog tags around his neck symbolise the six canon metal gear games. My guess on the figures is that they represent the people who forcefully stranded all of those that were beached and dead but Kojima survived and that he is taking the creativity with him intended for Konami as indicated by the use of Norman Reedus.

I doubt it has anything to do with a game except that Norman Reedus is in it. It is basically Kojimas way of telling people what he thinks about the events that unfolded.

Jamiaro

I'm still so disturbed and strangely moved by this trailer...

The child is so small and helpless, and being held by such a powerful-looking, yet just as naked and vulnerable man leaves such an impression.
The facial capture is a little bit uncanny, but it conveys the scene well enough. I feel awful watching Reedus cry for that little guy...

Then that nightmarish feeling of the baby being nothing more than a memory or a hallucination...

Are there any other (relatively young) parents out there feeling something similar?

Hold me ;_;

I feel you, man! That trailer got to me too. I have an 8 month old daughter and a 4yr old son. *power-hug*

Getting real though, I think that it is possible to gleam something from the trailer about what the final product will be.

It's probably some kind of first/third person adventure game with Reedus as the player and protagonist. It will probably be quite dream like with lots of symbolism, dealing existentially with death, and perhaps involving horror elements eg. body horror (umbilical cord), psychological horror (a dead baby) and ghosts?

I'd put my money on the plot being some kind of odyssey in which the main character experiences some kind of grief and is gradually transported into a twisted world he is not entirely sure is real/unreal, haunted by these 5 figures we saw in the trailer, searching for redemption/closure.

Mokujin

Trailer was a masterful mindfuck.

Music was awesome (kojima has sublime taste for this), and the setting was so intriging, really want to know more.

But please, no more
wolbachia thingies...

Seijuro

The trailer just looked like a dig at the situation he was in rather than anything about an actual game in his usual style.

You have his baby (metal gear) taken away from him by force (the scar) which was connected by a digital umbilical cord, as he wears a handcuff which indicates he was once held captive, surrounded by dead sea creatures such as sperm whales (moby dick) indicated the death of the studio. With the hand prints of others on him and around him, oil representing money and that he is also implicit of doing things for money and that his baby (metal gear) also did things for this reason. six dog tags around his neck symbolise the six canon metal gear games. My guess on the figures is that they represent the people who forcefully stranded all of those that were beached and dead but Kojima survived and that he is taking the creativity with him intended for Konami as indicated by the use of Norman Reedus.

I doubt it has anything to do with a game except that Norman Reedus is in it. It is basically Kojimas way of telling people what he thinks about the events that unfolded.

I like this analysis, could very well be true.

2016-06-1412_04_40-ma4guha.png

Hey the actor looks pretty built in real life. Do you think that maybe uhmm..... ummm....

They did a special mo-cap session?

beril

So .. is this the fox engine? Did kojima
get himself fired and leave with the fox engine?

you don't really need a game engine for a CG trailer.

In his talk at Nordic Game a couple of months ago it sounded like they still hadn't decided on an engine to use

i seriously don't understand why he did this teaser so soon. It will be years until the game is released. Now every e3 we will discuss if death stranding will appear for the next 5 years

Skele7on

Banned
Imagine if this whole game is a horror story inspired by MGSV development.
just imagine GAF and the sub reddit, it would probably be something that would be the most interesting game ever.

Business

Bravo.

Javier23

Banned

So MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4?

Why is it that whenever Kojima is involved people start reading far too much into everything?

bunkitz

I'm really excited and surprised that Kojima actually had something to show this early, but I'm really confused. Didn't he say this was all in-engine footage or something? But they also said that they haven't settled on an engine yet, so... what, is this just made using one of the engines they're considering? Cause that would be weird.

This is fucking brilliant. I love this.

Looks like a really good movie lol... I love Kojima but I wish the ominous confusing albeit gorgeous CGI trailer came with any sort of indication that it is in fact a video game lol

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Are we sure, that Kojima was really on the E3 stage? What if it was all a ruse, to deceive us, and the Hideo Kojima that revealed himself was actually CG

PokéKong

The floating objects remind me of the Occuria, those creepy gods from Final Fantasy XII. Their arrangement definitely suggests something deific to me.

