• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

Vaga

Ck6MOdnWEAAYa3I.jpg

r=2GM/c² aka Schwarzschild radius (sometimes historically referred to as the gravitational radius) is the radius of a sphere such that, if all the mass of an object were to be compressed within that sphere, the escape velocity from the surface of the sphere would equal the speed of light. An example of an object where the mass is within its Schwarzschild radius is a black hole. Once a stellar remnant collapses to or below this radius, light cannot escape and the object is no longer directly visible, thereby forming a black hole.

discuss

Moofers

So who is Norman Reedus?
A major character and huuuge fan favorite on the show "The Walking Dead". There will be Norman Reedus fans who pick this up just because he's in it.

I am pretty excited about this one. It's great to see Kojima working on a project entirely his own and to see Norman is still the star!

Venom Fox

Banned
Where? , the new yorker reported in December that they had 4 staff and one was his PA. That includes Hideo and Shikawa. Like I said they will have staffed up since then but their website shows they still need a glut of staff for nearly every role.
Just Google Kojima Productions. There's a pic of them standing there like superheroes lol.

I don't doubt they'll need a ton of more staff though. They'll be gearing up for production very soon.

r=2GM/c² aka Schwarzschild radius (sometimes historically referred to as the gravitational radius) is the radius of a sphere such that, if all the mass of an object were to be compressed within that sphere, the escape velocity from the surface of the sphere would equal the speed of light. An example of an object where the mass is within its Schwarzschild radius is a black hole. Once a stellar remnant collapses to or below this radius, light cannot escape and the object is no longer directly visible, thereby forming a black hole.

discuss

Chill with the spoilers, bro, game isn't even out yet.

Lemondish

If you think about the first hour of MGSV.

And then turned it into a game somehow.

That's what I'm imagining this game will feel like.

Looks absolutely nuts...

That first hour got me hooked to MGS5.

The next hour made me put it down and never pick it up ever again.

Damerman

discuss
Holy mother of fuck! This is the shit i love from kojima. Bring this game on, its bought in my mind.

Vaga

Kojima was a star, konami crushed him but he escaped with the speed of light. Therefore he dropped right at Sony's conference, notice the trail of light.

8GD31dE.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

discuss

Uhm wow, interesting.

Javier23

Banned
Because that is what he does in all his games from way back. He loves his symbolism, metaphor and metonymy. Just using the quote from the William Blake Auguries of Innocence alludes to such as the full poem it is about the mistreatment of people which is full of symbolism and metaphors like he does in his work. It is a pretty standard device within literature and film and Kojima wears the influences on his sleeve.

I was thinking the Solid games MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS5 and MGS:pW.
The Solid games are not the only canon Metal Gear games he's done (and he does remind us of that through the game logos you can find in the Deja Vu mission in GZ which establish which of those in the Metal Gear series remain his and which ones don't), and the Metal Gear games aren't the only ones he's done while in Konami. I'm just taking this as one example of why I don't think your other comparisons are very reliable either. As "deep" and complex his game narratives have always been, I fail to remember any good examples of visual metaphors or symbolism or any other figures of such subtlety in his games except for those his fans constantly claim to find where there's obviously nothing. Being self-referential by copying and subverting the layout of his former games or visually including tons of references to his own or other works of fiction is not the same as what you claim he's doing here. He's an absolutely fantastic storyteller, but again, not a very subtle one. I think you're reading too much into the trailer and very likely the context we now lack we'll have in future trailers when Kojima explains what the heck is going on in the game. But whenever that happens, I'm willing to bet anything that everything we see in the trailer is directly related to the plot of the game and not supposed to depict Kojima's recent tribulations, the same way I don't think anything in GZ or TPP was referencing those regardless of the claims of many of his fans.
Just Google Kojima Productions. There's a pic of them standing there like superheroes lol.

I don't doubt they'll need a ton of more staff though. They'll be gearing up for production very soon.
That's from years ago, from his old Kojima Productions, his studio within Konami.

eloxx

What is Kojima's obsession with using that guy? He tried to use him for Silent Hills too. I don't see the draw.

First of all he is a very talented actor. Second they are friends. I remember reading in an Interview after the cancelation of Silent Hills that Kojima wanted to work with Reedus on something regardless.

What is Kojima's obsession with using that guy? He tried to use him for Silent Hills too. I don't see the draw.

The obsession is that Kojima wants to make a game with him. One. Maybe two. But atleast one. Silent Hills was never made so here we go for round twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

KodaRuss

That was a pretty badass trailer. Very optimistic about this project, great to see Norman Reedus continue with some games also.

Mark Cerny Producing is pretty cool as well.

I don't see how people can say this trailer was bad. Maybe uninformative, maybe not your style, but nothing about this trailer was bad by any means. It was a tonal declaration.

gaugebozo

discuss

The equation in the back is the Dirac equation. It's an equation from quantum field theory that describes particles like electrons.

RedFury

Damn, trailer was pretty chilling. Death stranding as in stranded? All the dead animals beached [or stranded], Norman stranded (handcuffed on what looks like a dying planet) , and what looks like 5 celestial beings in the sky watching with indifference...creepy.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Maybe he traveled inside a Black Hole and ends up at this beach scene. Much like how in 2001: A Space Odyssey, astronaut David Bowman enters the Black Monolith and ends up in a fancy room, subsequently reincarnated into the star child.

Piers

Maybe he traveled inside a Black Hole and ends up at this beach scene. Much like how in 2001: A Space Odyssey, astronaut David Bowman enters the Black Monolith and ends up in a fancy room, subsequently reincarnated into the star child.

He actually enters it? That's interesting, I assumed he was going faster than light.

Whoever linked to the Cetacean Stranding Wiki link you're a genius. I had no idea there was a term for that outside of "beached" or "beached whale."

See also: The Quiet Earth (1985)

the-quiet-earth-beach.jpg

The suggestion there is
the protagonist has entered purgatory in the final scene
. I could quite imagine Kojima having seen this film at least once.

Trailer gave me End of Evangelion flashbacks. I'd kinda like Kojima to go full sci-fi crazy in this one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got that vibe! Specifically, the ending scene of EoE. I guess it's just the post-apocalyptic-feeling combined with the dead, empty beach, the ominous figures in the distance and the WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING factor.

I had been worried that Kojima would make another stealth military game. I'm glad he's gone full insanity on this one.

Top Bottom