• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Announced: A Kojima Productions Game

Dynomutt

They secretly still own the rights to Hideo Kojima's name, likeness and bodily organs.

Konami sent the Repo-Men...
3238.jpg

I'm still so disturbed and strangely moved by this trailer...

The child is so small and helpless, and being held by such a powerful-looking, yet just as naked and vulnerable man leaves such an impression.
The facial capture is a little bit uncanny, but it conveys the scene well enough. I feel awful watching Reedus cry for that little guy...

Then that nightmarish feeling of the baby being nothing more than a memory or a hallucination...

Are there any other (relatively young) parents out there feeling something similar?

Hold me ;_;

I said it earlier but yeah, this is exactly how it got me. Very moving, very powerful and very intriguing. Best trailer I've seen in years.

iMax

I hope it's not been asked a billion times already, but on behalf of my sister (I think I already know the answer though), is this going to be a Sony exclusive? If yes, Kojima Productions as a studio team is still third party, yes?

Sort of.

It's coming out on PS4 and PC (at a later date).

Kojima doesn't own the rights to the IP, however—Sony does.

r=2GM/c² aka Schwarzschild radius (sometimes historically referred to as the gravitational radius) is the radius of a sphere such that, if all the mass of an object were to be compressed within that sphere, the escape velocity from the surface of the sphere would equal the speed of light. An example of an object where the mass is within its Schwarzschild radius is a black hole. Once a stellar remnant collapses to or below this radius, light cannot escape and the object is no longer directly visible, thereby forming a black hole.

I copy and pasted my copy and paste. Let me go find who posted this and then re-edit this. But this was in the Sony Conference page.

Maybe he traveled inside a Black Hole and ends up at this beach scene. Much like how in 2001: A Space Odyssey, astronaut David Bowman enters the Black Monolith and ends up in a fancy room, subsequently reincarnated into the star child.

I am totally thinking the same thing.

wilsonda

Hmmm... I'm intrigued by this game but I'm so torn. Will Kojima be good or is he just overhyped? There is no denying his talent but does his new IP sink or swim? The hype levels alone are huge already and will only get larger.

I'm excited to see him out of the shadows of metal gear and I'm still day one haha as long as the game has luden in it.

lifa-cobex

Hmmm... I'm intrigued by this game but I'm so torn. Will Kojima be good or is he just overhyped? There is no denying his talent but does his new IP sink or swim? The hype levels alone are huge already and will only get larger.

I'm excited to see him out of the shadows of metal gear and I'm still day one haha as long as the game has luden in it.

Think that's what I'm most excited about.
He's no longer tired down to a set of hard rules or characters.

It's like the dawn of Kojimas new side.

EpicBox

So my interpretation of the trailer is that Norman Reedus' character is a pedophile who has been arrested for trying to have sex with a baby. Hence, he's naked and handcuffed with the baby.

Or maybe not.

I believe the second equation is the Dirac Equation :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermionic_field

If no one else does i can do a further write up when I get home from work

I found this link, which suggests it's a pretty important part of quantum mechanics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_equation

It essentially unites the world's of the very small, fuzzy, quantum mechanics withe the big "normal world of physics (ignoring gravity)

It implied that anti matter exists (which we now know it does )

The first article also suggests that it is related to the exclusion principle which essentially says that no two particles can be in the same place at the same time.

Whether kojima just wanted a cool quantum mechanics formula, or specifically wants to reference the ideas of matter and antimatter, who can say!

Mathezar

Intriguing to say the least.

I guess this could only be UE4? I mean, in the timeframe between leaving Konami, going on his "technology tour" and producing this, surely it could only be made with tech that facilitates (almost) everything out of the box and comes pretty much free of licensing/costs until an actual game is ready to be sold...

Edzi

I've had a love/hate relationship with Kojima ever since MGS4, and with MGSV it's been firmly in the hate side of things for a while... But no longer being shackled to MGS seems to have been the best thing that could have happened to him, and I'm excited to finally see his craziness in a game that isn't tied down to an established lore.