Also under the unusual circumstances of a baby presumably born from a man's body, clutching and crying with a fatherly connection does not really make sense as the first emotional response, if the situation were simple there would be more horror. It seems more like this is a person who was turned into a baby somehow, perhaps the one who previously filled the empty side of those techno handcuffs

nkarafo

So it's going to be a game (i assume) by Hideo Kojima with Norman Reedus. That's the only info i got from this. So i have to be a fan of Hideo's work in order to be interested at all.

I'm not so this trailer was, like, the most uninteresting thing i have seen in years.

Reedus is cool in Boondock Saints though.

I know I might sound harsh but these are my feelings
-this is a message from Kojima to the world
-there is hardly a project behind it
I hope to be proven wrong, but that Raiden bullshit before the P* treatment is still stuck in my mind.
Hope Sony will support Kojima during this difficult transition

_Clash_

Getting real though, I think that it is possible to gleam something from the trailer about what the final product will be.

It's probably some kind of first/third person adventure game with Reedus as the player and protagonist. It will probably be quite dream like with lots of symbolism, dealing existentially with death, and perhaps involving horror elements eg. body horror (umbilical cord), psychological horror (a dead baby) and ghosts?

I'd put my money on the plot being some kind of odyssey in which the main character experiences some kind of grief and is gradually transported into a twisted world he is not entirely sure is real/unreal, haunted by these 5 figures we saw in the trailer, searching for redemption/closure.

My thoughts exactly.

Rather quaint if you think about it

I look forward to playing this in 2020
I think I understood which feelings Kojima wanted to pass on with this trailer. Full of Konami and his past creation references.

1 - The footprints are set on the ground and then erased. Like all the efforts Kojima offered to Konami.

2 - Reedus is naked, representing the shame Kojima was exposed to in his last days working for Konami.

3 - The broken shackles are the bound between him and the company being destroyed.

4 - The baby represents his suddenly lost creation (Metal Gear), and Reedus cries of pain and sorrow depicting Kojima's suffering.

5 - The hand marks on the body and the ink in Reedus depicts the weight of having a great successful game series on his name.

6 - The swamps shows that will be a dire path to establish another blockbuster.

7 - The crabs are other developers that never made such greatness as his.

Somewhat I felt soul connected to Kojima. It was strange.
Beautiful.

Shows nothing, not even Norman Reedus' wang.

For the time this is going to take to arrive (I'm guessing 2019 given Kojima's tack record), this teaser will be long forgotten and probably have zero in common with what the final game ends up being.

Someone needs to let Kojima just make a movie, one time. To get it out of his system.

Synless

What is Kojima's obsession with using that guy? He tried to use him for Silent Hills too. I don't see the draw.

For the time this is going to take to arrive (I'm guessing 2019 given Kojima's tack record), this teaser will be long forgotten and probably have zero in common with what the final game ends up being.

Someone needs to let Kojima just make a movie, one time. To get it out of his system.

Yep I feel you
Kojima is telling us something about Kojima nowadays, not about his next project

eloxx

That totally makes sense. Great analysis. Not so easy too come up with all that.

If the game becomes successful it could produce anime and movies according to a previous interview in which he talked about his first game.

What is Kojima's obsession with using that guy? He tried to use him for Silent Hills too. I don't see the draw.

They're friends and he's always looking forward to work with people in Hollywood.

So what did use to make this and how did he even get the time to make it while looking for it?

The whole situation is strange

This game is 2019 the earliest

No idea not to mention that back in December his studio only had 3 employees not counting Kojimas PA. I mean they could have staffed in since then but with no engine it's very much in preproduction. I wouldn't expect it for some time. Mrs was on roughly a 4-5 year dev cycle towards the last few games.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
The impression I got is that they're good friends and obviously the last project he tried to do with him never came to fruition. Not that weird to try again now that he can afford a big project thanks to Sony and I expect a lot of what he had in mind for the Silent Hill reboot will make it into Death Stranding.

Top Bottom