That final shot in the trailer is exactly the kind of thing I want to see more of.

Marvel

could never
Soooo maybe the suit he will end up wearing in the game will have black hole teleport tech or some shit lol.

RangerBAD

This is going to be Kojima's Evangelion, huh? That means he'll never make anything good after it. Or he'll do half of a romance game and then leave.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is gonna be the Silent Hills project, it's so obvious.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Obviously we know next to nothing about this, but the spoiled brat in me still feels salty about his current project most likely not being a horror game.

This could end up in that direction, but the the sheer possibility that a project was teased and killed, then inspiring a bunch of other content that didn't amount to much, finally being scrapped altogether for something entirely new leaves me feeling hollow.

As a community, I don't think we are "owed" a completed form of P.T., but it is saddening to know that might just be the reality.

Zackat

Obviously we know next to nothing about this, but the spoiled brat in me still feels salty about his current project most likely not being a horror game.

This could end up in that direction, but the the sheer possibility that a project was teased and killed, then inspiring a bunch of other content that didn't amount to much, finally being scrapped altogether for something entirely new leaves me feeling hollow.

As a community, I don't think we are "owed" a completed form of P.T., but it is saddening to know that might just be the reality.
RE7 seems to be a love letter to P. T. Not the same, but the influence is obvious. Kojima will probably have some type of horror elements in this. It looks like it already.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RE7 seems to be a love letter to P. T. Not the same, but the influence is obvious. Kojima will probably have some type of horror elements in this. It looks like it already.
Title means a gathering of death, it's a horror title.

EVIL

RE7 demo is just a teaser and was confirmed to not be in this format for the full game

imjust1n

Banned
Was in the Theater and holy shit it went crazy for this game. Im excited for this game. It was the number one thing that blew me away

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I found this link, which suggests it's a pretty important part of quantum mechanics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_equation

It essentially unites the world's of the very small, fuzzy, quantum mechanics withe the big "normal world of physics (ignoring gravity)

It implied that anti matter exists (which we now know it does )

The first article also suggests that it is related to the exclusion principle which essentially says that no two particles can be in the same place at the same time.

Whether kojima just wanted a cool quantum mechanics formula, or specifically wants to reference the ideas of matter and antimatter, who can say!

Based on its proximity to the other equation I'm going to go with some sort of unified theory and that it's very intentional. Field theory provides an appropriate mathematical formalism for studying black holes and space-time. Considering the themes of the game, I doubt it's coincidental.

Wollan

Calling it: First (and only) game/studio outside EA to get hands on Frostbite engine. It's expertly tuned for PS4 with large scale situations at a high framerate (similar goal as Fox engine).

I copy and pasted my copy and paste. Let me go find who posted this and then re-edit this. But this was in the Sony Conference page.

Someone just wrote a little something about these equations on Tumblr.

GUYS. In the promotional art of Death Stranding we can see Norman Reedus’ character wearing multiple dog tags. Two of these read out equations. What do these equations have in common? Black Holes.
One of these is the Schwarzschild Metric. It’s related to black holes. It describes gravitational fields outside of spherical masses or the assumption that electric charges of mass and momentum of the mass are all zero before calculating the stability of a black hole.
The schwarzschild black hole is a black hole that has no charge or angular momentum and is surrounded by an event horizon.
Though the equation itself relates directly more to the Schwarzschild radius, which is the maximum radius of a really fucking big thing which the escape velocity reaches the highest thingy it can. (See, the speed of light).
Basically there’s some crazy ass space/time shit going on here
This could be the most scientific way ever to explain “The light will escape from the darkness”.
The other equation looks like the Dirac equation, which relates to waves in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It usually covers the hydrogen spectrum. Considering antihydrogens are the most presumed type of element that would be used for the development of the warp drive, this could only go into further confirmation this is all in relation to wormholes and black holes.

Top Bottom